Shredded personal documents

Just A User

Oct 29, 2007, 5:40:36 PM10/29/07
I shred important documents that have personal info on them rather than
just throwing them in the recycle or regular trash but what to do with
all those shreds? I save them for when I go camping for starting a
campfire, but only need a little for this purpose. So if there any
frugal / environmentally friendly for getting rid of this waste I would
appreciate any suggestions. I hate to help fill up the local landfill if
there are any other uses for this stuff.

Ken

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Oct 29, 2007, 6:11:13 PM10/29/07

"Just A User" <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote in message

just burn it all, troll.

Just A User

Oct 29, 2007, 6:14:31 PM10/29/07
Hey All, why would you call me a troll? Or do you just call everyone a
troll? Anyway you just earned a spot in my killfile.

Don K

Oct 29, 2007, 8:15:00 PM10/29/07

Don K

Oct 29, 2007, 8:17:16 PM10/29/07
"Just A User" <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote in message

There's a guy in the midwest that started saving bits of string and now
has the largest ball of string in the world.

Maybe if you connected the shreds together, they could be wound into
a ball.

Don

jo...@phred.org

Oct 29, 2007, 8:39:12 PM10/29/07
Shredder waste composts well.

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

<RJ>

Oct 29, 2007, 9:57:43 PM10/29/07
On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 17:40:36 -0400, Just A User <k...@up-yours-spammer.net>
wrote:

Put the strips in a plastic baggie
Add water and a few drops of dish degergent.
Close the bag and squish a few times.....
Papier mache !!

<rj>

Brian Elfert

Oct 29, 2007, 9:59:14 PM10/29/07

Why not recycle the shredded paper? If you're worried about someone
reassembling the strips get a crosscut shredder.

Gary Heston

Oct 29, 2007, 10:28:07 PM10/29/07
In article <WM2dnT_rsKP1zrva...@giganews.com>,

Just A User <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote:

If it's all paper, i.e. no bits of shredded CDs or other hard plastic,
check with your local animal shelter. They may want it for bedding.

And, once they're done with it, I doubt anyone will ever be able to
reassemble anything...

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Logan Shaw

Oct 30, 2007, 12:59:55 AM10/30/07
Just A User wrote:
> I shred important documents that have personal info on them rather than
> just throwing them in the recycle or regular trash but what to do with
> all those shreds? I save them for when I go camping for starting a
> campfire, but only need a little for this purpose. So if there any
> frugal / environmentally friendly for getting rid of this waste I would
> appreciate any suggestions.

Collect a bunch of paper together. Soak it in water until it becomes a
pulp. Then bleach it. Finally, press it out into a very thin sheet,
let it dry completely, and cut it into rectangles of convenient sizes,
say 8.5"x11". Then get a pen, and write down all the reasons you could
possibly have chosen to waste your precious few moments here on the planet
obsessing over what to do with recyclable paper rather than just putting
it in the recycle bin. Then go for a hike, or go on a cruise, or write
a novel, or volunteer for some local group that actually does some good
in the world, or something. :-)

- Logan

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 6:38:27 AM10/30/07
The world largest paper ball? Interesting. But not something I am
interested in trying. I think I will just compost it like someone else
suggested.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 6:39:22 AM10/30/07
jo...@phred.org wrote:
> Shredder waste composts well.

Thanks, I don't know why I didn't thin of that idea, call it brain fade.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 6:42:42 AM10/30/07
It is a cross cut shredder. I guess I could put the shreds in a paper
bag an put it in the recycle. I tried just dumping the shreds in the bin
and they blew all over the neighborhood.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 6:44:34 AM10/30/07
Gary Heston wrote:
> In article <WM2dnT_rsKP1zrva...@giganews.com>,
> Just A User <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote:
>> I shred important documents that have personal info on them rather than
>> just throwing them in the recycle or regular trash but what to do with
>> all those shreds? I save them for when I go camping for starting a
>> campfire, but only need a little for this purpose. So if there any
>> frugal / environmentally friendly for getting rid of this waste I would
>> appreciate any suggestions. I hate to help fill up the local landfill if
>> there are any other uses for this stuff.
>
> If it's all paper, i.e. no bits of shredded CDs or other hard plastic,
> check with your local animal shelter. They may want it for bedding.
>
> And, once they're done with it, I doubt anyone will ever be able to
> reassemble anything...
>

