RECALLS: Pirate's gold chocolate coins

ulti...@gmail.com

Oct 30, 2008, 4:17:34 AM10/30/08
http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/coins.asp

With Halloween fast approaching comes a warning to parents and kids
regarding Sherwood brand Pirate's Gold milk chocolate coins imported
from China.

The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is warning the public not to eat,
distribute or sell the candy.

It is sold across Canada by Costco and may also have been sold in bulk
packages or as individual pieces at various dollar and bulk stores.

The chocolate contains melamine which is the same chemical responsible
for killing several babies in China, and sickening thousands
more.<MORE INFO ON WEB PAGE>

Seerialmom

Oct 30, 2008, 7:47:05 AM10/30/08

Damn it Jim, is there nothing the Chinese won't put melamine in? I
wonder if all those years of eating off of Melamine plates in the 60's
did any damage? :p

Dennis

Oct 30, 2008, 3:32:44 PM10/30/08

Depends -- when you were done with the food, did you chew on the plate
for a while? ;-)
Dennis (evil)

Seerialmom

Oct 30, 2008, 9:37:27 PM10/30/08

I don't think so but I do recall those rolls of lead solder my dad had
on the work bench. It was neat because it was easy to bite pieces off
of and chew on. Another fun and dangerous thing we did as kids was
play with "quicksilver" aka mercury when a thermometer broke.
Probably ate dinner with unwashed hands right afterwards, too...on
those Melamine plates :-D

hchi...@hotmail.com

Oct 31, 2008, 11:10:34 AM10/31/08

Melamine? You had melamine? You lucky sot. All we had was broken
scraps of carnival glass from Mexico. We used to read by the
radioactivity given off by them at night. Still, there is nothing
like a tasty asbestos, pork fat, and moldy bread sandwich, eaten off a
scrap of carnival glass.

Dennis

Oct 31, 2008, 2:01:38 PM10/31/08

You had real pork fat? Well La-Di-Da, I think I'll have a spot of tea
and biscuits with the queen after the polo match.

We only dreamed of real pork fat as we choked down our used motor
oil-soaked styrofoam sandwiches. And we were glad to have them!

Dennis (evil)
--
I'm a hands-on, footloose, knee-jerk head case. -George Carlin

Al Bundy

Oct 31, 2008, 4:52:57 PM10/31/08

It contains the same chemical, but not the same toxic dose of the
chemical. This chemical is present in trace amounts in all kinds of
products that are eaten. US companies have also been blamed for
spiking things like flour with it to boost the measured protein
content. Only recently did the FDA set up a tolerable trace level. The
tolerance level for infants and children is zero content I believe
until more research is completed. Canada may be similar. So any trace
of the element, no matter how tiny, would cause a recall as it did in
this case.
The bottom line is not to eat anything that you know comes from China
and if you don't know, don't eat it unless starving.

BeaForoni

Oct 31, 2008, 5:17:04 PM10/31/08
On Oct 30, 1:17 am, ultim...@gmail.com wrote:

Arrgh! Dem dablooms be givin' me da shits!

Seerialmom

Oct 31, 2008, 5:28:17 PM10/31/08
On Oct 31, 8:10 am, hchick...@hotmail.com wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 18:37:27 -0700 (PDT), Seerialmom

Do you suppose that carnival glass was "leaded"? But yes, in the 60's
"Melamine" aka "MelMac" plates were all the rage. Moms loved them
because the kids couldn't break them.

Al Bundy

Oct 31, 2008, 7:46:07 PM10/31/08

The plates and utensils are supposed to be safe because the resin has
set. This is not the powdered form they are finding as additives that
causes kidney stones. I have a few around. I'm not throwing them out.
And don't even try them in the microwave. They will burn. The gases
might not be so safe.