Vitamin C useless in combatting colds

Wilson

Jul 19, 2007, 12:15:00 AM7/19/07
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit118.xml

Vitamin C useless in combatting colds

a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of time
and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
person.

Michael Gray

Jul 19, 2007, 4:52:58 AM7/19/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:15:00 -0400, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com>
wrote:

But Echinacia seems to be beneficial...

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2007, 5:33:32 AM7/19/07

Easy to claim. Hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 19, 2007, 7:41:04 AM7/19/07

Actually, that one was debunked some time ago...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

http://www.sequentialpictures.com/moviestarwarsepisode3.html

Geoff

Jul 19, 2007, 9:04:27 AM7/19/07
Mark K. Bilbo wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:22:58 +0930, Michael Gray wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:15:00 -0400, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/
>>> nvit118.xml
>>>
>>> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>>>

>>> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste
>>> of time
>>> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more
>>> than 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on
>>> the average person.
>>
>> But Echinacia seems to be beneficial...
>
> Actually, that one was debunked some time ago...

What about those zinc tabs like Cold-Eze?

Ash

Jul 19, 2007, 12:32:21 PM7/19/07
Where does it say that

> Researchers continue to examine vitamin C alone and in combination with other vitamins and substances, such as echinacea, to examine if it is of any use in preventing and treating diseases and conditions, including cancer.

Is the only mention I saw

Conspiracy of Doves

Jul 19, 2007, 1:06:31 PM7/19/07
On Jul 19, 12:15 am, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com> wrote:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit1...

> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>
> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of time
> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
> 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
> person.

No! My placebo!

*Ahhhh-choo*

Damb oo!

snex

Jul 19, 2007, 1:47:49 PM7/19/07
> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>
> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of time
> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
> 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
> person.

everybody knows vitamin C only cures cancer, DUH.

Ben Kaufman

Jul 19, 2007, 2:28:33 PM7/19/07

That one is somewhat effective. They did controlled tests.

Ben

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2007, 3:10:58 PM7/19/07

Nope.

> They did controlled tests.

Nope.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 19, 2007, 4:17:36 PM7/19/07

"Conspiracy of Doves" <mark...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

not true. wonder what mgs were tested. it used to be that when i felt
a cold/flu
coming on, i'd load up on vit c--20 GRAMS or so. knocked it right out.
no
nothing. i even tested it once and let myself get to feeling sick, just to
be sure i
was going to get sick, and same thing. gone in a day or two.

now i just take garlic and echinacea and i NEVER get sick. neither does
dh.

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 19, 2007, 4:20:06 PM7/19/07

"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in message

> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:04:27 -0400, "Geoff" <geb...@yahoo.nospam.com>
> wrote:

snip

>>> Actually, that one was debunked some time ago...

nope. they used the wrong type of or part of the echinacea.
take it as a tincture (herb pharm is good), and if it doesn't
tingle and light up your mouth like the 4th of july, it's wrong.

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2007, 4:24:45 PM7/19/07

I dont take a damned thing and never get a cold either.

skyeyes

Jul 19, 2007, 6:21:20 PM7/19/07

Take your vitamin C in the form of orange juice. Put some vodka in
it. You won't get well any quicker, but you won't care.

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
skyeyes at dakotacom dot net

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 19, 2007, 7:08:57 PM7/19/07

Nope.

It's all marketing fluff. You'd get more benefit from eating your
veggies...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace
alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing
it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary."
- H. L. Mencken

Michael Gray

Jul 19, 2007, 10:24:30 PM7/19/07

Oh, ye of little faith.
As a scientist, I would not make such a claim if I could not back it
up!

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/dn12126-echinacea-may-halve-the-risk-of-catching-cold.html

Echinacea may halve the risk of catching cold
11:58 25 June 2007
NewScientist.com news service
Roxanne Khamsi

A wide-ranging survey of studies involving echinacea suggests that the
herbal supplement can reduce the risk of catching a cold by about 60%.

Experts say that echinacea might offer a particularly beneficial boost
to people with weak immune systems. However, they also caution that
the long-term effects of taking echinacea remain unknown.

Echinacea supplements are prepared from a plant commonly known as the
purple coneflower, which is native to North America.

Many people have argued that the herbal supplement can protect against
the common cold, but others have said that more scientific evidence is
needed to back up this claim.

To address this debate, Craig Coleman at the University of Connecticut
School of Pharmacy in Hartford, Connecticut, US, and colleagues
reviewed 14 studies of echinacea involving more than 1600 subjects.