> Gary

I wouldn't want to try to reassemble it after that.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 6:48:00 AM10/30/07
A novel! Great idea, I cam write about all the characters that post to
usenet groups, a.k.a. all the people in my killfile.

Shawn Hirn

Oct 30, 2007, 7:09:58 AM10/30/07

I put the shredded paper in small paper grocery bags and drop them in
the recycling bin.

Peter Bruells

Oct 30, 2007, 7:17:58 AM10/30/07

Assuming you are in the USA: Have paper bags gotten out of fashion?

Myself, I put the shreds into our bin, though not at last. Then only
a few , like 30 or so, escape the bin when it gets
emptied. Neglectable pollution, as they scatter very quickly and
decompose.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 8:19:06 AM10/30/07
Yes I am in the usa. And paper bags have almost completely gone away. At
least in the area I live. The shreds do scatter nicely, and that
certainly would reduce the possibility of someone putting all the little
pieces back together.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 8:21:26 AM10/30/07
I don't get paper bags anywhere. Seems like everywhere I shop gives out
plastic bags. I think I will just start a compost pile with the waste.

Peter Bruells

Oct 30, 2007, 8:56:34 AM10/30/07

Unless you use on of the older models which produce only these long
shreds, the risk is neligible. The amount of time and money needed to
exract information from 2x4 mm shreds will in nearly all cases surpass
the possible gain, esp. considering that cheaper methods and easier
victims are around.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 9:18:43 AM10/30/07

I can't even imagine anyone even trying to piece together the waste that
comes out of a cross cut shredder.

Peter Bruells

Oct 30, 2007, 9:23:21 AM10/30/07
Just A User <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> writes:

> Peter Bruells wrote:

> > Unless you use on of the older models which produce only these long
> > shreds, the risk is neligible. The amount of time and money needed to
> > exract information from 2x4 mm shreds will in nearly all cases surpass
> > the possible gain, esp. considering that cheaper methods and easier
> > victims are around.
>
> I can't even imagine anyone even trying to piece together the waste
> that comes out of a cross cut shredder.

Any intelligence or police service will attempt it, if it seems
sensible to do so. It can be automated, though that's a fairly new
and expensive technolgy usually reserved for bigger shreds.

Marc

Oct 30, 2007, 12:30:28 PM10/30/07
On Oct 30, 4:09 am, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <WM2dnT_rsKP1zrvanZ2dnUVZ_tajn...@giganews.com>,

Paper that's shredded with a cross-cut shredder is not recyclable; the
fibers left aren't long enough to work with the recycling process.
It's OK to do this with a strip-cut shredder, but cross-cut paper has
to either be composted or treated as rubbish.

Here's the official advice for it in my locale:
http://www.seattle.gov/util/Services/Recycling/Recyclable_Items/COS_005453.asp

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 12:55:26 PM10/30/07
Well thats kind of interesting, I would never have thought that the
fibers could be to short to be recycled. I guess that means that it's
either trash or composting. I have no composting pile, in fact I have
never even tried it, I don't produce much organic waste as a single
male, but I guess I could use the grapefruit from the tree in my back
yard as the organic waste for a compost pile.

Anthony Matonak

Oct 30, 2007, 1:42:03 PM10/30/07
Just A User wrote:

> Marc wrote:
>> Paper that's shredded with a cross-cut shredder is not recyclable; the
>> fibers left aren't long enough to work with the recycling process.
>>
>> Here's the official advice for it in my locale:
>> http://www.seattle.gov/util/Services/Recycling/Recyclable_Items/COS_005453.asp
>>
> Well thats kind of interesting, I would never have thought that the
> fibers could be to short to be recycled.

