Can Soup Kitchens Spoil People?

BrotherSandMonkey

Jan 3, 2008, 3:26:02 PM1/3/08
There is obviously a need for soup kitchens to exist in the light of
homeless, unemployed and disabled people. Recently one soup kitchen
I'll call Pals of the Street sent forth three rules: no seconds on
meals served, 20 minute time limit to consume your meal and only 4
donated items each may be taken per visit (4 books, 4 clothes items, 4
toys, et al; obviously people would greedily take as much as they can;
there would be fight outbreaks if people loitered, etc.). A
hypothetical question: can people be spoiled by soup
kitchens?

Rod Speed

Jan 3, 2008, 3:40:05 PM1/3/08
BrotherSandMonkey <bli...@volcanomail.com> wrote

> There is obviously a need for soup kitchens to exist in
> the light of homeless, unemployed and disabled people.

Nope, its just one way of dealing with those.

> Recently one soup kitchen I'll call Pals of the Street sent forth
> three rules: no seconds on meals served, 20 minute time limit
> to consume your meal and only 4 donated items each may be
> taken per visit (4 books, 4 clothes items, 4 toys, et al; obviously
> people would greedily take as much as they can; there would
> be fight outbreaks if people loitered, etc.).

Or some control freak is into making rules.

> A hypothetical question: can people be spoiled by soup kitchens?

Corse any handouts can spoil some people.

Jan 3, 2008, 4:23:31 PM1/3/08
Rod Speed wrote:

>> Recently one soup kitchen I'll call Pals of the Street sent forth
>> three rules: no seconds on meals served, 20 minute time limit
>> to consume your meal and only 4 donated items each may be
>> taken per visit (4 books, 4 clothes items, 4 toys, et al; obviously
>> people would greedily take as much as they can; there would
>> be fight outbreaks if people loitered, etc.).
>
> Or some control freak is into making rules.

Nah, maybe they have people grabbing hoardes of freebies and turning
around and selling them.

--
Every job is a self-portrait of the person who does it. Autograph your
work with excellence.

Rod Speed

Jan 3, 2008, 5:03:36 PM1/3/08
Melinda Meahan <mme...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Recently one soup kitchen I'll call Pals of the Street sent forth
>>> three rules: no seconds on meals served, 20 minute time limit
>>> to consume your meal and only 4 donated items each may be
>>> taken per visit (4 books, 4 clothes items, 4 toys, et al; obviously
>>> people would greedily take as much as they can; there would
>>> be fight outbreaks if people loitered, etc.).

>> Or some control freak is into making rules.

> Nah, maybe they have people grabbing hoardes of freebies and turning around and selling them.

Doesnt explain the 20 minute time limit.

timeOday

Jan 3, 2008, 10:21:11 AM1/3/08

I would imagine none of this is to punish or discipline the welfare
recipients, but rather to distribute it more equitably so there's enough
to go around. Even seating is a limited resource; increase the average
stay by 50% and you need a 50% bigger shelter.

Rod Speed

Jan 3, 2008, 5:32:10 PM1/3/08
timeOday <timeOda...@theknack.net> wrote

> Rod Speed wrote
>> Melinda Meahan <mme...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote
>>> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Nah, maybe they have people grabbing hoardes
>>> of freebies and turning around and selling them.

>> Doesnt explain the 20 minute time limit.

> I would imagine none of this is to punish or discipline the welfare recipients,
> but rather to distribute it more equitably so there's enough to go around.

Or some control freak into making rules.

> Even seating is a limited resource; increase the average
> stay by 50% and you need a 50% bigger shelter.

Odd that every other soup kitchen doesnt see the need for those rules.

Jan 3, 2008, 5:41:48 PM1/3/08
Rod Speed wrote:

>> Even seating is a limited resource; increase the average
>> stay by 50% and you need a 50% bigger shelter.
>
> Odd that every other soup kitchen doesnt see the need for those rules.

Maybe they have means to serve more people than they are legally allowed
to seat at one time and that is the reason for the rule? You never know.

Seerialmom

Jan 3, 2008, 5:51:35 PM1/3/08

Yeah...I'm sure there's nothing people like better than eating meals
with people who haven't bathed in days (or months) or talk to people
who aren't there. There is a dependency factor on anything that's
given freely with nothing expected in return and sure, there'll be
people who abuse it. As for being "spoiled"?? Only if they were
raised like Starvin' Marvin the Ethrioprian.

Rod Speed

Jan 3, 2008, 6:11:11 PM1/3/08
Melinda Meahan <mme...@TRASHsonic.net> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> Even seating is a limited resource; increase the average
>>> stay by 50% and you need a 50% bigger shelter.

>> Odd that every other soup kitchen doesnt see the need for those rules.

> Maybe they have means to serve more people than they are legally
> allowed to seat at one time and that is the reason for the rule?

Much more likely to just be some control freak at work.

> You never know.

Corse we know that your line isnt possible.

Shawn Hirn

Jan 3, 2008, 9:34:23 PM1/3/08
In article
<0ea89f99-553b-4c3e...@i72g2000hsd.googlegroups.com>,
BrotherSandMonkey <bli...@volcanomail.com> wrote:

Visit a soup kitchen and you will have the answer to your question.

Jeff

Jan 4, 2008, 12:37:04 PM1/4/08
Homeless people have little need for carrying around extra books,
clothes, what have you. Carrying a bag of possessions is a sure cue that
you are homeless. Few want that stigma as it labels you a target.
Criminals and Cops both prey on the easiest targets.

The problem with the homeless is not food or clothes, and never has
been. Feeding the homeless is relatively easy compared to taking care of
their real need, which is a home.

Typically rules for the homeless are strict. I would have a hard time
characterizing the homeless as greedy. I'd say the opposite is more
likely as the have given up much not to live by rules and in society.

Jeff

val189

Jan 4, 2008, 7:36:13 PM1/4/08
On Jan 3, 3:26 pm, BrotherSandMonkey <blin...@volcanomail.com> wrote:

> hypothetical question: can people be spoiled by soup
> kitchens?

You sound like you're worried somebody might be gettin' sumthin' fer
nuthin'. It's not like they're serving Beef Wellington there.

Stormin Mormon

Mar 18, 2008, 11:04:06 PM3/18/08
As you have written three separate points, I did break up your post a bit.

I disagree. The answer to homeless, unemployed, and disabled people is not
soup kitchens. The answer is lower taxes, better economy, and some
education. Also to recognize that some folks in this free country choose not
to have a house. Soup kitchens just continue dependence.

Their establishment, their rules.

Spoiled? People get used to handouts, and stop fending for themselves. I
think soup kitchens make things worse.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus