Just Canceled Cable TV

timeOday

Jun 7, 2008, 1:51:30 PM6/7/08
Well, after noticing my most recent bill was $110 just for Internet +
analog "Standard Cable," I finally pulled the plug. I can afford it,
but it's just not a good value. They made me work to cancel, I was on
hold over 15 minutes. (Comcast has one submenu for upgrading service,
and a separate one for downgrading, hmmmm.) I couldn't cancel Internet,
but I did downgrade to the sub-megabit service, so my total savings
should be close to $70 per month! That's unless I come crawling back
for the 6mps Internet, which might happen, but still I'd be saving $50/mo.

My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by watching
Disney right now. I think this will be good for all of us. I realized
flipping channels wasn't adding much to my quality of life, and the
networks, for all their supposed demise, have most of the programming I
watch anyways. I got a digital receiver for my PVR and discovered free
digital broadcast is much better quality than the analog cable I was
paying for. So I also applied for the government coupons to get a
digital->analog box for my TV. I might also get the $9/mo netflix plan.
Heck, for the money I saved, I could go to a concert every month.

Anyways, I struck my blow for frugality this month.

BeaF...@msn.com

Jun 7, 2008, 2:08:54 PM6/7/08

Frugal movie watching can be found at Red Box. Instant gratification
and cheap at redbox.com . I down graded my cable and the movies I
watch are more current then the cable movie channels.

timeOday

Jun 7, 2008, 2:24:41 PM6/7/08
BeaF...@msn.com wrote:
> Frugal movie watching can be found at Red Box. Instant gratification
> and cheap at redbox.com . I down graded my cable and the movies I
> watch are more current then the cable movie channels.

Redbox is a good service. My only problem is it ends up costing us
about $5 / movie because we never, ever manage to return them on time.
That's why I'm thinking netflix might be better for us.

Rod Speed

Jun 7, 2008, 3:01:16 PM6/7/08
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote:

> Well, after noticing my most recent bill was $110 just for Internet +
> analog "Standard Cable," I finally pulled the plug. I can afford it,
> but it's just not a good value. They made me work to cancel, I was on
> hold over 15 minutes. (Comcast has one submenu for upgrading service,
> and a separate one for downgrading, hmmmm.) I couldn't cancel
> Internet, but I did downgrade to the sub-megabit service, so my total
> savings should be close to $70 per month! That's unless I come crawling
> back for the 6mps Internet, which might happen, but still I'd be saving $50/mo.

> My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by watching Disney right now.

Guess who will be picking your nursing home...

val189

Jun 7, 2008, 3:04:31 PM6/7/08
On Jun 7, 1:51 pm, timeOday <timeOday-UNS...@theknack.net> wrote:

> Heck, for the money I saved, I could go to a concert every month.

Or wet your gas tank a bit.

> Anyways, I struck my blow for frugality this month.

Congrats for taking a stand and cutting back. What's next to go?

Logan Shaw

Jun 7, 2008, 3:19:55 PM6/7/08

I solved that problem by living really, really close to a grocery store
that had the kiosk. I would simply drive or walk to the grocery store
immediately before popping in the movie, then go back immediately afterwards
and drop it off. Of course, that doesn't work for everybody, but they (and
similar competing services) have a lot of kiosks, so it could work for
some people.

Eventually I switched to Blockbuster online, which I actually like a bit
better because there is a much wider selection of available movies.

- Logan

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 7, 2008, 3:17:26 PM6/7/08
timeOday wrote:

> My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by watching
> Disney right now.

There are a number of current Disney shows that are availble for free
online.

Dennis

Jun 7, 2008, 3:34:57 PM6/7/08
On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 11:51:30 -0600, timeOday
<timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote:

>Well, after noticing my most recent bill was $110 just for Internet +
>analog "Standard Cable," I finally pulled the plug. I can afford it,
>but it's just not a good value. They made me work to cancel, I was on
>hold over 15 minutes. (Comcast has one submenu for upgrading service,
>and a separate one for downgrading, hmmmm.) I couldn't cancel Internet,
>but I did downgrade to the sub-megabit service, so my total savings
>should be close to $70 per month! That's unless I come crawling back
>for the 6mps Internet, which might happen, but still I'd be saving $50/mo.
>
>My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by watching
>Disney right now. I think this will be good for all of us. I realized
>flipping channels wasn't adding much to my quality of life, and the
>networks, for all their supposed demise, have most of the programming I
>watch anyways.

