O.T? Red light Cameras

rock-a-day johnny

Sep 5, 2008, 4:08:49 PM9/5/08
Do those cameras that take your picture when you "Run" a red light also
"click" if you drive through a red that's been so for a minute?
just curious george.
--
If guns are out-lawed. Only the Out-laws & politicians will have guns.

Al Bundy

Sep 5, 2008, 5:16:53 PM9/5/08

rock-a-day johnny wrote:
> Do those cameras that take your picture when you "Run" a red light also
> "click" if you drive through a red that's been so for a minute?
> just curious george.
> --

We don't have red light cameras here and I can't say for sure. Reason
tells me that the camera must be tied to the signal rather than taking
continuous pictures and pulling out the digital shots on red. I assume
you are talking about the odd condition where light sticks in a
position because it is broken. If it is broken, you can't trust that
the camera will stop taking pictures either so you would end up
fighting the municipality and trying to prove the signal was stuck and
you had to cross. This happens so rarely. (Put a rag over your plate
and drive through?)

In my area, when lights change from a night cycle to a rush hour
cycle, they sometimes stick on the one color before continuing. They
only do that for one extra change. I guess it could go for a minute or
more in some cases. In that case, you'd be going through a true red
light and deserve a ticket. I have seen lights timed for as much as
three (3) minutes in one direction. This is usually done to move heavy
traffic. When there is no traffic, the temptation to proceed on a red
is great indeed. Police have increased the use of tickets to generate
revenue because of fuel costs. I see all kinds of cheap tickets being
written around here. Driver beware.

larry

Sep 6, 2008, 2:58:19 PM9/6/08
rock-a-day johnny wrote:
> Do those cameras that take your picture when you "Run" a red light also
> "click" if you drive through a red that's been so for a minute?
> just curious george.

Most of the ones in Dallas area are "live" cameras that they
send you the best frame of your flying thru the red light.
I don't know how long they save the recordings, would need
to be months to cover the trials.

They also tried using the images for improper turn on right
too. By law, you need to STOP before doing the right on red
here.

Of course, now half the Dallas Cameras are empty shells,
they are loosing money on the cost they pay ACS to run the
program. Of course city assured us the cameras were for the
safety, not the money ;-) The state now gets 1/2 the ticket
money. West Texas removed all their cameras, too many
increased rear enders at all their lights.

Arlington, new home of the cowboys, also camera their
railroad crossings at $150 per ticket. Well worth it, great
videos of truck wipe-outs as the train hauls an 18 wheeler
hundreds of feet down the track, cleaning out crossing
equipment on the way.

Some of the small cities here that make their budgets with
speed traps are adding small, single pole mounted cameras.
Those might be self contained digital still cameras and not
be "live" cameras with microwave links back to a datacenter
like in Dallas. In any case, the cam is pix happy anytime
something metallic passes it's road sensor while the light
is NOT green.

-- larry / dallas

Shawn Hirn

Sep 6, 2008, 4:29:58 PM9/6/08
In article
<georgewkspam-0EC2...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
rock-a-day johnny <george...@humboldt1.com> wrote:

> Do those cameras that take your picture when you "Run" a red light also
> "click" if you drive through a red that's been so for a minute?
> just curious george.

I suppose it depends on which community you are referring to. In
Philadelphia, if the photo shows you in the intersection when the light
is red, you get a ticket. How long the light was red before you entered
the intersection is irrelevant with Philadelphia's system.