Compass (as in North-South-East-West)

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Aug 16, 2008, 9:47:51 PM8/16/08
I'm trying to arrange my TV reception so that I can get both PBS (Ch
13 in my area) and ABC (Ch7). Other stations are generally OK or
explainably deficient (forty miles away, for example). However for
these two it seems that I can get either one or the other but not both
which is strange since the antenna website shows them as coming from
either the same place or a couple of degrees different. It could be
that ABC is not broadcasting at full power (damn FCC why can't they
check this and levy big fines!) or maybe it's PBS. Either way I want
to exclude my antenna as the problem so I need to be able to
accurately orient it to (e.g.) 338 degrees and 1 degree. Hence I need
a compass but...

This is the digital age isn't it? Of course! That's why I have this
problem. But all the compasses I can find seem to be something out of
the ark. Analog and you'd be hard-pressed to get closer than 10
degrees. I want one that looks like a handgun with the degrees display
where the hammer would be and a trigger switch. Line it up with the
antenna beam, press the trigger button, and it displays the degrees.
Minutes too! How about some accuracy here! Why is this so hard to
find? Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Anyone have any
suggestions?

Oh, yeah and while you're at it, can you explain why I can get a 90%
good signal (read out from the converter box) on two stations (not the
ones above) where one has a perfect picture and sound (CBS) and the
other (ION) has lots of pixelization (small blocks in the picture) and
massive drop outs in the sound. These two come from the same place.

Further why am I getting a TV station (29-1) with picture where the
sub carriers (29-2, 29-3,... up to 29-10) seem to be FM radio stations
(no picture)?

Rod Speed

Aug 16, 2008, 10:12:01 PM8/16/08
NoSpa...@LousyISP.gov wrote:

> I'm trying to arrange my TV reception so that I can get both PBS
> (Ch 13 in my area) and ABC (Ch7). Other stations are generally
> OK or explainably deficient (forty miles away, for example).

> However for these two it seems that I can get either one or the
> other but not both which is strange since the antenna website
> shows them as coming from either the same place or a couple
> of degrees different. It could be that ABC is not broadcasting
> at full power (damn FCC why can't they check this and levy
> big fines!) or maybe it's PBS. Either way I want to exclude
> my antenna as the problem so I need to be able to accurately
> orient it to (e.g.) 338 degrees and 1 degree. Hence I need
> a compass but...

> This is the digital age isn't it? Of course! That's why I have this
> problem. But all the compasses I can find seem to be something out of
> the ark. Analog and you'd be hard-pressed to get closer than 10 degrees.

Given the lobes on TV antennas, thats plenty accurate enough.

> I want one that looks like a handgun with the degrees display
> where the hammer would be and a trigger switch. Line it up
> with the antenna beam, press the trigger button, and it displays
> the degrees. Minutes too! How about some accuracy here!

Pointless with TV antennas.

> Why is this so hard to find?

Because no one needs that sort of accuracy anymore.

> Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms. Anyone have any suggestions?

digital compass.

> Oh, yeah and while you're at it, can you explain why I can get a 90%
> good signal (read out from the converter box) on two stations (not the
> ones above) where one has a perfect picture and sound (CBS) and the
> other (ION) has lots of pixelization (small blocks in the picture) and
> massive drop outs in the sound. These two come from the same place.

The two transmitters dont have the same power.