Re: Cell phone... or walkie talkie?

Message has been deleted

Rod Speed

Sep 17, 2007, 2:05:54 PM9/17/07
LD <ldanc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> In true frugalista fashion, we are looking for a machine that would keep
> the 4 of us (two parents and two children) hooked up, for the smallest
> price. This is purely for security reasons, and in case of emergency
> only. The most we are ever apart is 30 km (approx. 20 miles).

> My first choice would be walkie-talkies;

The distance is too much for that.

> they would be much cheaper than cell phones

Not necessarily if you only call using the cellphone in real emergencys.

Corse when you have a convenient way of communicating,
you're likely to use it for trivia as well as for real emergencys too.

> (there's the initial investment when purchasing the thing, but that's it.
> No monthly fees, no additional gadgets that we don't need or want,
> etc. etc.). However, I don't know what their communication range
> is in a typical north-American city (we live in Ottawa, Ontario).

Wont work at the distances you need.

> If walkie-talkies are not a feasable option, then we
> would have to look into a cheap cell phone service.

Yep.

> Any recommendations?

> Thank you for any advice and assistance you can provide.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Sep 17, 2007, 4:04:39 PM9/17/07

"LD" <ldanc...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> In true frugalista fashion, we are looking for a machine that would
> keep the 4 of us (two parents and two children) hooked up, for the
> smallest price. This is purely for security reasons, and in case of
> emergency only. The most we are ever apart is 30 km (approx. 20
> miles).
>
> My first choice would be walkie-talkies; they would be much cheaper
> than cell phones (there's the initial investment when purchasing the

> thing, but that's it. No monthly fees, no additional gadgets that we
> don't need or want, etc. etc.). However, I don't know what their
> communication range is in a typical north-American city (we live in
> Ottawa, Ontario).
>
> If walkie-talkies are not a feasable option, then we would have to
> look into a cheap cell phone service. Any recommendations?

> Thank you for any advice and assistance you can provide.
>
> LD

technically, you will need an fcc license of some sort to operate
a walkie talkie of that range. dh knows what kind and it usually
says it on the pkg. but...how are they really gonna find you?

Parallax

Sep 17, 2007, 6:05:40 PM9/17/07
LD wrote:
> In true frugalista fashion, we are looking for a machine that would
> keep the 4 of us (two parents and two children) hooked up, for the
> smallest price. This is purely for security reasons, and in case of
> emergency only. The most we are ever apart is 30 km (approx. 20
> miles).
>
> My first choice would be walkie-talkies; they would be much cheaper
> than cell phones (there's the initial investment when purchasing the
> thing, but that's it. No monthly fees, no additional gadgets that we
> don't need or want, etc. etc.). However, I don't know what their
> communication range is in a typical north-American city (we live in
> Ottawa, Ontario).
>
> If walkie-talkies are not a feasable option, then we would have to
> look into a cheap cell phone service. Any recommendations?
>
> Thank you for any advice and assistance you can provide.
>
> LD

The contractor I bought my house from gave all his workers the Nextel
walkie-talkies with the phone feature disabled since originally his
employees kept using the phones to call their relatives in Mexico.

I don't know if there's any sort of discount for that kind of
arrangement. You could ask the cell companies.

--

Replace '???????' with 'hotmail' to e-mail me.

Timothy J. Lee

Sep 17, 2007, 6:44:51 PM9/17/07
In article <1190050180....@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,

LD <ldanc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>If walkie-talkies are not a feasable option, then we would have to
>look into a cheap cell phone service. Any recommendations?

Some of the prepaid cell phone plans are inexpensive (and may offer
discounted older model phones):

http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.htm

Timothy J. Lee

SMS

Sep 17, 2007, 7:25:50 PM9/17/07
LD wrote:

> If walkie-talkies are not a feasable option, then we would have to
> look into a cheap cell phone service. Any recommendations?
>

> Thank you for any advice and assistance you can provide.

I don't think that Canada has the wide selection of ultra-cheap prepaid
providers that we have in the U.S.. Here you could do what you want for
about US$10/month (for four phones, not each) with a MVNO prepaid
carrier (not including the initial cost of the phones). In Canada, with
Virgin, you'd be paying a minimum of CDN$33.33/month (for four phones,
not each), not including the initial cost of the phones.

