shortchanged

b...@coolgroups.com

Nov 25, 2007, 11:11:57 PM11/25/07
I have been counting my change recently when paying with cash, and I

noticed it is often less than what it should be. What are the best

strategies for not getting shortchanged? (i.e. exact change...
always

credit card)

Ron Peterson

Nov 26, 2007, 12:27:13 AM11/26/07

I have a separate coin purse which opens with a squeeze, so I try to
minimize the number of coins I get as change.

For instance, if i have a bill of 7.97, I will give the clerk 10.02
and get 2.05 change back.

I try not to use a credit or debit card for small transactions in
order to simplify my reconciling those accounts.

--
Ron

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Nov 26, 2007, 12:42:12 AM11/26/07

<b...@coolgroups.com> wrote in message

count your change before you leave the register and bring it to the
cashier's attention.

Jeff

Nov 26, 2007, 1:11:44 AM11/26/07
b...@coolgroups.com wrote:

That's odd, I rarely see anyone off. Most cash registers these days
tell the cashier exactly what to return.

Usually I give the cashier some change to minimize what needs to be
returned, at least to cut out the pennies and nickels. Then you can look
at what is returned and know at a glance if the change is correct.

About the only time I see incorrect change is at a restaurant and
invariably the waitress is rounding in my favor to save herself time.
They must realize they'll probably get the change anyways... It's
hardly worth checking change, on the other hand, it's often worth
checking what you are being billed for, those mistakes are far more
often and much larger.

Jeff

Binyamin Dissen

Nov 26, 2007, 3:15:58 AM11/26/07
On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 20:11:57 -0800 (PST) b...@coolgroups.com wrote:

:>I have been counting my change recently when paying with cash, and I

Count your change before leaving the counter.

On occasion I have received extra change.

One time that I sort of regret mentioning it was when I gave 100.05 for a
84.03 (or something like that) purchase and the cashier rang it up as 105.00.
I told her how to correct it, but it took ten minutes and a manager to do it
right.

--
Binyamin Dissen <bdi...@dissensoftware.com>
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Al Bundy

Nov 26, 2007, 2:18:25 PM11/26/07

First, always know what the amount should be as sometimes you are
being over charged. When you know the bill, you can figure in your
head what the change must be. If the paper change is right and the
coins seem close, forget about it. Most of the errors are not
malicious. You just need to be on guard that you don't take a $5
instead of a $10 or something.

Mark Anderson

Nov 26, 2007, 2:37:35 PM11/26/07
In article r...@shell.core.com says...

> I have a separate coin purse which opens with a squeeze, so I try to
> minimize the number of coins I get as change.

Coin purses are for women. Do you wear high heels too?

> For instance, if i have a bill of 7.97, I will give the clerk 10.02
> and get 2.05 change back.

So you're one of those people, people who make every transaction as
complicated as closing a real estate deal, that I continuously get stuck
behind in the checkout line. Just give the clerk a ten, deal with the 3
pennies, and leave the coin purse at home!

Shawn Hirn

Nov 26, 2007, 7:00:44 PM11/26/07
In article
<30a2d001-32a1-4cf6...@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
b...@coolgroups.com wrote:

I guess I must be lucky (or shop at better merchants) than you because I
rarely have that problem, and I do count my change. Be that as it
may,the best way to prevent miscounted change is certainly to pay with
plastic.

Logan Shaw

Nov 26, 2007, 9:25:07 PM11/26/07
Ron Peterson wrote:
> On Nov 25, 10:11 pm, b...@coolgroups.com wrote:
>> I have been counting my change recently when paying with cash, and I
>> noticed it is often less than what it should be. What are the best
>> strategies for not getting shortchanged? (i.e. exact change...
>> always

> I have a separate coin purse which opens with a squeeze, so I try to
> minimize the number of coins I get as change.
>
> For instance, if i have a bill of 7.97, I will give the clerk 10.02
> and get 2.05 change back.

Funny, when I do stuff like that, what I usually get back is a blank stare.

Personally, my theory is just to count the change that I get back. It's
not hard. It's certainly not any harder than paying with exact change.
In fact, the cash register usually tells them how much change to give you
back, and usually the problem is that they don't count it out right. So
you already can look at the screen and see the total amount of you're
supposed to get back (assuming they entered everything correctly).

Of course, there is also the matter of being charged the wrong amount
in the first place (items rung up wrong, rung up twice, etc.). That's
often harder to track since you often several items and there's more
information to keep track of.

- Logan