Same here, most of what I watch is available on free digital broadcast
TV. I just downgraded the programming on my satellite recever. If it
were only up to me, I would have dropped it completely, but my wife
watches news and house & garden shows during the day, and my kids like
to watch the children's channels. But maybe I can wean them
incrementally rather than going cold turkey. ;-)

> I got a digital receiver for my PVR and discovered free
>digital broadcast is much better quality than the analog cable I was
>paying for. So I also applied for the government coupons to get a
>digital->analog box for my TV. I might also get the $9/mo netflix plan.
> Heck, for the money I saved, I could go to a concert every month.

We have an HDTV in the family room, but I picked up one of the Digital
Stream converters at Radio Shack for use on a bedroom TV. I was
surprised how easy it was to set up and use. I think the digital
conversion should go fairly smoothly, even for non-tech types.

I had the $9/mo Netfilx plan for several months but recently they
started throttling my shipments, so I suspended it for the summer --
I'd rather spend the time doing other things anyway.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm behind the eight ball, ahead of the curve, riding the wave,
dodging the bullet and pushing the envelope. -George Carlin

bar...@amnia.com

Jun 7, 2008, 3:55:57 PM6/7/08

That is why I prefer Netfix. I have one movie that has been sitting on
the tv for two weeks with no late fee when I return it.

m...@privacy.net

Jun 7, 2008, 6:00:39 PM6/7/08
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote:

>Anyways, I struck my blow for frugality this month.

Good deal!!

Congrats!

Vandy Terre

Jun 7, 2008, 8:39:56 PM6/7/08
wrote:

>Well, after noticing my most recent bill was $110 just for Internet +

I live where satellite TV is the only option for live TV. Saved for several
years to afford to have satellite installed. Enjoyed it for a few years and
lost source of income, satellite TV was first to fall in the drive to reduce
expenses. Then the dear husband showed me the weather services on line, so I no
longer miss weather channel. Instead of $100.00 for satellite, we add three or
four new movies ($5 to $15 each) to the dvd collection. No commercials, no
lines of type top or bottom of the feature, personal control of viewing, I am in
heaven.

Mark Anderson

Jun 7, 2008, 9:54:36 PM6/7/08
In article timeOda...@theknack.net says...

> I might also get the $9/mo netflix plan.
> Heck, for the money I saved, I could go to a concert every month.
>
> Anyways, I struck my blow for frugality this month.

I cancelled cable in 1992 and have never looked back. The only shows I
watch with rabbit ears now are Lost and the Simpsons so my TV won't even
be turned on again until perhaps some Sunday in late September. Lost
won't start up again until next year. I've been debating whether or not
to get the digital to analog converter. I've seen them around here
being sold for $60 plus tax which is more like $67 all day in Crook
County Illinois. The government coupon is only $40 so I'm wondering why
I should fork over $27 for a box that can't be worth more than $25 all
day. By giving out these coupons the government basically allowed the
converter box companies to jack their prices up another $40. Another
corporate welfare program but I digress. I'm seriously debating just
chucking the boob tube and the VCR, which hasn't been touched in a
decade, onto freecycle and be done with it.

That said, Netflix is great and I watch all the DVDs on my computer
monitor, a 22" LCD screen.

Bill

Jun 8, 2008, 10:52:06 AM6/8/08
I canceled my cable TV several years ago when they sent me one too many rate
increases. I don't miss it at all.

There are all sorts of cool books out there to read or to read aloud to
others (library). Then many VCR tapes can be purchased for just $1.

You can sit and talk* to others in your family, go for walks, ride bikes,
etc.