Shawn Hirn

Sep 17, 2007, 9:11:43 PM9/17/07

> In true frugalista fashion, we are looking for a machine that would
> keep the 4 of us (two parents and two children) hooked up, for the
> smallest price. This is purely for security reasons, and in case of
> emergency only. The most we are ever apart is 30 km (approx. 20
> miles).
>
> My first choice would be walkie-talkies; they would be much cheaper
> than cell phones (there's the initial investment when purchasing the
> thing, but that's it. No monthly fees, no additional gadgets that we
> don't need or want, etc. etc.). However, I don't know what their
> communication range is in a typical north-American city (we live in
> Ottawa, Ontario).
>

> If walkie-talkies are not a feasable option, then we would have to
> look into a cheap cell phone service. Any recommendations?
>
> Thank you for any advice and assistance you can provide.
>

> LD

Walkie talkies are only good for a mile or two. I suggest you shop
around for a family cell phone plan.

Siskuwihane

Sep 18, 2007, 6:58:20 AM9/18/07
On Sep 17, 9:11 pm, Shawn Hirn <s...@comcast.net> wrote:
> In article <1190050180.977649.95...@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
> around for a family cell phone plan.- Hide quoted text -

Our Midland's reach into the next town (17miles) easily. Many GMRS/FRS
radios have a 26 mile range, depending on terrain of course, but much
more than a mile or two.

C. Massey

Sep 18, 2007, 9:59:54 AM9/18/07

"Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> LD <ldanc...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> In true frugalista fashion, we are looking for a machine that would keep
>> the 4 of us (two parents and two children) hooked up, for the smallest
>> price. This is purely for security reasons, and in case of emergency
>> only. The most we are ever apart is 30 km (approx. 20 miles).
>
>> My first choice would be walkie-talkies;
>
> The distance is too much for that.

Wrong as usual.

C. Massey

Sep 18, 2007, 9:59:15 AM9/18/07

"Siskuwihane" <Sisku...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Never seen the GMRS/FRS with that type of distance, but they could always
get into ham radio. A 2 meter handheld would have quite a range on it as
long as there is a repeater locally.

Getting into ham radio would allow you the possibilities of talking world
wide with people.

Don't know anything about the license in Canada though.

Rick

Sep 18, 2007, 11:13:21 AM9/18/07

You know, we are still talking about 2 kids being able to contact 2
parents here "in case of emergency only"...

The practial problem I see here is with any of the non cell phone
solutions is the things are going to have to be turned on all the time.
And unless you actually want to get into monitoring all the band traffic
on any of these options, that's gonna get really tired, real fast. And
with CB or GMRS/FRS we're still talking line of site transmission issues
- do you want to rely on that option for emergency contact with your
kids?

Rick

SMS

Sep 18, 2007, 11:54:04 AM9/18/07
Rick wrote:

> The practial problem I see here is with any of the non cell phone
> solutions is the things are going to have to be turned on all the time.
> And unless you actually want to get into monitoring all the band traffic
> on any of these options, that's gonna get really tired, real fast. And
> with CB or GMRS/FRS we're still talking line of site transmission issues
> - do you want to rely on that option for emergency contact with your
> kids?

Pagers might work. Use pay phones, or ask someone to use their cell
phone in an emergency. I don't know about Canada, but in the U.S. I
occasionally am asked by strangers, including kids to use my phone and
if they're non-threatening it's fine with me.

However I don't think paging service is all that cheaper than Virgin
prepaid.

SMS

Sep 18, 2007, 12:33:30 PM9/18/07
LD wrote:

> Thank you for any advice and assistance you can provide.

83¢/month per phone is the cheapest you can do it for, but it requires
an initial cost of at least $400. Otherwise it'll be $2.08-$3.33/month
with a lower initial investment.

Option 1
--------
Get four U.S. T-Mobile prepaid phones and accounts in the U.S.. These
are available at most U.S. department stores, including Costco.

The recurring cost will be 83¢/month per phone. But to achieve this rate
you first have to buy four phones (will cost between $0 and $50 each),
_and_ you have to start off with $100 worth of airtime per phone so you
can achieve "Gold" status. Once you're "Gold" every additional airtime
purchase is good for one year. The minimum amount is $10. So you have to
buy a $10 card every year to keep the line active.

If you don't want to spend that initial $100 per phone, the $10 card
expires every 90 days, so the monthly cost goes from 83¢ to $3.33/month,
still not a bad deal. But you also have to remember to add money every
90 days. Not sure if T-Mobile has a way to do it automatically.

$3.33 at 69¢/minute is only four minutes of calling per phone, per
month, so maybe it's not worth the initial $100 cost of "Gold." However
text messaging is very inexpensive, so if you're frugal you can use that
instead of having a gab fest unless absolutely necessary.

The per minute cost is high because technically you're roaming
internationally. Both the calling phone and the called phone will be
charged 69¢ per minute (though text messages are only 10¢ to send and 5¢
to receive).