Immune boost
On average, the participants in these studies took 300 milligrams of
the supplement three times a day. Based on how often these people
became sick with the common cold, Coleman's team calculated that
Echinacea reduces the odds of catching a cold by 60%.

Moreover, when people did come down with a cold, those taking
echinacea were sick for a shorter period of time. The herbal
supplement seemed to reduce the duration of the cold by 1.4 days. The
average cold lasts from three to five days, Coleman says.

Ronald Eccles, director of the Common Cold Centre at the University of
Cardiff, UK, comments that the new analysis helps to resolve some of
the controversy surrounding echinacea: "Harnessing the power of our
own immune system to fight common infections with herbal medicines
such as echinacea is now given more validity with this interesting
scientific evaluation of past clinical trials.”

Researchers speculate that active compounds in echinacea called
phenols work to protect against cold viruses by revving up the immune
system.

According to Coleman, it is thought that certain phenols in the plant
stimulate the production of an immune signalling chemical, or
"cytokine", known as tumor necrosis factor-alpha.

Not for everyone
For this reason, some scientists say that only certain people should
use echinacea: "People with impaired immune function may benefit from
taking echinacea during the winter months to prevent colds and flu,
but healthy people do not require long-term preventative use," says
Ron Cutler at the University of East London, UK.

Coleman stresses that people with immune system disorders, such as
multiple sclerosis, HIV and rheumatoid arthritis, should not take
echinacea supplements. "Their immune systems are already too revved
up. It's probably not a good idea that they go anywhere near
echinacea," he says.

And Coleman himself says he is not about to start taking echinacea
supplements. "Honestly, at this point I wouldn't," he says. "I really
don't get a lot of colds."

He notes that people in the US who want to buy echinacea should look
for the "USP Dietary Supplement Verified" seal to make sure the
supplement has met manufacturing standards. Coleman adds that children
should receive only about a third of the dose recommended for adults.

Journal reference: Lancet Infectious Diseases (vol 7, p 473)

Related Articles
Safe herbs and minerals for mother and baby
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18725155.000
Strong medicine
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg18224420.100
The easy way to sell drugs ...
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=mg14820024.500
Weblinks
Lancet Infectious Diseases
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622214/description#description
Craig Coleman, Hartford Hospital
http://pharmacy.uconn.edu/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=352&Itemid=
Lancet Infectious Diseases
http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622214/description#description

Michael Gray

Jul 19, 2007, 10:26:03 PM7/19/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 06:41:04 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
<gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:22:58 +0930, Michael Gray wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:15:00 -0400, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/
>nvit118.xml
>>>
>>>Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>>>

>>> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of
>>> time
>>>and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
>>>11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
>>>person.
>>
>> But Echinacia seems to be beneficial...
>
>Actually, that one was debunked some time ago...

Nope.
Last month in fact.

See a previous response to another doubter which refers to a study
published in "The Lancet".

Michael Gray

Jul 19, 2007, 10:27:26 PM7/19/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 18:08:57 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
<gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:04:27 -0400, Geoff wrote:
>
>> Mark K. Bilbo wrote:

>>> Actually, that one was debunked some time ago...
>>
>> What about those zinc tabs like Cold-Eze?
>
>Nope.
>
>It's all marketing fluff.

Are you going to tell the publishers of "The Lancet"??

Michael Gray

Jul 19, 2007, 10:28:27 PM7/19/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:32:21 GMT, Ash <ash.a...@virgin.net> wrote:

>Michael Gray wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 00:15:00 -0400, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit118.xml
>>>
>>> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>>>

>>> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of time
>>> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
>>> 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
>>> person.
>>
>> But Echinacia seems to be beneficial...
>Where does it say that

Journal reference: Lancet Infectious Diseases (vol 7, p 473)

>> Researchers continue to examine vitamin C alone and in combination with other vitamins and substances, such as echinacea, to examine if it is of any use in preventing and treating diseases and conditions, including cancer.
>
>Is the only mention I saw

http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/dn12126-echinacea-may-halve-the-risk-of-catching-cold.html

Michael Gray

Jul 19, 2007, 10:29:32 PM7/19/07

And that proves what, exactly?

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2007, 11:07:51 PM7/19/07
Michael Gray <mike...@newsguy.com> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Michael Gray <mike...@newsguy.com> wrote
>>> Wilson <wil...@universal.com> wrote

>>> But Echinacia seems to be beneficial...

