What's the lowest cell phone cost?

James

Oct 24, 2008, 7:52:18 PM10/24/08
I pay $28 a month for land line for unlimited local calls. Is it
worth it for me to look into replacing it with a cell phone?

Jeff

Oct 24, 2008, 10:34:30 PM10/24/08
James wrote:
> I pay $28 a month for land line for unlimited local calls.

Plus how much in tax?

Is it
> worth it for me to look into replacing it with a cell phone?

Depending on where you are, you might get either MetroPCS or
Unlimited Boost for a few dollars more. Both have unlimited local and on
all but the cheapest plan, unlimited long distance.

These carriers have limited roaming, but not as limited as your home
phone!

Jeff

Dave

Oct 25, 2008, 10:56:08 AM10/25/08

"James" <j006...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I pay $28 a month for land line for unlimited local calls. Is it
> worth it for me to look into replacing it with a cell phone?

Well, Cricket is advertising $30/month unlimited talk, or $45/month
unlimited everything.

http://www.mycricket.com/

I've thought about it myself, but would need to know what network they are
on, and what their sharing agreements are. If they are GSM and share with
ATT/T-Mobile, then that's a pretty good deal. IF they have good signal
strength at your house, that is. -Dave

George

Oct 25, 2008, 12:58:58 PM10/25/08
Cricket uses CDMA and their unlimited plan only covers use in the few
markets they serve:

http://www.mycricket.com/cricketcoveragemaps/area?hocode=510#nationalmap

From their website you need to kick in more if you are outside those areas.

Dave

Oct 25, 2008, 6:00:14 PM10/25/08
>> I've thought about it myself, but would need to know what network they
>> are
>> on, and what their sharing agreements are. If they are GSM and share
>> with
>> ATT/T-Mobile, then that's a pretty good deal. IF they have good signal
>> strength at your house, that is. -Dave
>>

> Cricket uses CDMA and their unlimited plan only covers use in the few
> markets they serve:
>
> http://www.mycricket.com/cricketcoveragemaps/area?hocode=510#nationalmap
>
> From their website you need to kick in more if you are outside those
> areas.

Well that sux. Can't use Cricket, then. -Dave

The Real Bev

Oct 25, 2008, 9:31:03 PM10/25/08
Dave wrote:

Unlocked cellphone + $100 (1000 minutes)+ $10/year for 30 additional
minutes at http://www.t-mobile.com .

I convert my Mypoints points into Target gift certificates, which means
that from now on, since Target sells refill cards, my phone usage is free.

Coverage isn't as good as some other planes, but you can look at the
detailed (My coverage at home sucks, but the neighbor 2 houses down is
in fine shape) coverage map to see if it's acceptable. I've got 850
minutes now, and I use maybe 5 a month, if that.

I'm happy.

--
Cheers,
Bev

George

Oct 26, 2008, 8:29:56 AM10/26/08

Thats the problem with those unlimited regional carriers. A different
company operates in this area and their local coverage isn't anywhere
close to Verizon in this area and there is no coverage when you leave
the immediate area. If you consider how you use the phone there may not
be much difference to a post paid plan at a national carrier. We use
Verizon wireless and have a post paid plan. We also dumped the POTS
line. Most of our family and friends use Verizon so in-network calling
is free.

rick++

Oct 26, 2008, 6:06:27 PM10/26/08
Check the pay-as-you go phones at Targets, Walmarts, Walgreens, etc.
Some have plans as low a $100 a year. You usually have to buy a
minimum
amount each quarter. Virgin's minimum is $15 a quarter. Tracfone's
$100
last whole year.

You dont get many minutes on the minimal plan - I estimated about 25
minutes
a month for Virgin. But it is be long distance too which is helpful
as
more cellphone people keep their old numbers as they move to other
cities.

Cheapo Groovo

Oct 27, 2008, 5:51:28 PM10/27/08
In article <c5d0dcf7-e8d7-43e2-8652-ee2cb5f98011
@v15g2000hsa.googlegroups.com>, j006...@hotmail.com says...

> I pay $28 a month for land line for unlimited local calls. Is it
> worth it for me to look into replacing it with a cell phone?

http://cheapogroovo.vox.com/library/posts/tags/phone+calls/

GP

Oct 28, 2008, 4:35:31 AM10/28/08

"George" <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote in message

> Most of our family and friends use Verizon so in-network calling is free.

So does the whole family come together during Christmas
to decide what provider to use?

And what if some family members choses a different
provider - does everyone else boycott him - no calls
till he returns to the fold?