giving in & buying Microsoft Works for an end to nagging

OhioGuy

Jul 1, 2008, 1:49:36 PM7/1/08
For years, I've made do with notepad, then later with Works. Over the
past few years, I bought Wordperfect Office X3 for 25 bucks or so, but my
wife always complained about how nothing I had on the home PC functioned the
same as Microsoft Office (in particular, Word) on the computers at her work.
Today as she vociferously complained, she showed me some strange things
Wordperfect was doing to her margins on her resume, and she was very
frustrated at all the little things it seemed to be changing on its own.

I guess I'm going to finally give in and get a copy of Microsoft Office,
mostly so she has a recent version of Microsoft Word to use. For my
purposes, I'm perfectly happy with the 4.4 Megabyte total size Atlantis Word
processor. However, I guess my desire for harmony at home now outweighs my
desire to increase competition in the word processing arena. (and to save
$100)

So, I'm looking for a good deal on a recent version of Microsoft Word, or
Microsoft Office. We will need to install it on 3 computers (2 desktops,
and 1 laptop) So far, this appears to be the best deal I can find:

http://www.superdealsoftware.com/product_special_detail.php?s=1&id=211
$131 shipped for a 3 computer license and media, Office 2007 home and
student

Can anyone suggest a better deal, or should I pull the trigger on this?

Thanks!

OhioGuy

Jul 1, 2008, 1:49:25 PM7/1/08

Warren Block

Jul 1, 2008, 2:07:37 PM7/1/08
OhioGuy <no...@none.net> wrote:

> So, I'm looking for a good deal on a recent version of Microsoft Word, or
> Microsoft Office. We will need to install it on 3 computers (2 desktops,
> and 1 laptop) So far, this appears to be the best deal I can find:
>
> http://www.superdealsoftware.com/product_special_detail.php?s=1&id=211
> $131 shipped for a 3 computer license and media, Office 2007 home and
> student
>
> Can anyone suggest a better deal, or should I pull the trigger on this?

Don't get Office 2007 unless that's what she uses already. But look at
these first:

http://www.abisource.com/
http://www.openoffice.org/

Seerialmom

Jul 1, 2008, 2:14:55 PM7/1/08

Are you kidding? Google apps or even Star Office are comparable and
from what I understand are compatible with Office *.docs and *.xls
files. Additionally I bought someone's "Gateway software pack" at a
garage sale for $1 a couple of weekends ago, Word (XP) is in that.

Rod Speed

Jul 1, 2008, 3:38:56 PM7/1/08

Check what she is using at work. The user interface is very different with
2007 and 2003 and if she is using 2003 she likely wont like 2007 much.

Dave

Jul 1, 2008, 5:07:34 PM7/1/08

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message news:g4dn33$lnk$1...@aioe.org...

Last time I bought Word, I bought "Works" off of ebay. Got it on DVD. The
DVD included all of the Works applications, plus a FULL version of Microsoft
WORD (not the works version), and Microsoft Streets and Trips. Got it for
$30 *delivered*. No, it's not a pirate version, includes the CD Key with
Microsoft hologram thingie. Only downside I found is, if you want to
install Streets and Trips, it INSISTS on installing Microsoft Works, even
though Microsoft Works is NOT needed to run Streets and Trips. That's
another reason I know it's legit. Only Microsoft would be that fucking
stupid. :)

Looks like they still got it on ebay, check item 200235755806for an example
( not my auction! ) -Dave

Lou

Jul 1, 2008, 8:06:21 PM7/1/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Are you kidding? Google apps or even Star Office are comparable and
> from what I understand are compatible with Office *.docs and *.xls
> files. Additionally I bought someone's "Gateway software pack" at a
> garage sale for $1 a couple of weekends ago, Word (XP) is in that.

I haven't tried Google apps or Star Office, but someone else mentioned Open
Office, and I have tried that. It's compatible with Microsoft Word - sorta.

It seems that it'll open Word files OK, and for the most part display them
they way you'd expect and if you produce a document using this software,
Word opens it and usually displays what you want. The catch is in that "for
the most part" and "usually". Depending on how sophisticated the document
is, there are things that don't port between the two packages correctly.

If someone's producing a document in one of these other packages, and
recipient will be using Word, or vice versa, there's no guarantee that
everyone will receive what the originating party sent. If the goal is Word
compatibility, the only way I've seen to be assured of that is to use Word.

Seerialmom

Jul 1, 2008, 8:11:36 PM7/1/08
On Jul 1, 5:06 pm, "Lou" <lpog...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Seerialmom" <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

That is true as well. Based on Ohio's original comments I wouldn't
think they're writing novels or composing great presentations for his
wife's job, if they were then her employer should spring for the full
Office package. If you just want documents that can be read in Office
2007 (which doesn't have much problem reading earlier *.doc files),
the web or cheap based equivalents should work.

Seerialmom

Jul 2, 2008, 1:57:08 AM7/2/08
1, 5:06 pm, "lou" <lpog...@verizon.net> wrote: on jul 1, 5:06 pm, "lou"
<lpog...@verizon.net> wrote: on jul 1, 5:06 pm,

> "Seerialmom" <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > Are you kidding?  Google apps or even Star Office are comparable and
> > from what I understand are compatible with Office *.docs and *.xls
> > files.  Additionally I bought someone's "Gateway software pack" at a
> > garage sale for $1 a couple of weekends ago, Word (XP) is in that.
>
> I haven't tried Google apps or Star Office, but someone else mentioned Open
> Office, and I have tried that.  It's compatible with Microsoft Word - sorta.
>
> It seems that it'll open Word files OK, and for the most part display them
> they way you'd expect and if you produce a document using this software,
> Word opens it and usually displays what you want.  The catch is in that "for
> the most part" and "usually".  Depending on how sophisticated the document
> is, there are things that don't port between the two packages correctly.
>
> If someone's producing a document in one of these other packages, and
> recipient will be using Word, or vice versa, there's no guarantee that
> everyone will receive what the originating party sent.  If the goal is Word
> compatibility, the only way I've seen to be assured of that is to use Word.