>> Easy to claim. Hell of a lot harder to actually substantiate that claim.

> Oh, ye of little faith.
> As a scientist, I would not make such a claim if I could not back it up!

We'll see!!!

> http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/dn12126-echinacea-may-halve-the-risk-of-catching-cold.html

> Echinacea may halve the risk of catching cold
> 11:58 25 June 2007
> NewScientist.com news service

This is the shit rag that made such a spectacular fool of itself about spontaneous human combustion.

> Roxanne Khamsi

> A wide-ranging survey of studies involving echinacea suggests that the
> herbal supplement can reduce the risk of catching a cold by about 60%.

The same claims have appeared in that shit rag about Vitamin C too.

<reams of unsubstantiated claims flushed where they belong>

Rod Speed

Jul 19, 2007, 11:10:39 PM7/19/07

That his claim about what he takes proves absolutely nothing, cretin.

William Souden

Jul 19, 2007, 11:14:18 PM7/19/07
Rod Speed says he never gets colds. Here is why that might be true:

The most common way of getting a cold is from contact with a person who
has a cold, either someone at work or a friend.

Jon v Leipzig

Jul 20, 2007, 5:20:14 AM7/20/07

That's probably correct, considering few people take grams of C daily.
In cherry-picking these "studies" they considered as low as 200 mg as a
possible therapeutic dose. Hardly enuf for a lab rat, imo.

This non-profit group, Chochrane.org , has 130 articles on vit C. Safe
bet almost all are negative or inconclusive. (check their corporate
sponsorship)

Jon v Leipzig

Jul 20, 2007, 5:28:44 AM7/20/07

I've only had one experience taking large doses after experiencing
symptoms resembling cold/flu coming on. To weak to get out of bed,
someone brought me 1000mg chewable wafers. Took 2 every hour at first,
than tapered down. To my surprise, the very next day I felt my strength
returning.

For prevention, I take nothing at all. This incident caused to begin to
take up Health as a hobby. Haven't been sick since the late
90's.

Jon v Leipzig

Jul 20, 2007, 5:39:01 AM7/20/07

Was a book on that written 30 years ago. The $$Big Bucks$$ cancer
industry isn't interested. Oncologists are indentured to their WMD's.
Who's going to pay them thousands of dollars for administering a
course of IV vitamin C...??

Jon v Leipzig

Jul 20, 2007, 5:40:47 AM7/20/07
Wilson wrote:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit118.xml

> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>

> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of time
> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
> 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
> person.

CURES FOR THE COMMON COLD OR THE FLU

http://www.vitamincfoundation.org/surefire.htm

VITAMIN C IN THE PREVENTION OF COLDS
(from Australia 1941)

as http://shorterlink.com/?6V6QXC

Cold remedies that really work

http://shorterlink.com/?ED9YGK

Linus Pauling
http://www.internetwks.com/pauling/

Clinical Guide to the Use of Vitamin C

http://shorterlink.com/?YX2AJ8

AscorbateWeb

http://www.seanet.com/~alexs/ascorbate

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 5:44:12 AM7/20/07
Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com> wrote:
> snex wrote:
>> On Jul 18, 11:15 pm, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit1...
>>>
>>> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>>>
>>> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste
>>> of time and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies
>>> involving more than 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had
>>> no effect on the average person.
>>
>> everybody knows vitamin C only cures cancer, DUH.

> Was a book on that written 30 years ago.

Pity it was a steaming turd.

> The $$Big Bucks$$ cancer industry isn't interested.

Because it was a steaming turd.

> Oncologists are indentured to their WMD's. Who's going to pay them thousands of dollars for
> administering a course of IV vitamin C...??

Pity that those who do that anyway die anyway.

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 5:51:38 AM7/20/07
Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com> wrote:

Pity that that study at the top blows all this shit completely out of the water.

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 5:53:02 AM7/20/07
Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com> wrote:

The technical term for that is 'pathetically inadequate sample'

> For prevention, I take nothing at all. This incident caused to begin
> to take up Health as a hobby. Haven't been sick since the late 90's.

Plenty of others that didnt bother havent been either.

Michael Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 7:23:36 AM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 13:07:51 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

Oh dear.
A head-in-the-sand uneducated ignoramus.

"Rod Speed" flushed into my plonk file where he belongs...

Michael Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 7:26:24 AM7/20/07

(For that is the so-called "shit rag" that the obdurate cretin Mr.
Speed was disparaging.)

