Best GPS Units For Less Than $200!

drishaq

Oct 10, 2008, 8:04:56 AM10/10/08
There are quite a few excellent GPS units for under $200. Let's take a
look at a few of the best ones…
http://gadgetreviews.co.cc/Best_GPS_Units_For_Less_Than__200_.htm

Al Bundy

Oct 10, 2008, 4:20:09 PM10/10/08
On Oct 10, 8:04 am, drishaq <drishaqaz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are quite a few excellent GPS units for under $200.

I liked it more when they were $300 and I could say I saved $300 by
not buying one. I know they help some people traveling or in the
woods, but I always try to know where I am at.

Vic Smith

Oct 10, 2008, 4:43:17 PM10/10/08

If they get to 20 bucks, I might get one. But only if I get a job
delivering pizzas.

--Vic

Rod Speed

Oct 10, 2008, 5:59:56 PM10/10/08
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote
> drishaq <drishaqaz...@gmail.com> wrote

>> There are quite a few excellent GPS units for under $200.

> I liked it more when they were $300 and I could say I saved $300 by not buying one.

More fool you.

> I know they help some people traveling or in the woods,

They're a hell of a lot more useful than just that.

> but I always try to know where I am at.

That aint the reason for them.

Al Bundy

Oct 10, 2008, 9:14:41 PM10/10/08
On Oct 10, 5:59 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Al Bundy <MSfort...@mcpmail.com> wrote

But I still have that $200 in my pocket where it looks better than his.

Rod Speed

Oct 10, 2008, 10:11:22 PM10/10/08
Al Bundy <MSfo...@mcpmail.com> wrote

>> More fool you.

More fool you.

> where it looks better than his.

More fool you.

timeOday

Oct 11, 2008, 5:28:17 PM10/11/08

If you travel for work, it sure is nice to use a gps when you arrive in
an unfamiliar city after dark and need to drive to your hotel.

curly'q

Oct 11, 2008, 9:22:05 PM10/11/08

I can't be the only geocacher on this group.....can I?

L.

The Real Bev

Oct 15, 2008, 10:39:38 PM10/15/08
timeOday wrote:

Or simply to find a business in an unfamiliar area, especially one on
the typical Main Street with lots of small shops. Around here
businesses seem to neglect putting numbers on their doors, which is
absolutely maddening. There are zoning regs/laws, of course, but
everybody ignores them.

This is especially nasty in local Asian areas :-(

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 1:28:24 AM10/16/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
> timeOday wrote:
>
>> Al Bundy wrote:
>>>
>>> I liked it more when they were $300 and I could say I saved $300 by
>>> not buying one. I know they help some people traveling or in the
>>> woods, but I always try to know where I am at.
>>
>> If you travel for work, it sure is nice to use a gps when you arrive
>> in an unfamiliar city after dark and need to drive to your hotel.
>
> Or simply to find a business in an unfamiliar area, especially one on
> the typical Main Street with lots of small shops. Around here
> businesses seem to neglect putting numbers on their doors, which is
> absolutely maddening. There are zoning regs/laws, of course, but
> everybody ignores them.
>
> This is especially nasty in local Asian areas :-(

In spades for yard sales. Leaves everything else for dead for those.

Havent found one that allows you to enter them all with
their start times and which will do the best routing tho.

It would also need to distinguish between the ones which have a full street
address which can safely be rocked up at well before the advertised start
time and the ones which just give the street and where there is more of a
problem with it not being possible to work out which house it is until they
put out the balloons/signs etc.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 4:35:06 PM10/16/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> timeOday wrote:

It would be pretty to think so.

I worked for Magellan when hand-held units were $2K and the size and
weight of white bricks. Those were more trouble to use than they were
worth, although boat-people loved them. Technology roolz.

>>> If you travel for work, it sure is nice to use a gps when you arrive
>>> in an unfamiliar city after dark and need to drive to your hotel.
>>
>> Or simply to find a business in an unfamiliar area, especially one on
>> the typical Main Street with lots of small shops. Around here
>> businesses seem to neglect putting numbers on their doors, which is
>> absolutely maddening. There are zoning regs/laws, of course, but
>> everybody ignores them.
>>
>> This is especially nasty in local Asian areas :-(
>
> In spades for yard sales. Leaves everything else for dead for those.
>
> Havent found one that allows you to enter them all with
> their start times and which will do the best routing tho.

