epidemic SATURN problems (9/11/07)

1 view

miste...@yahoo.com

Sep 11, 2007, 12:52:58 PM9/11/07
I have a 95 SL1 and one of the rear doors cannot
be opened from the inside, but works fine opening
the outside handle/lock. Anyone familiar with
what might be wrong? Are there 2 seperate cables
in the locking mechanism? Might something just
need greasing or is it gone? I would like to know
somewhat the damages before I take it into the
dealer or my regular repair shop.

Thanks.....

Have the TSBs corrected the problem with the headlights and guage
lights
flickering? We followed someone on an early morning trip last week
and they
said it looked as though I was flicking my high beams at them.

marx404 View profile
More options Sep 7, 7:32 am

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
From: "marx404" <4...@404.com>
After my little excursion with the pothole from h*ll which resulted in
2 new
rims on the passenger side, my steering just doesn't feel right. The
shop
says that they have balanced and aligned everything, but there is a
very
slight feathering vibration in the steering wheel, especially when I
turn my
steering wheel left it becomes more prominent.
The roads here suck and are all bumpy, but even on the most
"smoothest" of
roads the feathering vibration feeling is there.

I'm thinking that the wheel balance is just a hair off possibly?

1993SL View profile

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
From: 1993SL <korot...@gmail.com>
I have a 1993 Saturn SL. On cold starts in the morning there is no
problem putting the car into reverse gear (automatic) and driving.
However, after the car has been warmed up and has been running for
awhile if you try to put car into reverse there is a delay and then
it
goes into reverse with a rather loud and violent jerk or it will just
hang there. If you slow press the accelerator then it seems to go
into
the reverse gear but you have to be careful otherwise it clunks and
jerks back suddenly. In drive and neutral gear there is no problem.

The "Service Engine Soon" light is also on in the dash every on and
then. The error code from the scanner reads Code 12, but I cannot
find
anyone to tell me what to fix for this code?

Took it to a transmission place and the mechanic told me the reverse
clutch was broken and would cost $900 parts and labour included and
he
would rebuild the existing transmission?

Any ideas on the cause of this problem, how to fix and approximate
cost?

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
From: MR <mcr1...@hotmail.com>
For several months my 97 SL1 has gotten really bad MPG compared to
what it
used to get: 35mpg+ vs 25mpg now.
I have changed the plugs, but not the wires and was wondering if there
is
a sensor or sensors that could be causing this.
And are the sensors something that I could change out my self.
Also,
would any codes show up that may point to bad MPG?
Thanks a bunch,

-

The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to
this group will make your email address visible to anyone on the
Internet.

allan View profile
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
From: "allan" <nowh...@accesswave.ca>
here's my dilemma and I hope someone in here can help
I have a 2005 Saturn ION 2, in the winter when it gets to a certain
cold
temp outside, the car will not turn over, put a jumper pack on it and
it
will start eventually, but not unless the booster pack has been hooked
up
for a time ( at least 5 minutes). Thought it was a dead battery so I
went
out and bought one.. same problem, its like a solenoid switch or
fuse,
expands when its cold and disables the starting system, anyone have
this
problem and figure out what it was.. any help would be greatly
appreciated..
BTW if it is a fuse or solenoid.. please describe where it is so I can
find
/ fix it
Thanks
Mary

-

The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages
tim.bea...@gmail.com View profile
More options Aug 23, 9:15 am

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
From: tim.bea...@gmail.com
Hi folks,

Unfortunately, one of the studs on my exhaust manifold broke,
resulting in a light ticking moise when the engine is revved (it
sounds like a valve noise). My Saturn mechanic said it happens all
the
time to the 2.2 engines and it's the stud on the passenger side of
the
engine. He also said he'd have to fail me on a safety inspection
because it's an exhaust leak.

If he could retrieve the broken stud, the cost would be about $250.
If
not, he'd have to send the head to a machine shop and have it taken
out. Unfortunately, he was unable to reach the broken stud. The
labour
charge is 9 hours for this job abd the machine shop would charge
around $250 (if the head was unmolested). The total bill would be
around $1200.

