Best Buy bad PC purchase

josh.k...@comcast.net

Jun 17, 2008, 7:20:08 PM6/17/08
Use caution when buying a PC from Best Buy. I bought a laptop from
them recently for almost $1k. The antivirus program that came with it
was MacAfee, which slowed windows down quite a bit, especially in
booting up time.

I removed it through add/remove programs, and all of a sudden I
couldn't get online anymore.

I returned it to Best Buy immediately, although I had to pay the
restocking fee, which Wal Mart to the best of my knowledge does NOT
charge.

The Geek Squad clerk tried to talk me into another laptop although i
said I was not interested, this thing was junk, and I wanted a
refund. They were very slow in giving me a refund and I was almost
late to work as a result.

I would also like to add, a friend of mine just bought a laptop from
Best Buy, and after a few days, she was unable to get online. She
called the Geek Squad support which she paid for and got someone in
India who she could barely understand. He said take the computer into
the store, which she did. The Geek Squad rep charged her $39 for a
diagnostic fee although she has a full warranty. Then the Verizon
people found it was a defective card and so she was charged $39 for
absolutely nothing.

Also, the Geek Squad clerk said not to use the back up restore discs
they gave her and only let them do this if needed. They said it was
because it would reformat the drive and if they had to reinstall
anything these discs didn't, it would cost $200.

Pingeek
http://www.pingeek.com
Get your pinball dvds here!

George Grapman

Jun 17, 2008, 7:42:26 PM6/17/08

I have had two experiences with Best Buy.

1- I wanted a Caller ID box that would work with call waiting. The
only one on in stock was a display model. It took a while to find a
clerk who said he needed a mangers approval to sell it. He vanished and
I gave up after 15 minutes.

2- I was looking a a computer package that included a monitor. I asked
how much it would cost without the monitor and the clerk insisted that
my monitor which I got with Windows 98 would not work with XP.

Al Bundy

Jun 17, 2008, 7:44:09 PM6/17/08
On Jun 17, 7:20 pm, josh.kapl...@comcast.net wrote:
> Use caution when buying a PC from Best Buy. I bought a laptop from
> them recently for almost $1k. The antivirus program that came with it
> was MacAfee, which slowed windows down quite a bit, especially in
> booting up time.
>
> I removed it through add/remove programs, and all of a sudden I
> couldn't get online anymore.

In your case it sounds like you did not know how to uninstall the
antivirus properly.
Your friends story is third hand and, therefore, not worth much
either.
Let's face it, you are just looking to post your site here.

Seerialmom

Jun 17, 2008, 7:47:00 PM6/17/08
> Pingeekhttp://www.pingeek.com

> Get your pinball dvds here!

I see a couple of issues here:

1. Best Buy is a "retail store", not a computer store and therefore
will make money any possible way they can.
2. Best Buy was contacted for Tech Support, not the manufacturer

josh.k...@comcast.net

Jun 17, 2008, 9:34:16 PM6/17/08

The only way to uninstall the program was through add/remove.

As to my friend's story, well, I was there when it all happened.

Rod Speed

Jun 18, 2008, 12:23:40 AM6/18/08
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote
> josh.kapl...@comcast.net wrote

>> Use caution when buying a PC from Best Buy. I bought a laptop from them
>> recently for almost $1k. The antivirus program that came with it was MacAfee,
>> which slowed windows down quite a bit, especially in booting up time.

>> I removed it through add/remove programs, and all of a sudden I couldn't get online anymore.

> In your case it sounds like you did not know how to uninstall the antivirus properly.

The way he did it should be all you need to do if it had been designed properly.

> Your friends story is third hand and, therefore, not worth much either.

> Let's face it, you are just looking to post your site here.

Mindless conspiracy theory.

Al Bundy

Jun 18, 2008, 4:21:12 PM6/18/08
On Jun 18, 12:23 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Al Bundy <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote

> > josh.kapl...@comcast.net wrote
> >> Use caution when buying a PC from Best Buy. I bought a laptop from them
> >> recently for almost $1k. The antivirus program that came with it was MacAfee,
> >> which slowed windows down quite a bit, especially in booting up time.
> >> I removed it through add/remove programs, and all of a sudden I couldn't get online anymore.
> > In your case it sounds like you did not know how to uninstall the antivirus properly.
>
> The way he did it should be all you need to do if it had been designed properly.

True, but those anti-virus programs tend to hold your computer hostage
and take more work to completely remove.

> > Your friends story is third hand and, therefore, not worth much either.
> > Let's face it, you are just looking to post your site here.
>
> Mindless conspiracy theory.

I don't take third party checks either. Why talk to the monkey when
you can deal with the organ grinder?

Rod Speed

Jun 18, 2008, 5:00:03 PM6/18/08
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote
>> Al Bundy <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote
>>> josh.kapl...@comcast.net wrote

>>> In your case it sounds like you did not know how to uninstall the antivirus properly.

>> The way he did it should be all you need to do if it had been designed properly.

> True, but those anti-virus programs tend to hold your computer
> hostage and take more work to completely remove.

Not the properly designed ones.

And returning the badly designed ones for a full refund is the only thing that makes any sense.

>>> Your friends story is third hand and, therefore, not worth much
>>> either. Let's face it, you are just looking to post your site here.

>> Mindless conspiracy theory.

> I don't take third party checks either. Why talk to the
> monkey when you can deal with the organ grinder?

No one is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to click on his link.

If someone is doing that, call the cops.

Seerialmom

Jun 18, 2008, 7:33:32 PM6/18/08
On Jun 17, 4:42 pm, George Grapman <sfgeo...@paccbell.net> wrote:
> my monitor which I got with Windows 98 would not work with XP.- Hide quoted text -

It's all about the bottom line profit...and if you believed him it
sounds like he saw you coming a mile away ;)

George Grapman

Jun 19, 2008, 1:24:26 AM6/19/08
Actually I walked out and went to a mom and pop place that built what
I needed.