William Wingstedt

Jul 20, 2007, 7:58:49 AM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:44:12 +1000, "Rod Speed"
<rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com> wrote:
>> snex wrote:

>>> everybody knows vitamin C only cures cancer, DUH.
>
>> Was a book on that written 30 years ago.
>
>Pity it was a steaming turd.
>
>> The $$Big Bucks$$ cancer industry isn't interested.
>
>Because it was a steaming turd.

When it seems like everything is a steaming turd, it's a good sign you
need your diapers changed.

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 20, 2007, 8:27:17 AM7/20/07

Zinc may have some effectiveness but I haven't seen a medical expert yet
that hasn't pointed out that obtaining vitamens via vegetables is
immensely better than any pill. Further, much of what's on the market is
dreck. At least in the US, the suppliment market is totally unregulated
and you can put pretty much anything into a bottle and call it anything
you want.

The bottom line being your mother was right, eat your veggies...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"Come to think of it, there are already a million monkeys
on a million typewriters, and the Usenet is NOTHING
like Shakespeare!" - Blair Houghton

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 20, 2007, 8:47:03 AM7/20/07

That's a meta-study. I'd be leery of jumping on a bandwagon with only a
meda-study holding it up. Especially not when double-blind trials are
showing no effect.

The suppliment bunch retorted with, "The traditional scientific model
does not always apply to dietary supplements..."

http://tinyurl.com/yvlpyb

Which sounds a lot like faith to me...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"Warned you we tried! Listen you did not! Now screwed
we will all be!"

http://www.sequentialpictures.com/moviestarwarsepisode3.html

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 20, 2007, 9:52:30 AM7/20/07

we used to get colds every year.

Ben Kaufman

Jul 20, 2007, 10:34:34 AM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 05:10:58 +1000, "Rod Speed" <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 09:04:27 -0400, "Geoff" <geb...@yahoo.nospam.com>
>> wrote:

>>> What about those zinc tabs like Cold-Eze?
>>>

>> That one is somewhat effective.
>
>Nope.
>
>> They did controlled tests.
>
>Nope.

According to my box of Cold-Eeze it says,

"shown to be effective in reducing the severity of symptoms by 42% and duration
by 3 to 4 days in two double blind placebo controlled clinical studies.
Cleveland Clinic Mossad et al., Annals of Internal Medicien, Vol. 125, No 2 July
15, 1996 and Dartmouth College Godfrey et al., Journal of International Medical
Research, Vol. 20 No 3, June 1992.

http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/125/2/81
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=1397668&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

And this one reports mixed results.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=9475824&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

Ben

Ben Kaufman

Jul 20, 2007, 10:37:47 AM7/20/07
On Thu, 19 Jul 2007 20:17:36 GMT, "AllEmailDeletedImmediately"
<der...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Conspiracy of Doves" <mark...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Jul 19, 12:15 am, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com> wrote:
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit1...
>>>

>>> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>>>
>>> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of
>>> time
>>> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
>>> 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
>>> person.
>

>not true. wonder what mgs were tested. it used to be that when i felt
>a cold/flu
>coming on, i'd load up on vit c--20 GRAMS or so. knocked it right out.
>no
>nothing. i even tested it once and let myself get to feeling sick, just to
>be sure i
>was going to get sick, and same thing. gone in a day or two.
>
>now i just take garlic and echinacea and i NEVER get sick. neither does
>dh.

20 grams? That would knock everything out of me :-)

Ben

Ben Kaufman

Jul 20, 2007, 10:52:38 AM7/20/07

That he's never French kissed Cortney Love. :-)

Ben

AllEmailDeletedImmediately

Jul 20, 2007, 12:08:13 PM7/20/07

"Ben Kaufman" <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote in message

the initial dose only. it can cause the runs.

clams casino

Jul 20, 2007, 1:13:04 PM7/20/07
Ben Kaufman wrote:

>According to my box of Cold-Eeze it says,
>
>"shown to be effective in reducing the severity of symptoms by 42% and duration
>by 3 to 4 days in two double blind placebo controlled clinical studies.
>Cleveland Clinic Mossad et al., Annals of Internal Medicien, Vol. 125, No 2 July
>15, 1996 and Dartmouth College Godfrey et al., Journal of International Medical
>Research, Vol. 20 No 3, June 1992.
>
>http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/125/2/81
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=1397668&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum
>
>And this one reports mixed results.
>
>http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=9475824&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus
>
>Ben

Facts will mean nothing to speed.

