angle grinder to cut and clean tiles

john westmore_______

Jul 19, 2008, 6:39:00 PM7/19/08
I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our
house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new tile to shape.

I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job. could
anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to remove
this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour. Would I be
able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder and if so what
kind of disc should i buy for this job? Thanks for any advice.

SteveB

Jul 19, 2008, 7:52:02 PM7/19/08
john westmore_______ wrote:

> I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our
> house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new tile to shape.
>
> I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job.
> could anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Dremel

There are plenty of grinding wheels, too.

> Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to
> remove this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour.
> Would I be able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder
> and if so what kind of disc should i buy for this job? Thanks for
> any advice.

Don't grind the paint. You'll ruin the tiles.

Paint stripper will get the paint off the tiles, but you'll never get
the paint out of the grout. Buy the Dremel attachment for removing
grout, then put in new grout.

--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2008, 8:02:23 PM7/19/08
john westmore_______ <blue...@mail.invalid> wrote:

> I have a broken tile in the tiled sill below the front window, on our house. As it's on a curve, i need to cut a new
> tile to shape.

> I was thinking of buying an inexpensive angle grinder to do this job.

That will do the job fine.

> could anyone please recommend an inexpensive one?

Whatever you can find will do the job fine.

> Also the tiles were painted black at one time, and we would like to
> remove this paint and restore the tiles to their original red colour.
> Would I be able to easily grind off this paint with the angle grinder

Nope, you'll damage the red surface doing it that way.

If the tiles are highly glazed, paint stripper should work, but you'll have to
regrout the tiles because the grout will have soaked up the black paint.

> and if so what kind of disc should i buy for this job?

Even a wire brush will damage the red surface, but is what
you should use for that if you want to do it that way anyway.

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2008, 9:19:49 PM7/19/08
Rod Speed, ye paunchy martyr slain in cupid's wars, thou lump of foul
deformity, ye peeped: