I CONVERTED MY CAR TO A HYBRID FOR ABOUT $150

HIGH-PRICED-GAS-STINX

May 21, 2008, 4:52:12 PM5/21/08
HELLO ALL!

QUIT GIVING ALL OF YOUR CASH TO THE GAS STATION!

CONVERT YOUR CAR TO HYBRID FOR ABOUT$150 AND SAVE!!

EASY TO PERFORM CONVERSION USES STANDARD READILY AVAILABLE PARTS.

YOU OR YOUR MECHANIC CAN CONVERT YOUR CAR TO HYBRID AND YOU CAN BEGIN
SAVING!!!

NO NEED TO PAY THOSE HIGH PRICES FOR THOSE "FACTORY" HYBRID CARS.

CONVERT YOUR OWN CAR FOR A MERE FRACTION OF THE COST QUICKLY!!

CLICK OVER TO http://snurl.com/22oo3

SEE A CONVERSION RUNNING AND SAVING GAS TODAY!!!

William Souden

May 21, 2008, 5:14:12 PM5/21/08
I was skeptical about the claims as well as giving my credit card to
a site that has nor contact details but after seeing a testimonial from
"Kara S." I was convinced.

Seerialmom

May 21, 2008, 5:38:18 PM5/21/08

But you know what...I'm kicking myself for basically giving my 93
Festiva to the Toyota dealership (they gave me $100 trade in value to
get my Yaris), because I could have turned it into a solar powered
car:

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/19/davis.solar.car.ktvb?iref=videosearch

BTW there "may" be a brief commercial first, that's how CNN is of
course.

Lou

May 21, 2008, 7:47:18 PM5/21/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>But you know what...I'm kicking myself for basically giving my 93
>Festiva to the Toyota dealership (they gave me $100 trade in value to
>get my Yaris), because I could have turned it into a solar powered
>car:
>
>http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/19/davis.solar.car.ktvb?iref=vi
deosearch

>BTW there "may" be a brief commercial first, that's how CNN is of
>course.

Cute, but it would be nice to have some real information. Stuff like, how
much did the conversion cost, what's range on a sunny day, what's the range
at night, how long does it take to recharge using solar alone, how long to
recharge from the plug?

Seerialmom

May 21, 2008, 7:52:58 PM5/21/08
On May 21, 4:47 pm, "Lou" <lpog...@verizon.net> wrote:
> "Seerialmom" <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >But you know what...I'm kicking myself for basically giving my 93
> >Festiva to the Toyota dealership (they gave me $100 trade in value to
> >get my Yaris), because I could have turned it into a solar powered
> >car:
>
> >http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2008/05/19/davis.solar.car.ktvb?i...

> deosearch
>
> >BTW there "may" be a brief commercial first, that's how CNN is of
> >course.
>
> Cute, but it would be nice to have some real information.  Stuff like, how
> much did the conversion cost, what's range on a sunny day, what's the range
> at night, how long does it take to recharge using solar alone, how long to
> recharge from the plug?

I know...I really wanted to see "how" he turned that Festiva into a
solar car. Did he dump the original 4 cylinder engine and put an
electric one in it's place? How many batteries does he have sitting
behind the driver. That would have been interesting to see. Plus he
can plug it in? Are specs too much to ask for? :-D

larry

May 21, 2008, 9:56:17 PM5/21/08
Seerialmom wrote:
> On May 21, 4:47 pm, "Lou" <lpog...@verizon.net> wrote:
>> "Seerialmom" <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> But you know what...I'm kicking myself for basically giving my 93
>>> Festiva to the Toyota dealership (they gave me $100 trade in value to
>>> get my Yaris), because I could have turned it into a solar powered
>>> car:
>>
>> Cute, but it would be nice to have some real information. Stuff like, how
>> much did the conversion cost, what's range on a sunny day, what's the range
>> at night, how long does it take to recharge using solar alone, how long to
>> recharge from the plug?
>
> I know...I really wanted to see "how" he turned that Festiva into a
> solar car. Did he dump the original 4 cylinder engine and put an
> electric one in it's place? How many batteries does he have sitting
> behind the driver. That would have been interesting to see. Plus he
> can plug it in? Are specs too much to ask for? :-D

TV news had a story of a fella that took a small car and
removed the engine and bolted an electric (DC) motor to the
transaxle. He could charge it with a 110 or 220 cord in a
few hours, for about 1/10th the cost of gasoline. He had
several hundred dollars in the conversion, but he only had a
20-25 mile range (45 mph max speed). Even in Dallas, that
would be very limiting. And I think it would be difficult
finding a place to "plug in" to make it back home. And with
no a/c, I think my bike would be more tolerable. Or a $3
all day bus pass ;-)

Back in '86 I had a Phoenix friend that did the same thing
with a compact stationwagon. He used an aircraft motor/
generator and recovered some power from braking. The back of
the wagon was stuffed with rebuilt car batteries that did
give him enough range to cover Phoenix. After a summer of
use, he gave it to one of the local universities.

