Happy Thanksgiving MCFL

pc

Nov 21, 2007, 1:48:57 PM11/21/07
I just thought I'd post a note to the group to wish you all a Happy
Thanksgiving.

I've learned a lot from you all over the past decade +.
During both lean times and good times, on my part, this group has been a
wealth of knowledge, innovation and inspiration.

Thank you all.

..PC

** Frank **

Nov 21, 2007, 10:48:02 PM11/21/07

"pc" <p...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

Happy turkey day to you too. Looking forward to pick up some tools at Lowe's
on Black Friday - cashier said they have many items at 60% off. Like to go
to Best Buys too but its too crazy and lines too long - only tough
housewives could slug it through.

Dawn

Nov 22, 2007, 5:33:17 PM11/22/07

I feel the exact same way PC.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Enjoy all the leftovers...the very
frugal part of the meal.
Dawn, geting ready to put the fruit salad together.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Nov 22, 2007, 6:00:20 PM11/22/07

Likewise to all. I do wish that many more of the core group members
were still around, and/or that there was a way to rejuvinate some of
the positive energy here. A few people mentioned mailing lists in the
past, maybe that is an idea that could be revisited?

We'll be having home-grown winter squash today, and I just checked to
make sure Mrs. Chickpea's new custom-designed 26' x 32' greenhouse
made it through the first wind test. (It did) We'll be heading into a
more frugal mode soon, now that the major construction is done and
appliances bought, and money from the Florida house converted into
what we need here as a base.

The Real Bev

Nov 23, 2007, 12:44:40 AM11/23/07
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote:

> On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 14:33:17 -0800, Dawn <lin...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 13:48:57 -0500, pc <p...@somewhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I just thought I'd post a note to the group to wish you all a Happy
>>> Thanksgiving.
>>>
>>> I've learned a lot from you all over the past decade +. During both
>>> lean times and good times, on my part, this group has been a wealth
>>> of knowledge, innovation and inspiration.
>>>
>>> Thank you all.
>>>
>>> ..PC
>> I feel the exact same way PC. Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Enjoy all
>> the leftovers...the very frugal part of the meal. Dawn, geting ready to
>> put the fruit salad together.

Illness killed Turkey Day for us, but we'll probably do it this weekend.
Not that there's anything wrong with watching movies, sleeping and usenet...

> Likewise to all. I do wish that many more of the core group members were
> still around, and/or that there was a way to rejuvinate some of the
> positive energy here. A few people mentioned mailing lists in the past,
> maybe that is an idea that could be revisited?

A moderated yahoo or google group might work, with people (including Rod)
being white-listed and spam being ignored. The spam is what kills it for me
now, and I'm unwilling to switch from Thunderbird to some newsreader with
good spamfilters. Arguments add spice when not carried to extremes.

> We'll be having home-grown winter squash today, and I just checked to
> make sure Mrs. Chickpea's new custom-designed 26' x 32' greenhouse made
> it through the first wind test. (It did) We'll be heading into a more
> frugal mode soon, now that the major construction is done and appliances
> bought, and money from the Florida house converted into what we need here
> as a base.

I'm still getting cherry tomatoes from my vines, but not many. Some nasty
animal got most of them earlier in the year, but it seems to have either
moved away or been run over a month or two ago. It seems sensible to grow
stuff that's expensive and/or awful at the grocery store, but squash? Yuk.

How's the drought treating you? I visited my son in Raleigh for 2 weeks in
October and there was plenty of humidity but no rain until the night before
I left -- which meant the plane was delayed half an hour because of a
thunderstorm to the west. I can't figure out whether I'm a blessing or a jinx.

--
Cheers,
Bev

root

Nov 23, 2007, 6:47:30 AM11/23/07
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>I can't figure out whether I'm a blessing or a jinx.

A blessing.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Nov 23, 2007, 8:38:43 AM11/23/07
On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:44:40 -0800, The Real Bev
<bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems sensible to grow
>stuff that's expensive and/or awful at the grocery store, but squash? Yuk.

Typically $1/lb at the stores, and often dry and tasteless. As for
the taste of squash in general? <shrug> Some of us like it, some
don't.

>How's the drought treating you?

Kinda complicated. Have a bumper crop of walnuts, kale and collards
seem OK, and the recent rain has been a hinderance to some
construction. Today looks bright and cool, the rest of the weekend is
supposed to bring more rain.

Don K

Nov 23, 2007, 3:14:57 PM11/23/07
"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> I'm still getting cherry tomatoes from my vines, but not many. Some nasty animal got
> most of them earlier in the year, but it seems to have either moved away or been run
> over a month or two ago. It seems sensible to grow stuff that's expensive and/or awful
> at the grocery store, but squash? Yuk.