He will simply reply something along the line of it being a a
pig-ignorant lie about a steaming turd in a wet paper bag.

suggestion -kill file him and move on.

345

Jul 20, 2007, 1:57:41 PM7/20/07

>> We'll see!!!

>>> http://www.newscientist.com/channel/health/dn12126-echinacea-may-halve-the-risk-of-catching-cold.html

>>> Roxanne Khamsi

> Oh dear.

Oh cheap.

> A head-in-the-sand uneducated ignoramus.

Never ever could bullshit its way out of a wet paper bag.

> "Rod Speed" flushed into my plonk file where he belongs...

No one actually gives a flying red fuck what fools like you do or do not read, clown.

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 2:07:39 PM7/20/07
Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote

> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote
>> Ben Kaufman <spaXm-mXe-anXd-p...@pobox.com> wrote
>>> Geoff <geb...@yahoo.nospam.com> wrote

>>> That one is somewhat effective.

>> Nope.

>>> They did controlled tests.

>> Nope.

> According to my box of Cold-Eeze it says,

> "shown to be effective in reducing the severity of symptoms by 42%
> and duration by 3 to 4 days in two double blind placebo controlled
> clinical studies. Cleveland Clinic Mossad et al., Annals of Internal
> Medicien, Vol. 125, No 2 July 15, 1996 and Dartmouth College Godfrey
> et al., Journal of International Medical Research, Vol. 20 No 3, June 1992.

Pity about the other ones that showed no effect.

> http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/125/2/81
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=1397668&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

Pity that says the exact opposite of what you claim on the question of PREVENTING colds, what
was being discussed in the Vitamin C study. It had absolutely NO effect on PREVENTING colds at all.

> And this one reports mixed results.

> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=9475824&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

Same problem, that isnt even discussing what was being discussed, PREVENTING colds.

Sam Jones

Jul 20, 2007, 2:09:10 PM7/20/07

Lying, as always. I JUST said that about New Scientist.

The Lancet never ever had any article about spontaneous human combustion, fuckwit.

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 2:10:33 PM7/20/07

Pity that doing that hasnt been shown to PREVENT colds.

Vegetarians still get colds.

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 2:17:37 PM7/20/07

So did I.

Bit weird actually, the place I worked used to flog fertilizer sacks of oranges for peanuts to the
employees.

Someone else claimed that that was a good way to avoid getting colds and that he hadnt got
any after he started drinking the juice, so I did get them for a few years and did stop getting
colds. But got sick of juicing the damned oranges, so gave that up, and still didnt get any colds.

Interestingly we were both at about the same age when we stopped getting colds.

Ben Kaufman

Jul 20, 2007, 4:13:49 PM7/20/07

Wrong. Read the last sentence of the original message ".... had NO EFFECT on
the average person." No effect means it would not reducing symptoms and
duration either.

And before you try to say that is the wrong interpretation, read the article
"...For most people, the benefit of taking vitamin C supplements is so slight
when it comes to colds that it is not worth the effort or expense, the authors
say. ..."

Ben

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 4:34:57 PM7/20/07

>>> http://www.annals.org/cgi/content/full/125/2/81
>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?db=pubmed&cmd=Retrieve&dopt=AbstractPlus&list_uids=1397668&query_hl=3&itool=pubmed_docsum

>>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=9475824&ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

> Wrong.

Nope.

> Read the last sentence of the original message
> ".... had NO EFFECT on the average person."

Pity about the first sentence which clearly says
"Taking vitamin C supplements TO PREVENT a cold

is a waste of time and money, say researchers."

> No effect means it would not reducing symptoms and duration either.

Wrong when the first sentence which clearly says
"Taking vitamin C supplements TO PREVENT a cold

is a waste of time and money, say researchers"

Its clearly talking about no effect on PREVENTING
a cold, not on the symptoms after you get one.

> And before you try to say that is the wrong interpretation,

Your clearly is just that.

> read the article "...For most people, the benefit of taking
> vitamin C supplements is so slight when it comes to colds
> that it is not worth the effort or expense, the authors say. ..."

Different matter entirely to PREVENTING a cold.

That study you cited actually says very unambiguously
that zinc does NOTHING to PREVENT a cold.

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 20, 2007, 6:31:02 PM7/20/07

Well, other than being irrelevant, that's certainly uninteresting.

My point is that whatever effectiveness any vitamen has, supplimentation
is the least effective way of obtaining it. Particularly given the
totally deregulated nature of the suppliment industry. There's nothing at
all to make them actually put in the bottle what they claim on the
label...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"What the hell is an aluminum Falcon?"

