Re: Converting AVI file collection to DVD

hansonfox

Oct 2, 2007, 12:40:14 AM10/2/07
On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:05:12 +0000 (UTC), -Art- (not Art) wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:18:26 -0400, TJ wrote:
>> I want to convert avi files into DVDs

DVDFlick freeware
http://www.dvdflick.net

Just drag the AVI file onto DVD flick and it will create the DVD files.

Then burn the DVD with ImgBurn freeware
http://www.imgburn.com

Just drag the VIDEO_TS folder onto ImgBurn and it will create the DVD disc.

hansonfox

Oct 2, 2007, 12:59:57 AM10/2/07

Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
quality?

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2007, 1:53:00 AM10/2/07
hansonfox <hansen...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good quality?

Nope, because it also depends on the burner being used.

Oct 2, 2007, 4:23:45 AM10/2/07

"hansonfox" <hansen...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

| Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
| quality?

www.DVDrecordable.org - a good site for reviews on optical media and drives

and http://www.dvdinfopro.com/ - DVDINFOProT by Nic Wilson is a DVD
information program written in Visual C++ for Windows 95, 98, 98SE, ME, NT,
2000, XP. Will tell you how good your burner is and how good the media is

*************************************

kprobe:
from http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/index.php
(2.1Mb download)
allows you to test dvd media by looking at the errors on the disks.

*************************************

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia

Flasherly

Oct 2, 2007, 4:44:29 AM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 12:59 am, hansonfox <hansen.J....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
> quality?

No. You need to read the disk manufacturer's TOC with special ID
programs, and that'll give you the country of origin and which
specific plant the batch of disks came from. Plants are generic,
which means they'll sell their discs to somebody to brand them as they
see fit. Somebody can mean more or less according to their standards.
You have to find out of the batch process is a good one, to go deeper,
types of dyes employed and overall quality. There are trackers -
sites with people doing that sort of thing from surveys and
tabulations for consistent media quality. Among somebody, Taiyo Yuden
used to be a better name for expected quality, last I checked. A
player/writer is no less important. One that doesn't work with good
discs or whose manufacturer doesn't consider its customers for future
media compatibility is effectively cutting its own throat. Don't know
if NEC got back on the boat, but last player (after several NEC 34/35-
series) I bought was a LG model.

** Frank **

Oct 2, 2007, 9:39:50 AM10/2/07

"hansonfox" <hansen...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message

> Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
> quality?

Don't know, but don't buy the store junk brand especially from Fry's junk
GQ(Great Quality) media. Great for hanging on fruit trees to scare off the
birds though. Stick with known quality brands. Check out Google -some prefer
one brand over the other, maybe someone put out a table too. My experience
is a good burner is just as important as the media as it solves much of the
bad burns.

Unlike the retail movies and music which can last for decades, DVD and CD
blanks don't last long due to "rot" and delamination/oxidation - maybe 5
years.

Duddits

Oct 2, 2007, 10:52:08 AM10/2/07

Most tests prefer Taiyo Yuden with Verbatim coming in a close second.
Taiyo Yuden and Verbatim (Mitsubishi Chemical Company) make there own
DVDs while most others (Sony, Maxell, HP, etc) merely contract them
out.

regards

Dud
--
Anyone that enables a troll is as bad as a troll and will be kill filed.
Only trolls take the troll bait.

John Corliss

Oct 2, 2007, 10:59:21 AM10/2/07
hansonfox wrote:
> Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
> quality?

Please don't crosspost off topic discussions into alt.comp.freeware.

Our group is supposed to be for the discussion of freeware, not DVD
media or other hardware.

--
John Corliss BS206. I try not to reply to trolls like Andy Mabbett,
Hummingbird or proteanthread.

Craig

Oct 2, 2007, 11:37:20 AM10/2/07
John Corliss wrote:
> hansonfox wrote:
>> Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
>> quality?
>
> Please don't crosspost off topic discussions into alt.comp.freeware.
>
> Our group is supposed to be for the discussion of freeware, not DVD
> media or other hardware.