That's why we have brains :-)

> It would also need to distinguish between the ones which have a full street
> address which can safely be rocked up at well before the advertised start
> time and the ones which just give the street and where there is more of a
> problem with it not being possible to work out which house it is until they
> put out the balloons/signs etc.

They don't do that too often here, although all the how-to articles say
to just publicize the block. We usually start out at 6:30 and aim for a
concentration of early sales. A typical Saturday's drive is 50 miles.

Making 11x14" copies of the relevant area from the AAA map to mark up
and throw away is essential.

--
Cheers, Bev
Just as you cannot explain snow to a summer insect, so also you cannot

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 6:51:04 PM10/16/08

I dont do as far as that usually, but then I'm in a smaller town than you.

> Making 11x14" copies of the relevant area from the AAA map to mark up and throw away is essential.

Wota dinosaur. The most I ever do is print the google maps page
for the ones in the new housing subdivisions that arent in the GPS.

Google maps is one hell of a resource, its even got the individual
house blocks in small towns like mine on the other side of the
world, and photos too now, tho I dont bother with the photos.

Havent worked out how to do that in the car for a viable price tho.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 8:15:01 PM10/16/08
Rod Speed wrote:

Not good enough. The area covered is roughly 10 miles x 5 miles and
google maps don't print worth shit on my system..

> Google maps is one hell of a resource, its even got the individual
> house blocks in small towns like mine on the other side of the
> world, and photos too now, tho I dont bother with the photos.
>
> Havent worked out how to do that in the car for a viable price tho.

Don't they have GPS attachments for laptops for $50US?

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 9:22:27 PM10/16/08

Time you tossed that system in the bin.

>> Google maps is one hell of a resource, its even got the individual
>> house blocks in small towns like mine on the other side of the
>> world, and photos too now, tho I dont bother with the photos.

>> Havent worked out how to do that in the car for a viable price tho.

> Don't they have GPS attachments for laptops for $50US?

Cheaper than that actually. That isnt the problem. The problem is the cost of cellphone net access.

Cant be justified for yard sales.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 10:41:59 PM10/16/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Rod Speed wrote:

>>> Wota dinosaur. The most I ever do is print the google maps page
>>> for the ones in the new housing subdivisions that arent in the
>>> GPS.
>
>> Not good enough. The area covered is roughly 10 miles x 5 miles
>> and google maps don't print worth shit on my system..
>
> Time you tossed that system in the bin.

Ridiculous, it works fine and I have a houseful of stuff to prove it,
including our little $1 Garmin eMap

>>> Google maps is one hell of a resource, its even got the
>>> individual house blocks in small towns like mine on the other
>>> side of the world, and photos too now, tho I dont bother with the
>>> photos.
>
>>> Havent worked out how to do that in the car for a viable price
>>> tho.
>
>> Don't they have GPS attachments for laptops for $50US?
>
> Cheaper than that actually. That isnt the problem. The problem is the
> cost of cellphone net access.
>
> Cant be justified for yard sales.

Clearly not, but why would you need cell access? You get the GPS
coordinates from the unit, which feeds it to the computer, which does
all the heavy lifting.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 10:51:59 PM10/16/08

To use google maps in the car, stupid.

> You get the GPS coordinates from the unit, which feeds it to the computer, which does all the heavy lifting.

Doesnt access google maps tho, stupid.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 11:27:16 PM10/16/08
Rod Speed wrote:

Why would you need google maps? What's wrong with the mapping software
that comes with GPS units which is updated more or less annually?
Nobody has anything like that available for use on a computer?

--
Cheers, Bev
"We thought about one of those discount store caskets, but, frankly,

Rod Speed

Oct 16, 2008, 11:31:09 PM10/16/08

Like I said, its always more up to date than the maps
in the GPS, particularly with new housing subdivisions.

> What's wrong with the mapping software that comes with GPS units which is updated more or less annually?

Annually is nothing like as good as google maps.

> Nobody has anything like that available for use on a computer?

No point in having that on a computer when you have a GPS with it on instead.

And yes, you can have it on the laptop if you're that stupid.

The Real Bev

Oct 16, 2008, 11:54:39 PM10/16/08
Rod Speed wrote:

>>> To use google maps in the car, stupid.

>>> Doesnt access google maps tho, stupid.
>>
>> Why would you need google maps?
>
> Like I said, its always more up to date than the maps in the GPS,
> particularly with new housing subdivisions.
>
>> What's wrong with the mapping software that comes with GPS units
>> which is updated more or less annually?
>
> Annually is nothing like as good as google maps.

