frugal windows 2000

J. Davidson

Sep 25, 2007, 12:43:58 PM9/25/07
In the name of frugality I am seeking a used W2000 to download. I am using
W98 and since it is no longer supported I believe 2000 is a good option.
Where might I find one?
Jackie

Anthony Matonak

Sep 25, 2007, 2:52:24 PM9/25/07

Do you mean "Where can I download an illegal copy of Windows 2000
for free?" or do you mean "Where can I buy an inexpensive copy of
Windows 2000?"

The first is a crime, the second is frugality.

You might be better off to forget Microsoft entirely and get a
good copy of Linux. I've found Mepis to be pretty easy to use,
especially on funky older equipment.
http://www.mepis.org/

You could also look at any of these...
http://distrowatch.com/

Anthony

J. Davidson

Sep 25, 2007, 8:50:12 PM9/25/07
Not illegal! Just cheap.
I had not heard of Mepis. Or distrowatch.com. Thanks for the post.
Jackie
Anthony Matonak <antho...@nothing.like.socal.rr.com> wrote in message

Gordon

Sep 25, 2007, 10:13:08 PM9/25/07
"J. Davidson" <fredjac...@bellsouth.net> wrote in

Buy a computer from craig's list that has it already loaded.

The Real Bev

Sep 25, 2007, 10:45:30 PM9/25/07
Gordon wrote:

> "J. Davidson" <fredjac...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
>> In the name of frugality I am seeking a used W2000 to download. I am
>> using W98 and since it is no longer supported I believe 2000 is a good
>> option. Where might I find one?
>

> Buy a computer from craig's list that has it already loaded.

I bought a used computer with win2K on it. I liked the OS, but it took 5
minutes to load. I killed deverything I could but it still took forever.
You NEED a disk so you can do your own installation if the machine you buy
is badly configured.

Now, a moral question: Since M$ no longer sells Win2K, are you actually
engaging in an immoral act by using or duplicating a friend's copy? I see
no reason to change to XP (is that right?) or Vista, which I regard as
downgrades unnecessary to run the few windows applications I need.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Gary Heston

Sep 25, 2007, 10:54:58 PM9/25/07
In article <LUaKi.4231$g7....@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,

You can't legally download it from anywhere; you'd need to buy a package,
either OEM or retail that's NOS or uninstalled and no longer used.

If you have any local computer swap meets, check there, or try online swap
sites. If you try to buy on eBay, expect to pay in the $100 to $125 range
for Windows 2000 Pro--about twice what I think it's worth.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Dennis

Sep 26, 2007, 12:15:23 PM9/26/07
On Tue, 25 Sep 2007 19:45:30 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I bought a used computer with win2K on it. I liked the OS, but it took 5
>minutes to load. I killed deverything I could but it still took forever.
>You NEED a disk so you can do your own installation if the machine you buy
>is badly configured.
>
>Now, a moral question: Since M$ no longer sells Win2K, are you actually
>engaging in an immoral act by using or duplicating a friend's copy? I see
>no reason to change to XP (is that right?) or Vista, which I regard as
>downgrades unnecessary to run the few windows applications I need.

XP boots significantly faster than W2K, although some of the apparent
speedup is that XP just shows the desktop sooner and then continues
system initialization in the background.

XP has some other features that may or may not be of interest to you.
For example, USB support is improved in XP, it includes built-in
support for compressed/zipped folders, built-in support for CDRW, etc.

Get 'em while you can -- MS has announced that it will stop selling XP
licenses after Jan 08.

Dennis (evil)
--
The honest man is the one who realizes that he cannot
consume more, in his lifetime, than he produces.

J. Davidson

Sep 26, 2007, 12:30:57 PM9/26/07

Gary Heston <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message

> In article <LUaKi.4231$g7....@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
> J. Davidson <fredjac...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >In the name of frugality I am seeking a used W2000 to download. >
> If you have any local computer swap meets, check there, or try online swap
> sites. If you try to buy on eBay, expect to pay in the $100 to $125 range
> for Windows 2000 Pro--about twice what I think it's worth.
>

> Gary

Thanks all. I do not wish to do anything illegal. My computer will not
take Vista or XP and otherwise it runs beautifully and I want to keep it. I
am accustomed to W98 but of course it is no longer supported. An old lady on
a fixed income, I thought a good step would be 2000, but I am not able to
pay 100. on something that might not work. (50.00 would be OK.) I
probably will use 98 until I can get a new computer.
Jackie

Melissa

Sep 26, 2007, 5:05:30 PM9/26/07

"J. Davidson" <fredjac...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

If '98 is working OK for you, why switch? We happen to love XP...our
computers run for 2 months at a time without rebooting, and all of our older
software runs fine. But '98se on my old laptop is still running fine too.

