Sorta Off Topic - Looking For Ideas...

Joe

Feb 15, 2008, 6:54:30 AM2/15/08
I know the connotation of frugal means spending less, etc... But sometimes
I see it as making more.

I am organizing a charity event this summer and someone has donated a
$5-6000 motorcycle for us to use as we see fit.

I don't want to simply sell it on eBay, etc. I'd like to raffle it off...
But the charity I'm working with doesn't really support raffles because of
their gambling-like nature.

Any other ideas on how to give it away to a random winner while making money
for the charity and not have it be gambling? You guys are creative so I
thought I'd ask...

Joe in Northern, NJ - V#8013-R

Currently Riding The "Mother Ship"
http://yunx.com/valk.htm

Ride a motorcycle in or near NJ?
http://tinyurl.com/hmzj
http://tinyurl.com/5apkg

Anthony Matonak

Feb 15, 2008, 7:20:43 AM2/15/08
Joe wrote:

> I am organizing a charity event this summer and someone has donated a
> $5-6000 motorcycle for us to use as we see fit.
>
> I don't want to simply sell it on eBay, etc. I'd like to raffle it off...
> But the charity I'm working with doesn't really support raffles because of
> their gambling-like nature.
>
> Any other ideas on how to give it away to a random winner while making money
> for the charity and not have it be gambling?

You could auction it off at a charity event. If you do it right, you can
make money on the event itself in addition to the auction.

You could offer it as a prize in some kind of contest, race or other
entertainment. You make your money by charging folks to enter, to watch,
by selling food, pledges on folks completing and so forth.

You could get it on the Tonight Show and have all Leno's guests sign it
and then put it up on Ebay. If you can't get Leno, you might try some
other talk show or local news broadcast. :)

Getting a local artist to donate a custom paint job or a local shop to
add custom parts can help increase its value.

Anthony

Joe

Feb 15, 2008, 6:34:51 PM2/15/08
> You could auction it off at a charity event. If you do it right, you can
> make money on the event itself in addition to the auction.

Not a bad idea... We are having a beefsteak dinner as part of the event...
Maybe there.

Thank you.

nr

Feb 15, 2008, 7:10:38 PM2/15/08
You could have a silent auction for the motorcycle.

Shawn Hirn

Feb 17, 2008, 8:31:44 AM2/17/08
In article <W3ftj.3887$sh.519@trnddc07>,
"Joe" <really-fake...@yunx.com> wrote:

> I know the connotation of frugal means spending less, etc... But sometimes
> I see it as making more.
>
> I am organizing a charity event this summer and someone has donated a
> $5-6000 motorcycle for us to use as we see fit.
>
> I don't want to simply sell it on eBay, etc. I'd like to raffle it off...
> But the charity I'm working with doesn't really support raffles because of
> their gambling-like nature.
>
> Any other ideas on how to give it away to a random winner while making money
> for the charity and not have it be gambling? You guys are creative so I
> thought I'd ask...

If you don't want to auction it off and raffles are out, then just sell
it on craigs list.