Eyeglass lenses, should I shop around?

1 view

timeOday

Apr 1, 2008, 12:29:50 PM4/1/08
Comparing notes on lenses for my eyeglasses.
The local place I normally go (which has good service) is $49 for
plastic lenses plus $58 for anti-reflection coating. (I think it's the
middle of 3 grades of coating, if that means anything). There is
nothing special about my prescription.

Is that comparable to what you pay? I checked the walmart website but
couldn't find any prices.

Rod Speed

Apr 1, 2008, 2:01:48 PM4/1/08
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote:

> Comparing notes on lenses for my eyeglasses.
> The local place I normally go (which has good service) is $49 for
> plastic lenses plus $58 for anti-reflection coating. (I think it's
> the middle of 3 grades of coating, if that means anything).
> There is nothing special about my prescription.

> Is that comparable to what you pay?

The extreme low end is a lot cheaper than that.

Bear

Apr 3, 2008, 3:34:19 PM4/3/08
So it's $107 for the lenses or does that include the frames too? I usually
use:
http://www.globaleyeglasses.com
or
http://www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
I recycle my frames. You can't do it with plastic very well.

--
www.sniffydogs.petfinder.com
sniff...@yahoo.com
"timeOday" <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote in message

Terryc

Apr 3, 2008, 9:28:12 PM4/3/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The extreme low end is a lot cheaper than that.

which are?

Rod Speed

Apr 3, 2008, 11:35:16 PM4/3/08

Others have listed them. Obviously more convenient for us to use the ones in HongKong etc.

timeOday

Apr 4, 2008, 9:43:51 AM4/4/08
Bear wrote:
> So it's $107 for the lenses or does that include the frames too? I usually
> use:
> http://www.globaleyeglasses.com
> or
> http://www.eyeglassfactoryoutlet.com
> I recycle my frames. You can't do it with plastic very well.

$107 is just the lenses. I'll look into those links.

Bear

Apr 4, 2008, 8:18:30 PM4/4/08
I buy frames off eBay. I stick with metal ones because unless you are buying
new/old stock, you can't put new lenses in old plastic frames. It gets
brittle. I have 14K gold ones from 1830 that I got for $95, probably less
than cheapie ones you get today.