"http://www.t-mobile.com/International/RoamingOverview.aspx?tp=Inl_Tab_RoamWorldwide&tsp=Inl_Sub_RmgOverview"

Option 2
--------
Check out 7-11's Canadian Speak Out plan.

"http://www.7-eleven.com/products/docs/SpeakOut_Brochure_can.pdf"
"http://tinyurl.com/yyflew"

You have to go to a store to buy it.

A $25 airtime card is good for a year. Calls are 20¢/minute. They deduct
99¢ per month as a "911 Fee." That would leave $13/year for calls or 65
minutes.

These phones won't work in the U.S. but someone said that they got
SpeakOut Canada to send them some Cingular prepaid SIM cards that they
could stick in when going to the U.S..

SMS

Sep 18, 2007, 12:41:34 PM9/18/07

Actually I'm wrong here. 7-11 offers a Canadian version of their
Speak-Out service. It would cost a minimum of $25/year per phone. 20ข
per minute for local calls. 99ข/month service charge. You have to buy
$25 every year to keep it active which would leave $13.12 for airtime
after the $11.88 in service charges (99ข x 12). $13.12 would pay for 65
minutes of airtime. It's on the Rogers network.

"http://www.7-eleven.com/products/docs/SpeakOut_Brochure_can.pdf"
"http://tinyurl.com/yyflew"

Message has been deleted

Siskuwihane

Sep 18, 2007, 1:46:09 PM9/18/07
On Sep 18, 9:59 am, "C. Massey" <ch...@host.invalid> wrote:
> "Siskuwihane" <Siskuwih...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Don't know anything about the license in Canada though.- Hide quoted text -

This is the model I have, it has a claimed range of 26 miles and I
have used mine at 17 miles.

http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT850VP4-22-Channel-26-Mile-2-Way/dp/B000P0RPY4

SMS

Sep 18, 2007, 2:04:56 PM9/18/07
LD wrote:

<snip>

> So, bottom line is: we really need 4 phones.
>
> We will check out the 7-eleven phones, which seem to be the cheapest
> option. It's kind of funny, actually, that a convenience store would
> have their own mobile phone services! Who knows, McDonalds and Tim
> Horton may soon follow suit!

I have one phone on 7-11 SpeakOut in the U.S.. It's okay, but it's on
AT&T where the coverage is not nearly as good as on Verizon. Still, as
long as you don't venture outside the urban and suburban area, it's
sufficient.

Note that there is no way to manage the 7-11 account on-line or to buy
airtime on-line. You can do it from the phone, or go to a 7-11 to buy
airtime cards.

In the U.S., the best prepaid service by far (in terms of cost and
coverage) is from PagePlus ("http://www.pagepluscellular.com/") but it
doesn't work at all in Canada (I've tried in Alberta). I have them for
my kids, and they are pretty responsible about not using them unnecessarily.

Rod Speed

Sep 18, 2007, 2:13:25 PM9/18/07
C. Massey <ch...@host.invalid> wrote
> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> LD <ldanc...@hotmail.com> wrote

>>> In true frugalista fashion, we are looking for a machine that would keep the 4 of us (two parents and two children)
>>> hooked up, for the smallest price. This is purely for security reasons, and in case of emergency only. The most we
>>> are ever apart is 30 km (approx. 20 miles).

>>> My first choice would be walkie-talkies;

>> The distance is too much for that.

> Wrong as usual.

Easy to claim. Hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.

Anthony Matonak

Sep 18, 2007, 3:19:51 PM9/18/07
Siskuwihane wrote:
> This is the model I have, it has a claimed range of 26 miles and I
> have used mine at 17 miles.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT850VP4-22-Channel-26-Mile-2-Way/dp/B000P0RPY4

You were probably using them in open country with (more or less)
line of sight between the radios. Inside a typical city the range
would likely drop to less than 4 miles. This wouldn't be enough
for the original posters need for 20 mile range inside a city.

Anthony

larry

Sep 18, 2007, 5:05:50 PM9/18/07

The 22 channel sets are type accepted for FRS and GMRS, but
to use the "high" power channels, you need the $35 GMRS FCC
license. It's in the manual ;-)

Also, I didn't take the time to be sure GMRS is the right
service, but it's close. Also, I'm sure everyone follows
the rules, doesn't make sense why they type accepted the
same radio for a free and a license required service. 17
miles is a long way for 1/2 watt, even at line-of-sight.

-larry / dallas

C. Massey

Sep 19, 2007, 6:58:14 AM9/19/07

"Rick" <rick...@rcn.com> wrote in message news:46EFEB10...@rcn.com...

<snip>

> You know, we are still talking about 2 kids being able to contact 2
> parents here "in case of emergency only"...

