Unusual Problem With DVD+RW Disc

Jack

Aug 26, 2008, 4:37:19 PM8/26/08
Bought a spindle of Memorex. The Lite-On recorder/player rejected
five of them outright but the other 20 have recorded and re-recorded
TV shows OK so far .... until last night.

The disc read OK so I programmed a show. This morning, the timer
screen said that the recording was "done," in other words,
successful. But the disc wouldn't play on either the player/recorder
downstairs or the Philips player upstairs.

In fact, the upstairs player shuts off and says "no disc" and the
player/recorder downstairs says "invalid disc." Other discs still
work OK.

I missed a damn good movie. Have you ever heard of a disc going from
acceptable to invalid while it sat in the recorder??

Dave

Aug 26, 2008, 5:37:44 PM8/26/08

"Jack" <nos...@nospam.home> wrote in message

Ok, you've learned a valuable lesson...don't buy memorex brand CDR/W media.

If 5 of 25 were rejected outright, that means that the best of the bunch are
MARGINALLY compatible with your recorder. Considering that the media has to
be perfectly compatible with the recorder for you to have any chance of
playing that recording in another player...

I'd say you had pretty good luck with your incompatible disks, until you
lost a recording which you REALLY wanted.

I'd suggest you switch to maxell or ritek / ridata brand media, immediately.
But don't buy a large quantity, just buy a few at a time. Maxell and ridata
are both very good brands, with wide compatibility with a wide range of
recorders and players of many brands. But you won't know if any brand of
media is compatible with all YOUR equipment, until you try it.

You've ruled out Memorex, now it's time to move onto a different (hopefully
better) brand of disk. -Dave

nospam

Aug 26, 2008, 6:11:32 PM8/26/08
"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message news:g91t31$te2$1...@registered.motzarella.org...

> "Jack" <nos...@nospam.home> wrote in message
> > Bought a spindle of Memorex. The Lite-On recorder/player rejected
> > five of them outright but the other 20 have recorded and re-recorded
> > TV shows OK so far .... until last night.
> >
> > The disc read OK so I programmed a show. This morning, the timer
> > screen said that the recording was "done," in other words,
> > successful. But the disc wouldn't play on either the player/recorder
> > downstairs or the Philips player upstairs.
> >
> > In fact, the upstairs player shuts off and says "no disc" and the
> > player/recorder downstairs says "invalid disc." Other discs still
> > work OK.
> >
> > I missed a damn good movie. Have you ever heard of a disc going from
> > acceptable to invalid while it sat in the recorder??
>
> Ok, you've learned a valuable lesson...don't buy memorex brand CDR/W media.
>
> If 5 of 25 were rejected outright, that means that the best of the bunch are
> MARGINALLY compatible with your recorder. Considering that the media has to
> be perfectly compatible with the recorder for you to have any chance of
> playing that recording in another player...
>
> I'd say you had pretty good luck with your incompatible disks, until you
> lost a recording which you REALLY wanted.
>
> I'd suggest you switch to maxell or ritek / ridata brand media, immediately.

Yikes. Out of the fire and into the frying pan.

Maxell, Ritek, Memorex, TDK and a dozen other brands are all the
same media produced by the same company (CMC) in Taiwan.

It's *all the same junk*.

The industry's best media (as claimed by others, but it's also been my
experience) is Taiyo Yuden in Japan. It's sold under several different
brands but it's safest to buy actual TY product:
http://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-media.html

It costs more than the crap media, but you'll never get coasters unless
it's your own fault, and unlike the crap brands you'll be able to read
these discs 10+ years from now.

Mitsui (NOT Mitsumi) is also an excellent brand, if you can find it.

Dave

Aug 26, 2008, 7:46:47 PM8/26/08

>> I'd suggest you switch to maxell or ritek / ridata brand media,
>> immediately.
>
> Yikes. Out of the fire and into the frying pan.
>
> Maxell, Ritek, Memorex, TDK and a dozen other brands are all the
> same media produced by the same company (CMC) in Taiwan.
>
> It's *all the same junk*.

That doesn't tell the whole story though. Many brands are actually
manufactured by someone else. But there are so many different coatings
produced by the same plant, that some disks coming off the line are
guaranteed coasters, while some will actually be good quality. I've used
many different brands of burners. Memorex is crap in all of them. Same
with Sony. If anything, Sony is worse than Memorex. OTOH, I haven't found
a burner (or a player, in a computer or in a standalone player) that wasn't
happy with maxell or ritek / ridata, yet. I've had good luck with TDK also
(as in, zero coasters and no playback problems), though I usually buy
maxell, if I can find them. -Dave

nospam

Aug 26, 2008, 8:35:56 PM8/26/08
"Dave" <no...@nohow.not> wrote in message news:g924kv$di6$1...@registered.motzarella.org...

Dave, companies like TDK, Maxell and Memorex simply source
the cheapest media they can find (in this case from CMC), and
slap their own brand labels on it. These companies rarely buy
quality, or pay more for media with better dyes or coatings.
They also can switch suppliers any time they choose, so quality
is a complete crapshoot every time you buy a new batch.

A few utilities can read the inner hub of blank media, where a
manufacturer's ID code is stored. This will allow you (in most
cases) to know what you're actually using. See:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmediaform.php?dvdinfo=1#dvdinfo

Tony

Aug 27, 2008, 1:39:13 AM8/27/08
Buy a *real* dvd recorder/player and use DVD-RAM discs.

Jack wrote:

--
The Grandmaster of the CyberFROG

Come get your ticket to CyberFROG city

No, I just decided not to play your silly game is all. *Some* of us know
proper manners

beyond the realm of understandability

Jack Bauer

Aug 27, 2008, 4:55:44 AM8/27/08

Trouble is, the OP was talking about DVD+RW. Your link shows only DVD-R
and DVD+R. If you are saying skip RW and go strictly with write-once
media, OK, but that doesn't solve his problem.

Charlie

Aug 27, 2008, 8:22:21 PM8/27/08
nos...@nospam.home (Jack) wrote in news:48b46957...@nntp.aioe.org:

All very good suggestions from the group.

I would add:

1.Use DVD-R or DVD+R They tend to be a more stable recording medium then
DVD-RW.

2.Try recording at a lower speed. That can sometimes help in
compatability issues between DVD Drive and medium.

3.Lastly, Why don't you save the program to your hard drive first and
then you can view it or record it to disk. If you have a bad disk or get
disk errors you still have the movie!

Cheers, Charlie

Dave

Aug 27, 2008, 8:36:14 PM8/27/08
> I would add:
>
> 1.Use DVD-R or DVD+R They tend to be a more stable recording medium then
> DVD-RW.
>
> 2.Try recording at a lower speed. That can sometimes help in
> compatability issues between DVD Drive and medium.
>
> 3.Lastly, Why don't you save the program to your hard drive first and
> then you can view it or record it to disk. If you have a bad disk or get
> disk errors you still have the movie!
>
> Cheers, Charlie

I could be wrong, but I thought he was asking about a standalone DVD
recorder, not one mounted in a computer. But your suggestion still has
merit. I wouldn't use a DVD recorder without a hard drive. The OP might
benefit from an upgrade. -Dave