*Talking to other people is something which people did a long time ago
before TV. This may be mentioned in a history book if you are not familiar
with it.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 12:24:50 PM6/8/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote:
>
>> My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by
>> watching Disney right now.
>
> Guess who will be picking your nursing home...

If you can't make the choice yourself, you won't care.

--
Cheers, Bev
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Jordan Hazen

Jun 8, 2008, 12:26:13 PM6/8/08
In article <MPG.22b4f7d97...@chi.news.speakeasy.net>,
Mark Anderson <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote:
[...]

>I've been debating whether or not to get the digital to analog
>converter. I've seen them around here being sold for $60 plus tax
>which is more like $67 all day in Crook County Illinois. The
>government coupon is only $40 so I'm wondering why I should fork over
>$27 for a box that can't be worth more than $25 all day. By giving
>out these coupons the government basically allowed the converter box
>companies to jack their prices up another $40. Another corporate
>welfare program but I digress.

There's more inside those boxes than you might think-- ATSC tuner,
MPEG2 decoder, frame buffer, downsampler, NTSC signal generator, RF
modulator, power supply, and a small embedded computer to manage it
all... basically everything that a digital TV requires, plus a few
extra bits for the analog output, but minus an actual display.

Their complexity is roughly equal to a low-end satellite receiver or
digital cable box.

Out of curiosity, how much do the cheapest set-top DVB-T to PAL
converters sell for in Europe? e.g. Freeview boxes in the UK? Anyone
know? After accounting for exchange rate differences, this might be a
good proxy for an unsubsidized ATSC converter's price.
--
Jordan.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 12:27:41 PM6/8/08
val189 wrote:

We did it long ago, and every time the cable company raises internet
rates I call up and rant and they give me the old rate for another 6
months.

How difficult that is depends on the individual you talk to. If the
person seems extraordinarily obstinate, hang up (while you're talking,
of course) and call back in 5 minutes. Sooner or later you'll get lucky.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 12:31:25 PM6/8/08
bar...@amnia.com wrote:

Your actual cost per movie depends on how quickly you watch and return
the movies. Your scheme makes sense only if you have the
one-movie-per-month plan, and not much even then.

We got our Netflix cost down to less than a buck a movie, but we had to
work at it. Not pleasant, which sort of defeats the purpose.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 12:39:45 PM6/8/08
Mark Anderson wrote:

> ...The government coupon is only $40 so I'm wondering why

> I should fork over $27 for a box that can't be worth more than $25 all
> day.

Walmart has them for $50. That's a just-in-case price.

> By giving out these coupons the government basically allowed the
> converter box companies to jack their prices up another $40.

Maybe not that much; I can't imagine buying anything like that for only
$10. Hard to even find cables for $10 (assuming you use only the
ordinary sources :-) ).

> Another
> corporate welfare program but I digress. I'm seriously debating just
> chucking the boob tube and the VCR, which hasn't been touched in a
> decade, onto freecycle and be done with it.

DVD recorders are way handier than VCRs.

> That said, Netflix is great and I watch all the DVDs on my computer
> monitor, a 22" LCD screen.

The problem with that is dark movies are pretty much unwatchable. I
also like to curl up on the couch, and that doesn't work very well.

Dennis

Jun 8, 2008, 2:17:30 PM6/8/08
On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 20:54:36 -0500, Mark Anderson
<m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote:

>I cancelled cable in 1992 and have never looked back. The only shows I
>watch with rabbit ears now are Lost and the Simpsons so my TV won't even
>be turned on again until perhaps some Sunday in late September. Lost
>won't start up again until next year.

Lost episodes are available online at http://abc.go.com. Quite good
video quality and you only have to put up with 3 or 4 30-second
comercials. You can even start/stop/pause/replay the video like a
PVR.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Logan Shaw

Jun 8, 2008, 2:22:41 PM6/8/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote:
>> timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote:

>>> My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by
>>> watching Disney right now.
>>
>> Guess who will be picking your nursing home...
>
> If you can't make the choice yourself, you won't care.

