Another telemarketer sent me a check

William Souden

Jul 29, 2008, 11:48:22 PM7/29/08

The main bod of this message is a repost but there is one difference
in the latest case. Because they called me on my cell I demanded $200

This works best if they are in your state. Act interested but tell them
that you need some contact information and their web site. After they
divulge that do the following:

Using the web site of the Secretary of State or the County Clerk
determine the location of the business. The former will list an agent
for service,that latter an owner.If that does not work go to
register.com. You might find the domain owner.

Call the company and tell them you plan to sue them in Small Claims
Court for $500 for violating the Do Not Call law. Tell them if they
remit $100 in five business days you will not pursue the matter but if
it is not forthcoming you will file and if they ask to settle out of
court you will insist on $250 plus fees and the full $500 plus cost if
the case is heard.

I have done this 12 times in the last two years. 10 agreed to $100 the
rest paid up after papers were served.

A few tips:

Remind them that you can sue in your home county and they will have to
travel to that court or face a default judgment.

If the person is not the owner tell them that if the owner does not
contact you within one business day you will sue and let them know it
was because_____did not pass on the message.

They sometimes claim your are blackmailing them. Tell them to talk to
their attorney who will inform them that the court rules actually
require you to attempt to settle the matter before filing. The last time
this happened the company sheepishly called back 5 minutes later to get
my address and asked if I would sign a document absolving them of
further responsibility.

Have as much information about the firm as you can obtain before
calling. Agent for service is especially useful because that person,by
law, must accept all legal papers. If you have that simply have the
papers sent via registered mail.

If you want to serve them at their office have the court date set for
more than 30 days ahead as at that point any employee can be served. If
you do that pay the extra fee for the sheriffs department to serve
papers. People with badges get better access to offices and you will get
the fees back anyway.

Do not accept "We will put you on our internal do not call list" as an
excuse. They had a legal obligation to get the federal list before they
called.If they claim you requested information before they called ask
for some documentation.

Remember, they broke the law by calling you. Remind them that they have
no valid defense. Let them know you will bring either your caller ID box
or answering machine to court as proof.

If they hired an outside firm,even one in another country they still
bear the burden. Do not accept "we will contact our contractor". Tell
them they can seek reimbursement from the contractor.A "vacation" firm
tried this. I did not bite and they sent $100, A month later they called
again. I demanded double and the owner simply said"damn, you got us" and
paid up.

If they called your cell they violated two laws. Double the price on
everything.

Remember, if just 5 percent of us did this it would do serious damage to
the telemarketing industry. Imagine a firm making 1,000 calls a day.If
just 50 people demand $100 they will be out $5,000 a day plus the time
and trouble of talking to us and processing payments.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

The Real Bev

Jul 30, 2008, 12:22:26 PM7/30/08
Shawn Hirn wrote:

> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> The main bod of this message is a repost but there is one difference
>> in the latest case. Because they called me on my cell I demanded $200
>>

>> This works best if they are in your state.
>

> Anything involving telemarketers that involves me picking up the phone
> is a huge waste of my time. My time is valuable. I simply solve the
> problem with telemarketers by not picking up my phone unless the
> caller-id display indicates the call is from someone I know. Problem
> solved.

How much does CID cost per month?

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Jul 30, 2008, 12:59:01 PM7/30/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
>> William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
>>
>>> The main bod of this message is a repost but there is one
>>> difference in the latest case. Because they called me on my cell I
>>> demanded $200
>>>
>>> This works best if they are in your state.
>>
>> Anything involving telemarketers that involves me picking up the phone
>> is a huge waste of my time. My time is valuable. I simply solve the
>> problem with telemarketers by not picking up my phone unless the
>> caller-id display indicates the call is from someone I know. Problem
>> solved.
>
> How much does CID cost per month?

Varies from company to company. I have seen rates from $7 a month to
as much as $3.50, lower if combined with other features.
I have an unlimited pan that includes caller ID ,three way and
several other features,
Message has been deleted

George Grapman

Jul 30, 2008, 2:12:12 PM7/30/08
Abe wrote:
>>> How much does CID cost per month?
>>>
>> Varies from company to company. I have seen rates from $7 a month to
>> as much as $3.50, lower if combined with other features.
> Did you mean from $3.50 a month to as much as $7?
Yes.

The Real Bev

Jul 30, 2008, 7:35:34 PM7/30/08
George Grapman wrote:

I think I'll save the money and just yell obscenities at the caller.
More therapeutic and a lot cheaper.

I just got a text message on my cell phone from some "benefits" company
wanting me to buy foreign gold. I tracked down the company and sent
them an email demanding $200 for their transgression. Bastards. I was
reluctant to put my cell on the list for fear that assholes would use it
as a DO call list.

I turned them in anyway, even if the phone wasn't previously listed (it
is now). Shitheads. If the company doesn't actually support this and
it was the wild-ass project of one guy, I hope they kill him.

--
Cheers, Bev
"It's no piece of cake, but it sure beats listening to Ted

Shawn Hirn

Jul 30, 2008, 9:14:26 PM7/30/08
In article <1z0kk.1062$3l5...@newsfe06.iad>,

The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shawn Hirn wrote:
>
> > William Souden <sou...@nospam.com> wrote:
> >
> >> The main bod of this message is a repost but there is one difference
> >> in the latest case. Because they called me on my cell I demanded $200
> >>
> >> This works best if they are in your state.
> >
> > Anything involving telemarketers that involves me picking up the phone
> > is a huge waste of my time. My time is valuable. I simply solve the
> > problem with telemarketers by not picking up my phone unless the
> > caller-id display indicates the call is from someone I know. Problem
> > solved.
>
> How much does CID cost per month?

I have VoIP serve. CID is part of the service package I receive. I pay
around $20 a month for my phone service through Vonage.