Rental Car Using Prepaid Visa ?

Chris Mc 3

May 21, 2008, 4:06:07 PM5/21/08
Going on vacation next week (Denver via Amtrack) and am considering
renting a car for just a day or two while there, to visit some friends
on the outskirts, check out the mountains etc.

Problem is I dont have a credit card, and I really dont want (wouldnt
use) one for any other reason, as my bank card has always been
sufficient and it does have the Visa logo which means I can buy stuff
online or at most stores, provided I have the available funds, which is
the way I prefer it anyway, but (from what I understand) in order to
rent a car you need a regular, major credit card. (?)

I have known for awhile that you can get one through Western Union, and
I see them advertised all over the place, Rite Aid, Costco etc, and at
first glance (at least to me) doesnt seem like you can tell any
difference between one of those (prepaid) and a 'Bank Issued' card.

My question...Is it possible to use a prepaid card to rent a car ? I
have a friend who says he just did it last month, and of course they
(rental company) put a $500 lien against his card (which he made sure
was in there) plus the rental fees etc, but I made a few phone calls to
some of the major Rental Car places and they said NO WAY...The machine
can tell when they scan card through it that its not a 'Real' credit
card.

I know another person who (says) purchased one (prepaid visa) from
Target and didnt find out till he got out on the road (he was on
vacation) that he could not withdrew cash, only purchase goods &
services.

SOooo...(1) Have any of you had success renting a car with a pre-paid
card ? (2) What might be the best rental company to go with, that allows
pre-paid ? (3) Are all the pre-paids basically the same, or what would
you recommend ?

An help/advice will be most appreciated.

Feel free to e-mail me directly if you wish.

Thanks in advance.

Chris Mc 3

William Souden

May 21, 2008, 4:35:46 PM5/21/08

I have used a debit card many times to rent cars. Just call ahead of
time. The Western union type can not be used.
Keep in mind that with a debit card they will pull out the full cost
and maybe more at the time of rental and it may take a few days after
the return to get any money that is due.