Going off on this tangent, a friend was telling me about a plan that
an elderly relative of his had. There was a facility in his area of
town that is both a retirement home and a nursing home: if you can
take care of yourself pretty well, you live in an apartment in one
wing (with a living room, a kitchen, etc.). If you ever reach the
point where you can't, you move to a room in the other wing. So a
group of friends got together and they hatched the plan of all moving
to the same place when they got ready to do that.

The advantage of this plan is that while it's a bummer to move out of
a house you've been in for decades, etc., etc., at least it's compensated
for by the fact that you're moving to a place where you already know
a bunch of people. And if you ever have to go to the nursing home side,
there are people in your social circle who might just check in and say
hello every now and then, because they live in the same building. So
you stand a chance of getting more than just visits from family members.

For all I know, this is not really that new an idea, but I thought it
was a neat way to make living in a retirement community a lot more fun
than it could be otherwise.

- Logan

Rod Speed

Jun 8, 2008, 2:35:34 PM6/8/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote

>>> My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by watching Disney right now.

>> Guess who will be picking your nursing home...

> If you can't make the choice yourself, you won't care.

Tell that to my neighbour's dad.

Bit hard tho, the nursing home just killed him, quite literally.

Gave him his minimal meds, just the low dose asprin, and the meds
for the schitzo in the next room. He only lasted a day after that.

Rod Speed

Jun 8, 2008, 2:42:37 PM6/8/08
Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote

> The Real Bev wrote
>> Rod Speed wrote
>>> timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote

>>> Guess who will be picking your nursing home...

>> If you can't make the choice yourself, you won't care.

> Going off on this tangent, a friend was telling me about a plan that
> an elderly relative of his had. There was a facility in his area of
> town that is both a retirement home and a nursing home: if you can take care of yourself pretty well, you live in an
> apartment in one wing (with a living room, a kitchen, etc.). If you ever reach the point where you can't, you move to
> a room in the other wing.

My dad picked one of those himself.

Didnt work out the way it was meant to tho, once he got bad enough
to need the nursing home, there werent any beds available in it. He
ended up in one on the other side of the country, where my sister lives.

> So a group of friends got together and they hatched the plan of all moving to the same place when they got ready to do
> that.

> The advantage of this plan is that while it's a bummer to move out of a house you've been in for decades, etc., etc.,
> at least it's compensated for by the fact that you're moving to a place where you already know a bunch of people. And
> if you ever have to go to the nursing home side, there are people in your social circle who might just check in and
> say hello every now and then, because they live in the same building. So you stand a chance of getting more than just
> visits from family members.

It doesnt necessarily work out as planned tho.

> For all I know, this is not really that new an idea,

Yep, been around for decades now.

> but I thought it was a neat way to make living in a retirement community a lot more fun than it could be otherwise.

Dunno, a nursing home with visits from people you know doesnt appeal to me at all.

I'll be pulling the plug before it ends up like that.

Rod Speed

Jun 8, 2008, 2:45:54 PM6/8/08
Jordan Hazen <j...@VictorTangoEleven.net.invalid> wrote:
> In article <MPG.22b4f7d97...@chi.news.speakeasy.net>,
> Mark Anderson <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> I've been debating whether or not to get the digital to analog
>> converter. I've seen them around here being sold for $60 plus tax
>> which is more like $67 all day in Crook County Illinois. The
>> government coupon is only $40 so I'm wondering why I should fork over
>> $27 for a box that can't be worth more than $25 all day. By giving
>> out these coupons the government basically allowed the converter box
>> companies to jack their prices up another $40. Another corporate
>> welfare program but I digress.

> There's more inside those boxes than you might think-- ATSC tuner,
> MPEG2 decoder, frame buffer, downsampler, NTSC signal generator,
> RF modulator, power supply, and a small embedded computer to
> manage it all... basically everything that a digital TV requires, plus
> a few extra bits for the analog output, but minus an actual display.

> Their complexity is roughly equal to a low-end satellite receiver or digital cable box.