Not so fast, John. This thread is bearing fruit ... an admittedly [OT]
question brought up an adware, an expired site and ... and ... <GOLD>!

> kprobe:
> from http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/index.php
> (2.1Mb download)
> allows you to test dvd media by looking at the errors on the disks.

-Craig

complete message:

k wrote:
> "hansonfox" <hansen...@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> |

> | Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
> | quality?

Fred the Red Shirt

Oct 2, 2007, 2:25:19 PM10/2/07
On Oct 2, 4:40 am, hansonfox <hansen.J....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:05:12 +0000 (UTC), -Art- (not Art) wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:18:26 -0400, TJ wrote:
> >> I want to convert avi files into DVDs
>
> DVDFlickfreewarehttp://www.dvdflick.net

> Just drag the AVI file onto DVD flick and it will create the DVD files.
>
> Then burn the DVD with ImgBurn freewarehttp://www.imgburn.com

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2007, 3:06:52 PM10/2/07

I've got heaps that have lasted a hell of a lot longer than that.

In fact havent ever lost any.

Fred the Red Shirt

Oct 2, 2007, 3:15:35 PM10/2/07

On Oct 2, 4:40 am, hansonfox <hansen.J....@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 19:05:12 +0000 (UTC), -Art- (not Art) wrote:
> > On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:18:26 -0400, TJ wrote:
> >> I want to convert avi files into DVDs
>
> DVDFlickfreewarehttp://www.dvdflick.net

> Just drag the AVI file onto DVD flick and it will create the DVD files.

I've been trying to use DVDFlick 1.2.2.1 bluild 442 and Roxio Build:
2.4.32b to create a DVD from some of the Star Trek: Hidden Frontier
files after downloading them in Apple Quicktime (.mov) format.

I've tried creating merging a couple of the shorter episodes into one
iso file with one chapter per video source, and also tried putting a
longer one one with one chapter every ten minutes. In both cases
I get a iso that autoplays when I open it with VLC media player.
Clicking on the VLC media player menu button does nothing and
the playlist only shows one file.

If I burn the iso file to a DVD using Roxio, it does the same thing.

What's up with that? Do other users here get better results?

I'm running Win XP Pro, if that makes a difference.

--

FF

Rod Speed

Oct 2, 2007, 4:13:36 PM10/2/07

You need to setup a proper menu with the two
separate episodes as separate entrys in the menu.

> Do other users here get better results?

Yep.

Susan Bugher

Oct 2, 2007, 11:20:30 PM10/2/07
Craig wrote:
> John Corliss wrote:

>> Please don't crosspost off topic discussions into alt.comp.freeware.

> Not so fast, John. This thread is bearing fruit ... an admittedly [OT]

> question brought up an adware, an expired site and ... and ... <GOLD>!
>
> > kprobe:
> > from http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/index.php
> > (2.1Mb download)
> > allows you to test dvd media by looking at the errors on the disks.

erm. . . ;)

IMO <GOLD>! is a bit of an overstatement. . .

http://www.k-probe.com/
http://www.k-probe.com/download-kprobe-k-probe.php
"K-probe/Kprobe is a liteon testing tool or a DVD Media Quality Testing
Software that can be used by Lite-On DVD Burners on the PC. The program
produces K-probe Scans that show the PI (Parity Inner) and the PIF / PO
(Parity Outer) of the DVD Media, which in turn shows the quality of the
dvd media. CI/CO errors that Kprobe reads are for CD Media."

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=93944
"Kprobe2 is designed to work only with LiteOn DVD/CD burners."

