used car

b...@coolgroups.com

Aug 5, 2007, 4:24:53 AM8/5/07
I was just wondering if there's a good way to ensure that a car hasn't
been smoked in when buying a used car. Sometimes it's hard to tell at
the dealership.

Rod Speed

Aug 5, 2007, 5:44:09 AM8/5/07
b...@coolgroups.com wrote

> I was just wondering if there's a good way to ensure that
> a car hasn't been smoked in when buying a used car.

Nope.

> Sometimes it's hard to tell at the dealership.

Yep.

Shawn Hirn

Aug 5, 2007, 6:41:50 AM8/5/07
In article <1186302293.7...@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
b...@coolgroups.com wrote:

Sit in the car with the windows up and take it for a test drive.

Don K

Aug 5, 2007, 9:23:33 AM8/5/07
<b...@coolgroups.com> wrote in message

>I was just wondering if there's a good way to ensure that a car hasn't
> been smoked in when buying a used car. Sometimes it's hard to tell at
> the dealership.

You need a very good smoke detector.

If it's important enough to you, a bassethound or bloodhound could be trained
to effectively do that.

Other than that, if you can't smell any smoke residue yourself, then maybe it
doesn't matter.

Don

Logan Shaw

Aug 5, 2007, 10:34:00 AM8/5/07

Find someone who has just quit smoking, and take them with you. If the smell
of cigarette smoke is present, they will detect it.

Seriously though, the best bet might be to take someone who has a really
good sense of smell. I myself would be the exact wrong person, because
I usually can't smell a thing. But, amazing as it is to me personally,
there are people who can smell all kinds of things. Women, on average,
supposedly have a better sense of smell than men, so that might be a good
place to start if you're looking for someone with a really good sense of
smell.

- Logan

Al Bundy

Aug 5, 2007, 10:53:31 AM8/5/07

If it doesn't smell, what is the practical difference anyway? What if
the vehicle was owned by a non smoker and his kid used it a few times
and smoked in it? Where do you draw the line. You are buying a used
car and it ain't no virgin. Concentrate on the mechanicals that will
cost you money. Buy from a private owner if possible for a better
price and a chance to size up the previous owner.

Gary Heston

Aug 5, 2007, 1:38:12 PM8/5/07

Check the ashtray for signs of recent use.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

ra...@vt.edu

Aug 6, 2007, 12:35:38 PM8/6/07

Turn on both the heat and AC. Drive it around for a half hour or so.
If you can't smell it during those tests, you probably never will.
If that's not good enough, buy a new car, then you can be sure.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.

Gordon

Aug 6, 2007, 10:58:23 PM8/6/07
ghe...@hiwaay.net (Gary Heston) wrote in

> In article <1186302293.7...@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> <b...@coolgroups.com> wrote:
>>I was just wondering if there's a good way to ensure that a car hasn't
>>been smoked in when buying a used car. Sometimes it's hard to tell at
>>the dealership.
>
> Check the ashtray for signs of recent use.
>

> Gary

Best advice yet. Also check the lighter (if it has one)
and check for use.

Another idea: Check for yellow nicotine residue in some hard to
reach places. Look carefully around the edges of the windshield.
No mater how well they detail a car, they always leave a small
strip of yellow residue along there somewhere.
You might also get some alcahol wipes and swab some hard to reach
areas under the dash. (or the back of the rear view mirror,
underside of the steering collumn, Intake for the heater core).