> Out of curiosity, how much do the cheapest set-top DVB-T to PAL
> converters sell for in Europe? e.g. Freeview boxes in the UK? Anyone know?

The Australian ones are typically $30 class money.

The Real Bev

Jun 8, 2008, 4:18:59 PM6/8/08
Dennis wrote:

> On Sat, 7 Jun 2008 20:54:36 -0500, Mark Anderson
> <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote:
>
>>I cancelled cable in 1992 and have never looked back. The only shows I
>>watch with rabbit ears now are Lost and the Simpsons so my TV won't even
>>be turned on again until perhaps some Sunday in late September. Lost
>>won't start up again until next year.
>
> Lost episodes are available online at http://abc.go.com. Quite good
> video quality and you only have to put up with 3 or 4 30-second
> comercials. You can even start/stop/pause/replay the video like a
> PVR.

Or you can record them onto the DVR's HD or DVD off the air and then
watch them all at once skipping over the commercials. Much more
enjoyable -- you don't have to keep saying "Huh? Where did HE come from?"

When continuity counts, watching one episode per week is unsatisfactory.

--
Cheers, Bev
Lawyering: the only profession that if you

George Grapman

Jun 8, 2008, 7:28:15 PM6/8/08
I have three at a time for $16. I rent about 10 a month so about
$1.50 a movie and no gas or parking meters.

Gordon

Jun 8, 2008, 10:47:02 PM6/8/08
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote in

Good move,
O yanked the cable last February.
Since then we have been finding that the internet is full
of TV programming. The kids watch all the Squarebob they
want over the internet, and Joost has enough on demand
programing to add veriety.

Dennis

Jun 8, 2008, 11:21:00 PM6/8/08
On Sun, 08 Jun 2008 13:18:59 -0700, The Real Bev
<bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Dennis wrote:
>> Lost episodes are available online at http://abc.go.com. Quite good
>> video quality and you only have to put up with 3 or 4 30-second
>> comercials. You can even start/stop/pause/replay the video like a
>> PVR.
>
>Or you can record them onto the DVR's HD or DVD off the air and then
>watch them all at once skipping over the commercials. Much more
>enjoyable --

I do record Lost on my PVR (OTA in HDTV), but we watch them once a
week as the season progresses. Agreed, the skipping commercials part
does make a big difference in the enjoyment level. But I find that I
lose interest/overload after watching the second or third episode
back-to-back.

I didn't start watching until Season 2, so the ABC site has been nice
for me to catch up on the Season 1 details/backstories that I missed.

> you don't have to keep saying "Huh? Where did HE come from?"
>
>When continuity counts, watching one episode per week is unsatisfactory.

Not a problem for me, and my wife has me to fill her in for her "Huh?"
moments. ;-)

Dennis (evil)

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 9, 2008, 12:37:19 AM6/9/08
Dennis wrote:

> Lost episodes are available online at http://abc.go.com. Quite good
> video quality and you only have to put up with 3 or 4 30-second
> comercials.

It's only available to people in the US, though, but I agree, it was a
great move to put it on HD on the web.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 9, 2008, 12:38:11 AM6/9/08
Gordon wrote:
> Since then we have been finding that the internet is full
> of TV programming. The kids watch all the Squarebob they
> want over the internet, and Joost has enough on demand
> programing to add veriety.

You have found Hulu, right? www.hulu.com

Cheapo Groovo

Jun 9, 2008, 11:31:22 AM6/9/08
Red Box Free Rental

http://www.redbox.com/Help/Signup.aspx

In article <5f87ae68-4f45-4445-90a8-
fe987d...@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, BeaF...@msn.com says...

