Warning-US Search

William Souden

Apr 24, 2008, 1:19:49 PM4/24/08
They offered a basic background check on a person for $5 so I ran one
on myself. For my current address which is listed they had a city where
I have never lived.

Each time I tried to call I had two choices-long waits on hold where
no one ever answered or going to a voice mail box which is always full.
Now I see they billed me $20 for services I never ordered or received.
Via email they told me they had reversed the charges but said it might
take two billing cycles for the credit to appear. MY financial
institution said it would almost always appear on the day it was done
or,at worse a day or two later and advised me to dispute the charge
which I have done.

When a mail box is always full is is by design.

Al Bundy

Apr 24, 2008, 7:12:30 PM4/24/08

William Souden wrote:
> They offered a basic background check on a person for $5 so I ran one
> on myself. For my current address which is listed they had a city where
> I have never lived.

Then again, the rest of us know who we are and where we live and
thereby save $5.
William, you may be one of the few people immune to identity theft as
nobody wants to be you.

William Souden

Apr 24, 2008, 8:23:26 PM4/24/08
I did it to check their accuracy. After getting the report I decided
not to use them for my intended purpose of doing a check on prospective
employees.

Gordon

Apr 24, 2008, 8:44:49 PM4/24/08
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote in news:6504a74f-1218-4030-bc12-
563b61...@z24g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

> William Souden wrote:
>> They offered a basic background check on a person for $5 so I ran one
>> on myself. For my current address which is listed they had a city where
>> I have never lived.
>>

> Then again, the rest of us know who we are and where we live and
> thereby save $5.

Perhaps so. But background checks, credit checks, and drivers license
records are commonly used for screening job applicant's, renters,
or to profile you for insurance companies. Incorrect information can
cost you a job, raise insurance rates, etc.
So it is a good idea to know if _others_ know who you are.

George Grapman

Apr 24, 2008, 9:15:42 PM4/24/08
Which is why the credit reporting agencies are required to give you
free copies of your report. Unfortunately the companies doing background
checks are not subject to that.
I will try to find the link but one site has you enter a name with a
city and then tells you how many reports it found. It then offers to
sell them to you either individually are as part of a short term
unlimited deal. According to their search there were multiple reports on
"Cxtypju Hdseawety" in San Francisco including civil and criminal
cases,job history and phone numbers.
By the way, I agree that when a customer service voice mail box is
always full the company does that intentionally.