the price is wrong, @#%&@!

OhioGuy

Oct 17, 2007, 10:56:38 AM10/17/07
I see it all the time - signs saying "milk $250 a gallon", or "bananas
$49 a pound" It annoys my wife so much that she has complained to store
managers, and has toyed with the idea of taking a black permanent marker
along with her.

Is it really so hard to put a decimal place in a sign? I mean, they went
to the bother of putting the units on the sign, so why not get the price
right?

First they tried to foist the Metric System on us. Next there was a
concerted effort to remove the symbol for cents from common usage. Later
there was the "War on Christmas" (happy holidays, everyone!). Now it looks
like the plain old decimal place is also going the way of the dodo, because
I guess it's just too much trouble to bother with.

Bill

Oct 17, 2007, 11:48:38 AM10/17/07
"OhioGuy" wrote in message

> I see it all the time - signs saying "milk $250 a gallon", or "bananas
> $49 a pound"...

I remember when I was in school (many moons ago!) and did not include the
decimal, it would be marked wrong and I would be chastised! It was a big no
no.

I guess they don't teach these things anymore... (I too see signs like this
all the time.)

Evelyn C. Leeper

Oct 17, 2007, 12:17:17 PM10/17/07
OhioGuy wrote:
> I see it all the time - signs saying "milk $250 a gallon", or "bananas
> $49 a pound" It annoys my wife so much that she has complained to store
> managers, and has toyed with the idea of taking a black permanent marker
> along with her.
>
> Is it really so hard to put a decimal place in a sign? I mean, they went
> to the bother of putting the units on the sign, so why not get the price
> right?

That's because they used up all their decimal points in signs that say
".99 cents" or ".50 cents".

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
He who knows only his own side of the case

E Z Peaces

Oct 17, 2007, 3:14:16 PM10/17/07
Bill wrote:
> "OhioGuy" wrote in message
>> I see it all the time - signs saying "milk $250 a gallon", or "bananas
>> $49 a pound"...
>>

> I remember when I was in school (many moons ago!) and did not include the
> decimal, it would be marked wrong and I would be chastised! It was a big no
> no.

Me too. When I'm at the grocery store I like to take a few decimal
points in case I need them at home. The manager hasn't complained, so I
guess they're free like bags. Life in America would be simpler if the
government had stayed with pounds and shillings instead of foisting
their darned decimal money on us.

Al Bundy

Oct 17, 2007, 5:35:33 PM10/17/07
On Oct 17, 10:56 am, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:

> First they tried to foist the Metric System on us. Next there was a
> concerted effort to remove the symbol for cents from common usage. Later
> there was the "War on Christmas" (happy holidays, everyone!). Now it looks
> like the plain old decimal place is also going the way of the dodo, because
> I guess it's just too much trouble to bother with.

Don't forget nooses. You can't hang a skeleton from a tree for
Halloween without Al Sharpton calling you out.

Logan Shaw

Oct 17, 2007, 9:14:49 PM10/17/07
OhioGuy wrote:
> Next there was a
> concerted effort to remove the symbol for cents from common usage.

I tend to wonder if that wasn't possibly caused by limitations of typewriters
and then exacerbated by limitations of computers. Having to choose only one
of the two because of a limit to the number of symbols available, they
eliminated the one could less easily serve double-duty.

> Now it looks
> like the plain old decimal place is also going the way of the dodo, because
> I guess it's just too much trouble to bother with.

I think there's a more depressing explanation. It's not that the decimal
place that is becoming less popular. Instead, it's plain old education.
People put "$49" as the price for bananas because they either don't know
the difference or, through years of brain atrophy, have ceased caring.

- Logan

Message has been deleted

turtlelover

Oct 18, 2007, 11:30:56 AM10/18/07
Logan Shaw wrote:

<snip>

> I think there's a more depressing explanation. It's not that the decimal
> place that is becoming less popular. Instead, it's plain old education.
> People put "$49" as the price for bananas because they either don't know
> the difference or, through years of brain atrophy, have ceased caring.
>
> - Logan

Even more depressing is seeing handwritten signs that say (for example): "Banana's 49¢ per pound." They won't even tell me what, belonging to the banana, is 49¢ per pound!