> On Jun 7, 10:51 am, timeOday <timeOday-UNS...@theknack.net> wrote:
> > Well, after noticing my most recent bill was $110 just for Internet +
> > analog "Standard Cable," I finally pulled the plug.  I can afford it,
> > but it's just not a good value.  They made me work to cancel, I was on
> > hold over 15 minutes.  (Comcast has one submenu for upgrading service,
> > and a separate one for downgrading, hmmmm.)  I couldn't cancel Internet,
> > but I did downgrade to the sub-megabit service, so my total savings
> > should be close to $70 per month!  That's unless I come crawling back
> > for the 6mps Internet, which might happen, but still I'd be saving $50/mo.
> >
> > My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by watching
> > Disney right now.  I think this will be good for all of us.  I realized
> > flipping channels wasn't adding much to my quality of life, and the
> > networks, for all their supposed demise, have most of the programming I
> > watch anyways.  I got a digital receiver for my PVR and discovered free
> > digital broadcast is much better quality than the analog cable I was
> > paying for.  So I also applied for the government coupons to get a
> > digital->analog box for my TV.  I might also get the $9/mo netflix plan.
> >    Heck, for the money I saved, I could go to a concert every month.
> >
> > Anyways, I struck my blow for frugality this month.

Dennis

Jun 9, 2008, 12:29:59 PM6/9/08

I only wish that the (paid) Netflix online video had the same quality
as the (free) ABC video.

Ken

Jun 9, 2008, 1:29:23 PM6/9/08
Mark Anderson <m...@nospambrandylion.com> wrote in

Coincidence! I cancelled cable the same time - my basic cable bill
doubled and I dropped it. I only watched C-SPAN and sports anyhow. Now I
listen to jazz and classical on XM radio and read. I'd never go back to
TV even if it was free. I no longer have a working set.

A disadvantage now is I can't get broadband internet without the TV
feed. And my phone company does not (and likely never will) run DSL out
where I live. So I'm stuck with a 45k dial-up connection. Forget about
DLing most software - takes many hours and usually my connection gets
dropped.

Ken

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 9, 2008, 1:44:55 PM6/9/08
What about satellite? It's getting better and more affordable.

The Real Bev

Jun 9, 2008, 4:26:21 PM6/9/08
Ken wrote:

> A disadvantage now is I can't get broadband internet without the TV
> feed.

Are you absolutely sure? They've already run cable to your house and
their incremental cost to give you broadband again is just about zero.
Make them an offer they can't refuse!

Mine is willing to negotiate if you get the right person.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Message has been deleted

RosesnRain

Jun 10, 2008, 9:03:43 AM6/10/08
On Jun 7, 12:51 pm, timeOday <timeOday-UNS...@theknack.net> wrote:
> Well, after noticing my most recent bill was $110 just for Internet +
> analog "Standard Cable," I finally pulled the plug.  I can afford it,
> but it's just not a good value.  They made me work to cancel, I was on
> hold over 15 minutes.  (Comcast has one submenu for upgrading service,
> and a separate one for downgrading, hmmmm.)  I couldn't cancel Internet,
> but I did downgrade to the sub-megabit service, so my total savings
> should be close to $70 per month!  That's unless I come crawling back
> for the 6mps Internet, which might happen, but still I'd be saving $50/mo.
>
> My kids are bracing themselves for the disconnect tomorrow by watching
> Disney right now.  I think this will be good for all of us.  I realized
> flipping channels wasn't adding much to my quality of life, and the
> networks, for all their supposed demise, have most of the programming I
> watch anyways.  I got a digital receiver for my PVR and discovered free
> digital broadcast is much better quality than the analog cable I was
> paying for.  So I also applied for the government coupons to get a
> digital->analog box for my TV.  I might also get the $9/mo netflix plan.

>    Heck, for the money I saved, I could go to a concert every month.
>
> Anyways, I struck my blow for frugality this month.

I did the same only I took everything out, cable, internet! I had
enough of the high cost especially with fuel costs. I was not
watching anything really but the major networks and I can get those
without paying for them. I still get about 14 channels on my 6month
old HDTV in the livingroom. I have ordered the coupons for the
converter boxes but I don't think they will pick up anymore stations
on that tv than it already gets and I agree with whoever said it that
the HD tv stations are a lot better!

Beva

Bob F

Jun 10, 2008, 2:45:16 PM6/10/08

"The Real Bev" <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote in message

You can adjust the brightness, contrast, etc in your computer video boards
"video" settings - at least I do. Mine has a seperate adjustment for video
content.