Squash soup was one of my favorites as a kid. It probably wasn't so much
the squash, but the chewy, over-cooked drop noodles that made squash soup
so good.

Don

imascot

Nov 23, 2007, 5:59:49 PM11/23/07
hchi...@hotmail.com wrote in

>>>I've learned a lot from you all over the past decade +.
>>>During both lean times and good times, on my part, this group has
>>>been a wealth of knowledge, innovation and inspiration.
>>>
>>>Thank you all.
>>>
>>>..PC
>>I feel the exact same way PC.
>>Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Enjoy all the leftovers...the very
>>frugal part of the meal.
>>Dawn, geting ready to put the fruit salad together.
>
> Likewise to all. I do wish that many more of the core group members
> were still around, and/or that there was a way to rejuvinate some of
> the positive energy here. A few people mentioned mailing lists in the
> past, maybe that is an idea that could be revisited?

Hear, hear. It's depressing that there are more listings in my killfile than there are actual postings
worth reading.

J.

Gary Heston

Nov 23, 2007, 7:16:02 PM11/23/07
In article <slldk3tc2lgskln2v...@4ax.com>,

<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 21:44:40 -0800, The Real Bev
><bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> It seems sensible to grow
>>stuff that's expensive and/or awful at the grocery store, but squash? Yuk.

>Typically $1/lb at the stores, and often dry and tasteless. As for
>the taste of squash in general? <shrug> Some of us like it, some
>don't.

I liked the one which Mrs. Chickpea gifted me with last weekend; I ate
the second half of it last night. Much appreciated.

>>How's the drought treating you?

>Kinda complicated. Have a bumper crop of walnuts, kale and collards
>seem OK, and the recent rain has been a hinderance to some
>construction. Today looks bright and cool, the rest of the weekend is
>supposed to bring more rain.

It was bright, until my framing nailer jammed and we couldn't clear it.
Further work on the deck was much slower. Im looking for a local tool
repair place to see what they can do.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

nos...@nospam.com

Nov 23, 2007, 8:03:19 PM11/23/07

Do share your kill filters.. I've been gone for a while and all my filters are
gone.

The Real Bev

Nov 23, 2007, 7:55:48 PM11/23/07
Don K wrote:

> "The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm still getting cherry tomatoes from my vines, but not many. Some
>> nasty animal got most of them earlier in the year, but it seems to have
>> either moved away or been run over a month or two ago. It seems
>> sensible to grow stuff that's expensive and/or awful at the grocery
>> store, but squash? Yuk.
>
> Squash soup was one of my favorites as a kid. It probably wasn't so much
> the squash, but the chewy, over-cooked drop noodles that made squash soup
> so good.

Are those the same as the thick Chinese "cut noodles" which are made by
slicing off the end of a cylinder of dough and dropping it into boiling
soup/water?

The only way to make squash edible is to make pumpkin pie out of it.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Don K

Nov 23, 2007, 9:11:50 PM11/23/07

> Don K wrote:
>
>> "The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm still getting cherry tomatoes from my vines, but not many. Some
>>> nasty animal got most of them earlier in the year, but it seems to have
>>> either moved away or been run over a month or two ago. It seems
>>> sensible to grow stuff that's expensive and/or awful at the grocery
>>> store, but squash? Yuk.
>>
>> Squash soup was one of my favorites as a kid. It probably wasn't so much the squash,
>> but the chewy, over-cooked drop noodles that made squash soup
>> so good.
>
> Are those the same as the thick Chinese "cut noodles" which are made by
> slicing off the end of a cylinder of dough and dropping it into boiling
> soup/water?

Probably. I've never made it myself, but I was told the noodles were made
by dropping dough from a spoon into boiling water. The longer you boil
them, the chewier the noodles become.

The soup itself contains milk, butter, pepper, onions, cut squash, and
best of all, lots and lots of those noodles. One of these days I'm going to
have to dig out the recipe and make some.

Don

imascot

Nov 25, 2007, 4:13:58 PM11/25/07
nos...@nospam.com wrote in

> Do share your kill filters.. I've been gone for a while and all my
> filters are gone.

Here you go. Oh dear, do you suppose that by posting these, I've exposed them to spambots?

