Computer keyboard which is super-quiet

aest...@hotmail.com

Jan 24, 2008, 12:07:50 AM1/24/08
Any recommendations?

Dave

Jan 24, 2008, 1:19:23 AM1/24/08

<aest...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1aeff414-6f5b-4891...@f47g2000hsd.googlegroups.com...
> Any recommendations?

Get a backlit one. Essentially, they take a notebook style keyboard (soft
touch, short stroke) with semi-transparent plastic keys, put a light under
the keys...

Oh, you don't have to use the backlight unless you want to (you can turn
that off). But, you might like it. The one we use is a Zippy EL-715. They
come with white, black and silver cases, I believe. (the one we own is
black) We've had it a couple of years, use it heavily, no problems at all.
A link to a white one follows, just so you can see what I'm referring to.
http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=79624
I just noticed the description even says that it is super quiet. I can
confirm it is super quiet. Not silent, but super quiet compared to most
keyboards.

Only downside is some touch-typists might not like it. I know many touch
typists that don't like notebook style keyboards. But I type just as fast
on this keyboard as I do on any other. If it's quiet you are after, The
Zippy EL-715 is a good choice.

But I suspect you'd find any backlit keyboard will be very quiet, because
they use notebook or membrane type "switches" to allow thin keys to allow
the light to shine through them. This makes them very quiet compared to any
ordinary computer keyboard. -Dave

Here's a similar one I found, without backlight:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823128028

Lou

Jan 24, 2008, 8:03:48 PM1/24/08

"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message

> <aest...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Any recommendations?
>
> Get a backlit one. Essentially, they take a notebook style keyboard (soft
> touch, short stroke) with semi-transparent plastic keys, put a light under
> the keys...

Seems to me there'd be no quieter keyboard than no keyboard - see
http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/ - no, I have no connection with these
people.

<snip>

> Only downside is some touch-typists might not like it. I know many touch
> typists that don't like notebook style keyboards. But I type just as fast
> on this keyboard as I do on any other.

And out of curiosity, how fast is that?

Warren Block

Jan 24, 2008, 9:38:21 PM1/24/08
Lou <lpogoda...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Seems to me there'd be no quieter keyboard than no keyboard - see
> http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/ - no, I have no connection with these
> people.

I've seen that on the net for several years, but reports of actual use
are rare. It's expensive, and no key feedback, either, which might be a
problem.

A cheaper alternative would be one of the roll-up keyboards. Typing on
them is not going to be great, but they are quiet:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10809&cs_id=1080903&p_id=3046&seq=1&format=2

Dave

Jan 24, 2008, 11:14:58 PM1/24/08
> <snip>
>
>> Only downside is some touch-typists might not like it. I know many touch
>> typists that don't like notebook style keyboards. But I type just as
>> fast
>> on this keyboard as I do on any other.
>
> And out of curiosity, how fast is that?

Not that it matters, but the only time I was tested, I scored 90WPM with 0%
error rate. I could have typed faster, but I was deliberately aiming for no
errors. I say it doesn't matter, as I never did any clerical work, where
anybody would have given a damn about how fast I type. But I did test for
one job which (among other things) required typing skills. Didn't get the
job, but my typing was much better than most, or so I was told...

Decades of IT work have exposed me to many types of keyboards. I actually
learned to type on MANUAL typewriters, got most of my practice on selectrics
(if you don't remember those, that just means you are younger than dirt, ha
ha). So I was very used to really SOLID feeling keyboards. It took a
little time to get used to the feel of notebook-style keyboards, but I
eventually got as comfortable with them as any other keyboard.

IMHO, qwerty is qwerty. But I do understand why some touch typists don't
like notebook style keyboards. It does take some getting used to, if you
are experienced with more solid feeling keyboards with more tactile
feedback. I love my backlit board. I almost bought one for work, also
(while I was still doing IT work). Thought about it from time to time, but
the Dell something or other that came with the workstation wasn't too evil.
:) -Dave

Too_Many_Tools

Jan 24, 2008, 11:31:34 PM1/24/08
On Jan 24, 12:19 am, "Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote:
> <aesthe...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Any recommendations?
>
> Get a backlit one.  Essentially, they take a notebook style keyboard (soft
> touch, short stroke) with semi-transparent plastic keys, put a light under
> the keys...
>
> Oh, you don't have to use the backlight unless you want to (you can turn
> that off).  But, you might like it.  The one we use is a Zippy EL-715.  They
> come with white, black and silver cases, I believe.  (the one we own is
> black)  We've had it a couple of years, use it heavily, no problems at all.
> A link to a white one follows, just so you can see what I'm referring to.http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=79624

> I just noticed the description even says that it is super quiet.  I can
> confirm it is super quiet.  Not silent, but super quiet compared to most
> keyboards.
>
> Only downside is some touch-typists might not like it.  I know many touch
> typists that don't like notebook style keyboards.  But I type just as fast
> on this keyboard as I do on any other.  If it's quiet you are after, The
> Zippy EL-715 is a good choice.
>
> But I suspect you'd find any backlit keyboard will be very quiet, because
> they use notebook or membrane type "switches" to allow thin keys to allow
> the light to shine through them.  This makes them very quiet compared to any
> ordinary computer keyboard.   -Dave
>
> Here's a similar one I found, without backlight:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823128028

Anybody have a backlit with a RED backlight light waterproof keyboard?

TMT

Dave

Jan 25, 2008, 11:52:18 AM1/25/08

Anybody have a backlit with a RED backlight light waterproof keyboard?

TMT

I think there's one on this page:
http://www.ctielectronics.com/illuminated-keyboards.htm