Shoe repair & Shoe Goo?

1 view

leno...@yahoo.com

Aug 19, 2008, 2:35:55 PM8/19/08
I have a pair of suede oxfords (Soft Spot All Day Comfort). One has a
one-inch split in it, starting at the top edge of the rubber sole, at
the heel. Does anyone know how much Shoe Goo costs compared to taking
it to be repaired? Could I use super-glue just as effectively?
Anything else I should know?

Lenona.

Gordon

Aug 19, 2008, 6:04:04 PM8/19/08
leno...@yahoo.com wrote in news:8d0a1bf0-a3bf-4929-b776-2de43a3b9645@
59g2000hsb.googlegroups.com:

Is it actully split, So that you can poke your finger through
from the inside out? If so, then no glue is going to help you.
If the upper is separating from the sole, then it is easy to
repair. Super glue would be a poor choice, it's too brittle.
My favorite choice has been hot melt glue.

Al Bundy

Aug 19, 2008, 6:27:54 PM8/19/08

Shoe Goo or Goop is manufactured by Eclectic products and sold in 3.7
oz. tubes normally.
The exact same formula is marketed as Household Goop, Plumbing Goop,
Automotive Goop, and RV Goop. The RV Goop has UV protection added to
the mix. I have found the cheapest product is $2.97 for the Plumbing
Goop at Wal*Mart. RV Goop is the most expensive at about $3.57.

If this is a case where the heal has pulled out from the sole
material, then Goop would work if you were sure to let it dry for a
few days before using. Contact cement is the choice of shoemakers.
With both products, the technique used is important. Contact cement
should be applied in at least two coats, On the second coat, let it
dry about 10" before bringing the pieces together. The best bond could
occur if you could wait 30" before contacting the pieces, but that
depends on the solvent in the cement. You would be safe with 10".
After bringing the pieces together, you would then pound the pieces
with a suitable mallet while protecting the finish of the shoe. (This
is called stitching.) Then you might want to rubber band the shoe
together so it did not try to pull apart while curing. Let it sit for
two days.

If the leather really is split, you are in deep sushi. If you don't
care about appearance, you can do various things. Ideally, you would
put a patch piece over the split on the outside with cement.
Alternatively, if the leather is not rotten, you could actually sew
the split together if you have the proper needle. A pair of pliers can
be used to assist in pushing the needle through. A tiny drill hole
works well. The thread used should be nylon of the same color. This
nylon thread is so strong that you cannot break it with your hands
without it cutting into your skin. You'd have to buy that at a sewing
store if you don't have it.

Yes, you could do something with the shoe, but the cost of the right
items to make the repair would cost more than a professional repair if
you don't own them already. If you are merely experimenting, do
something with what you have or the Goop, which can be used on other
things and stores very well. Otherwise, see a shoe repair place if you
can find one.

john hamilton

Aug 20, 2008, 12:38:43 PM8/20/08

"Al Bundy" <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in message

> lenona...@yahoo.com wrote:
>> I have a pair of suede oxfords (Soft Spot All Day Comfort). One has a
>> one-inch split in it, starting at the top edge of the rubber sole, at
>> the heel. Does anyone know how much Shoe Goo costs compared to taking
>> it to be repaired? Could I use super-glue just as effectively?
>> Anything else I should know?
>>
>> Lenona.

here in the u.k. you can buy stick on heels and soles, usually sold in
woolworths stores.

they use a glue that is labelled 'polyurathane' and its really tough and
really sticky. (a tube is about £2 ). you can build it up in layers and
make anything stick to anything and its waterproof. for shoes i wouldn't
bother with any other type of glue.