Jim Prescott

Jun 10, 2008, 3:28:17 PM6/10/08
In article <1b38c883-b38a-4825...@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

RosesnRain <beva...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>I did the same only I took everything out, cable, internet! I had
>enough of the high cost especially with fuel costs. I was not
>watching anything really but the major networks and I can get those
>without paying for them. I still get about 14 channels on my 6month
>old HDTV in the livingroom. I have ordered the coupons for the
>converter boxes but I don't think they will pick up anymore stations
>on that tv than it already gets and I agree with whoever said it that
>the HD tv stations are a lot better!

A 6 month old HDTV almost certainly includes a digital tuner (aka ATSC)
so you don't need, or want, a converter box for it.

The converter boxes are only useful for older TVs, VCRs and other
recorders that don't have digital tuners. The subsidized converter
boxes are explicitly prohibited from outputting HD; you can tune an HD
channel but the the box will downconvert it to standard definition
before output. If you already have an HDTV with a digital tuner adding
a converter box will just downgrade your HD channels.

The only exception I can see is that you can use the converter box as a
way to provide a second antenna input. This would be helpful if you
have some stations in a different direction than others and don't want to
deal with a rotating antenna. You would point your main antenna to where
you most want HD content and hook it directly to the TV, then you point a
second antenna to the other source and hook it to the converter box.

You can use www.tvfool.com to see what stations you should receive with
various sized antennas and which directions they come from. It can
report both the current stations, and the post 2/17/2009 stations (lots
of channels will be moving and/or changing signal strength at cutover).
--
Jim Prescott - Computing and Networking Group j...@seas.rochester.edu
School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, University of Rochester, NY

The Real Bev

Jun 10, 2008, 5:54:18 PM6/10/08
Bob F wrote:

Linux. Nvidia. The monitor has a brightness control, but that's it.

--
Cheers, Bev
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

George Grapman

Jun 10, 2008, 7:51:21 PM6/10/08
The FCC has been looking into the possibility of a la carte pricing
meaning you would only pay for the channels that you want. Not a sports
fan? cancel ESPN and the regional sports channels. Don't care about
world affairs? Cancel CNN,Fox News and MSNBC.

The cable companies are fighting this and saying it would actually
cost customers more money.

NoSpa...@lousyisp.gov

Jun 10, 2008, 10:14:25 PM6/10/08
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:

> The FCC has been looking into the possibility of a la carte pricing
>meaning you would only pay for the channels that you want. Not a sports
>fan? cancel ESPN and the regional sports channels. Don't care about
>world affairs? Cancel CNN,Fox News and MSNBC.

I've heard this before and then the grounds were that minority
programming (e.g. black TV) was excluded from the package deals so
they wanted all the packages changed to a la carte (something like
that). It didn't go anywhere.

> The cable companies are fighting this and saying it would actually
>cost customers more money.

I wonder what their reasoning is? More likely it'll result in less
money for many networks which are now included in packages (i.e. they
share the revenue) but if the consumer has his pick they're not likely
to be chosen.

George Grapman

Jun 10, 2008, 10:39:09 PM6/10/08
I am skeptical when a business opposes something because they say it
will cost more money for their customers.
Keep in mind than many of the larger cable companies also own
networks (Time/Warner owns CNN,TBS an TNT among other networks, Comcast
owns several regional sports networks,E!,and Versus) and it is in their
interest to get those networks into more homes.

timeOday

Jun 11, 2008, 6:40:44 PM6/11/08

On mplayer, the 3 and 4 keys adjust brightness.
I'm pretty sure settings like that can also be put into a config file so
they come up how you like them by default.

Gordon

Jun 12, 2008, 12:32:35 AM6/12/08
Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply <sam...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote in

Joost is better, and Veoh re-streams hulu
but adds more content.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 12, 2008, 9:37:07 AM6/12/08
Gordon wrote:
> Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply <sam...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote in
>> You have found Hulu, right? www.hulu.com
>
> Joost is better, and Veoh re-streams hulu
> but adds more content.

