the most efficient form of heat.

A Veteran

Oct 19, 2007, 9:13:10 AM10/19/07
thermodynamics.
3 ways to transfer heat.
You want Radiant heat.
but you must be in the same space as the heat source and it should not
blocked by a sheet metal cover. Direct to objects in the room.
we chose a wood stove.

--
when you believe the only tool you have is a hammer.
All problems look like nails.

Jeff

Oct 20, 2007, 10:42:13 AM10/20/07
A Veteran wrote:

> thermodynamics.
> 3 ways to transfer heat.
> You want Radiant heat.
> but you must be in the same space as the heat source and it should not
> blocked by a sheet metal cover. Direct to objects in the room.
> we chose a wood stove.

There's a lot that isn't great about wood stoves. If you live in an area
where wood is cheap/free and you don't mind stoking the box at 5 AM on a
cold day, then wood stoves are fine.

This winter, my plan is to use my wood stove a lot less.

Jeff

Dawn

Oct 20, 2007, 1:58:44 PM10/20/07
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:42:13 -0400, Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:

>A Veteran wrote:
>

>There's a lot that isn't great about wood stoves. If you live in an area
>where wood is cheap/free and you don't mind stoking the box at 5 AM on a
>cold day, then wood stoves are fine.
>
> This winter, my plan is to use my wood stove a lot less.
>
>Jeff

My plan is to use mine more. I have a tendency towards the end of the
season to just turn on the electric heat.
Dawn, who enjoys wood heat much more.

Jeff

Oct 20, 2007, 2:19:12 PM10/20/07

I've got enough wood stacked for the season, but I really don't want
to burn it all. It's a lot of work getting more.

I've been going solar and adding insulation the last few years so my
plan is to only use the wood when I have to. We'll see... This year I'm
going to close down about half the house and see how it cruises.

Jeff

Gary Heston

Oct 20, 2007, 9:17:22 PM10/20/07
In article <georgek-DBB72E...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,

A Veteran <geo...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>thermodynamics.
>3 ways to transfer heat.
>You want Radiant heat.
>but you must be in the same space as the heat source and it should not
>blocked by a sheet metal cover. Direct to objects in the room.
>we chose a wood stove.

If you want efficient heat, move to an equatorial desert. You won't
have to pay a cent for heat, or consume any resources to get it.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

pc

Oct 20, 2007, 11:24:13 PM10/20/07
Gary Heston wrote:
> In article <georgek-DBB72E...@sn-ip.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
> A Veteran <geo...@humboldt1.com> wrote:
>> thermodynamics.
>> 3 ways to transfer heat.
>> You want Radiant heat.
>> but you must be in the same space as the heat source and it should not
>> blocked by a sheet metal cover. Direct to objects in the room.
>> we chose a wood stove.
>
> If you want efficient heat, move to an equatorial desert. You won't
> have to pay a cent for heat, or consume any resources to get it.
>

> Gary

Menopause. All the heat you want...at all the wrong times.

Dawn

Oct 21, 2007, 3:30:40 PM10/21/07
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:19:12 -0400, Jeff <dont_...@all.uk> wrote:

>>> This winter, my plan is to use my wood stove a lot less.
>>>
>>>Jeff
>>>

>> My plan is to use mine more. I have a tendency towards the end of the
>> season to just turn on the electric heat.
>> Dawn, who enjoys wood heat much more.
>
> I've got enough wood stacked for the season, but I really don't want
>to burn it all. It's a lot of work getting more.
>
> I've been going solar and adding insulation the last few years so my
>plan is to only use the wood when I have to. We'll see... This year I'm
>going to close down about half the house and see how it cruises.
>
> Jeff

I hear that. Here we have many trees around our house. Seems like
every year or two at least one tree falls. So our wood supply costs
us very little other than time and effort.
Dawn, who keeps looking at solar.