What to Do With Newspaper?

BeaF...@msn.com

Jun 4, 2008, 5:25:26 PM6/4/08
The local fishwrap has decided to delivery the paper to me for
thirteen weeks, FREE! I don't read it as it is also online. The
coupons value is questionable. I don't have that much fish to wrap. My
question is; is there anything I can do with all this paper? Can I
burn it in the fireplace this winter? Is there any value I can get out
of this stuff?

Al Bundy

Jun 4, 2008, 5:45:21 PM6/4/08

More of a pain than it's worth for a lousy 65 newspapers. You have to
go pick it off your lawn or drive 65 times. Presumably, you are not
providing a tip so you are not a valued customer. The paper rep will
bug you for continued delivery at the end of the 13 weeks. They may
forget to quit delivery and then you have to deal with that.
You have already wasted more time on it then it's worth.

George Grapman

Jun 4, 2008, 5:45:38 PM6/4/08

Did they just start dropping it off or did you request it? If it is
the latter you should read the small type as you may have given them
permission to bill you after the 13 weeks.

For years I have had the SF Chronicle and the NY Times delivered. The
Chron seems unable to deliver a dry paper. On many days I got a soggy SF
paper next to a dry NY Times. I have a home office but recently canceled
the Chron except for Sunday (the coupons more than cover the cost).I go
through their website quickly and the next time the world ends I will
drive to the nearest vending box.

I keep the Times because it is worth the price, I like having
something to read when riding public transit or going out to lunch and
there are stories in the print edition that are shorter or do not appear
on the web site.

I keep the times because I grew up with

BeaF...@msn.com

Jun 4, 2008, 6:04:58 PM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 2:45 pm, George Grapman <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote:

No, they did it to the entire neighborhood. I guess I'll stop it soon,
I just thought there was some cool frugal thing to do with all these
dead trees.

Jun 4, 2008, 6:15:59 PM6/4/08

<BeaF...@msn.com> wrote in message

Just call them up and demand that they stop delivering it.

nr

Jun 4, 2008, 6:48:03 PM6/4/08
On Jun 4, 5:25 pm, BeaFor...@msn.com wrote:

If they won't stop delivery, recycle them, hopefully with your
neighbors.

Message has been deleted

Anthony Matonak

Jun 4, 2008, 10:50:49 PM6/4/08
BeaF...@msn.com wrote:
> My question is; is there anything I can do with all this paper? Can I
> burn it in the fireplace this winter? Is there any value I can get out
> of this stuff?

I would not recommend burning it in your fireplace. Newspaper doesn't
burn very well and the high clay content makes for large amounts of ash.
They might burn better if soaked in wax or oil first (not gasoline).

A google search for 'uses of old newspapers' got me these...

http://www.papercrete.com/
http://www.livinginpaper.com/
http://www.northcoast.com/~tms/papercrete.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papier-m%C3%A2ch%C3%A9
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic-Gardening/2007-05-01/Use-Newspaper-for-Mulch.aspx
http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Old-Newspapers-in-a-Variety-of-Ways
http://www.jimsgraphix.com/recycle/recycle1.htm

Anthony

Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply

Jun 4, 2008, 11:41:44 PM6/4/08
BeaF...@msn.com wrote:
> The local fishwrap has decided to delivery the paper to me for
> thirteen weeks, FREE! I don't read it as it is also online. The

Call the newspaper office and tell them that you don't want the
newspaper even if it is free and to please stop delivering it. Keep
complaining every morning until it stops. Probably will only take a day
or two.

The number for circulation is probably on page 2 near the bottom of the
page.

Casual observer

Jun 5, 2008, 8:36:00 AM6/5/08

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" <sam...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote in
message news:48476078$0$17236$742e...@news.sonic.net...

