Estate sales aren't frugal

Seerialmom

Oct 25, 2008, 10:57:23 PM10/25/08
Unless they're run by the family themselves and just want to get rid
of everything. I'm amazed at the ridiculous prices charged by these
professional "Estate" sales people. $20 for a basic Pyrex nesting
bowl I can buy at a thrift store for $3 or a normal yard sale for 50
cents? I went to a couple of these estate sales over the weekend and
the prices are apalling. If I wasn't on the hunt for an old school
console stereo (which I plan to repurpose as a TV stand/entertainment
center, I don't want some cheap particle board set up from Ikea), I
wouldn't have even bothered stopping.

Tony

Oct 26, 2008, 8:37:16 AM10/26/08
You're shopping in the wrong neighborhoods. Poor people tend to overprice
things at garage sales whereas rich people tend to underprice them.

Seerialmom wrote:

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Gary Heston

Oct 26, 2008, 11:47:03 AM10/26/08
In article <83ece772-095a-472d...@x16g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,

Go to estate auctions rather than estate sales; at sales, family-run or
otherwise, items have fixed prices. At auctions, it's whatever's bid,
which can be a dollar or two for an old console stereo or console TV.
There's just not much demand for them any more. I have a dead console
TV that I plan to turn into a cabinet by cutting out the front, making
smoked-plexiglass doors, and installing shelves and a solid back. The
guts will go to the local hazardous waste facility for recyling.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Why is it that these days, the words "What idiot" are so frequently
followed by the words "at Microsoft"?

Bob F

Oct 26, 2008, 4:49:52 PM10/26/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Try visiting late in the sale when they want to dump everythig left.

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 26, 2008, 7:18:01 PM10/26/08
On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:47:03 -0500, ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston)
wrote:

> I have a dead console
>TV that I plan to turn into a cabinet by cutting out the front, making
>smoked-plexiglass doors, and installing shelves and a solid back. The
>guts will go to the local hazardous waste facility for recyling.
>

>Gary

I have some smoked plexiglass about 16" wide and a few feet long if
you want some for your project.

Seerialmom

Oct 27, 2008, 8:49:51 PM10/27/08

On Oct 26, 5:37 am, Tony <T...@TheDeli.Sandwich> wrote:
> You're shopping in the wrong neighborhoods. Poor people tend to overprice
> things at garage sales whereas rich people tend to underprice them.

> --

> The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG
>
> Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city
>
> Nay, Art thou decideth playeth ye simpleton games. *Some* of us know
> proper manners
>
> Very few. I used to take calls from *rank* noobs,
>
> Hamster isn't a newsreader it's a mistake!
>
> El-Gonzo Jackson FROGS both me and Chuckcar
>
> Using my technical prowess and computer abilities to answer questions
> beyond the realm of understandability
>
> Regards Tony... Making usenet better for everyone everyday

Not talking about "yard sales". I'm talking about professional
"estate sales" where the grieving family hires a 3rd party to
liquidate the assets of the recently deceased. These "estate agents"
also seem to bring along leftovers they've acquired from other sales
and the prices are outrageous. Of course there's those "professional"
sellers who hunt down deals at other garage sales, buy cheap and then
run their own sale, marking up the price considerably. They might
also be annoying enough to title it an "estate sale" even though no
one died. So in terms of pricing hierachy it seems to be from least
to most: yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores, estate sales. But I
do agree with you that the best "yard sales" are in neighborhoods
where the people just want to clear out the garage and aren't that
worried about what they paid for the strawberry iMac they bought 5
years ago.

FrouClou

Oct 27, 2008, 10:26:17 PM10/27/08
Seerialmom <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in

> Not talking about "yard sales". I'm talking about
> professional "estate sales" where the grieving family hires a
> 3rd party to liquidate the assets of the recently deceased.
> These "estate agents" also seem to bring along leftovers
> they've acquired from other sales and the prices are
> outrageous. Of course there's those "professional" sellers
> who hunt down deals at other garage sales, buy cheap and then
> run their own sale, marking up the price considerably. They
> might also be annoying enough to title it an "estate sale"
> even though no one died. So in terms of pricing hierachy it
> seems to be from least to most: yard sales, flea markets,
> thrift stores, estate sales. But I do agree with you that the
> best "yard sales" are in neighborhoods where the people just
> want to clear out the garage and aren't that worried about
> what they paid for the strawberry iMac they bought 5 years
> ago.

You don't have to be dead to have an estate sale.

You just need an estate to have a sale. :-)

Al Bundy

Oct 28, 2008, 9:49:29 AM10/28/08

Through the years I have learned to avoid all garage sale where the
sign says Estate Sale, antiques, or crafts. The words "HUGE" and
"MULTI-FAMILY" often mean they don't have much to sell either.