Energy usage

Steve

Jul 5, 2007, 5:33:59 PM7/5/07
Excerpts from
http://www.rawstory.com/showarticle.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailymail.co.uk%2Fpages%2Flive%2Farticles%2Ftechnology%2Ftechnology.html%3Fin_article_id%3D466029%26in_page_id%3D1965

http://tinyurl.com/2owdkf

We spend Ł3billion a year powering appliances for entertainment and
communications - the equivalent of Ł125 per house.
By 2020 these gadgets will consume Ł4.87billion of electricity,
including millions wasted when appliances are left on standby.

Many modern appliances are more costly to run than their older
counterparts. Plasma TVs use three times more electricity than CRTs.
Digital radios use seven times as much power as conventional radios.

The typical family home has two or three TVs, two video recorders, one
or two DVD players, a digital TV set-top box, two music systems, three
mobile phones, at least one computer and printer, a cordless phone,
one games console, one or two digital cameras, a camcorder and a
digital radio.

By 2020, the gadgets used for entertainment and communication will
account for 45% of electricity used in homes, equivalent to the output
of 14 power stations. The country will spend about Ł1.6billion running
TVs by 2020, Ł1.4billion powering set-top boxes and Ł970 million on
electricity for computers. Unless TVs, DVD players and set top boxes
are radically redesigned in the next decade, we will spend Ł607million
on gadgets left on standby.

--

Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings,
they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things,

...Margaret Halsey