A more versatile app (despite the name):

Program: Nero CD-DVD Speed
Author: Erik Deppe
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Last Updated: 9 August 2007
Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.3 released!

http://www.cdspeed2000.com/faq.html
"Which drives are supported?"
"All CD/DVD/BD or HD DVD drives are supported. However, not all drives
support the following functions: Disc Quality, Advanced Disc Quality, TA
Jitter and Bitsetting"

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Alfred Einstein

Oct 3, 2007, 12:48:40 AM10/3/07
"** Frank **" <noe...@xyz.net> wrote in message

> Don't know, but don't buy the store junk brand especially from Fry's junk
> GQ(Great Quality) media. Great for hanging on fruit trees to scare off the
> birds though. Stick with known quality brands.

The OP wants to know what brand to buy ... he doesn't know what brand. So
you say "stick with known quality brands". That's no answer at all.

Kat Mandu

Oct 3, 2007, 2:04:27 AM10/3/07

CoMa

Oct 3, 2007, 2:23:17 AM10/3/07

Blank media quality guide & FAQ
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

DVD Identifier
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
DVD Identifier offers a reliable method of accurately
identifying a disc's REAL manufacturer.

Craig

Oct 3, 2007, 2:43:58 AM10/3/07
Susan Bugher wrote:
> Craig wrote:
>> John Corliss wrote:
>
>>> Please don't crosspost off topic discussions into
>>> alt.comp.freeware.
>
>> Not so fast, John. This thread is bearing fruit ... an admittedly
>> [OT] question brought up an adware, an expired site and ... and ...
>> <GOLD>!
>>
>>> kprobe: from http://www.cdrlabs.com/kprobe/index.php (2.1Mb
>>> download) allows you to test dvd media by looking at the errors
>>> on the disks.
>
> erm. . . ;)
>
> IMO <GOLD>! is a bit of an overstatement. . .

Only if you don't own a Lite-On, Susan. And after the Benq merger last
year, they have a ~26% worldwide market share - second only to
Hitachi-LG. See for example:
<http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/04/11/liteon_buys_benq_odd_biz/>

If you do own a Lite-on drive, this freeware delivers the data needed to
gauge a disc's quality & durability. Sounds like the jackpot to me.

> "K-probe/Kprobe is a liteon testing tool or a DVD Media Quality
> Testing Software that can be used by Lite-On DVD Burners on the PC.
> The program produces K-probe Scans that show the PI (Parity Inner)
> and the PIF / PO (Parity Outer) of the DVD Media, which in turn shows
> the quality of the dvd media. CI/CO errors that Kprobe reads are for
> CD Media."
>

> A more versatile app (despite the name):
>

> http://www.cdspeed2000.com/faq.html "Which drives are supported?"
> "All CD/DVD/BD or HD DVD drives are supported. However, not all
> drives support the following functions: Disc Quality, Advanced Disc
> Quality, TA Jitter and Bitsetting"

"Versatile," in this case meaning "broader device support, fewer
relevant results."

Thanks anyway though,

-Craig

KCat

Oct 3, 2007, 2:56:25 AM10/3/07
On Tue, 02 Oct 2007 04:59:57 GMT, hansonfox wrote:

> Is there an easy lookup table that shows us which DVD media is good
> quality?

Looks like the answer is http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

KCat

Oct 3, 2007, 4:07:08 AM10/3/07
On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 06:39:50 -0700, ** Frank ** wrote:

> don't buy the store junk brand
> Stick with known quality brands.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm says "understand that the
media brand means nothing".

"It is the media ID that is important". Since "this is not written on
packaging or anywhere else", you'll need programs to decipher the media ID.

For Windows, try DVD Identifier (free), DVDInfo (free), ImgBurn (free), DVD
Decrypter (free). For Macintosh OS X: DVD Media Inspector (free). For
Linux: dvd+rw-mediainfo (free).