I haven't done anything yet, but I'm interested in knowing if anyone
else is in the same boat. My comment to my service manager was that a
common problem that was cause to fail a safety inspection should be a
recall item. Remember when the S series cars were recalled for head
gasket failures? Same sort of idea, but it isn't a safety concern.

What do you think, folks?

Tim Delaney
Stewiacke, NS, Canada
2002 VUE FWD, 5-speed, 146,000 km

The group you are posting to is a Usenet group. Messages posted to
this group will make your email address visible to anyone on the
Internet.

marx404 View profileI'm getting to really hate Saturn Alloy rims.
My '94 and '02 had slightly warped rims that had to be road-force
balanced to keep the ride perfectly smooth, a driving need that I'm un-
conditional about. Those rims were warped by the previous owners, I
bought the cars used. Thought now that I have a brand new car, I
wouldn't have that problem anymore...right. The other day while off to
work, I hit a spot in the road, a very narrow high-speed country road
where the shoulder was missing and there was a foot long hole where
the cement was missing. A very sharp point was jutting out and my
inside part of my rim caught it, wasting my front rim and warping the
rear rim. It felt like a I hit a bad train track. I slowed down, but
saw nothing behind me, thought nothing of it, until a block from work,
the front end started shaking. My front tire started losing 1/2 it's
air. Pulled the ION into the shop and they pulled the rims. Sure
enough, front rim flanged out about 5 inches, rear warped and un-
reparable. Called Progre**ive and they said it's not covered under
comp as road holes aren't covered and it wasn't a collision, WTF? time
for a new ins. co. Called SC DOT, filed a repot, they said file a
bunch of reports and I "may" be reimbursed. I went over and showed
them many pics I took of the road damage and they patched the hole
that day. I'll be sending the pics along with my report. The roads in
upper SC s-u-c-k and I'm not too thrilled of the idea of having
delicate girly-man rims again, bad combo. My tech said that as the
damage was to the side of the rims, the tires aren't damaged, yet
there is over $570. (my discount cost) damage. I have to pay out of
pocket as I need my car and then to wait 'till SC DOT "may" pay for
it. I really am regretting buying alloys again. -- marx404
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn

From: Box134 <m...@wooky.invalid>
I have the "Service Engine Soon" indicator lit up in my 1996 SL2
(124,000
km). Being a good conscientious owner I took it to the dealer to
remedy the
situation.

The young man labored over his computer and the service writer quizzed
me
about when I'd last fuelled up. (I'd already checked the fuel tank cap
for
tightness.) They had no definite diagnosis except that it was code
P0440,
Evap system.

So they cleared the code and sent me on my way, saying if it re-
appeared to
return. I didn't even make it out of the auto park before "Service
Engine
Soon" was back, so I returned.

Well, they'd have to do a longer diagnostic a "smoke test." 99.9
percent of
the time it was a loose gas tank cap, they said.

I haven't had time to leave the car again, but I pictured a smoke test
have something to do with exhaust gases. However, I now think they may
use
smoke to test for air leaks in the evaporation system.

Anyhow, has anyone:

1. Had that error code.
2. Had a smoke test.

HyperCube33 (Life2Death) View profileOver the day it's been
stumbling and wont start. The starter wont even budge and finally
it'll barely kick over. I'll check my oil, and is there any way I can
test the battery with a standard voltmeter? And lucky me, I am broke
and only have enough extra cash to replace my brakes, but I guess if
my car wont start I cant really go do that tomorrow. -- ===========
Life2Death ===========

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
From: "HyperCube33 \(Life2Death\)" <hypercube[11x3]@hotmail.com>

--
===========
Life2Death

Our Saturn 2002 SL2 starting having problems turning the ignition key
in the lock.

Finally, no amount of jiggling, wheel turning, and attempting to
shift
could get it to turn.

