Frugal travel JFK to midtown Manhattan

William Souden

May 21, 2008, 4:44:21 PM5/21/08
I just returned from a trip to NYC and to took the train connection
to midtown. While not recommended for those with many bags or mobility
problems it worked for me:

Air Train to Jamaica-$5
Long Island Railroad to Penn Station-$7.25 (cheaper off-peak. a two
minute walk)

Message has been deleted

William Souden

May 26, 2008, 10:41:35 AM5/26/08
Dan Birchall wrote:
> Seconded - I just did the same thing a little bit earlier than William.
> I was traveling off-peak so I think my LIRR ticket was $5.25 or $5.50.
> I actually connected at Penn Station to NJ Transit and went over to see
> family.
>
> If you want to be a _real_ tightwad, instead of taking the $5+ LIRR
> train from Jamaica to Penn Station, you can take the MTA (subway) "E"
> train, which is only about $2. The AirTrain also goes to Howard Beach
> station (a little closer to JFK) where you can catch the MTA "A" train.
> I used to take the "A" to near Wall Street and then take PATH over to
> NJ.

I knew about that option but since I would have been getting on the
subway during the a.m. commute I opted for the LIRR. still had to stand
but had more breathing room.
Like you I head to NJ Transit,something that would not have been
feasible before they built the Secaucus transfer station (another topic
for another time).
By the way, it was my first trip on Jet Blue. I tool the red eye and
when I could not sleep I had Direct TV (individual monitors for each
seat) and satellite radio.

Binyamin Dissen

Jun 5, 2008, 5:36:28 PM6/5/08
On Mon, 26 May 2008 07:41:35 -0700 William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:

Even cheaper - city bus to subway. #2 total (if you have a metrocard)

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdi...@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

William Souden

Jun 5, 2008, 5:59:40 PM6/5/08

True but since I arrived during the a.m. commute I wanted the extra
breathing room on the LIRR. Also time was a factor as at that hour the
connection I used for NJ Transit only went once each hour.

SMS

Jun 5, 2008, 6:17:23 PM6/5/08
Dan Birchall wrote:

> If you want to be a _real_ tightwad, instead of taking the $5+ LIRR
> train from Jamaica to Penn Station, you can take the MTA (subway) "E"
> train, which is only about $2.

I've done that, not because I was a tightwad, but because the E train
was near my hotel. It would have been less convenient to change trains
twice.

TKM

Jun 5, 2008, 6:16:55 PM6/5/08

"William Souden" <sou...@nospam.com> wrote in message

How do those options compare with the cost of the direct bus to midtown
Manhattan?
TKM

William Souden

Jun 5, 2008, 6:28:34 PM6/5/08
$12 for a direct bus to Grand Central Terminal. You can also take
bus/subway trip for $2. Might be good a some hours but not during 8 a.m.
traffic.I might opt for that and a taxi to Penn Station during
non-commute hours.
A taxi is $45. Great for several people but,again, the traffic situation.