Solar window coverings

Marsha

Jul 6, 2008, 7:42:50 PM7/6/08
I recently read a tip about using a car windshield shade, with the
reflective silver or whatever you call it, for home windows. I tried it
and it worked wonderfully, but I had no way to attach the shade in
place except adhesive tape on the window or with clothespins attached to
the drapes. I want to get the same reflective material and make a
removable shade with either suction cups or velcro or whatever to put
over a picture window and sliding glass doors. A Google search found
motor home solar shades that attach with suction cups, but I really
would like just want the material so I can cut it to the exact needed
size. Suggestions?

Marsha/Ohio

Marsha

Jul 6, 2008, 7:47:26 PM7/6/08
Marsha wrote:

Um, that should be "I really would like just the material"

Tommy

Jul 6, 2008, 7:54:30 PM7/6/08
Radiant barrier sewn onto a roll up wind shade.

Marsha

Jul 6, 2008, 8:12:21 PM7/6/08
Tommy wrote:

> Radiant barrier sewn onto a roll up wind shade.

We did look at roll-up window shades. The problem is that they would
interefere with the current window dressings (vertical blinds and drapes).

Marsha/Ohio

Woolstitcher

Jul 6, 2008, 10:01:41 PM7/6/08

"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:g4rla2$fh4$2...@news.datemas.de...

Solar blankets that are sold at WalMart can be cut and sewn (if desired,
they are fine w/ just the cut edge too). They are around $3.00 per huge
blanket.

Gary Heston

Jul 6, 2008, 10:02:13 PM7/6/08

You can come close with the reflective blankets used by campers, such
as this:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81284

They come with other colors on the reverse side; I have one in green,
and I think I've seen red as well. They should hang fine with Velcro.

The big-box home centers will have a thin reflective barrier material,
but it's not designed for frequent handling. The camping blankets will
hold up very well.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"a member or members of Osama bin Ladens' Al Qaeda network, posing as

Marsha

Jul 6, 2008, 10:06:11 PM7/6/08
Woolstitcher wrote:
> Solar blankets that are sold at WalMart can be cut and sewn (if desired,
> they are fine w/ just the cut edge too). They are around $3.00 per huge
> blanket.

Thank you. I will check it out.

Marsha/Ohio

hchi...@hotmail.com

Jul 6, 2008, 11:09:21 PM7/6/08

Not exactly the same, but you could take a sheet of corrugated
cardboard, use spray cement to attach aluminum foil on one side, and
then more spray cement to attach fabric or wallpaper to the opposite
side. Cut to fit with an x-acto, including some wedge tabs to hold it
in place. It'll warp some, which is why you want to adhere something
to both sides. Cardboard is a little safer than using something like
expanded foam.

Marsha

Jul 6, 2008, 10:10:01 PM7/6/08
Gary Heston wrote:

> In article <g4rla2$fh4$2...@news.datemas.de>, Marsha <m...@bex.net> wrote:
>
>>I recently read a tip about using a car windshield shade, with the
>>reflective silver or whatever you call it, for home windows. I tried it
>> and it worked wonderfully, but I had no way to attach the shade in
>>place except adhesive tape on the window or with clothespins attached to
>>the drapes. I want to get the same reflective material and make a
>>removable shade with either suction cups or velcro or whatever to put
>>over a picture window and sliding glass doors. A Google search found
>>motor home solar shades that attach with suction cups, but I really
>>would like just want the material so I can cut it to the exact needed
>>size. Suggestions?
>

> You can come close with the reflective blankets used by campers, such
> as this:
>
> http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___81284
>
> They come with other colors on the reverse side; I have one in green,
> and I think I've seen red as well. They should hang fine with Velcro.
>
> The big-box home centers will have a thin reflective barrier material,
> but it's not designed for frequent handling. The camping blankets will
> hold up very well.
>

> Gary

Well, I never thought of looking in camping equipment, but this just
might do. Thanks a lot.

Marsha/Ohio

Woolstitcher

Jul 6, 2008, 10:16:46 PM7/6/08

"Marsha" <m...@xeb.net> wrote in message news:g4rtmr$sl2$2...@news.datemas.de...

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail&seq_no=2&min_seq_no=402&SingleItem=29017

I just found these, they look like a good idea. you can see out but no one
can see in.
I may order a few for my house.

Marsha

Jul 6, 2008, 10:35:21 PM7/6/08
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> Not exactly the same, but you could take a sheet of corrugated
> cardboard, use spray cement to attach aluminum foil on one side, and
> then more spray cement to attach fabric or wallpaper to the opposite
> side. Cut to fit with an x-acto, including some wedge tabs to hold it
> in place. It'll warp some, which is why you want to adhere something
> to both sides. Cardboard is a little safer than using something like
> expanded foam.

Oh, I like that idea. Very frugal! Thank you very much.

Marsha/Ohio

Marsha

Jul 6, 2008, 10:39:44 PM7/6/08
Woolstitcher wrote:
> http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/cwg_v2/cwg_layout_base2.cfm?mid_sec_page=cwg_prod_detail&seq_no=2&min_seq_no=402&SingleItem=29017
>
> I just found these, they look like a good idea. you can see out but no one
> can see in.
> I may order a few for my house.

The double-duty ones look good, but I wonder if they will fit between
our existing curtains and vertical blinds. Will investigate further.
Thank you.

Marsha/Ohio

Jeff

Jul 7, 2008, 12:01:29 AM7/7/08

You might also look at sheets of polyisocyanurate. It has a reflective
side and it is insulation. You could leave it in for winter. It's pretty
cheap... and tolerates hight temps. 1/2" sheets are rated at R3 and are
well under $10 for a 4 x 8.

Jeff

> Marsha/Ohio

Tommy

Jul 7, 2008, 10:09:48 AM7/7/08
Wal-Mart has replacement screen material for windows. It is a
sunblocker 90. Lowes has some I believe is in different shading levels.

I have 3 windows that could use blocking, or reflecting.

Keep up to date with your findings.