There's such a thing as overkill. BTW, the google street views are much
newer than the overheads, which are in some cases two years old.

>> Nobody has anything like that available for use on a computer?
>
> No point in having that on a computer when you have a GPS with it on
> instead.

Look, we're trying to find an inexpensive GPS system -- under $50 added
to your existing laptop. I think we've done it.

> And yes, you can have it on the laptop if you're that stupid.

Not stupid. Frugal.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2008, 4:53:06 AM10/17/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why would you need google maps?
>>
>> Like I said, its always more up to date than the maps in the GPS,
>> particularly with new housing subdivisions.
>>
>>> What's wrong with the mapping software that comes with GPS units
>>> which is updated more or less annually?
>>
>> Annually is nothing like as good as google maps.

> There's such a thing as overkill.

I much prefer to be able to find a yard in a new subdivision thanks.

> BTW, the google street views are much newer than the overheads, which are in some cases two years old.

I never use the overheads for yard sales.

>>> Nobody has anything like that available for use on a computer?

>> No point in having that on a computer when you have a GPS with it on instead.

> Look, we're trying to find an inexpensive GPS system

Only a GPS makes any sense in a car when tearing around to yard sales.

> -- under $50 added to your existing laptop. I think we've done it.

Pity about the fact that a real GPS is a hell of a lot more convenient to use.

>> And yes, you can have it on the laptop if you're that stupid.

> Not stupid. Frugal.

Just stupid.

The Real Bev

Oct 17, 2008, 5:28:56 PM10/17/08
Rod Speed wrote:

>>> Annually is nothing like as good as google maps.
>
>> There's such a thing as overkill.
>
> I much prefer to be able to find a yard in a new subdivision thanks.

People in new subdivisions generally don't have much to get rid of at
bargain prices; they got rid of their stuff before they moved.
Moreover, there aren't all that many new subdivisions here any more;
there's one right up the street, but it's a gated enclave of $1million+
houses and yard sales are probably prohibited in the HOA.

>> BTW, the google street views are much newer than the overheads, which are in some cases two years old.
>
> I never use the overheads for yard sales.

Consider the possibility that, having lived in the area for over 45
years, we're familiar with most of the streets. Not that we don't get
surprises every once in a while, but it's not worth going to a lot of
trouble to avoid them.

You mean you feed in every single sale as a waypoint? We may have 30
sales to visit, sometimes many more. What's your typical number?

>>> No point in having that on a computer when you have a GPS with it on instead.
>
>> Look, we're trying to find an inexpensive GPS system
>
> Only a GPS makes any sense in a car when tearing around to yard sales.

Perhaps, if you are unfamiliar with the area. Given that all the
freeways in North Carolina look exactly alike, I think a GPS would be
pretty damn essential there; not here.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2008, 7:06:58 PM10/17/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote

>>> There's such a thing as overkill.

>> I much prefer to be able to find a yard in a new subdivision thanks.

> People in new subdivisions generally don't have much to get rid of at bargain prices;

Oh bullshit. In spades with all the mortgage defaults.

> they got rid of their stuff before they moved.

Pure fantasy.

> Moreover, there aren't all that many new subdivisions here any more;
> there's one right up the street, but it's a gated enclave of
> $1million+ houses and yard sales are probably prohibited in the HOA.

We arent stupid enough to have any HOAs and we're still getting plenty of new subdivisions.

Just had a problem which needed google maps this morning.

The GPS was way out on the location of a big place thats well out of the small village
in a new subdivision. The house wasnt part of the new subdivision but the new subdivision
had produced a bizarre mess with house numbering. The pre subdivision numbering is
farm number based and the GPS was a good couple of miles out.

Needless to say they didnt have anything worth buying when I did eventually find it
because they had put the balloons out half an hour after I started looking for it.

>>> BTW, the google street views are much newer than the overheads,
>>> which are in some cases two years old.

>> I never use the overheads for yard sales.

> Consider the possibility that, having lived in the area for over 45 years, we're familiar with most of the streets.
> Not that we don't get surprises every once in a while, but it's not worth going to a lot of trouble to avoid them.

No trouble involved in using google maps.

> You mean you feed in every single sale as a waypoint?

No, as a destination.

> We may have 30 sales to visit, sometimes many more. What's your typical number?