Locksmith made a new "factory" key that works fine on all doors, but
still no luck. Then he replaced the lock with a new one from Saturn
(2 days to get it shipped in).

It worked to drive home, but the next morning, it was stuck again.
The same locksmith could not get it to turn until he took it apart
and
put it back together. He never found a problem. Curious, he tried
the old lock again, and it worked!?!

I've seen complaints of the column lock locking while driving. In
any
case, there's too much risk of getting stuck somewhere to drive it
out
of town.

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks,
Bruce

--

My wife's Saturn is drinking oil like mad. It has 118k miles and used
up

Doing some searching says the PCV valve could be at fault. I'll try
replacing that and see if the consumption changes.

Adam

WG...@webtv.net View profileThe engine seems to be Hot all the
time, real HOT. But the temp gauge is showing a normal reading. Should
I be concerned about this, or is it normal for this car? Thanks!!
More options Aug 2, 7:57 pm

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn

From: Dooger <doo...@wildblue.net>
Subject: '96 SL Cooling Fan Not Working
I looked around for the sensor and/or relays that might control the
fan
but didn't find anything in a short look. I don't have a repair or
service manual for this car. Can anyone point me to where to look for
the
"stuff" that makes the fan work. Later I'll test the fan itself to
see if
it it faulty. I have a '97 parts car that may have a good fan and
most
likely wil have the controlls still good. That car was wrecked in
the
left front and I haven't had a chance to see if the fan survived the
crash
or not. Anyone know if the '97 parts will work on the '96 car?

JHOLMBE...@COX.NET View profile
Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.saturn
Subject: WARNING LIGHTS 2002 SATURN
To All,

This morning I started the car to go to work after letting it sit for
a little over a week. The car started fine and all of the engine
warning lights, the fuel light, the battery light, security light
came
on, the spedometer didn't work, gas showed emplty even though it is
full, the tach. didn't work. So which electrcial part needs to be
replaced or do I need to put in a new battery, since it is the
original?

Thank you all for your assistance.

John Weiss

Sep 11, 2007, 12:57:08 PM9/11/07
<miste...@yahoo.com> wrote...

>I have a 95 SL1 and one of the rear doors cannot
> be opened from the inside, but works fine opening
> the outside handle/lock. Anyone familiar with
> what might be wrong? Are there 2 seperate cables
> in the locking mechanism? Might something just
> need greasing or is it gone? I would like to know
> somewhat the damages before I take it into the
> dealer or my regular repair shop.

Is the "kiddie lock" (probably near the latch on the back edge of the door)
engaged and/or broken? When engaged, it does exactly that -- prevents kids
(and anyone else) from opening the door from the inside.

Vic Smith

Sep 11, 2007, 1:34:50 PM9/11/07
On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:52:58 -0700, "miste...@yahoo.com"
<miste...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Smells like Steve Scharf (SMS).

In any case, there's Saturn and GM and autos.tech groups which will
kick your ass, which you appear to desire.
People here are fairly polite - and not known for car expertise.

--Vic

Al Bundy

Sep 11, 2007, 1:36:49 PM9/11/07

miste...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I have a 95 SL1 and one of the rear doors cannot
> be opened from the inside, but works fine opening
> the outside handle/lock. Anyone familiar with
> what might be wrong? Are there 2 seperate cables
> in the locking mechanism? Might something just
> need greasing or is it gone? I would like to know
> somewhat the damages before I take it into the
> dealer or my regular repair shop.
>
> Thanks.....

Forgive me, but I couldn't bear to read through the entire tail of
woe and intrigue. I believe you have posted this or pieces of it
elsewhere and didn't like the answers. I still suggest a car site
would offer more technical solutions though. I have seen this rear
door problem before.