Seems like a localized bio system might be usable.
Individually grow corn or sugar cane, something that has a
high energy per pound ratio. It would be a solar driven,
and even waste (stalks) could be used in winter for heating.
We can't beat the battle as long as it's based on
international pricing whims, all hydrocarbons are priced in
$ per therm now. Price set by traders on what they can make
you believe it's worth and how little is left. Enron was a
wakeup call, that type of manipulation is now international.

-- larry / dallas

Rod Speed

May 21, 2008, 10:35:51 PM5/21/08

Nope, most obviously with power stations based on coal mines.

> Price set by traders on what they can make
> you believe it's worth and how little is left.

Nope, most obviously with power stations based on coal mines.

> Enron was a wakeup call,

Not on that it wasnt.

> that type of manipulation is now international.

No it isnt.

Jeff

May 22, 2008, 7:03:13 PM5/22/08
HIGH-PRICED-GAS-STINX wrote:
> HELLO ALL!
>
> QUIT GIVING ALL OF YOUR CASH TO THE GAS STATION!
>
> CONVERT YOUR CAR TO HYBRID FOR ABOUT$150 AND SAVE!!
>
> EASY TO PERFORM CONVERSION USES STANDARD READILY AVAILABLE PARTS.
>
> YOU OR YOUR MECHANIC CAN CONVERT YOUR CAR TO HYBRID AND YOU CAN BEGIN
> SAVING!!!
>
> NO NEED TO PAY THOSE HIGH PRICES FOR THOSE "FACTORY" HYBRID CARS.
>
> CONVERT YOUR OWN CAR FOR A MERE FRACTION OF THE COST QUICKLY!!

I don't know about this, but, I've just converted one of my cars to run
on water! So far, it runs downhill fine, so I'm halfway there.

Jeff

Lou

May 22, 2008, 9:04:32 PM5/22/08

"Seerialmom" <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

We can make some guesses. The energy in sunlight varies with latitude, time
of day, weather, etc. but a rough average would be on the order of a square
meter receiving about a kilowatt hour per hour on a sunny day. If we assume
a conversion efficiency of 20% and estimate the panels on the car to be 3
square meters, the panels produce roughly six-tenths of a kilowatt hour of
electricity per hour. I don't know the efficiency involved in charging
batteries, but let's assume 90% of the electricity fed into the batteries
can be delivered as useful energy when the batteries are discharged. Which
gives us .54 kWh per daylight hour. Assuming an average of 12 hours of
sunlight per day (I know that's high, the real number is probably more like
half that but these are back of the envelop estimates), the car-plus-panels
can "manufacture" and use somewhat less than 6.5 kWh per day. At 10 cents
per kWh, that's 65 cents worth of electricity. A gallon of gas contains
about 37 kWh of energy, so the whole thing amounts to around 22 ounces
quarts of gasoline a day (about one and a third pints).

Functionally, it may be more - car's aren't real efficient at transforming
the energy in gas into motion, the figure I have in the back of my mind is
around 12% of the energy in the gas ends up delivered to the wheels, while
electric motor efficiency can be over 90%. So in terms of moving a car
around, the panels might do as much as a gallon of gas, or a bit more. Of
course, that doesn't count the energy expenditure involved in running things
like radios, lights, heat, and air conditioning.

To get that gallon equivalent, the solar panels would cost somewhere in the
neighborhood of $1,800 (at least, that's approximately the price based on
prices for larger installations). At $4.00/gallon, you'd break even at 450
days. That doesn't count the cost of batteries, electric motor, and
whatever else might be needed in the way of hardware and installation, and
assumes you drive the maximum the panels can support (and no more) each and
every day, there's never a cloudy day, you're never in the shade, etc. And
of course, it doesn't count the energy expenditure involved in running
things like radios, lights, heat, and air conditioning.

GM estimates that most cars in the US average under 40 miles a day. The
problem is, the average doesn't matter on the day you need to go 100 miles -
unless there's some sort of backup (like a gas engine), such a car just
won't meet most people's needs.