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 6:53:01 PM7/20/07
Mark K. Bilbo <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Mark K. Bilbo <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote
>>> Michael Gray wrote

>>> Zinc may have some effectiveness but I haven't seen a medical
>>> expert yet that hasn't pointed out that obtaining vitamens via
>>> vegetables is immensely better than any pill. Further, much of
>>> what's on the market is dreck. At least in the US, the suppliment
>>> market is totally unregulated and you can put pretty much
>>> anything into a bottle and call it anything you want.

>>> The bottom line being your mother was right, eat your veggies...

>> Pity that doing that hasnt been shown to PREVENT colds.

>> Vegetarians still get colds.

> Well, other than being irrelevant,

Nope, prevention of colds is clearly what was being discussed.

> that's certainly uninteresting.

Pathetic.

> My point is that whatever effectiveness any vitamen has,
> supplimentation is the least effective way of obtaining it.

Irrelevant when its clearly been shown that Vitamin
C in any form DOES NOT PREVENT COLDS.

> Particularly given the totally deregulated nature of the
> suppliment industry. There's nothing at all to make them
> actually put in the bottle what they claim on the label...

Pity that with Vitamin C that they do have vitamin C in them anyway, AND ITS
CLEARLY BEEN SHOWN THAT VITAMIN C IN ANY FORM DOESNT PREVENT COLDS.

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 20, 2007, 8:27:10 PM7/20/07

Yeah that explains that Subject line up there huh?

>> that's certainly uninteresting.
>
> Pathetic.
>
>> My point is that whatever effectiveness any vitamen has,
>> supplimentation is the least effective way of obtaining it.
>
> Irrelevant when its clearly been shown that Vitamin C in any form DOES
> NOT PREVENT COLDS.
>
>> Particularly given the totally deregulated nature of the suppliment
>> industry. There's nothing at all to make them actually put in the
>> bottle what they claim on the label...
>
> Pity that with Vitamin C that they do have vitamin C in them anyway, AND
> ITS CLEARLY BEEN SHOWN THAT VITAMIN C IN ANY FORM DOESNT PREVENT COLDS.

That's nice.

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"Behold the foul stench of Skeletor's breakfast burrito!"

William Souden

Jul 20, 2007, 8:31:39 PM7/20/07
Sam Jones wrote:

> The Lancet never ever had any article about spontaneous human combustion, fuckwit.

Welfare boy using a new name as more people have killfiled him.

William Souden

Jul 20, 2007, 8:32:24 PM7/20/07
Rod Speed wrote:

>> The bottom line being your mother was right, eat your veggies...
>
> Pity that doing that hasnt been shown to PREVENT colds.
>
> Vegetarians still get colds.

But a minute ago (literally) you were sam jones.

Rod Speed

Jul 20, 2007, 8:51:02 PM7/20/07

Irrelevant to what the cited article was clearly about.

>>> that's certainly uninteresting.

>> Pathetic.

>>> My point is that whatever effectiveness any vitamen has,
>>> supplimentation is the least effective way of obtaining it.

>> Irrelevant when its clearly been shown that Vitamin C
>> in any form DOES NOT PREVENT COLDS.

>>> Particularly given the totally deregulated nature of the
>>> suppliment industry. There's nothing at all to make them
>>> actually put in the bottle what they claim on the label...

>> Pity that with Vitamin C that they do have vitamin C in them anyway, AND ITS CLEARLY
>> BEEN SHOWN THAT VITAMIN C IN ANY FORM DOESNT PREVENT COLDS.

> That's nice.

That's pathetic.

Ben Kaufman

Jul 20, 2007, 9:08:16 PM7/20/07

That's correct, as I said, zinc is somewhat effective against colds..

Ben

Michael Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 9:20:35 PM7/20/07

Excellent advice, judging by my limited interaction with the insane
maniac to date.

William Souden

Jul 20, 2007, 9:19:03 PM7/20/07
Rod Speed wrote:

> That's pathetic.

Not as p0athetic as you posing as yourself and then sam jones in
under a minute,welfare boy.

Michael Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 9:22:56 PM7/20/07
On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 00:32:24 GMT, William Souden <sou...@nospam.com>
wrote:

A minute ago he was still insane, too.

Michael Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 9:25:10 PM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 07:47:03 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
<gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:

Which is a VERY strong pointer that the Scientific Results reflect
reality!

