recording shows if using analog - digital converter box

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Mar 27, 2008, 3:19:08 PM3/27/08
dh says there may be a problem with ntsc boxes. something about being able
to record only the show you're watching.

Logan Shaw

Mar 28, 2008, 1:15:48 AM3/28/08
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> dh says there may be a problem with ntsc boxes. something about being able
> to record only the show you're watching.

First of all, I assume you are talking about a digital television
tuner box. These are actually digital to analog converters, not
the other way around, and they have a tuner in them as well.

Second, it is likely that the box will only be able to tune in one
program at a time, especially since as far as I know, all the boxes
have only one output of each type.

This doesn't mean you'll only be able to record the show you're
watching. You just need a tuner for every program you want to
tune in at a single time. If you're going to tune in one program
to watch it and another program to record it, you'll naturally
need two tuners. I don't think I'd call that a problem, though;
it's just what the boxes are: tuners that tune in one program
at a time.

- Logan

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Mar 28, 2008, 8:32:32 AM3/28/08

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

so if you have one of those converter boxes and an analog tv set,
what can you record? just the station you're watching, right? 'cause
you won't have the ability to tune in another one?

Dennis

Mar 28, 2008, 12:24:26 PM3/28/08

If you have one of those converter boxes and an analog tv set, you
can't record anything. You also need a recording device. If the
recording device has its own ATSC (digital) tuner, you can tune and
record a different program. If the recording device has ony an NTSC
(analog) tuner, yes, you would need another converter box to tune a
different station/program than you are watchng live.

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

aemeijers

Mar 28, 2008, 11:22:37 PM3/28/08
Shrug. That is why, even though I live alone, I got 2 converter boxes.
If the satt feed is down, or there happens to be 2 things I want to
watch at the same time and neither happen to be carried on satt
(actually possible, since my satt locals only include half the OTA
stations, and the locals they carry like to pre-empt stuff for sports),
I'll just set up one to to the VCR, and watch the other.

About one more price hike, and satt will be going bye-bye anyway. Only
signed up with them because even entry-level comcast got beyond my gag
point, price-wise.

--
aem sends...

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Mar 30, 2008, 6:00:41 PM3/30/08

"LDC" <ldco...@san.spamblocker.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:32:32 GMT, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately"
> <der...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>so if you have one of those converter boxes and an analog tv set,
>>what can you record? just the station you're watching, right? 'cause
>>you won't have the ability to tune in another one?
>
> So now you are asking a question. I thought you were the one who
> started this thread by making statements saying the exact same
> thing.

> Get it straight, are you trying to provide information or ask
> questions? I raise the issue only because you took exception with
> someone saying you asked a question. If you took the time to
> compose your post in a standard English format, your messages would
> be clearer.

well, i was just making sure i understood what the guy was saying. which
seemed to be what i said.

> (unnecessary crosspost to m.c.f-l) deleted.

since when is it frugal to buy and item just to find out it doesn't do what
you
expected it to, thereby requiring another purchase, when you could have just
gotten the correct one to begin with if you read all about it on mcfl?

if you're gonna pick on grammar, the least you can do is get yours right.
now,
let me correct YOUR grammar. i'm not worried about mine since i didn't
initiate this.

> Get it straight, are you trying to provide information or ask questions?

"Get it straight" is a complete sentence.

"are you trying to provide information or ask questions?" is also a complete
sentence.

you join 2 complete sentences with a semi-colon (;), not a comma (,):

Get it straight; are you trying to provide information or ask questions?

http://www.englishgrammartutor.com/Punctuation.htm#colon%20and%20semi-colon

The semi colon as external sentence marker

The sentence that follows the semi-colon must begin with a lower-case
letter, and it
must be a sentence. The particular role of the semi-colon is to indicate
that two
consecutive sentences relate more closely than do sentences separated by a
full stop.
Such a relationship exists between the next two sentences. The first says
something
about `Patrick's' position in the matter of `understatement'. The writer's
semi-colon
emphasises the humorous dichotomy of `would be' and `is':

To say that Patrick was relieved would be an understatement; understatement
is one
thing our flamboyant friend is not famous for.

In the next sentence the semi-colon highlights the irony in being told that
one may use
something that is not in evidence:

We were told that people may use the paper towels; we saw none

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Mar 30, 2008, 11:38:52 PM3/30/08

"Dennis" <dg...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

i know you need a recording device, dennis. :) and some of those
converters
come with a dvd recorder (like a tivo, i think). not any you can use the
coups
on, i don't think.

i'm trying to determine whether to get that converter box or just get a new
tv.
i need to be able to switch recording from one station to another at
different
times while i'm not home. i can do that now with my tv and my vcr. just
set
times and stations and go. i should be able to do it with my dvd
player/recorder,
as well, but i've never done it since i have a perfectly good vcr and tapes.

so, what you're saying is that my vcr/dvd recorder won't be able to switch
channels to record like i do now unless they're atsc? which they probably
aren't. are there converter boxes that will allow me to do that somehow?
can you send me to a digital-to-analog recording for dumbies site?

Logan Shaw

Mar 31, 2008, 10:02:02 PM3/31/08
AllEmailDeletedImmediately wrote:
> so, what you're saying is that my vcr/dvd recorder won't be able to switch
> channels to record like i do now unless they're atsc? which they probably
> aren't.

Right, if you want to record an ATSC signal, you need an ATSC tuner. If
your DVD record or VCR has an ATSC tuner in it, then you're set. If not,
you need an external tuner, also known as a "converter box".

> are there converter boxes that will allow me to do that somehow?

As I understand it, the converter boxes eligible for the coupon program
are all required to have remote controls. Which means that if your VCR
or DVD recorder is capable of controlling an external device via infrared,
i.e. mimicking the remote control, it could do an unattended channel change
for you (provided it can send the right sort of remote control code). I
believe some VCRs and maybe some DVD recorders have actually been made
with this feature since it's the same capability you'd need in order to
control a cable converter box. I don't think it's very common, though.

- Logan

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Apr 1, 2008, 3:09:19 PM4/1/08

"Logan Shaw" <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote in message

well, crap. i really need to sit dh down and have him talk to me while i
write it down.
he's a broadcast engineer and should know or should know someone who knows.
but they're so shorthanded that he's always working [overtime whore that he
is :)]. i just don't want to get those boxes and then find out i should
have put the money toward a dvd recorder instead.