Re: Repalcement for Yahoo Photos

Message has been deleted

nos...@sbcglobal.invalid.net

Sep 10, 2007, 11:06:35 PM9/10/07
If you're using AT&T/SBC/Yahoo/whatever the hell they're calling
themselves this week/ the best option is to switch to an ISP who
provides basic internet services (image hosting, FTP storage etc) at
no extra cost.

I love how AT&T phrased their marketing letter, i.e. "we're dedicated
to providing you better service, that's why we're discontinuing Yahoo
Photos".

<deja_bh...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:1189473799.3...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...
> Yahoo Photo is shutting down in 10 days.
>
> I have 1300 photos ay Yahoo Photos (782 MB total size), uploaded over
> the past few years (I do have origianls of all of those at home PC, so
> losing is not a concern). The migration options they present are
> Flickr, Shutterfly, Snapfish, Kodak Galley and Photobucket.
>
> Ideally I would have liked to switch to Picasa (Google), but that's
> not an option.
>
> I don't like Flickr because unless I pay, they will show only last 200
> photos. Also, each month I can upload only 100MB worth of photos, or
> between 50 and 100 photos, on average.
>
> Many people on these newsgroups must have faced this issue -- so which
> free service is better? My requirements are:
>
> 1. Show all photos that I upload, not just last x (Total size limit of
> at least 1 GB, preferably 2 GB would be preferred).
>
> 2. No inactivity trap -- just cause I don't upload photos for 2 or 3
> months, I don't want the account deleted.
>
> 3. No fees, and no credit card required for signing.
>
> Perhaps there's no srevice like the above, for free, or perhaps there
> is. I would appreciate your feedbacks on the newsgroup.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bhoot Nath

Message has been deleted

Mike Hunt

Sep 10, 2007, 11:45:53 PM9/10/07
On 2007-09-11, Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote:

> deja_bh...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> Yahoo Photo is shutting down in 10 days.
>>
>> I have 1300 photos ay Yahoo Photos (782 MB total size), uploaded over
>> the past few years (I do have origianls of all of those at home PC, so
>> losing is not a concern). The migration options they present are
>> Flickr, Shutterfly, Snapfish, Kodak Galley and Photobucket.
>>
>> Ideally I would have liked to switch to Picasa (Google), but that's
>> not an option.
>
> I'm confused as to why you can't switch to any old photo hosting service
> you want to. Yes, obviously you would have to download the photos, but
> there are tools to do that. I suppose if you've added comments or
> organized them into albums or something, that might be lost, but I
> guess that's life.

There are tools to download yahoo photo albums? Can you point me to one
that works?

--
This is my .sig

Malcolm Hoar

Sep 11, 2007, 12:04:34 AM9/11/07
In article <1189473799.3...@19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>, deja_bh...@yahoo.com wrote:
>Yahoo Photo is shutting down in 10 days.

I tried Yahoo photos some time ago, on the assumption that
this is something Yahoo would get right. Within an hour or
two, it was pretty obvious they had missed the mark by a
very considerable margin. The demise of this service does
not come as a surprise.

>I have 1300 photos ay Yahoo Photos (782 MB total size), uploaded over
>the past few years (I do have origianls of all of those at home PC, so
>losing is not a concern). The migration options they present are
>Flickr, Shutterfly, Snapfish, Kodak Galley and Photobucket.

Here's a list of services that I culled from a photography
forum that I inhabit from time to time. All of these are
used and recommended by folks that are either professionals
or pretty serious amateurs:

http://www.smugmug.com/
http://www.pbase.com/
http://www.zenfolio.com/
http://www.flickr.com/
http://picasaweb.google.com/

Many require a (modest) fee. Keep in mind that *any* free
service is going to plaster your content with adverts or
solicitations to sell prints. You can avoid all of that
crapola by paying a small and fairly reasonable (IMO) fee.

| ma...@malch.com Gary Player. |
| http://www.malch.com/ Shpx gur PQN. |

Logan Shaw

Sep 11, 2007, 12:23:01 AM9/11/07
Mike Hunt wrote:
> On 2007-09-11, Logan Shaw <lshaw-...@austin.rr.com> wrote:
>> deja_bh...@yahoo.com wrote:

>> I'm confused as to why you can't switch to any old photo hosting service
>> you want to. Yes, obviously you would have to download the photos, but
>> there are tools to do that.

> There are tools to download yahoo photo albums? Can you point me to one
> that works?

There are tools to download web sites and portions thereof. However, I
have to admit I just spent about 10 minutes with one trying to download
a few photos from my own Yahoo photo thing (which I discovered does have
2 or 3 photos in it), and it wasn't trivial. But I'm sure it's possible.

- Logan

Anthony Matonak

Sep 11, 2007, 1:04:51 AM9/11/07
Malcolm Hoar wrote:

> Here's a list of services that I culled from a photography
> forum that I inhabit from time to time. All of these are
> used and recommended by folks that are either professionals
> or pretty serious amateurs:
>
> http://www.smugmug.com/
> http://www.pbase.com/
> http://www.zenfolio.com/
> http://www.flickr.com/
> http://picasaweb.google.com/
>
> Many require a (modest) fee. Keep in mind that *any* free
> service is going to plaster your content with adverts or
> solicitations to sell prints. You can avoid all of that
> crapola by paying a small and fairly reasonable (IMO) fee.

There is also the option of setting up your own website if
you have any sort of broadband access. A web server doesn't
require a powerful computer or a big hard drive and both
linux and apache are free. The computer itself might be
free (or nearly so) as a hand-me-down or a thrift store find.

It's a little technical, involves a bit of work and might
violate the terms of service (TOS) of your ISP.

Anthony

jo...@phred.org

Sep 13, 2007, 12:06:50 AM9/13/07
In article <ZCnFi.8951$924....@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>,
nos...@sbcglobal.invalid.net says...

> If you're using AT&T/SBC/Yahoo/whatever the hell they're calling
> themselves this week/ the best option is to switch to an ISP who
> provides basic internet services (image hosting, FTP storage etc) at
> no extra cost.
>
> I love how AT&T phrased their marketing letter, i.e. "we're dedicated
> to providing you better service, that's why we're discontinuing Yahoo
> Photos".

OK, now I'm confused.

AT&T and Yahoo are two different companies, and the decision to
discontinue Yahoo Photos was made by Yahoo, after they acquired flickr
and decided to migrate their photo hosting to the flickr platform.

What does AT&T have to do with it?

--
jo...@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/>

Bill

Sep 13, 2007, 12:16:03 AM9/13/07
jo...@phred.org wrote:

> In article <ZCnFi.8951$924....@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net>,
> nos...@sbcglobal.invalid.net says...
> > If you're using AT&T/SBC/Yahoo/whatever the hell they're calling
> > themselves this week/ the best option is to switch to an ISP who
> > provides basic internet services (image hosting, FTP storage etc) at
> > no extra cost.
> >
> > I love how AT&T phrased their marketing letter, i.e. "we're dedicated
> > to providing you better service, that's why we're discontinuing Yahoo
> > Photos".
>
> OK, now I'm confused.
>
> AT&T and Yahoo are two different companies, and the decision to
> discontinue Yahoo Photos was made by Yahoo, after they acquired flickr
> and decided to migrate their photo hosting to the flickr platform.
>
> What does AT&T have to do with it?

AT&T owns SBC (or maybe now IS SBC), which has an ISP service
that offers Yahoo as their customer front end, presumably
including Yahoo Photos. I think I got that right.

Bill

John Higdon

Sep 13, 2007, 10:57:43 AM9/13/07
In article <MPG.215257324...@newsgroups.comcast.net>,
<jo...@phred.org> wrote:

> AT&T and Yahoo are two different companies, and the decision to
> discontinue Yahoo Photos was made by Yahoo, after they acquired flickr
> and decided to migrate their photo hosting to the flickr platform.
>
> What does AT&T have to do with it?

PacBell/SBC/AT&T, or whatever the company name dujour, has been in bed
with Yahoo for a long time. It is one of the reasons I have advised
people to avoid their Internet services at all costs.

--
John Higdon
+1 408 ANdrews 6-4400

Dane Jasper

Sep 13, 2007, 4:35:10 PM9/13/07
In ba.internet Mike Hunt <in2s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
: There are tools to download yahoo photo albums? Can you point me to one
: that works?

How about using Migratr? It's designed for this type of thing - moving
photos from one service to another. Looks pretty cool, but I haven't used
it.

http://www.callingshotgun.net/migratr

--
Dane Jasper Sonic.net, Inc.
(707)522-1000

Key fingerprint = A5 D6 6E 16 D8 81 BA E9 CB BD A9 77 B3 AF 45 53

Mike Hunt

Sep 13, 2007, 4:56:04 PM9/13/07
On 2007-09-13, Dane Jasper <da...@sonic.net> wrote:
> In ba.internet Mike Hunt <in2s...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>: There are tools to download yahoo photo albums? Can you point me to one
>: that works?
>

> How about using Migratr? It's designed for this type of thing - moving
> photos from one service to another. Looks pretty cool, but I haven't used
> it.
>
> http://www.callingshotgun.net/migratr

It doesn't support Yahoo. It currently has support for:
23HQ
Faces
Flickr
Picasa Web
SmugMug

From the URL:

I am, for the time being, completely blocked on completing integration
of Yahoo Photos into migratr.

Yahoo Photos, Issue 1:When I register for an API key, they dont give
me a shared secret key-For some reason they just dont feel like
handing out all the information I need in order to authenticate to
their service.

Yahoo Photos, Issue 2:They dont have any mechanism for desktop clients
to authenticate to their services.Only browser based services.

Yahoo Photos, Issue 3:As a third party application, Migratr is
forbidden from being the mechanism by which you move your photos to
another service.The license agreement states:

etc.

John Richards

Sep 14, 2007, 5:34:16 PM9/14/07
"John Higdon" <ske...@IBOCisaCrock.org> wrote in message news:skeptic-F0293D...@news.announcetech.com...

Don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.
All the Yahoo stuff is optional, except for email, and even that can be
gotten around by using Gmail or one's own domain name.
AT&T DSL is a bargain.
--
John Richards