This doesn't sound right to me. I can't imagine that a cross-cut
shredder can shorten the already incredibly tiny fibers all that
much. Even if they did, only a small percentage of the fibers
would be affected.

Here's a simple test. Tear a piece of paper. Do you see fibers
several inches long sticking out the edges? Can you even spot
the fibers without a microscope?

Anthony

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 2:31:05 PM10/30/07

Funny I googled it and the only thing I found on my one or two quick
searches about paper recycling and short fibers was on wiki and that
said that paper can only be recycled 4 to 6 times before the fibers
become too short and get washed / carried away in the cleansing process.

val189

Oct 30, 2007, 3:45:30 PM10/30/07
On Oct 29, 4:40 pm, Just A User <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote:
> I shred important documents that have personal info on them rather than
> just throwing them in the recycle or regular trash but what to do with
> all those shreds? I save them for when I go camping for starting a
> campfire, but only need a little for this purpose. So if there any
> frugal / environmentally friendly for getting rid of this waste I would
> appreciate any suggestions. I hate to help fill up the local landfill if
> there are any other uses for this stuff.
>
> Ken

Offer it to someone who needs shipping material. Gift shop in my area
takes it - saves the expense of packing peanuts.

Hope you are also returning peanuts to shipping depots too.

Just A User

Oct 30, 2007, 4:02:47 PM10/30/07
Funny you mentioned the peanuts too. I have a serious collection of them
as well.

jo...@phred.org

Oct 30, 2007, 10:30:33 PM10/30/07
In article <13id3vi...@corp.supernews.com>, bel...@visi.com
says...

> Why not recycle the shredded paper? If you're worried about someone
> reassembling the strips get a crosscut shredder.

Shredder output is cut too small for paper-grade recycling. They
require longer fibers. My office recycling service specifically
prohibits shredder output, whether crosscut or ribbon, because of the
short average fiber length.

That's why the shredder bin is for confidential documents only -- it
takes slightly more time to segregate the waste stream, but that lets us
recycle everything that does not need to be shredded for
confidentiality.

But shredded paper is accepted in my household yard waste/compost
recycling service, since it's cut down fine enough to degrade reasonably
quickly.

jo...@phred.org

Oct 30, 2007, 10:40:27 PM10/30/07

> Here's a simple test. Tear a piece of paper. Do you see fibers
> several inches long sticking out the edges? Can you even spot
> the fibers without a microscope?

Tearing paper, like cutting it, breaks fibers. So no, you won't see
them sticking out that far from the edge of a tear.

Here's an alternative test: drop a spot of water-based ink on the paper
and let it sit for a while. Look around the edge of the drop at how far
the ink wicks out along individual fibers.

Now look at some shredded paper. Let's say the average fiber is only
1/8" long, and your shredded paper is cut in 1/8" strips. What fraction
of the fibers are now cut shorter than 1/8"?

Logan Shaw

Oct 31, 2007, 12:23:36 AM10/31/07
Just A User wrote:
> Logan Shaw wrote:
>> Just A User wrote:
>>> I shred important documents that have personal info on them rather
>>> than just throwing them in the recycle or regular trash but what to
>>> do with all those shreds? I save them for when I go camping for
>>> starting a campfire, but only need a little for this purpose. So if
>>> there any frugal / environmentally friendly for getting rid of this
>>> waste I would appreciate any suggestions.

>> Collect a bunch of paper together. Soak it in water until it becomes a
>> pulp. Then bleach it. Finally, press it out into a very thin sheet,
>> let it dry completely, and cut it into rectangles of convenient sizes,
>> say 8.5"x11". Then get a pen, and write down all the reasons you could
>> possibly have chosen to waste your precious few moments here on the
>> planet
>> obsessing over what to do with recyclable paper rather than just putting
>> it in the recycle bin. Then go for a hike, or go on a cruise, or write
>> a novel, or volunteer for some local group that actually does some good
>> in the world, or something. :-)

> A novel! Great idea, I cam write about all the characters that post to

> usenet groups, a.k.a. all the people in my killfile.