Whenever you hear that, it is RED FLAG time.
They said exactly the same thing after each abject and utter failure
of Homeopathy under "reality" conditions.

Michael Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 9:26:06 PM7/20/07

Oh, please!
I had just finished breakfast and I want it to stay down.

Michael Gray

Jul 20, 2007, 9:26:47 PM7/20/07
On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 11:58:49 GMT, William_...@comcast.net
(William Wingstedt) wrote:

>On Fri, 20 Jul 2007 19:44:12 +1000, "Rod Speed"
><rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Jon v Leipzig <J...@myday.com> wrote:

>>> Was a book on that written 30 years ago.
>>
>>Pity it was a steaming turd.
>>
>>> The $$Big Bucks$$ cancer industry isn't interested.
>>
>>Because it was a steaming turd.
>
>When it seems like everything is a steaming turd, it's a good sign you
>need your diapers changed.

Or moved to the head region.

Rod Speed

Jul 21, 2007, 12:13:27 AM7/21/07

>>> Wrong.

>> Nope.

Pity what was clearly being discussed was PREVENTION of colds.

You made a VERY spectacular fool of yourself indeed when you couldnt even
manage to read and comprehend what is a VERY simple first sentence in the quote.

Ben Kaufman

Jul 21, 2007, 1:19:56 AM7/21/07

No, it's pretty clear you have very poor reading comprehension and an inability
to communicate in a constructive manner.

Ben

Rod Speed

Jul 21, 2007, 1:30:41 AM7/21/07

> No,

Yep.

> it's pretty clear you have very poor reading comprehension

Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.

> and an inability to communicate in a constructive manner.

Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 21, 2007, 8:39:01 AM7/21/07

Dingleberry, the topic is whatever the people in the thread are talking
about.

Sheesh.

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"You know, I'd get it if people were just looking for a
way to fill the holes. But they want the holes. They wanna
live in the holes. And they go nuts when someone else
pours dirt in their holes.

"Climb out of your holes people!"

- Dr. House, on faith

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 21, 2007, 8:44:30 AM7/21/07

I'm not jumping either way on this one, the studies are too conflicted.
But I'm leery of the suppliment industry. It's an industry riddled with
snake oil. Which is why a vitamen or herb can be effective but
suppliments are still useless. At least here in the US, nobody's making
them put anything in the bottle that has anything to do with what's on
the label.

Plus, we in the US are too obsessed with magic bullets. We wanna pop a
pill, not have to, oh, eat right or something extreme like that...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"Warned you we tried! Listen you did not! Now screwed
we will all be!"

http://www.sequentialpictures.com/moviestarwarsepisode3.html

Martin Phipps

Jul 21, 2007, 8:54:19 AM7/21/07
> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>
> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of time
> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
> 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
> person.

This is misleading. It is often found that supplements have no effect
whereas vitamins and minerals from actual food have the desired
effect, the problem being that the supplements may not fully disolve
in the stomach and the nutrients can pass through the body to no
effect.

Martin

Rod Speed

Jul 21, 2007, 2:48:20 PM7/21/07

Wrong, as always.

> Sheesh.

Rod Speed

Jul 21, 2007, 2:50:13 PM7/21/07

And there is nothing you can do that will ensure that you never get colds
except stay away from everyone on some desert island or lighthouse etc,
and thats not a very practical approach for the vast bulk of people.

Rod Speed

Jul 21, 2007, 2:52:49 PM7/21/07
Martin Phipps <martin...@yahoo.com> wrote
> Wilson <wil...@universal.com> wrote

>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit1...

Pity that the whole point of the article is that most get enough Vitamin C
in their diets so that they dont need any supplements, so how well the
supplements are absorbed is completely irrelevant to preventing colds.

Jul 21, 2007, 3:05:52 PM7/21/07
Click here: Vitamin C useless in combatting colds - alt.atheism |
Google Groups

On Jul 19, 12:15 am, "Wilson" <wil...@universal.com> wrote:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit1...
>
> Vitamin C useless in combatting colds
>
> a.. Taking vitamin C supplements to prevent a cold is a waste of time
> and money, say researchers. A review of 30 studies involving more than
> 11,000 people found that taking the tablets had no effect on the average
> person.

Don't know.

I do know vit c is in fruits and I feel better when I eat a balanced
diet including fruits.