Varys with the season. We're just into spring and there were only 10 today, 2 of no interest.

It can get up to about your 30 when it peaks.

>>> Look, we're trying to find an inexpensive GPS system

>> Only a GPS makes any sense in a car when tearing around to yard sales.

> Perhaps, if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Its not so much unfamiliar with the area as not knowing where all the smaller streets are.

We dont have your very long streets, there's a lot more much
smaller ones and street numbers rarely get over 100 in any street.

> Given that all the freeways in North Carolina look exactly alike, I think a GPS would be pretty damn essential there;
> not here.

It isnt the freeways that are the problem here, we dont even have any.

The problem is that the streets are laid out so few of the houses are on
major traffic routes, they're on smaller streets off them on the whole.

The big advantage of the GPS over a laptop is that its just a hell
of lot more convenient on the dash than a laptop can ever be.

I dont even attach it to anything, just pick it up and enter the new address
just before driving off from the previous stop, before I start the engine.

Even just with street numbers, its a hell of a lot easier to have the GPS
put you right outside the house than to fart around looking for street numbers.

The Real Bev

Oct 17, 2008, 9:07:11 PM10/17/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

>> People in new subdivisions generally don't have much to get rid of

>> at bargain prices;
>
> Oh bullshit. In spades with all the mortgage defaults.

Not really. Those people are trying to raise significant amounts of
cash, not declutter. We went to one estate sale where everything was a
quarter. Shoes, washing machine, dishes, cameras... He just wanted the
stuff to move. Excellent sale, but he didn't have anything we wanted.

>> they got rid of their stuff before they moved.
>
> Pure fantasy.
>
>> Moreover, there aren't all that many new subdivisions here any
>> more; there's one right up the street, but it's a gated enclave of
>> $1million+ houses and yard sales are probably prohibited in the
>> HOA.
>
> We arent stupid enough to have any HOAs and we're still getting
> plenty of new subdivisions.

I seem to remember hearing that Oz has an awful lot of empty space, even
in the suburbs. Gotta go pretty far out before you find enough room for
a new subdivision. At the peak it would have been stupid to put up a
cheap house rather than an expensive house, and people who buy expensive
houses want their "investment" protected from slobs who like purple paint.

My guess is that Americans are becoming so timid that they're willing to
give up a lot for the privilege of anonymously reporting the neighbor's
clothesline to The Association rather than personally trying to convince
the clothesline owner to take it down because it makes the neighborhood
look low-class.

> Just had a problem which needed google maps this morning.
>
> The GPS was way out on the location of a big place thats well out of
> the small village in a new subdivision. The house wasnt part of the
> new subdivision but the new subdivision had produced a bizarre mess
> with house numbering. The pre subdivision numbering is farm number
> based and the GPS was a good couple of miles out.
>
> Needless to say they didnt have anything worth buying when I did
> eventually find it because they had put the balloons out half an hour
> after I started looking for it.

Win some, lose some, but the percentages are in your favor.

>>> I never use the overheads for yard sales.
>
>> Consider the possibility that, having lived in the area for over 45
>> years, we're familiar with most of the streets. Not that we don't
>> get surprises every once in a while, but it's not worth going to a
>> lot of trouble to avoid them.
>
> No trouble involved in using google maps.
>
>> You mean you feed in every single sale as a waypoint?
>
> No, as a destination.

Whatever. Seems like way more trouble than it's worth.

>> We may have 30 sales to visit, sometimes many more. What's your
>> typical number?
>
> Varys with the season. We're just into spring and there were only 10
> today, 2 of no interest.

Hardly worth going out. We rode our bicycles to one, where I bought a
couple of <shudder> Starbuck's 25th-Anniversary toe-die t-shirts for a
quarter each. I like bright colors, which balances out the fact that
I've never bought anything EVER at a Starbuck's.

> It can get up to about your 30 when it peaks.

>>> Only a GPS makes any sense in a car when tearing around to yard
>>> sales.
>
>> Perhaps, if you are unfamiliar with the area.
>
> Its not so much unfamiliar with the area as not knowing where all the
> smaller streets are.

Er, I think that's the definition of "unfamiliar".

> We dont have your very long streets, there's a lot more much smaller
> ones and street numbers rarely get over 100 in any street.

Cities each have their own numbering system, but the County areas
between cities go up into 5 digits. I think the zero point is the LA
County Courthouse in Los Angeles, but it's not really all that clear.