I apologize for that comment. I meant for it to be a humorous and
slightly snarky, but reading over it again, I think if I were reading
it, it would look like a personal slam.

I was really just trying to say that putting the stuff in the recycle bin
may, in fact, be the best thing you can do with it, and if it is, it
doesn't do much good to spend time on it. If you want to make the world a
better place, there are probably better ways to spend that time doing it.

By the way, you can actually soak the paper in water and make it into a
sort of pulp, then compress it into a big solid mass, let it dry for
several weeks, and then you have a sort of faux log for the fireplace.
But according to the results of some googling, the logs don't burn as
well as good firewood. Which makes sense, actually: not all wood is
good for burning. Where I live, we have a bunch of cedar all over the
place just growing wild, but cedar doesn't burn well. It pops and
sputters. The point being that just because something *can* burn
doesn't mean it's a good fuel. In fact, some woods leave unwanted or
dangerous deposits in the chimney. So I personally wouldn't burn logs
made out of shredded paper even if I could, at least not without learning
more about it.

Another possible use is packing materials. But I personally am not
too comfortable with that: if it was sensitive enough to shred, it's
sensitive enough not to send to someone you know or someone you do
business with.

So unless someone comes up with something clever that I haven't heard
before, my best idea is throw it in the recycle bin.

- Logan

Just A User

Oct 31, 2007, 8:27:15 AM10/31/07

I thought you were trying to be like all, or r.s.. Not trying to offend
you but thats the way your reply looked to me. But you have not made my
killfile. Your overall posts are relevant and respectful. I tried the
paper log thing, it doesn't burn well at all. So I guess it comes down
to giving it away to someone, composting it( my choice ) or tossing it
in the trash.

Phred

Oct 31, 2007, 9:37:08 AM10/31/07
In article <AJydnTxU84Ej6bXa...@giganews.com>, Just A User <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote:
>Logan Shaw wrote:
>> Just A User wrote:
[snip]

>> Another possible use is packing materials. But I personally am not
>> too comfortable with that: if it was sensitive enough to shred, it's
>> sensitive enough not to send to someone you know or someone you do
>> business with.
>>
>> So unless someone comes up with something clever that I haven't heard
>> before, my best idea is throw it in the recycle bin.
>
>I thought you were trying to be like all, or r.s.. Not trying to offend
>you but thats the way your reply looked to me. But you have not made my
>killfile. Your overall posts are relevant and respectful. I tried the
>paper log thing, it doesn't burn well at all. So I guess it comes down
>to giving it away to someone, composting it( my choice ) or tossing it
>in the trash.

Why not toss it into the recycle bin? It's still just waste paper. ;-)

But I think composting is good too. It would be here anyway -- the
soil here can use all the organic matter it can get! Mind you, it
would need a fair bit of added nitrogen to speed the process, so
perhaps you could pee on it as part of the process. (Saves water for
flushing the loo too. :)

Cheers, Phred.

--
ppnerk...@THISyahoo.com.INVALID

Just A User

Oct 31, 2007, 10:23:26 AM10/31/07

Well in it's shredded form, it's not of use to the recycling process,
from what I have read, and it tends to blow all over the neighborhood,
the soil here could use the organic matter as well. Sure pee adds
something to the pile, and helps keep the pile moist.

val189

Oct 31, 2007, 12:16:46 PM10/31/07
On Oct 30, 11:23 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Another possible use is packing materials. But I personally am not
> too comfortable with that: if it was sensitive enough to shred, it's
> sensitive enough not to send to someone you know or someone you do
> business with.

I wouldn't think a guy boxing something to ship is going to spend too
much time looking for someone's soc. sec. number.