Take care,

V (Male)

Agnostic Freethinker
Practical Philosopher
AA#2

Kelsey Bjarnason

Jul 22, 2007, 1:42:28 PM7/22/07
[snips]

On Sat, 21 Jul 2007 15:30:41 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

> Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.
>
>> and an inability to communicate in a constructive manner.
>
> Never ever could bullshit and lie its way out of a wet paper bag.

Awright, that does it. The fact you've been reduce to this *again* and
seem to have nothing better to offer when you get bitch-slapped means
you're no longer worth the time to read. Good bye.

345

Jul 22, 2007, 4:32:04 PM7/22/07
Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjar...@gmail.com> wrote

> Awright, that does it. The fact you've been reduce to this *again*
> and seem to have nothing better to offer when you get bitch-slapped

Just another of your pathetic little drug crazed fantasys.

> means you're no longer worth the time to read. Good bye.

No one give a flying red fuck what fools like you do or do not claim to read.

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 22, 2007, 10:08:18 PM7/22/07

This from the guy who is screaming about vitamen C not preventing colds
when we were talking about zinc. And whether supplimentation is an
effective way to otbain vitamens to begin with.

But, well, don't let *that* stop you...

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 22, 2007, 10:09:23 PM7/22/07

Dear dimwit,

WE ALREADY KNOW THAT.

Sheesh.

Reading comprehension, try it...

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

"You believe in a book that has talking animals, wizards,
witches, demons, sticks turning into snakes, food falling
from the sky, people walking on water, and all sorts of magical,
absurd and primitive stories, and you say that *we* are the
ones that need help?" - Jon Stoll

teleflora

Jul 22, 2007, 10:43:00 PM7/22/07
Hey, come on back when they present evidence that cigarette smoking is
actually good for ya, OK?

Cindy> 5 years smoke free and REALLY craving a cigarette this weekend.

"Wilson" <wil...@universal.com> wrote in message
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nvit118.xml

William Souden

Jul 22, 2007, 10:52:50 PM7/22/07
How many names has welfare Rod used in this thread? his own, "sam
jones" and the so clever "1,2,3".

Rod Speed

Jul 23, 2007, 12:09:43 AM7/23/07

>> Wrong, as always.

You're lying, as always.

> And whether supplimentation is an effective
> way to otbain vitamens to begin with.

You're lying, as always.

> But, well, don't let *that* stop you...

None of your shit ever does.

Rod Speed

Jul 23, 2007, 12:12:32 AM7/23/07
Mark K. Bilbo <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> Mark K. Bilbo <gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote
>>> Michael Gray wrote

> Dear dimwit,

Cheap fuckwit,

> WE ALREADY KNOW THAT.

YOUR SHIT IN SPADES.

> Sheesh.

Pfffttt.

> Reading comprehension, try it...

Work on your lines....

Michael Gray

Jul 23, 2007, 6:35:26 AM7/23/07
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 21:09:23 -0500, "Mark K. Bilbo"
<gm...@com.mkbilbo> wrote:

The "comprehension" was superfluous.

Michael Gray

Jul 23, 2007, 6:37:06 AM7/23/07
On Sun, 22 Jul 2007 19:52:50 -0700, William Souden <sou...@nospam.com>
wrote:

> How many names has welfare Rod used in this thread? his own, "sam
>jones" and the so clever "1,2,3".

How do we know that you are not another sock-puppet?
All you have to do is to say something sane, erudite, and adult after
the tone:

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 23, 2007, 9:07:17 AM7/23/07

Okay, fruit cup, the killfile is that way...

345

Jul 23, 2007, 2:25:47 PM7/23/07

Fat lot of good that will do you, fuckwit.

William Souden

Jul 23, 2007, 2:41:50 PM7/23/07
What a clever new name for Rod. No one will ever suspect it is
toilet boy.
Is 345 the amount of your monthly welfare stipend?

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 23, 2007, 5:55:24 PM7/23/07

yawn.

<plonk>

--
Mark K. Bilbo a.a. #1423
EAC Department of Linguistic Subversion

wwrrtt

Jul 23, 2007, 7:58:01 PM7/23/07

William Souden

Jul 23, 2007, 8:15:25 PM7/23/07
wwrrtt wrote:

> Fat lot of good that will do you, fuckwit.

How did we know this is welfare Rod using yet another name on this
thread.
What does "wwrrtt" stand for? Welfare whiner regularly reposts temper
tantrums?
Might be time to repost the Rod Speed work history.

Mark K. Bilbo

Jul 24, 2007, 11:00:09 AM7/24/07

Oh great, a nym shitter.

<plonk goes the whole ng>