>> Given that all the freeways in North Carolina look exactly alike, I
>> think a GPS would be pretty damn essential there; not here.
>
> It isnt the freeways that are the problem here, we dont even have
> any.

Cheer up, you'll get some eventually.

> The problem is that the streets are laid out so few of the houses are
> on major traffic routes, they're on smaller streets off them on the
> whole.

Enviable. I live on the on-ramp street 1/4 mile from the freeway.
Convenient, of course, but very noisy.

> The big advantage of the GPS over a laptop is that its just a hell of
> lot more convenient on the dash than a laptop can ever be.

Of course. BTW, what kind do you have and can you use it on an
airplane? If so, do you have to choose the north side of the plane?

> I dont even attach it to anything, just pick it up and enter the new
> address just before driving off from the previous stop, before I
> start the engine.

I think a beanbag would be nice if it could be stuck to a seriously
slanted surface in some way. It's illegal to stick anything to your
windshield here.

> Even just with street numbers, its a hell of a lot easier to have the
> GPS put you right outside the house than to fart around looking for
> street numbers.

Exactly, but that's really only a problem in business-area traffic where
you have a choice of watching the road or trying to figure out (not
actually see) the addresses.

--
Cheers, Bev
His men would follow him anywhere, but only out of morbid curiosity.

Rod Speed

Oct 17, 2008, 10:01:09 PM10/17/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

>>> People in new subdivisions generally don't have much to get rid of at bargain prices;

>> Oh bullshit. In spades with all the mortgage defaults.

> Not really.

Yes, really. Thats where most of the defaulters are.

> Those people are trying to raise significant amounts of cash, not declutter.

Plenty of them just want to reduce what they have to move when they move out.

> We went to one estate sale where everything was a quarter. Shoes, washing machine, dishes, cameras... He just wanted
> the stuff to move. Excellent sale, but he didn't have anything we wanted.

That sort of unusual approach is nothing like typical.

>>> they got rid of their stuff before they moved.

>> Pure fantasy.

>>> Moreover, there aren't all that many new subdivisions here any
>>> more; there's one right up the street, but it's a gated enclave of
>>> $1million+ houses and yard sales are probably prohibited in the HOA.

>> We arent stupid enough to have any HOAs and we're still getting plenty of new subdivisions.

> I seem to remember hearing that Oz has an awful lot of empty space, even in the suburbs.

Depends on what you mean by empty space. The most
we have is rather more parks etc than you lot have.

I deliberately chose my block of land next to one of those and dont
have a fence between me and it, so it feels like its all my land when
it isnt and they mow the whole thing with a big mower on a full sized
tractor. I turn the built in sprinklers on for them.

> Gotta go pretty far out before you find enough room for a new subdivision.

Thats true in spades of our capital citys. I'm not
in one of those, a town with a population of 25K.

> At the peak it would have been stupid to put up a cheap house rather than an expensive house, and people who buy
> expensive houses want their "investment" protected from slobs who like purple paint.

We arent stupid enough to let goons like that have any say on what color
I can paint my house, even where the most expensive houses are.

> My guess is that Americans are becoming so timid that they're willing to give up a lot for the privilege of
> anonymously reporting the neighbor's clothesline to The Association rather than personally
> trying to convince the clothesline owner to take it down because it
> makes the neighborhood look low-class.

Or they're stupid enough to let themselves get railroaded like that.

>> Just had a problem which needed google maps this morning.

>> The GPS was way out on the location of a big place thats well out of the small village in a new subdivision. The
>> house wasnt part of the new subdivision but the new subdivision had produced a bizarre mess with house numbering. The
>> pre subdivision numbering is farm number based and the GPS was a good couple of miles out.

>> Needless to say they didnt have anything worth buying when I did
>> eventually find it because they had put the balloons out half an hour
>> after I started looking for it.

> Win some, lose some, but the percentages are in your favor.

Yeah, just had a big win a coupla weekends ago that paid for a year's charging around.

Basically someone who didnt like the effort involved in home brewing who
got rid of all the PETs and barrel etc for about 5% of what he paid for them.

>>> Consider the possibility that, having lived in the area for over 45
>>> years, we're familiar with most of the streets. Not that we don't
>>> get surprises every once in a while, but it's not worth going to a
>>> lot of trouble to avoid them.

>> No trouble involved in using google maps.

>>> You mean you feed in every single sale as a waypoint?

