Printer ink refill

aest...@hotmail.com

May 5, 2008, 8:15:41 AM5/5/08
Where do you go for yours?

Dave

May 5, 2008, 8:26:50 AM5/5/08

<aest...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:bc5e6c7b-c2ce-4835...@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com...

> Where do you go for yours?

If you're still using a printer that can be refilled with ink, the frugal
thing to do is replace it with a laser printer. One cartridge lasts several
years. -Dave

Al Bundy

May 5, 2008, 11:03:58 AM5/5/08

And if he doesn't need a new printer, why should he spend money on a
new one instead of refilling?

If one cart lasts you several years, you ain't printing very much.
However, if the OP is in the same boat, a laser would avoid the
problems of ink drying up on him.

Dave

May 5, 2008, 11:14:13 AM5/5/08

>> If you're still using a printer that can be refilled with ink, the frugal
>> thing to do is replace it with a laser printer. One cartridge lasts
>> several
>> years. -Dave
>
> And if he doesn't need a new printer, why should he spend money on a
> new one instead of refilling?

Because the cost of several refills will pay for a new printer? I don't
know if you've noticed, but printers are CHEAP now. A laser printer will
pay for itself long before it wears out, even if you are in the habit of
refilling ink cartridges.

> If one cart lasts you several years, you ain't printing very much.

We average 2-3 pages per day, which isn't very much. Sometimes we print
hundreds of pages at a time though. Inkjets were wicked expensive to
maintain, and I refilled the inkjet cartridges.

> However, if the OP is in the same boat, a laser would avoid the
> problems of ink drying up on him.

We didn't have much of a problem with ink drying out on us. I just got
tired of paying for the ink, as it was wicked expen$ive even if you
refilled. And refilling was messy. -Dave

JR Weiss

May 5, 2008, 11:19:28 AM5/5/08
<aest...@hotmail.com> wrote...

> Where do you go for yours?

I don't. If I had the inclination, I'd try the local Office Depot, just because
they're convenient.

I tried the home refill kits twice in the past. Both of them failed miserably.

May 5, 2008, 11:32:28 AM5/5/08

"Al Bundy" <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

I found a place online with HP compatible laser carts for $25 including
shipping, and they're just as good as the $80 ones at Staples. I print about
20 pages a day, and the carts last 6-8 months. Can't say the same for the
color printer, which just drinks up toner. Here's the link:

www.SuppliesExperts.com and no, I don't work there, just found them while
surfing.

Jeff

May 5, 2008, 11:37:37 AM5/5/08

That's a very good plan for office type work. Lasers have gotten much
cheaper, particularly the B&W models. And laser print looks very good on
ordinary paper.

If you are printing photographs, you've got other issues.

The "Do It Yourself" kits can be disasters in waiting (haven't tried
one recently) and I have a friend that got a leaky cartridge refill at OD.

Media Street has a good reputation for bulk inkers, if you can go that
way. With Epsons they have a kit that runs lines from the reservoir.

I'm sick of Epson myself and just switched to HP (with seperate color
cartridges). When the HP run a cleaning cycle it recycles the ink back
into the cartridge, Anyone who has had an Epson with voids in say
magenta knows the irritation of trying to clear that while watching all
your ink levels fall.

Jeff

Al Bundy

May 5, 2008, 4:35:55 PM5/5/08

Refilling is not for everyone. I found Epson printers a complete waste
of time, for example. I have certain Canons with big tanks and HPs
with that 42ml black cart. I'm only paying $1/oz. for ink and have
only purchased one cart in 15 years. My printers are very busy, but
with the refills so cheap, I can't justify going to a color laser.
People need to investigate all their options.

Gordon

May 5, 2008, 7:56:27 PM5/5/08
"aest...@hotmail.com" <aest...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:bc5e6c7b-
c2ce-4835-b0b...@c65g2000hsa.googlegroups.com:

> Where do you go for yours?

Local shop. They do good work and use a good quality ink.
I actualy drive past 3 other shops to get to this one.
A local shop is better than getting a refill on-line.
If somthing goes wrong, you can always go in and bang your
fist on the counter untill you get some satisfaction. but,
I have never had to do that with this shop. They always
take care of me.

SMS

May 5, 2008, 11:14:20 PM5/5/08
aest...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Where do you go for yours?

About twice a year the Business Costco sells after-market cartridges for
my printer for less than the cost of refills, (they sell them all year,
but twice a year they have a sale that makes them a really good deal).

Other than that, Cartridge World does a good job. Walgreen's is cheaper
but they seem to always have problems with the refills.

aest...@hotmail.com

May 6, 2008, 12:36:18 AM5/6/08
On May 5, 2:15 am, "aesthe...@hotmail.com" <aesthe...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Where do you go for yours?

Thanks to all for your quick and informative replies.

I just thought I would mention that the May issue of CONSUMER REPORTS
has an article on printers.

Dave

May 6, 2008, 7:34:16 AM5/6/08

<aest...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Yeah, read that and whatever CR recommends, avoid it like the plague.
:) -Dave

Frank

May 7, 2008, 10:45:14 PM5/7/08

"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message

I always buy the commercial rated black and white laser printer/copier. I
had problems with HP and Lexmark printers but Canon seems to be very
reliable. My $1,200 Lexmark Optra+ died right after I purchase my first $300
replacement cartridge - ouch! Lasers are so much cheaper now.

I'm not sure if its frugal to replace a color ink printer with a color laser
though.