> So unless someone comes up with something clever that I haven't heard
> before, my best idea is throw it in the recycle bin.

This assumes that paper recycling is available in your area. Would
that it were....I wait til I'm going to the next county and tote a
load of catalogs and the like there where they have paper recycling
bins. My county trash guru is trying to get a paper recycler to take
it and he's not even expecting a cut, but he can't seem to negotiate a
deal a yet.

SpammersDie

Oct 31, 2007, 3:24:57 PM10/31/07

"val189" <gweh...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

> On Oct 30, 11:23 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Another possible use is packing materials. But I personally am not
>> too comfortable with that: if it was sensitive enough to shred, it's
>> sensitive enough not to send to someone you know or someone you do
>> business with.
>
> I wouldn't think a guy boxing something to ship is going to spend too
> much time looking for someone's soc. sec. number.

Fine, so do your banking at an institution that uses shredded documents as
packing material. I won't.

Home shredders do sometimes let portions of documents slip by the blades (at
least mine does.) So shredding is just one layer of security - I still throw
the bag as far back in the dumpster as I can and wait until garbage pickup
day to do it to minimize the window of opportunity for dumpster divers.
Those trees and spotted owls aren't volunteering to help me clean up an
identity theft mess so environmental concerns take second place to security.
If it reduces my chances of having my identity stolen, I'll happily burn
down the trees and shoot the spotted owls myself.

If you really want to address the environmental issue with shredded
sensitive documents, you're better off eliminating as many such documents
that need shredding in the first place. Opt out of paper statements for
those businesses you do online payment with. Opt out of junk mail and
unsolicitied credit card solits. Etc. No criminal can unshred a document
that was never printed to begin with.

Rod Speed

Oct 31, 2007, 4:12:25 PM10/31/07
val189 <gweh...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Oct 30, 11:23 pm, Logan Shaw <lshaw-use...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Another possible use is packing materials. But I personally am not
>> too comfortable with that: if it was sensitive enough to shred, it's
>> sensitive enough not to send to someone you know or someone you do
>> business with.

> I wouldn't think a guy boxing something to ship is going to
> spend too much time looking for someone's soc. sec. number.

The recipient might tho.

Bob F

Oct 31, 2007, 5:00:46 PM10/31/07

> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>> "Just A User" <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote in message

>>> I shred important documents that have personal info on them rather than just
>>> throwing them in the recycle or regular trash but what to do with all those
>>> shreds? I save them for when I go camping for starting a campfire, but only
>>> need a little for this purpose. So if there any frugal / environmentally
>>> friendly for getting rid of this waste I would appreciate any suggestions. I
>>> hate to help fill up the local landfill if there are any other uses for this
>>> stuff.
>>>
>>> Ken
>>
>> just burn it all, troll.
> Hey All, why would you call me a troll? Or do you just call everyone a troll?
> Anyway you just earned a spot in my killfile.

Bob F

Oct 31, 2007, 5:01:29 PM10/31/07

Just block this clown like lots of others do. He doesn't have anything to
contribute.

Bob

Message has been deleted

Bob F

Oct 31, 2007, 5:07:33 PM10/31/07

"Phred" <ppnerkDE...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Why not toss it into the recycle bin? It's still just waste paper. ;-)

But the fibers are cut too short for recycling. They can't make good new paper
from it.

Bob

Just A User

Nov 1, 2007, 6:40:23 AM11/1/07
Bob F wrote:
> "Just A User" <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote in message
>> AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
>>> "Just A User" <k...@up-yours-spammer.net> wrote in message

>>> just burn it all, troll.
>> Hey All, why would you call me a troll? Or do you just call everyone a troll?
>> Anyway you just earned a spot in my killfile.
>
> Just block this clown like lots of others do. He doesn't have anything to
> contribute.
>
> Bob

Yes he has earned a spot in the killfile. Just as mr. speedy has. No
nasty words, no fuss, just filtered.