Melissa

Rick

Sep 26, 2007, 9:42:09 PM9/26/07

The OP also has to consider whether her Win 98 applications will even
run properly under Win 2000. I prefer Win 2000 myself but that doesn't
mean every Win 98 application is designed to run on it either. This is
more likely to be a problem with older Win 95 and early Win 98
applications.

Rick

The Real Bev

Sep 26, 2007, 10:34:19 PM9/26/07
Dennis wrote:

> <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>I bought a used computer with win2K on it. I liked the OS, but it took 5
>>minutes to load. I killed deverything I could but it still took forever.
>>You NEED a disk so you can do your own installation if the machine you buy
>>is badly configured.
>>
>>Now, a moral question: Since M$ no longer sells Win2K, are you actually
>>engaging in an immoral act by using or duplicating a friend's copy? I see
>>no reason to change to XP (is that right?) or Vista, which I regard as
>>downgrades unnecessary to run the few windows applications I need.
>
> XP boots significantly faster than W2K, although some of the apparent
> speedup is that XP just shows the desktop sooner and then continues
> system initialization in the background.

You're sidestepping the moral issue. Personally, I don't see a problem.

> XP has some other features that may or may not be of interest to you.
> For example, USB support is improved in XP, it includes built-in
> support for compressed/zipped folders, built-in support for CDRW, etc.

When I run portable Thunderbird on my thumb drive plugged into an XP, it
seems to be completely stopped about half the time. Makes it a real bitch
to compose an email when you can't see what you've typed for 30 seconds out
of every minute. Maybe 2K does that too, but I'm the only one who uses 2K
and I don't need to use portable Thunderbird.

Besides, it's ugly. And it doesn't do what I want in many file-management
situations. I can only imagine how much worse Vista is <shudder>.

> Get 'em while you can -- MS has announced that it will stop selling XP
> licenses after Jan 08.

Not worried.

--
Cheers, Bev
In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

Gary Heston

Sep 26, 2007, 11:22:34 PM9/26/07
In article <fOvKi.57216$7e6....@bignews4.bellsouth.net>,

J. Davidson <fredjac...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

>Gary Heston <ghe...@hiwaay.net> wrote in message
>> In article <LUaKi.4231$g7....@bignews7.bellsouth.net>,
>> J. Davidson <fredjac...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> >In the name of frugality I am seeking a used W2000 to download. >
>> If you have any local computer swap meets, check there, or try online swap
>> sites. If you try to buy on eBay, expect to pay in the $100 to $125 range
>> for Windows 2000 Pro--about twice what I think it's worth.

>Thanks all. I do not wish to do anything illegal. My computer will not

>take Vista or XP and otherwise it runs beautifully and I want to keep it.

If it will run Windows 2000, it should run XP; there's some excess junk
in there you probably don't need and can turn off, if you want to poke
around in the registry and services a bit.

>am accustomed to W98 but of course it is no longer supported.

Neither is Windows 2000; official support for it ended a couple of years
ago. All they're doing now is critical security updates.

> An old lady on
>a fixed income, I thought a good step would be 2000, but I am not able to
>pay 100. on something that might not work. (50.00 would be OK.) I
>probably will use 98 until I can get a new computer.

I'm still using Windows 98 as well for browsing; with a decent firewall
and the most recent version of Firefox, it will provide for any browsing
you need. The only limitation for you might be videos, if you're interested
in them.

As an alternative, there are several Linux distributions available to download
for free, as long as you have adequate bandwidth and can burn a CD. They
can offer you newer features and better security, and Open Office can do
just about anything Microsoft can do--and they don't require nearly the
resources that XP or 2K would.

Anthony Matonak

Sep 27, 2007, 2:56:46 AM9/27/07
Gary Heston wrote:

> As an alternative, there are several Linux distributions available to download
> for free, as long as you have adequate bandwidth and can burn a CD. They
> can offer you newer features and better security, and Open Office can do
> just about anything Microsoft can do--and they don't require nearly the
> resources that XP or 2K would.

If you don't have the bandwidth, there are places on the net that will
sell you the CDs for very little cost. Around $5 to $10 usually. You can
also usually find something for sale in computer and book stores.

Some examples care of http://distrowatch.com/
http://www.osdisc.com/
http://www.linuxcd.org/

Anthony