Mounting Old Linoleum on stained wood:

jwill

Aug 3, 2007, 11:48:12 AM8/3/07
Not sure where to post this???

I have some old, worn, rustic linoleum. Some of it looks like it's
pressed onto a rough burlap / type material.

I'd like to stain some hardwood plywood, and "mount" the linoleum
pieces to it. Then put some sort of coating over the linoleum. These
will be hung on the wall. Here are my questions:

How should I "mount" the linoleum to the stained wood? Some type of
spray adhesive? Can I use Polyurethane to mount it?

How should I "coat over" the linoleum? Will Polyurethane work there
too? I could poly the wood and linoleum in one shot?

How about that stuff that you can put items in, so when it dries, it
looks like they are "floating" in the solid. I've seen tabletops like
that. Might that stuff work?

Thanks for your input...

Rick

Aug 3, 2007, 12:36:00 PM8/3/07
jwill wrote:

> Not sure where to post this???
>
> I have some old, worn, rustic linoleum. Some of it looks like it's
> pressed onto a rough burlap / type material.

WARNING! Old linoleum was made with asbestos. And that sounds like what
you are describing. I'm not so sure it's safe to play with this stuff.

Rick

George

Aug 3, 2007, 12:58:32 PM8/3/07

Why not? typically linoleum isn't friable.

Cra...@nevermind.com

Aug 3, 2007, 5:17:18 PM8/3/07
On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:58:32 -0400, George <geo...@nospam.invalid>
wrote:

>> WARNING! Old linoleum was made with asbestos. And that sounds like what
>> you are describing. I'm not so sure it's safe to play with this stuff.
>>
>> Rick
>
>Why not? typically linoleum isn't friable.

He is going to mount it, not eat it.

COM

George

Aug 3, 2007, 6:49:43 PM8/3/07

Don K

Aug 3, 2007, 6:58:38 PM8/3/07
"jwill" <john_wil...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Plywood is not the best-looking wood around, IMO.

I would stick the linoleum to a hidden plywood backing using regular
linoleum adhesive and then frame the linoleum with strips of nicer wood,
so that it looks like linoleum inserts in some nice wood.

Also if it were me, I wouldn't coat it. I don't know what you now like about
the old, worn, rustic look, but it probably won't be the same if you put a
plastic slipcover over it.

Do they routinely coat artwork like the Mona Lisa in plastic?

Don

Gary Heston

Aug 3, 2007, 6:57:27 PM8/3/07
In article <1186156092.1...@q75g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>,

jwill <john_wil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Not sure where to post this???

I'd have thought there would be a craft or art group,,,

>I have some old, worn, rustic linoleum. Some of it looks like it's
>pressed onto a rough burlap / type material.

>I'd like to stain some hardwood plywood, and "mount" the linoleum
>pieces to it. Then put some sort of coating over the linoleum. These
>will be hung on the wall. Here are my questions:

>How should I "mount" the linoleum to the stained wood? Some type of
>spray adhesive? Can I use Polyurethane to mount it?

I'd use contact cement or regular flooring adhesive. Lay waxed paper
over it, a board larger than the piece of linoleum, and weight it
with a few bricks until i cures.

>How should I "coat over" the linoleum? Will Polyurethane work there
>too? I could poly the wood and linoleum in one shot?

That should work fine. Test on a scrap piece to make sure.

>How about that stuff that you can put items in, so when it dries, it
>looks like they are "floating" in the solid. I've seen tabletops like
>that. Might that stuff work?

It would be difficult to do. Sandwiching it between two pieces of plate
glass would be much easier.

>Thanks for your input...

Sure. Regarding the asbestos warning, don't saw, sand, grind, drill, or
scrape the linoleum and you'll be fine.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

Message has been deleted