Presents they were writing earlier employer employer should would spring
earlier *.documents i work. that problem reading great problem reat
problem read in office package. based equivalents i would spring
greading great can be reat can be read in office 2007 (which documents i
work. that is were were web original composing novels or his wife's or
his that is wife's original composing for the web or the writing earlier
employer *.doc files), the full office 2007 (which presents should
spring greading novels or his they're were well. if you just want
documents true as wife's job, if they were think the full office
package. if you just want documentations for cheap based on ohio's or
composing earlier employer employer *.doc files), think the web original
comments true as wife's or composing.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jul 2, 2008, 8:34:45 AM7/2/08
Lou wrote:

> I haven't tried Google apps or Star Office, but someone else mentioned Open
> Office, and I have tried that. It's compatible with Microsoft Word - sorta.
>
> It seems that it'll open Word files OK, and for the most part display them
> they way you'd expect and if you produce a document using this software,
> Word opens it and usually displays what you want. The catch is in that "for
> the most part" and "usually". Depending on how sophisticated the document
> is, there are things that don't port between the two packages correctly.

Okay, here's my secret -- save your OO files in Word 6.0 format, not the
latest Word format. It should convert fine.

Whatever you do, DON'T save it in RTF format -- it doesn't convert well
for some reason.

Lou

Jul 2, 2008, 7:51:14 PM7/2/08

>That is true as well. Based on Ohio's original comments I wouldn't
>think they're writing novels or composing great presentations for his
>wife's job, if they were then her employer should spring for the full
>Office package. If you just want documents that can be read in Office
>2007 (which doesn't have much problem reading earlier *.doc files),
>the web or cheap based equivalents should work.

One of the things that doesn't work with Open Office is page headers. The
display, but as separate tables in the body of the document. And when the
document goes back to Word, there aren't any headers. I don't consider page
headers to be particularly exotic.

As to the employer paying for the Office package, maybe that's the way it
should work, but it isn't always the way it does work. Medical writers, for
instance, often work on contract and supply their own tools - computer and
software - much like auto mechanics often supply their own tools, or chefs
use their own knives in restaurant kitchens.

Lou

Jul 2, 2008, 8:02:18 PM7/2/08

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" <sam...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote in
message news:486b75e5$0$17169$742e...@news.sonic.net...

And here's the quandary in my profession - rtf format is the standard,
closely followed by .pdf. The .doc format doesn't cut it because it's not
possible to generate in an automated manner (well, strictly speaking, I
suppose it's possible in theory, but you'd have to know the ins and outs of
that proprietary format in order to do it and I've never run across anyone
who does). The reason .rtf doesn't convert well in OO is that the
specification used by OO isn't the same as the specification used by Word
(and I've noticed that Microsoft's RTF specification is freely available on
the web). That would be OK if our customers used OO, but they don't - I've
never had a customer who wanted anything other than Word or PDF.

imascot

Jul 2, 2008, 8:18:58 PM7/2/08
"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in

I second doing this, I have this package myself. The full package includes:

Microsoft Word
Microsoft Works
Microsoft Encarta
Microsoft Money
Microsoft Street & Trips
Microsoft Picture It

Of course, this isn't the most recent version of Word, but for the average user, the only difference is
some bells and whistles, and the usual Microsoft "improvements" that mean commonly needed
functions are now more difficult to access.

Streets and Trips is nice mapping software, and we use it a lot (we're not GPS people). In fact, I
looked into getting a newer version of Streets and Trips, thinking it would include new developments,
etc. I learned that MS has not updated the actual map information since 2002; they merely added
"features". Feh.

J.

Dee

Jul 3, 2008, 8:04:37 AM7/3/08
"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in news:g4dn34$lnk$2...@aioe.org:

> So, I'm looking for a good deal on a recent version of Microsoft
> Word, or
> Microsoft Office. We will need to install it on 3 computers (2
> desktops, and 1 laptop) So far, this appears to be the best deal
> I can find:
>
> http://www.superdealsoftware.com/product_special_detail.php?s=1&id=

> 211 $131 shipped for a 3 computer license and media, Office 2007

> home and student
>
> Can anyone suggest a better deal, or should I pull the trigger
> on this?

Earlier versions of MS Office will work just as well (maybe better -
some people don't like Office 2007). I have Office 2000 and it is
fine. I used it on my Win98 machine up until last month when I
transferred it over to my new WinXP system. On eBay it looks like it's
selling for $30-$70.

Dee

Seerialmom

Jul 3, 2008, 1:57:17 PM7/3/08
On Jul 3, 5:04 am, Dee <d...@d.d> wrote:
> "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote innews:g4dn34$lnk$2...@aioe.org:

I still have copies of Office starting from 97 up to 2007; the
companies I've worked for over the past 10 years have all had
"employee deals" where we could get Office anywhere from free to $30.
I even found an Office suite for Mac at the thrift store a couple of
weeks ago for $4. As my latest challenge is reviving recently adopted
iMac G3's...that was a very cool find, indeed.

William Mullin

Jul 4, 2008, 12:16:58 AM7/4/08