You have a 12 year old vehicle with 124K I believe you said. Cars age
like people. Some have heart attacks early and die. Others have
chronic illnesses that make one glad they have insurance. You are
footing the bill for some heavy repairs on a vehicle that is not worth
much in my book. I don't care what KBB says about it. A 12 year old
car ain't worth much to me. And one that has a history of under
performing as yours does would soon be replaced if it were mine.
Beyond a certain point, I refuse to overhaul the tranny or go deep
into the engine because more stuff can come along and you are
committed to doing that too after spending so much. Some cars and
trucks just don't ever seem to let you down. I'm willing to move on
until I'm riding in one of those.

misterfactLIES

Sep 11, 2007, 11:17:13 PM9/11/07
In article <75kde3lajn81v63fe...@4ax.com>,
thismaila...@comcast.net says...

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:52:58 -0700, "miste...@yahoo.com"
> <miste...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Smells like Steve Scharf (SMS).

Wow Scharf would be insulted to be confused with Michael Korman (aka
misterfag).

> In any case, there's Saturn and GM and autos.tech groups which will
> kick your ass, which you appear to desire.

From the looks of google archives they have already! He is such a joke
there no one even replies to him anymore LOL! I guess this attention
whore is trying his luck elsewhere.

miste...@yahoo.com

Sep 13, 2007, 10:55:40 AM9/13/07
On Sep 11, 11:17 pm, misterfactLIES <misterfactL...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <75kde3lajn81v63fedjv533c1cl3uek...@4ax.com>,
> thismailautodele...@comcast.net says...

> > On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:52:58 -0700, "misterf...@yahoo.com"
> > <misterf...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Smells like Steve Scharf (SMS).
>
> Wow Scharf would be insulted to be confused with Michael Korman (aka
> misterfag).
>
> > In any case, there's Saturn and GM and autos.tech groups which will
> > kick your ass, which you appear to desire.
>
> From the looks of google archives they have already! He is such a joke
> there no one even replies to him anymore LOL! I guess this attention
> whore is trying his luck elsewhere.

Profile on misterf...@yahoo.com

This account has been banned because it violated the Google Groups
Terms Of Use.

misterfactLIES

Sep 13, 2007, 12:35:58 PM9/13/07
In article <1189695340....@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
miste...@yahoo.com the bitch boy says...

> Profile on misterf...@yahoo.com
>
> This account has been banned because it violated the Google Groups
> Terms Of Use.

And yet I'm still here. Boy I bet that pisses you off. LMAO!

Profile on miste...@yahoo.com
This person has not created a profile.
"1 star" out of 1207 ratings and 1498 post.

miste...@yahoo.com

Sep 13, 2007, 6:12:09 PM9/13/07
On Sep 13, 12:35 pm, misterfactLIES <misterfactl...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <1189695340.322171.51...@r34g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
> misterf...@yahoo.com the bitch boy says...
>
> > Profile on misterfactL...@yahoo.com

> > This account has been banned because it violated the Google Groups
> > Terms Of Use.
>
> And yet I'm still here. Boy I bet that pisses you off. LMAO!
>
> Profile on misterf...@yahoo.com

> This person has not created a profile.
> "1 star" out of 1207 ratings and 1498 post.

And yet I'm still here. Boy I bet that pisses you off. LMAO!

how much you wanna bet? What zoo is "here"?

misterfactLIES

Sep 13, 2007, 7:31:34 PM9/13/07
In article <1189721529....@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
miste...@yahoo.com babbles out...

> how much you wanna bet? What zoo is "here"?

Was that a reply or a seizure?

Can anyone translate what mistercrap said into something remotely
sensible?

Nicik Name

Sep 16, 2007, 9:21:57 PM9/16/07

<miste...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I have a 95 SL1 and one of the rear doors cannot
> be opened from the inside, but works fine opening
> the outside handle/lock. Anyone familiar with
> what might be wrong? Are there 2 seperate cables
> in the locking mechanism? Might something just
> need greasing or is it gone? I would like to know
> somewhat the damages before I take it into the
> dealer or my regular repair shop.
>
> Thanks.....
If you take your car to a full service car wash the guys with the towels
sometimes hit the child safety lock.