Buy first, think later

john smith

Jul 23, 2007, 1:04:34 PM7/23/07
Got my oil changed last week. Kid said I needed a
new air filter (forgot they always do that, along with
that pcv valve). Says it will be $14.99. Said I'd do
it myself. Went to Auto Zone. Cost $13.99 Big
savings, but maybe I got a better filter. Took my
old one out and it didn't look very dirty. Showed it
to my co-worker, who works on cars. He said it
didn't look bad at all. Held it up, could see lots of light
through it. Other co-worker said he cleans his with
gasoline or something like that. I still have the receipt.
Should I return it or keep it figuring the next time I
need one, they may cost a lot more?

George

Jul 23, 2007, 1:44:46 PM7/23/07
I doubt you can clean a pleated paper air filter.

I like the permanent K&N filters. Its a one time purchase that you can
clean. They also have better filtration and less restriction than
pleated paper.

George Grapman

Jul 23, 2007, 1:54:34 PM7/23/07
I pay a few dollars more and let my regular mechanic do the routine
oil change stuff.
A tv station in LA recently took hidden cameras to some of the chains
and found they never even opened the hood.
The last time I went to a Jiffy Lube I decided to have lunch while
they were working on my car. I was in the process of removing my car key
from the key chain and twice the employee told me that would not be
necessary. Made me wonder why he noticed or cared.

George

Jul 23, 2007, 2:05:46 PM7/23/07

Me too, about the only thing I did was install the K&N filter. I prefer
dependable local garages.

I caught a few "hidden camera" shows where they rigged up a car and went
to the various big box chain places. As expected it was unusual to
actually get what you paid for. The worst were the transmission flush
places (valuable to prevent an automatic from dying) where they didn't
even bother to roll the machine over and connect the two hoses.

The Real Bev

Jul 23, 2007, 3:45:20 PM7/23/07
john smith wrote:

> Got my oil changed last week. Kid said I needed a
> new air filter (forgot they always do that, along with
> that pcv valve). Says it will be $14.99. Said I'd do
> it myself. Went to Auto Zone. Cost $13.99 Big
> savings, but maybe I got a better filter.

When I took my mom's car to JiffyLube, the guy showed me the air filter and
quoted a price which was something like 3x the price of the filter at Pep
Boys, which I bought and replaced while my mom watched. The only bad part
is that the filter is in a place that gets really hot, so you have to let it
cool down before you replace it. Big deal.

I always made a point of VISIBLY watching the guy work on the car, and even
went out to ask him a question. Worked fine.

--
Cheers,
Bev

<RJ>

Jul 23, 2007, 5:34:29 PM7/23/07
I went to the local JiffyLube for a basic oil change.
.. they tried to sell me an air filter,
and a cabin filter. ( I declined )

When all was done, the oil change
still cost close to $30....

Further, in wrestling the parts around,
they screwed things up to where I had to
go to the BUICK dealer to get things straightened out.

Now, when I go for an oil change, I specify;
"DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING...DON'T TEST ANYTHING"
Don't swee p the carpets, don't wipe the windshield.
Just change the oil and filter.... nothing else !

<rj>

max

Jul 23, 2007, 8:34:25 PM7/23/07
In article <uX5pi.23827$RX.1...@newssvr11.news.prodigy.net>,
George Grapman <sfge...@paccbell.net> wrote:

> The last time I went to a Jiffy Lube I decided to have lunch while
> they were working on my car. I was in the process of removing my car key
> from the key chain and twice the employee told me that would not be
> necessary. Made me wonder why he noticed or cared.

Word of advice -- i once watched a car wash employee lock a woman's car ...
with the keys in it. Boy was she pissed! Not such a big risk at Jiffy
Lube, but still... Since seeing that, I always keep at least the
transmitter fob in my pocket when i go to one of those places.

,max