Why hot shower? Pools have cool water and ok!

Bill

May 16, 2008, 10:23:39 AM5/16/08
Why is it necessary to have a hot shower?

People jump into swimming pools which have cool water and find it
refreshing!

Turn that water heater temperature down and save money...

Rod Speed

May 16, 2008, 2:10:34 PM5/16/08
Bill <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why is it necessary to have a hot shower?

It isnt necessary, just much more pleasant.

> People jump into swimming pools which have cool water

Nothing like as cool as what comes out of the tap in winter.

> and find it refreshing!

I thought my heart was going to stop one time I did that in very early
spring with a full sized outside pool, the water was so damned cold.

> Turn that water heater temperature down and save money...

I prefer a hot shower in winter.

Jeffy3

May 16, 2008, 4:17:02 PM5/16/08
On May 16, 2:10 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

I guess if I kept my thermostadt at 85 I would like a cold shower in
the morning.

Rod Speed

May 16, 2008, 5:45:49 PM5/16/08
Jeffy3 <jef...@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> and find it refreshing!

I dont when the room temp is that in the summer.

Miriam

May 16, 2008, 9:31:29 PM5/16/08

Wus!

catalpa

May 16, 2008, 9:50:33 PM5/16/08

"Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

And kill your family. Google "water heater" and "Legionnaire's disease" for
the details.

For public health reasons water heaters should be set to a minimum
temperature of 130 F (55 C).

Q. What water conditions are best for growth of the organism?

A. Warm, stagnant water provides ideal conditions for growth. At
temperatures between 20°C-50°C (68°-122°F) the organism can multiply.
Temperatures of 32°C-40°C (90°-105°F) are ideal for growth. Rust (iron),
scale, and the presence of other microorganisms can also promote the growth
of LDB.

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

May 16, 2008, 11:02:55 PM5/16/08
Miriam <miriam.d...@yahoo.com> wrote

> Wus!

I dont whip myself in the back yard either.

Anthony Matonak

May 17, 2008, 12:36:47 AM5/17/08
catalpa wrote:
> "Bill" <billnoma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Why is it necessary to have a hot shower?
>> Turn that water heater temperature down and save money...
>
> And kill your family. Google "water heater" and "Legionnaire's disease" for
> the details.
>
> For public health reasons water heaters should be set to a minimum
> temperature of 130 F (55 C).

It's possible to leave the water heater temperature alone and
simply not use hot water when showering. Here in sunny southern
California the water comes out of the ground around 70F so it's
not like the cold water is all that cold.

Anthony
--
Happiness is never needing a snow shovel.

Logan Shaw

May 17, 2008, 2:28:47 AM5/17/08
Bill wrote:
> Why is it necessary to have a hot shower?

I used to take a long, hot shower every morning. As hot as I could stand
it, and as long as I could make it without making myself late or something
along those lines. I loved hot showers because they were so soothing and
relaxing for aching muscles.

Finally, one day I bought a new mattress, and I discovered that for at
*least* 10 years, if not my whole life, practically, I'd had sore muscles
and a stiff neck for no good reason at all. It was the cruddy mattress
(or series of cruddy mattresses) the whole time. Oops. Live and learn.

- Logan

Miriam

May 17, 2008, 3:08:02 AM5/17/08

Easy to claim, but the neighbours tell a different story.

Rod Speed

May 17, 2008, 5:36:17 AM5/17/08

>>> Wus!

Never ever could lie its way out of a wet paper bag.

Bill

May 17, 2008, 8:35:25 AM5/17/08
> Temperatures of 32°C-40°C (90°-105°F) are ideal for growth. Rust (iron),
> scale, and the presence of other microorganisms can also promote the
> growth of LDB.

If this is the case, then why is Legionnaire's disease not running rampant
in locations like southern Arizona where the outside temperatures are
commonly in the 100's and the "cold water" is warm (in this temperature
range) most of the year?

Will Legionnaire's disease grow in chlorinated water in a closed system like
a water heater which is not open to the outside air?

I would think that Legionnaire's disease would need to be present in the
chlorinated city water system for this to occur?

Or that the chlorine in city water would kill it?

P T

May 18, 2008, 4:01:44 AM5/18/08
Only 2 or 3 months ago in the winter, the water coming out of my tap was
at 38 degrees F. I challenge anyone to shower in water that cold.

On the other hand, some years ago, I participated in a few MS Society
cross-state bicycle tours. When 1000+ people encamp in a smaller city,
the local pool / high school shower facility we used would quickly be
emptied of its hot water. Consequently I took several cold showers.
While I would not now take a "cold" shower willingly, I learned that a
cool or lukewarm shower is about as comfortable as a hot shower,
especially in the summer.
Try it.

Coffee's For Closers

May 19, 2008, 8:26:57 PM5/19/08
In article <6981ohF...@mid.individual.net>,
billnoma...@yahoo.com says...

My understanding is that, the first identified outbreak of
Legionnaire's Disease came from the hot water system in a hotel.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Gary Heston

May 19, 2008, 10:47:51 PM5/19/08
In article <MPG.229bb9c0a...@news.motzarella.org>,
Coffee's For Closers <Usene...@THE-DOMAIN-IN.SIG> wrote:
[ ... ]

>My understanding is that, the first identified outbreak of
>Legionnaire's Disease came from the hot water system in a hotel.

No, from stagnant water in air conditioner condensate pans.

http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/sci/A0829286.html

It's not from a potable water system.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"a member or members of Osama bin Ladens' Al Qaeda network, posing as

Cindy Hamilton

May 20, 2008, 1:39:17 PM5/20/08

It's not necessary, but it's pleasurable. Reason enough for me.

Cindy Hamilton

Message has been deleted