Amused

Oct 3, 2007, 9:27:54 AM10/3/07
"CoMa" <hubbab...@algonet.se> wrote in message

Thanks for the info. I downloaded and installed the DVD Identifier and
tested the two different stacks of DVD disks I happened to have.
First stack was Verbatim made by Mitsubishi Chemical, and ranked "First
Class"
The second stack was Memorex made by CMC Magnetics, ranked "Fourth Class"

---This pretty much explains some of the intermittent problems we've had
only I didn't realize that it could be laid at the doorstep of the disk
manufacturer.

James....

Fred the Red Shirt

Oct 3, 2007, 12:29:14 PM10/3/07
On Oct 2, 8:13 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks. I'm pretty sure that I checked through all of the
pages under the :"Edit File" and "Project Settings" buttons,
and see no option to setup a menu, let alone a 'proper'
one. :-)

I also see no mention of how to setup menus in the Guide.

Can you point me to the feature to which you refer?

> > Do other users here get better results?
>
> Yep.

Hmm, does this mean that I have a bum version of DVDFlick?

--

FF

Kat Mandu

Oct 3, 2007, 12:39:22 PM10/3/07
Amused wrote:

>> DVD Identifier
>> http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
>> DVD Identifier offers a reliable method of accurately
>> identifying a disc's REAL manufacturer.
>>

> Thanks for the info. I downloaded and installed the DVD Identifier and
> tested the two different stacks of DVD disks I happened to have.
> First stack was Verbatim made by Mitsubishi Chemical, and ranked "First
> Class"
> The second stack was Memorex made by CMC Magnetics, ranked "Fourth Class"
>
> ---This pretty much explains some of the intermittent problems we've had
> only I didn't realize that it could be laid at the doorstep of the disk
> manufacturer.
>
> James....

Hmm. I use DVD Identifier, as well, and have never noticed it appraising
DVDs as to class ("First Class," "Fourth Class"). And I just
double-checked to see if I'd been missing something obvious. Where in
DVD Identifier did you see these classifications of your DVDs?

Message has been deleted

Amused

Oct 3, 2007, 3:11:57 PM10/3/07
"Kat Mandu" <Ma...@isp.ne> wrote in message

You snipped too much...

Go to the first url...
http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Kat Mandu

Oct 3, 2007, 3:33:49 PM10/3/07

Yes. I realized where you had come up with your DVD classifications
right after sending my post, which I then attempted to cancel.

Rod Speed

Oct 3, 2007, 3:55:38 PM10/3/07
Fred the Red Shirt <fredf...@spamcop.net> wrote:

You're looking in the wrong place. With Roxio you have to
use the correct tool which allows you to do the menus.

> I also see no mention of how to setup menus in the Guide.

> Can you point me to the feature to which you refer?

With Roxio Creator 8, you use Create DVD or Quick DVD.

>>> Do other users here get better results?

>> Yep.

> Hmm, does this mean that I have a bum version of DVDFlick?

I wasnt talking about DVDFlick, you need to use Roxio if you want to fiddle with menus etc.

DVDFlick is intended for no menus.

Amused

Oct 3, 2007, 5:42:25 PM10/3/07
"Kat Mandu" <Ma...@isp.ne> wrote in message

<Grin> They're not "my" classifications.

I've been burning disks for years, now and this stuff was all news to me.
Lord, I wish I'd run across some of this information a couple of years, ago.
It's a long story but it would have saved a BUNCH of head scratching and
wondering what the hell was going on.

James..

OneSolution

Oct 3, 2007, 10:23:00 PM10/3/07
On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:33:49 -0700, Kat Mandu wrote:

Katmandu,
HOW did you manage to delete your posting?
I'm amazed.
I didn't know it could be done.
For example, how would I delete THIS posting after the fact?
Please tell me your genius!!!!!

Kat Mandu

Oct 3, 2007, 11:23:57 PM10/3/07

Right-click your post that you wish to cancel, then choose "Cancel
Message" (this is in Thunderbird). Although I've done it quite a few
times before, I've always been uncertain as to whether or not it
actually succeeded in canceling the post. I *do* know, however, that
*if* it does work, the longer the time between posting and cancellation,
the more people will receive it, anyway, despite the cancellation.

Perhaps someone will come along with some definitive information on our
ability, or lack thereof, of canceling posts to this newsgroup. Probably
I've just been fooling myself that it's even within the realm of
possibilities. (But I *do* enjoy thinking outside the box.)

Gary Heston

Oct 3, 2007, 11:27:37 PM10/3/07
In article <j9YMi.224$R95...@nlpi070.nbdc.sbc.com>,

It's called canceling an article; due to abuse of the function by
various jerks, a lot of sites no longer forward cancel messages.

Which is why some people saw it and were able to respond.

Gary
ex-newsadmin

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Rod Speed

Oct 4, 2007, 12:16:41 AM10/4/07
Kat Mandu <Ma...@isp.ne> wrote:
> OneSolution wrote:
>> On Wed, 03 Oct 2007 12:33:49 -0700, Kat Mandu wrote:
>>
>> Katmandu,
>> HOW did you manage to delete your posting?
>> I'm amazed.
>> I didn't know it could be done.
>> For example, how would I delete THIS posting after the fact?
>> Please tell me your genius!!!!!
>
> Right-click your post that you wish to cancel, then choose "Cancel
> Message" (this is in Thunderbird). Although I've done it quite a few
> times before, I've always been uncertain as to whether or not it
> actually succeeded in canceling the post.

Usually it doesnt unless you do it very quickly after posting and
the news server is a bit slow to move stuff out to the wider usenet.

> I *do* know, however, that *if* it does work, the longer the time between posting and
> cancellation, the more people will receive it, anyway, despite the cancellation.

And once its got out to the wider usenet, past the news server you use,
very few servers honor cancels because they are so often done maliciously.

OneSolution

Oct 4, 2007, 2:46:08 AM10/4/07
On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 03:27:37 -0000, Gary Heston wrote:

>>HOW did you manage to delete your posting?

>>I didn't know it could be done.
>>For example, how would I delete THIS posting after the fact?
>>Please tell me your genius!!!!!
>
> It's called canceling an article; due to abuse of the function by
> various jerks, a lot of sites no longer forward cancel messages.

OK. I cancelled the posting listed above and will check tomorrow to see
that it is deleted. Interesting. Very interesting. Thanks!

Fred the Red Shirt

Oct 4, 2007, 3:50:04 PM10/4/07

Yes, to add a little bit of information, NNTP, which is
the protocol used by Usenet, allows for "cancel" messages
which have a higher priority than normal messages.
Thus in the early days when propagation could take
days (weeks, where Usenet was propagated by magnetic
tape) the 'cancels' would catch up with and overtake the
messages being canceled. These days normal propagation
is so fast that probably most articles are fully distributed before
the cancels catch up (Just my guess). If so, then
most people will have a chance to see the article at
least for a short time before it disappears from their
server.

Like a lot of things on the internet, it is apparently trivial for
people smarter than I to forge cancels. As noted above,
for that reason, may servers will not forward cancels at
all.

--

FF

Fred the Red Shirt

Oct 4, 2007, 3:57:17 PM10/4/07
On Oct 3, 7:55 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Fred the Red Shirt <fredfigh...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> I wasnt talking aboutDVDFlick, you need to use Roxio if you want to fiddle with menus etc.

> DVDFlickis intended for no menus.

IOW, when I asked "Do other people get better results"
and you ansewered "Yep". You meant "Yep--by using
ROXIO instead." Hopefully I've got it in two.

See .sig below.

--

FF

Clouseau: (Looking at dog) "Does your doggie bite?"

Clerk: "No".

Clouseau: (Reaches out to pet dog--dog nips him.)
"I thought you said you dog does not bite!"

Clerk: "That is not my dog."

Kat Mandu

Oct 4, 2007, 4:32:54 PM10/4/07

Thanks for the additional info.

