_Possible_ new tactic by rapists/robbers to incapacitate their victims. (listed as"undetermined" on Snopes)

A Texan From Connecticut

May 13, 2008, 5:57:23 AM5/13/08
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/burundanga.asp

Burundanga

Claim: Strangers use burundanga-soaked business cards to
incapacitate victims

Example: [Collected via e-mail, May 2008]

And Another Warning . . . Last Wednesday, Jaime Rodriguez's neighbor
was at a gas station in Katy. A man came and offered his neighbor his
services as a painter and gave her a card. She took the card and got
in her car. The man got into a car driven by another person. She left
the station and noticed that the men were leaving the gas station at
the same time.

Almost immediately, she started to feel dizzy and could not catch her
breath. She tried to open the windows and in that moment she realized
that there was a strong odor from the card. She also realized that the
men were following her.

The neighbor went to another neighbor's house and honked on her horn
to ask for help. The men left, but the victim felt bad for several
minutes. Apparently there was a substance on the card, the substance
was very strong and may have seriously injured her.

Jaime checked the Internet and there is a drug called "Burundanga"
that is used by some people to incapacitate a victim in order to steal
or take advantage of them.

Please be careful and do not accept anything from unknown people on
the street.

Kickin' Ass and Takin' Names

May 13, 2008, 6:11:07 AM5/13/08
On May 13, 5:57 am, ultim...@excite.com (A Texan From Connecticut)
wrote:

If the business card causes the person who receives it to become
incapacitated, why is it that the person who is carrying these cards,
handing them out, handling them all day long is not affected????

Lars Eighner

May 13, 2008, 6:22:06 AM5/13/08
In our last episode, <4829654a...@news-server.ca.rr.com>, the lovely
and talented A Texan From Connecticut broadcast on alt.politics:

> http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/burundanga.asp

> Burundanga

What is very dubious about this story is the method of delivery. Apparently
"Burundanga" really exists and is a source of the belladonna alkaloid
scopolamine --- not surprising as the plant is (by some accounts) a member
of the nightshade family. It would seem to be suitable for use as a
date-rape drug and there are number reports of it being used to rob tourists
--- but by putting it in food or drink. The active prinicple is not
volitile and won't come wafting up from a business card.

Scopolamine can be absorbed, at least in some preparations, transdermally,
and indeed, there is a transdermal patch used for motion sickness. But
transdermal patches remain in contact with the skin for a long time --- much
more contact than is involved in putting a business card in a purse. And
how come it did not affect the robber too? He obviously handled it as much
as the victim might. I think I'd be a bit suspicious if someone put on
gloves to touch something he was going to hand me. If Katy is Katy, Texas,
there was no time in May, 2008, that "last Wednesday" would have provided a
weather excuse for wear gloves.

--
Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/> use...@larseighner.com
Countdown: 252 days to go.

Patriot Games

May 13, 2008, 9:05:10 AM5/13/08
On Tue, 13 May 2008 09:57:23 GMT, ulti...@excite.com (A Texan From
Connecticut) wrote:
>http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/burundanga.asp
>Burundanga
>Claim: Strangers use burundanga-soaked business cards to
>incapacitate victims

Bogus.

Scopolamine has been used under the name burundanga, a jungle form of
Rohypnol in Venezuelan and Thailand resorts in order to drug and then
rob tourists. While there are unfounded rumours that delivery
mechanisms include using pamphlets and flyers laced with the drug, not
enough is readily absorbed through the skin to have an effect.
However, spiked alcoholic drinks are occasionally used.

A nine part series on the drug, also known as "Colombian Devil's
Breath", can be found on VBS.TV.

http://www.vbs.tv/shows.php?search=Burundanga

In recent years the criminal use of scopolamine has become an
epidemic. Approximately fifty percent of emergency room admissions for
poisoning in Bogotá have been attributed to scopolamine.

Victims of this crime are often admitted to a hospital in police
custody, under the assumption that the patient is experiencing a
psychotic episode. A telltale sign is a fever accompanied by a lack of
sweat.

Scopolamine is used criminally as a date rape drug and as an aid to
robbery, the most common act being the clandestine drugging of a
victim's drink. It is preferred because it induces anterograde
amnesia, or an inability to recall events prior to its administration
or during the time of intoxication.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopolamine

Patriot Games

May 13, 2008, 9:07:39 AM5/13/08
On Tue, 13 May 2008 03:11:07 -0700 (PDT), "Kickin' Ass and Takin'
Names" <PopUl...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On May 13, 5:57 am, ultim...@excite.com (A Texan From Connecticut)
>wrote:
>> http://www.snopes.com/horrors/mayhem/burundanga.asp
>> Burundanga
>> Claim:   Strangers use burundanga-soaked business cards to
>> incapacitate victims
>> Please be careful and do not accept anything from unknown people on
>> the street.
>If the business card causes the person who receives it to become
>incapacitated, why is it that the person who is carrying these cards,
>handing them out, handling them all day long is not affected????

Stop being mean to paranoid homos.

They need excuses to wet their pants every day.

They need excuses to blame others for their problems.

Al Bundy

May 14, 2008, 10:34:18 AM5/14/08
wrote:

> Please be careful and do not accept bullshiat from unknown people on
> the Internet.

Stormin Mormon

May 18, 2008, 5:36:09 PM5/18/08
So, the stranger is standing there for ??how long?? without being knocked
out by his own card?

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus