Frugal Spices

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mar 13, 2008, 10:13:06 AM3/13/08
I was reminded while shopping yesterday and talking to someone standing
in front of the Badia display in the Hispanic foods aisle that the
cheapest place to buy spices would be ethnic grocery stores
(particularly Indian grocery stores). The next cheapest seems to be
from Badia, a Hispanic foods company. Most of their spices are packaged
in cellophane bags, so you don't have to pay for a jar each time. I
just bought a half an ounce of nutmeg for fifty cents. McCormick wanted
over $2 (maybe even more--I can't remember).

(At the Indian grocery store, cumin in a bag is $1 for 10 ounces. And I
forget what the chile powder costs, but it's *real* 100% chile powder,
not the adulterated American stuff.)

Given that most people have jars for their spices already, not buying
the jar each time is not only frugal, but also more environmentally
sound. If you need a jar, Badia sells spices in jars as well.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
Heretic: someone who disagrees with you about

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 13, 2008, 1:21:47 PM3/13/08
On Mar 13, 10:13 am, "Evelyn C. Leeper" <elee...@optonline.net> wrote:
> I was reminded while shopping yesterday and talking to someone standing
> in front of the Badia display in the Hispanic foods aisle that the
> cheapest place to buy spices would be ethnic grocery stores
> (particularly Indian grocery stores).  The next cheapest seems to be
> from Badia, a Hispanic foods company.  Most of their spices are packaged
> in cellophane bags, so you don't have to pay for a jar each time.  I
> just bought a half an ounce of nutmeg for fifty cents.  McCormick wanted
> over $2 (maybe even more--I can't remember).
>
> (At the Indian grocery store, cumin in a bag is $1 for 10 ounces.  And I
> forget what the chile powder costs, but it's *real* 100% chile powder,
> not the adulterated American stuff.)

Adulterated? You can get 100% ground chile peppers in America, and
you can get chili powder, a spice mix suitable for making chile con
carne.
It's a little confusing that chili powder isn't labeled "spice
mix...", but there's
no adulteration taking place.

Cindy Hamilton

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mar 13, 2008, 3:30:24 PM3/13/08

Well, I suppose technically, but when I think "chile powder", I think
"powdered chiles". (Which is why my chili is always more ... exciting
... than the original recipe. :-) )

The Henchman

Mar 13, 2008, 6:01:03 PM3/13/08

"Evelyn C. Leeper" <ele...@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Well, I suppose technically, but when I think "chile powder", I think
> "powdered chiles". (Which is why my chili is always more ... exciting ...
> than the original recipe. :-) )

What is Chile? Do you mean Chili?

pc

Mar 13, 2008, 6:32:27 PM3/13/08
Evelyn C. Leeper wrote:
> I was reminded while shopping yesterday and talking to someone standing
> in front of the Badia display in the Hispanic foods aisle that the
> cheapest place to buy spices would be ethnic grocery stores
> (particularly Indian grocery stores). The next cheapest seems to be
> from Badia, a Hispanic foods company. Most of their spices are packaged
> in cellophane bags, so you don't have to pay for a jar each time. I
> just bought a half an ounce of nutmeg for fifty cents. McCormick wanted
> over $2 (maybe even more--I can't remember).
>
> (At the Indian grocery store, cumin in a bag is $1 for 10 ounces. And I
> forget what the chile powder costs, but it's *real* 100% chile powder,
> not the adulterated American stuff.)
>
> Given that most people have jars for their spices already, not buying
> the jar each time is not only frugal, but also more environmentally
> sound. If you need a jar, Badia sells spices in jars as well.

I heard an interesting hint recently. Being a bit of a foodie, I'm
surprised I never heard of it before. And, I've yet to try it; but,
I'll post results when I do.

When you buy a knob of ginger, peel and freeze it.
When you need ginger, just grate or microplane what you need from the
frozen knob and return the ginger to freezer.

I always buy much more ginger than I need. And then it ends up drying
out and has to be discarded [right when I'm in the middle of a recipe
that calls for ginger!].

So, if freezing it works I will be a very, very happy and well prepared
cook.

..PC

Jeff

Mar 13, 2008, 6:29:18 PM3/13/08
It depends on where you are from. In Santa Fe, it is definitely Chile. I
guess if you are in a part of the country where this not an important
part of the cuisine than it would be chili.

Jeff

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mar 13, 2008, 6:47:40 PM3/13/08

The way I've seen it, chile is the pepper/plant, chili is the prepared food.

Gordon

Mar 13, 2008, 10:49:42 PM3/13/08
pc <p...@somewhere.com> wrote in

> When you buy a knob of ginger, peel and freeze it.
> When you need ginger, just grate or microplane what you need from the
> frozen knob and return the ginger to freezer.
>
> I always buy much more ginger than I need. And then it ends up drying
> out and has to be discarded [right when I'm in the middle of a recipe
> that calls for ginger!].
>
> So, if freezing it works I will be a very, very happy and well
> prepared cook.
>
> ..PC

It works quite well. I have been doing it for years.
Also Ginger is good for soothing a stomach. Just a
little in boiling water to make ginger tea. Another
reason to keep ginger on hand.

Cindy Hamilton

Mar 14, 2008, 2:07:57 PM3/14/08

Certainly exciting. But chili powder has more than one type of
powdered
chile, along with cumin and other spices. Your chili might be lacking
in
depth of flavor, depending on what else you put in.

Cindy Hamilton

Evelyn C. Leeper

Mar 14, 2008, 5:11:25 PM3/14/08

I add my own cumin, etc.

pc

Mar 15, 2008, 12:43:28 PM3/15/08

Well, good to know Gordon! It's always nice to hear when somebody has
real-time experience with something.

I freeze a lot of things .. from bananas to cilantro. But, I never
tried ginger. And since I always keep ginger tea in the cupboard and
fresh [or, more usually, dried out ginger in the fridge], it'll be two
less things to keep in my cupboard and/or fridge. And I'll always have
it on hand.

...PC