007.m...@gmail.com
chinas...@gmail.com
daish...@gmail.com
davi...@worldnewstonight.net
fashion...@hotmail.com
fashi...@hotmail.com
globwho...@126.com
globwh...@126.com
gold...@126.com
gop...@gmail.com
gop...@gmail.com
gop...@gmail.com
hewufhe...@gmail.com
huan...@gmail.com
jakgu...@hotmail.com
janeg...@hotmail.com
jennym...@googlemail.com
joyous...@yahoo.com.cn
ju.d...@163.com
ju.d...@163.com
judy...@163.com
judy...@163.com
mi5v...@mi5.gov.uk
mil...@gmail.com
nikes4w...@yahoo.com.cn
niketr...@yahoo.com.cn
poll...@hotmail.com
rem...@gmail.com
ruby8...@hotmail.com
sneakers...@yahoo.com.cn
winry...@gmail.com
zam...@gmail.com
cheapes...@hotmail.com
geo...@humboldt1.com
bagb...@gmail.com
ckev...@gmail.com
chrisb...@gmail.com
cnve...@hotmail.com
cherr...@gmail.com
khud...@gmail.com
huan...@gmail.com
ed...@cox.net
gop...@gmail.com
ktt...@gmail.com
glenb...@googlemail.com
daish...@gmail.com
hah...@gmail.com
hongf...@gmail.com
huan...@gmail.com
tra...@shiftmail.com
don.2...@gmail.com
tomek777s...@o2.pl
lopo...@gmail.com
overi...@yahoo.com.cn
nenad...@shiftmail.com
rem...@gmail.com
midnyt09t...@gmail.com
rod.sp...@gmail.com
rod_...@yahoo.com
sho...@hotmail.com
jul...@bellsouth.net
unava...@protected.email (doncha love the nerve of this email addy?)
usene...@the-domain-in.sig
wyz...@hotmail.com

A year ago, I only had three entries..............................

J.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Nov 26, 2007, 8:34:57 AM11/26/07

>>>How's the drought treating you?
>
>>Kinda complicated. Have a bumper crop of walnuts, kale and collards
>>seem OK, and the recent rain has been a hinderance to some
>>construction. Today looks bright and cool, the rest of the weekend is
>>supposed to bring more rain.
>
>It was bright, until my framing nailer jammed and we couldn't clear it.
>Further work on the deck was much slower. Im looking for a local tool
>repair place to see what they can do.

I kept on, and had the deck screwed before dark. Hmmm, that didn't
come out right...

The pace of the work we held in constructing the deck and ease of
communication made it about one of the most enjoyable construction
projects I've ever worked on. I still am amazed that I completely
forgot about eating. Let me know about your nailer. I'll pay for
whatever is required.

Ended up having to drive Mrs. Chickpea to Bham yesterday. Total time
expended 4 hrs, including stops for gas and breakfast, plus the stop
at the destination. When I got back I was able to paint half the
study during the rain. I'll do the rest today and hope to get to work
on the power as well.

Gary Heston

Nov 26, 2007, 10:32:14 PM11/26/07
In article <8lhlk3prjja1o5981...@4ax.com>,
<hchi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]

>>It was bright, until my framing nailer jammed and we couldn't clear it.
>>Further work on the deck was much slower. Im looking for a local tool
>>repair place to see what they can do.

>I kept on, and had the deck screwed before dark. Hmmm, that didn't
>come out right...

Great! Perhaps we can get the deck at the south end done next week.

>The pace of the work we held in constructing the deck and ease of
>communication made it about one of the most enjoyable construction
>projects I've ever worked on. I still am amazed that I completely
>forgot about eating. Let me know about your nailer. I'll pay for
>whatever is required.

There's a P-C service/dealer here; they were able to get the nail head
out while I was there, but when the tech tried to test it, it just blew
air and didn't fire. He said it was probably an O-ring, should be ready
tomorrow. I don't think it'll be much. Relax, that nailer decked half
of the floor and all of the roof of a Habitat for Humanity house; it's
probably due for some work.

>Ended up having to drive Mrs. Chickpea to Bham yesterday. Total time
>expended 4 hrs, including stops for gas and breakfast, plus the stop
>at the destination. When I got back I was able to paint half the
>study during the rain. I'll do the rest today and hope to get to work
>on the power as well.

Sounds good; it'll be nice to not need the generator.

I'll let you know on the nailer.

Jon v Leipzig

Nov 27, 2007, 3:44:12 AM11/27/07

Ditto that
(if it's the Real one....not a cheap Chinese imitation)

Dennis

Nov 27, 2007, 1:03:23 PM11/27/07
On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 03:44:12 -0500, Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com>
wrote:

Maybe she's a curse-inside-a-blessing, like: "May you live in
interesting times."

Dennis (evil)