Our local rag started throwing a POS "Community Newspaper" on everyone's
driveway - they started blowing around and created a real mess - repeated
requests to the newspaper to stop did nothing - a call to the City attorney
informed me that they could do nothing, either, as it was perceived as a 1st
Amendment issue.

George

Jun 5, 2008, 10:07:38 AM6/5/08

I am missing the point about why you even accepted the offer. All you
did is create more waste and additional work for yourself. And you may
have even agreed to subscribe and likely have numerous future
solicitations from the paper.

George

Jun 5, 2008, 10:11:36 AM6/5/08
Our local paper had/has various free papers and they would toss them
somewhere in the front of the house. I got tired of picking them up and
called and told them I would have them cited for littering if it
continued. That stopped the delivery cold.

George Grapman

Jun 5, 2008, 10:13:41 AM6/5/08
On a related note several years ago New York began a crackdown on
street vendors mainly limiting their locations and the number per block.
Courts ruled that anyone selling books had to be exempted. I would agree
with the late Justice William Douglas who always said he preferred to
err on the side of the First Amendment.
Speaking of frugal, street food in NYC is still plentiful, good and
cheap.

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jun 5, 2008, 10:29:25 AM6/5/08

One doesn't have to accept any offer to get this crap.

Our objections--besides the waste--is that in the winter they can get
buried by snow and then jam the snowblower, and even in summer will
announce that you are not home.

My spouse found that calling the newspaper didn't always work, but
complaining to the major advertisers in the paper often did.

They have just started a new one, which seems to be a collection of
flyers that used to come by mail. At least with mail, you could have it
held while you were away.

--
Evelyn C. Leeper
A great many people think they are thinking when they are

Al Bundy

Jun 5, 2008, 10:37:02 AM6/5/08
On Jun 4, 5:25 pm, BeaFor...@msn.com wrote:

You could preserve them for 50 years and offer them for sale for 25¢
each. Put them in your estate plan.
Run them through the shredder and use them for bedding your rabbits.
Clean the windows with them.
Practice origami.
Tie them all together and use for crossbow practice.
Use for TP in an emergency (don't flush).

sarge137

Jun 5, 2008, 11:10:27 AM6/5/08

Must be looking to raise their advertising rates by tweaking their
circulation numbers. Every copy that goes out the printing plant door
counts, whether it's paid for or not.

George Grapman

Jun 5, 2008, 11:33:58 AM6/5/08
True but the Audit Bureau of Circulation differentiates between paid
circulation and free. The public reports that they issue only list paid
circulation. The more detailed reports show paid,unpaid,copies to
advertisers and returned from vendors.

Vandy Terre

Jun 5, 2008, 2:35:27 PM6/5/08

YMMV, but this has been my experience.

Newspapers go nicely through a paper shredder along with the junk mail.
Shredded paper can be used as a substitute for kitty litter, bed liner for pets
(cats/ dogs/ rabbits/ chickens/ hamsters/ snakes/ mice/ rats), or filler in
compost. Beware: some animals like chickens find shredded paper tasty. No real
harm if the critter eats the paper as long as ample food and water are also
available.

Shredded paper in bags alone or mixed with broken pinecones/ wood chips/ bark/
candle ends/ wax type crayons makes a convenient starter for wood stoves or
fireplaces.

Full sheets of newspaper several layers thick may be used in the garden to
reduce weed growth around vegetables or ornamental plants.

A few layers of newspaper, compare to big city Sunday edition, in an old pillow
case makes an insulated seat for use on the ground, on bleachers or at the
beach.

It is a fire hazard to use untreated paper to improve insulation of the home.
With that in mind, in times of desperate quick fix, newspaper makes cheap, short
term insulation. Wadded in the walls or wadded inside a large set of sweats
with you inside the sweats, newspaper can insulate during an emergency.

I have run dry of ideas or memories for the moment. But last week's coupon rag
is currently serving use as a coaster under my iced drink.