Do you have any hints on mastering Joost? I like some of the series
they have on there, but I always feel like I am bumping around in the
dark trying to figure out how to use it, and for some reason, it ALWAYS
goes back to the first thing I ever watched on there, which is
INCREDIBLY aggravating. Please, share your knowledge! I would love to
see more of the stuff on Joost and to be able to find more things other
than junk.

As far as I know, Veoh does CBS programming, Hulu does NBC and Fox
programming, AOL captures some of these and rebroadcasts them, and
nobody else does ABC besides their weird interface that inexplicably
claims to have won some award for being best video stream.

rick++

Jun 12, 2008, 5:19:58 PM6/12/08
I switched to basic cable some time ago for $15.
I live in a city with inter-building ghosting.
Although it is only supposed to get the the ten broadcast channels,
its more like about 45. Most of the extra are
spanish, vendor, and community access channels.
But becasue of the they way thye block ranges, I get ten
regular cable channels (DSC, AMC, TMC, CNBC, TCM, MTC, VH1
BET, TVL, TBS) and about 15 fuzzy channels.
Im not sure what happens if they go to pure digital.

The Real Bev

Jun 13, 2008, 1:39:32 AM6/13/08
timeOday wrote:

No bind found for key KP3
No bind found for key KP4

The volume control frequently doesn't work either. Other stuff just
isn't right, like the slider for syncing the sound with the picture.
Last thing I watched was maybe 5 seconds off. Blech.

gxine works better...sometimes...

--
Cheers,
Bev

Gordon

Jun 13, 2008, 2:40:15 AM6/13/08

> Gordon wrote:
>> Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply <sam...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote
>> in

> Do you have any hints on mastering Joost? I like some of the series

> they have on there, but I always feel like I am bumping around in the
> dark trying to figure out how to use it, and for some reason, it
> ALWAYS goes back to the first thing I ever watched on there, which is
> INCREDIBLY aggravating. Please, share your knowledge! I would love
> to see more of the stuff on Joost and to be able to find more things
> other than junk.

Joost is still in beta, so it's going to have a few querks. When you
start with Joost you should begin in the explorer. With the interface
up, click in the Explore bubble on the left side of the screen. Select
a catagory from the list that comes up on the left, or choose the "ABC"
item to see an alphabetical list. Remember that programs in Joost are
arranged in Chanels, which contain episodes. When you see a channel
that you like, hover over it's tile and three icons will appear. The
Play icon should be obvious. The channel will start playing with the
first episode of the channel. You can pause the playback and go back to
the explorer at any time.
As you watch channels, they will be added to your channel list. With
the interface up, you will see a control box at the bottom of the
screen, this is the channel control. The first line has the search box
and a few viewing controls. the 2nd line is your channel history list.
Navigate it by clicking on the arrows to flip from one channel to the
next. The play button to the far right will start playing the current
episode in that channel.
The last line is the episode of the channel that you were last watching.
You can flip through the episodes, same way that you flipped through
the channels. What ever you were watching last is what will come up
when you restart Joost.

> As far as I know, Veoh does CBS programming, Hulu does NBC and Fox
> programming, AOL captures some of these and rebroadcasts them, and
> nobody else does ABC besides their weird interface that inexplicably
> claims to have won some award for being best video stream.

Hulu has a back end that allows other services to use it's content.
A quick browse through Veoh shows that many of it's programs source
from Hulu. Yahoo and Aol also capture Hulu content as well.
But you are right, Veoh has other sources other than Hulu. So Veoh
seems to be the better choice since you will always get more
programming than just Hulu.

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 13, 2008, 8:07:45 PM6/13/08
Gordon wrote:

> Joost is still in beta, so it's going to have a few querks. When you
> start with Joost you should begin in the explorer. With the interface
> up, click in the Explore bubble on the left side of the screen. Select
> a catagory from the list that comes up on the left, or choose the "ABC"
> item to see an alphabetical list.

Oh, THANKS!!!!! I had never seen that A-Z list, and it's tremendously
helpful to try to locate stuff.