help-vacuum storage bags

mariel2

Jul 15, 2008, 8:42:18 AM7/15/08
Can you please advise, I am getting very confused in choosing some storage
bags for my spare bedding.
The idea was to get some vacuum storage bags but, in the description of one
manufacturer, it is stated that these are not suitable for feathers and down
filled items. Having very little storage space in my home, I desperately
need a solution.
Any comment will be much appreciated.

Best regards.
MS

val189

Jul 15, 2008, 9:53:40 AM7/15/08

I can't speak for the down and feather issue, but will say that I had
better luck with the bags you roll (tip: on floor on your belly etc)
to expel the air than the ones needing the vacuum. The latter
eventually did suck in air and expanded. Plus, a vack is not always at
hand.

The roll type I have used to handle soiled clothes while on a trip, or
to pack a lot of bulky things like a winter robe - no suitcase shud b
without one. Also they're good on a boat or RV where space and/or
moisture can be a problem.

I have to laugh tho - in the tv demonstrations, they always show the
stuff jammed in and how much they can pull out etc - but they never
demo how ya get the stuff in the bag in the first place.

Al Bundy

Jul 15, 2008, 10:10:19 AM7/15/08
On Jul 15, 8:42 am, "mariel2" <mari...@ntlworld.com> wrote:

I'm not sure what the vacuum bags are supposed to do to feathers
except crush some. I don't worry about it. I take a pile of winter
down coats and put them neatly in a large strong trash bag. Then I
hook a vacuum up to the end and hold the bag around the nozzle. The
bag shrinks to a tiny package. I twist the end of the bag closed and
remove it from the vacuum and wrap tape around it. Then I wrap the
whole package in both directions with duct tape to prevent expansion.
This works for me and costs very little.