TKM

Jun 5, 2008, 6:22:48 PM6/5/08

<BeaF...@msn.com> wrote in message

Well, if you have a wood-burning fireplace or stove, I remember a DIY
article that suggested wrapping the newspaper tightly in a roll, securing it
with string and then soaking it with water. Then it had to be dried for
some days (weeks maybe?) which then converted the whole mess into a
fireplace log.

I didn't try it

Our daily papers are nicely recycled by the city folks every week and I'm
grateful for that.

TKM

Evelyn C. Leeper

Jun 5, 2008, 6:44:18 PM6/5/08
TKM wrote:

> Well, if you have a wood-burning fireplace or stove, I remember a DIY
> article that suggested wrapping the newspaper tightly in a roll, securing it
> with string and then soaking it with water. Then it had to be dried for
> some days (weeks maybe?) which then converted the whole mess into a
> fireplace log.

Yeah, I remember my parents having a doohickey that would let you do
that. The trick is that it has to be rolled very tightly. (And don't
include the shiny supplements--can you say "toxic fumes"?!)

Gary Heston

Jun 6, 2008, 12:01:30 AM6/6/08
In article <XpednSEmOZmEadrV...@comcast.com>,
George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>Casual observer wrote:
[ ... ]

>> Our local rag started throwing a POS "Community Newspaper" on everyone's
>> driveway - they started blowing around and created a real mess - repeated
>> requests to the newspaper to stop did nothing - a call to the City attorney
>> informed me that they could do nothing, either, as it was perceived as a 1st
>> Amendment issue.

>Our local paper had/has various free papers and they would toss them
>somewhere in the front of the house. I got tired of picking them up and
>called and told them I would have them cited for littering if it
>continued. That stopped the delivery cold.

The local court here threw out littering charges against the local paper
over the free sales paper they're scattering over our yards.

I just leave them out in the yard until I drag the trash can out, then toss
them all into it.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/
"a member or members of Osama bin Ladens' Al Qaeda network, posing as

Anthony Matonak

Jun 6, 2008, 1:27:07 AM6/6/08
Vandy Terre wrote:

> It is a fire hazard to use untreated paper to improve insulation of the home.
> With that in mind, in times of desperate quick fix, newspaper makes cheap, short
> term insulation. Wadded in the walls or wadded inside a large set of sweats
> with you inside the sweats, newspaper can insulate during an emergency.

It's simple and inexpensive to treat newspaper with a borax solution.
This will effectively eliminate the fire problem.

Anthony

leno...@yahoo.com

Jun 6, 2008, 3:18:46 PM6/6/08
Here's one minor thing you can do that many don't know about. If you
have a musty (not moldy) book, put in a sheet of newspaper for every
half-inch of thickness, plus one for each cover if it's a hardcover,
surround it with crumpled newspaper in a cardboard box and let it sit
for two days or so. Works quite well.

Here 's more about that particular problem:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.collecting.books/browse_thread/thread/931d6518df9a2439/0ef43a3090b29426?lnk=st&q=rec.collecting.books+FAQ#0ef43a3090b29426

(Look under #15.)

Lenona.

Nicik Name

Jun 7, 2008, 12:42:40 AM6/7/08

"Samantha Hill - remove TRASH to reply" <sam...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote in
message news:48476078$0$17236$742e...@news.sonic.net...
> BeaF...@msn.com wrote:
>> The local fishwrap has decided to delivery the paper to me for
>> thirteen weeks, FREE! I don't read it as it is also online. The
>
> Call the newspaper office
Walk into the newspaper office and bang your fist on there desk and tell
them to knock it off.
Works for me.

Vandy Terre

Jun 7, 2008, 8:46:15 PM6/7/08

Thank you for the information. Is this using the same borax as used to kill
cockroaches?

PaPaPeng

Jun 7, 2008, 10:04:53 PM6/7/08

Hey frugal Al. Why don't you tell them you cut them up into little
panels for use as toilet paper.