Rod Speed

Oct 4, 2007, 4:54:07 PM10/4/07
Fred the Red Shirt <fredf...@spamcop.net> wrote:

>>> It's called canceling an article; due to abuse of the function by
>>> various jerks, a lot of sites no longer forward cancel messages.
>>
>> OK. I cancelled the posting listed above and will check tomorrow to
>> see that it is deleted. Interesting. Very interesting. Thanks!
>
> Yes, to add a little bit of information, NNTP, which is
> the protocol used by Usenet, allows for "cancel" messages
> which have a higher priority than normal messages.
> Thus in the early days when propagation could take
> days (weeks, where Usenet was propagated by magnetic
> tape) the 'cancels' would catch up with and overtake the
> messages being canceled. These days normal propagation
> is so fast that probably most articles are fully distributed before
> the cancels catch up (Just my guess).

The real reason that cancels dont work is because most news servers
dont honor cancels anymore, because they are so often done maliciously.

> If so, then most people will have a chance to see the article at
> least for a short time before it disappears from their server.

Most in fact continue to be available for as long
as they would have if a cancel was not issued at all.

> Like a lot of things on the internet, it is apparently trivial for
> people smarter than I to forge cancels. As noted above,
> for that reason, may servers will not forward cancels at all.

And dont honor cancels that they receive either.

Rod Speed

Oct 4, 2007, 4:57:34 PM10/4/07
Fred the Red Shirt <fredf...@spamcop.net> wrote:
>> I wasnt talking about DVDFlick, you need to use Roxio if you want to

>> fiddle with menus etc.
>>
>> DVDFlickis intended for no menus.

> IOW, when I asked "Do other people get better results" and you
> ansewered "Yep". You meant "Yep--by using ROXIO instead."

You had already mentioned Roxio yourself, so it wasnt obvious
that you meant just DVDFlick in that particular question.

> Hopefully I've got it in two.

You did.

> See .sig below.

Doesnt apply in this case.

Gary R. Schmidt

Oct 4, 2007, 6:20:58 PM10/4/07
Fred the Red Shirt wrote:
[SNIP}

> for that reason, may servers will not forward cancels at
> all.
It's not just that cancel messages aren't forwarded, it's that they
aren't acted on when they are received.

Cheers,
Gary B-)

whether you were up them with or not
- Barry Humphries

Fred the Red Shirt

Oct 5, 2007, 1:25:51 PM10/5/07
On Oct 4, 8:54 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Fred the Red Shirt <fredfigh...@spamcop.net> wrote:

> >> OK. I cancelled the posting listed above and will check tomorrow to
> >> see that it is deleted. Interesting. Very interesting. Thanks!
>
> > Yes, to add a little bit of information, NNTP, which is
> > the protocol used by Usenet, allows for "cancel" messages
> > which have a higher priority than normal messages.
> > Thus in the early days when propagation could take
> > days (weeks, where Usenet was propagated by magnetic
> > tape) the 'cancels' would catch up with and overtake the
> > messages being canceled. These days normal propagation
> > is so fast that probably most articles are fully distributed before
> > the cancels catch up (Just my guess).
>
> The real reason that cancels dont work is because most news servers
> dont honor cancels anymore, because they are so often done maliciously.

The real reason I wrote the paragraph above was to provide a bit
of historical perspective perspective, not to explain why cancels
don't work.

> > If so, then most people will have a chance to see the article at
> > least for a short time before it disappears from their server.
>
> Most in fact continue to be available for as long
> as they would have if a cancel was not issued at all.

Probably so. Google, at least, honors cancels that originate
with Google's Usenet interface.

> > Like a lot of things on the internet, it is apparently trivial for
> > people smarter than I to forge cancels. As noted above,
> > for that reason, may servers will not forward cancels at all.
>

> And don't honor cancels that they receive either.

Ah yes, quite so.

--

FF