<snip>

Yes sir I realize that. Are you saying that kids shouldn't have a ham
license? If I remember correctly, there is not a minimum age for a ham
license and it opens up a whole new world.

73's...

C. Massey

Sep 19, 2007, 7:00:48 AM9/19/07

"Siskuwihane" <Sisku...@gmail.com> wrote in message

<snip>

> This is the model I have, it has a claimed range of 26 miles and I
> have used mine at 17 miles.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Midland-GXT850VP4-22-Channel-26-Mile-2-Way/dp/B000P0RPY4

Cool... I will have to check these babies out. How was your reception at 17
miles? What was the terrain like?

Rod Speed

Sep 19, 2007, 4:34:20 PM9/19/07
C. Massey <ch...@host.invalid> wrote:
> "Rick" <rick...@rcn.com> wrote in message
> <snip>
>
>> You know, we are still talking about 2 kids being able to contact 2
>> parents here "in case of emergency only"...
>>
> <snip>
>

> Yes sir I realize that. Are you saying that kids shouldn't have a ham license?

Nope, he is saying that thats a hopeless approach for emergencys.

> If I remember correctly, there is not a minimum age for a ham license and it opens up a whole new world.

Pity its a hopeless approach for real emergencys, if only because
those who may receive the emergency call need to listen all the time.

Makes a hell of a lot more sense to use a cellphone instead.

Don K

Sep 19, 2007, 6:01:03 PM9/19/07
"C. Massey" <ch...@host.invalid> wrote in message

Be aware that the original claim said "up to 26 miles".
It's certainly nothing that could be depended on to be typical performance.

I'd bet that typical unit-to-unit range (with say, 70% probability of success)
is more like 2 or 3 miles, unless it's between mountain peaks.

Don

imascot

Sep 19, 2007, 8:00:48 PM9/19/07
LD <ldanc...@hotmail.com> wrote in news:1190137561.858312.39460
@r29g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

> Hello, me again (the original poster).
>
> Thank you all for your input, it's really helpful. There are some
> very knowledgeable people in this group!
>
> Rick - your point on having the non cell phone on all the time, with
> its accompanying band traffic, is duly noted.
>
> SMS - your idea to use pay phones, or someone's cell, will work,
> unless the parent the child is trying to reach is not near a land-line
> phone (i.e. in a car or in a store).

> So, bottom line is: we really need 4 phones.
>
> We will check out the 7-eleven phones, which seem to be the cheapest
> option. It's kind of funny, actually, that a convenience store would
> have their own mobile phone services! Who knows, McDonalds and Tim
> Horton may soon follow suit!
>

> I'll keep you posted.
>
> Again, thank you all!

I Googled Canada + prepaid cell and found this site:
http://www.canadiancontent.net/mobile/prepaid.php

Plus, Ebay has lots of phones for sale, you could get an idea of what phones and networks are
available that way, maybe even find a lot of 4 phones cheap.

J.

SMS

Sep 19, 2007, 8:35:52 PM9/19/07
imascot wrote:

> I Googled Canada + prepaid cell and found this site:
> http://www.canadiancontent.net/mobile/prepaid.php
>
> Plus, Ebay has lots of phones for sale, you could get an idea of what phones and networks are
> available that way, maybe even find a lot of 4 phones cheap.

Note that 7-11 SpeakOut requires that you buy their phones. They don't
sell SIM cards. So there's no upside in buying phones on eBay (as there
usually isn't!).

Fido (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid_airtime.shtml") is
more expensive and more complicated than SpeakOut. What's really nice
about Speakout is the 365 day airtime expiration. Instead of adding $10
every 30 days like Fido, you can and $25 once a year.

Zee

Sep 26, 2007, 6:35:26 AM9/26/07
On Sep 20, 8:35 am, SMS <scharf.ste...@geemail.com> wrote:
> imascot wrote:
> > I Googled Canada +prepaidcell and found this site:

> >http://www.canadiancontent.net/mobile/prepaid.php
>
> > Plus, Ebay has lots of phones for sale, you could get an idea of what phones and networks are
> > available that way, maybe even find a lot of 4 phones cheap.
>
> Note that 7-11 SpeakOut requires that you buy their phones. They don't
> sell SIMcards. So there's no upside in buying phones on eBay (as there

> usually isn't!).
>
> Fido (http://www.fido.ca/portal/en/packages/prepaid_airtime.shtml") is
> more expensive and more complicated than SpeakOut. What's really nice
> about Speakout is the 365 day airtime expiration. Instead of adding $10
> every 30 days like Fido, you can and $25 once a year.

Cell phone or Walkie Talkie? I think you can not compare those two.
You need to weigh thing when and where you gonna need it.