Lithium Ion or NiMH power tool "systems": Which one?

1 view

m...@privacy.net

Oct 17, 2007, 5:57:10 PM10/17/07
I was originally looking to buy a Dust Buster type
device but all the consumer ones have built in
rechargeable batteries....such that once the battery
dies you have to throw away the whole unit. Very
wasteful!!

I recently came across many power tool "systems" where
you buy the battery units separate and they can be
slipped on various hand tools such as drill, chop saw,
and hand vacs!

Curious which brand/model is the best value in terms of
light weight, stamina, etc?

Is Li-Ion better than say NiMH?

Any brands to consider such as Black and Decker new GPX
system? Milwaukee's?

I'm only buying the hand vac and battery system for
now..... but since I have no other power tools "might"
need the drill or saw at some point.

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2007, 7:20:45 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> I was originally looking to buy a Dust Buster type
> device but all the consumer ones have built in
> rechargeable batteries....such that once the battery
> dies you have to throw away the whole unit. Very
> wasteful!!
>
> I recently came across many power tool "systems" where
> you buy the battery units separate and they can be
> slipped on various hand tools such as drill, chop saw,
> and hand vacs!
>
> Curious which brand/model is the best value in terms of
> light weight, stamina, etc?

> Is Li-Ion better than say NiMH?

Yes, most of the time except for very heavy load devices.

E Z Peaces

Oct 17, 2007, 9:13:34 PM10/17/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:
> I was originally looking to buy a Dust Buster type
> device but all the consumer ones have built in
> rechargeable batteries....such that once the battery
> dies you have to throw away the whole unit. Very
> wasteful!!
>
> I recently came across many power tool "systems" where
> you buy the battery units separate and they can be
> slipped on various hand tools such as drill, chop saw,
> and hand vacs!
>
> Curious which brand/model is the best value in terms of
> light weight, stamina, etc?
>
> Is Li-Ion better than say NiMH?

The NiCad is widely used for power tools. It's safe, simple, and the
longest lasting. It thrives on fast charges and fast discharges. NiMH
his a higher power density but won't tolerate fast charges as well.
More can go wrong with charging and the self-discharge is faster.

Li-Ion are expensive for a given capacity. The available current is
limited because high current can cause them to catch fire.

> Any brands to consider such as Black and Decker new GPX
> system?

I haven't heard of it.

m...@privacy.net

Oct 18, 2007, 12:53:26 PM10/18/07
>The NiCad is widely used for power tools. It's safe, simple, and the
>longest lasting. It thrives on fast charges and fast discharges. NiMH
>his a higher power density but won't tolerate fast charges as well.
>More can go wrong with charging and the self-discharge is faster.
>
>Li-Ion are expensive for a given capacity. The available current is
>limited because high current can cause them to catch fire.

So bottom line Ni-Cad still has the edge for current
delivery?

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2007, 3:10:31 PM10/18/07
m...@privacy.net wrote:

Yep, thats why they are still available even tho they have other downsides.

E Z Peaces

Oct 19, 2007, 3:05:31 PM10/19/07

There are some lithium rechargeables used for power tools. Two
advantages are that they are smaller than NiCads of the same capacity
and they will hold a charge a very long time. Two disadvantages are
that they don't last as long and they are expensive to replace.

Three things used to kill NiCads pretty fast: the old 14-hour chargers,
leaving them on a trickle charge, and letting them sit unused. These
three things let crystals grow, and the crystals drain the charge
internally. A modern fast charger charges your nicads and shuts off.

Another problem is memory effect. If for example, you normally recharge
before a cell gets to down to 50%, before long it will appear drained
when you get down to 50%. Instead of throwing it away, you can erase
the memory effect by giving it time to drain completely. One method
would be to leave it 24 hours in a one-cell flashlight.

Nine years ago, when NiMH was supposed to be so much better, I bought 8
AA cells and a fast charger. I also soldered a resistor to a battery
holder so that when a I think a cell went dead too soon, I can give it
time to drain completely before recharging. I've had those cells in
daily use and so far haven't seen any deterioration.

Treated that way, NiCads are supposed to last longer than NiMH. Two
drawbacks are that they won't hold as big a charge and they become
hazardous waste.