>> No, as a destination.

> Whatever. Seems like way more trouble than it's worth.

It only takes a moment to punch in the address with a well designed GPS and
you dont have to fart around at all checking street numbers even if you do know
where the street is. I only know where about 20% of them are unaided.

>>> We may have 30 sales to visit, sometimes many more. What's your typical number?

>> Varys with the season. We're just into spring and there were only 10 today, 2 of no interest.

> Hardly worth going out.

I did get quite a bit of stuff. Some days like last weekend I got nothing
tho I should have got a brand new breadmaker for peanuts just to see
if it was any better than the 3 copys of the same model I have already
picked up for peanuts at previous yard sales.

Should really have got a generator today but every time I consider it, I think
about how long its been since I've had a power failure that I would have
bothered to start a generator for, and since thats years, I dont bother.

I'll likely kick myself when the next power failure occurs, since I cant record
digital TV when the mains isnt available and do record hours every evening.

> We rode our bicycles to one,

I cant ride a bike, fucked my knee so it doesnt bend well enough for riding a bike.

> where I bought a couple of <shudder> Starbuck's 25th-Anniversary toe-die t-shirts for a quarter each. I like bright
> colors, which balances out the fact that I've never bought anything EVER at a Starbuck's.

I dont ever buy clothes, I buy the cheapest chinese stuff new instead.

>> It can get up to about your 30 when it peaks.

>>> Perhaps, if you are unfamiliar with the area.

>> Its not so much unfamiliar with the area as not knowing where all the smaller streets are.

> Er, I think that's the definition of "unfamiliar".

Nope.

>> We dont have your very long streets, there's a lot more much smaller ones and street numbers rarely get over 100 in
>> any street.

> Cities each have their own numbering system,

Plenty of your citys have 4 digit street numbers.

Hardly any of ours do.

> but the County areas between cities go up into 5 digits. I think the zero point is the LA County Courthouse in Los
> Angeles, but it's not really all that clear.

>>> Given that all the freeways in North Carolina look exactly alike, I think a GPS would be pretty damn essential
>>> there; not here.

>> It isnt the freeways that are the problem here, we dont even have any.

> Cheer up, you'll get some eventually.

Nope, the town's too small for that. We have them in the big citys.

>> The problem is that the streets are laid out so few of the houses are
>> on major traffic routes, they're on smaller streets off them on the whole.

> Enviable. I live on the on-ramp street 1/4 mile from the freeway.
> Convenient, of course, but very noisy.

Yeah, I wouldnt live on one myself. My street only has <100
houses in it and you dont get any thru traffic at all on it.

>> The big advantage of the GPS over a laptop is that its just a hell of lot more convenient on the dash than a laptop
>> can ever be.

> Of course. BTW, what kind do you have

TomTom 710

> and can you use it on an airplane?

Yes. Its a tad bulky for that, the 725 is fine, it doesnt have the bulge at the back that the 710 has.

> If so, do you have to choose the north side of the plane?

Nope.

>> I dont even attach it to anything, just pick it up and enter the new address just before driving off from the
>> previous stop, before I start the engine.

> I think a beanbag would be nice if it could be stuck to a seriously slanted surface in some way.

My dash isnt seriously slanted, I use one of those rubber antiskid mat things.

> It's illegal to stick anything to your windshield here.

I can do that legally but dont, the glass is too far away and its much more convenient
to pick the GPS up off the dash when entering a new destination on the touch screen.

The dash is better for reading the screen when tearing
around too, particularly the distance to the next turn etc.

>> Even just with street numbers, its a hell of a lot easier to have the GPS put you right outside the house than to
>> fart around looking for street numbers.

> Exactly, but that's really only a problem in business-area traffic where you have a choice of watching the road or
> trying to figure out (not actually see) the addresses.

Nope, most here dont have very visible numbers on their houses.
I dont even have any at all myself and thats not uncommon.

root

Oct 18, 2008, 7:11:33 AM10/18/08
Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I dont even attach it to anything, just pick it up and enter the new address
> just before driving off from the previous stop, before I start the engine.

So you do the sequencing of the sites in your head?

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2008, 3:00:12 PM10/18/08

Yeah, basically.

Like I said, I havent found any GPS that will do the routing for you
and will allow for the difference between yard sales that do list a
full street address so you can find them before the official start time,
rather than the ones that just list the street name and use a sign
or balloons etc to indicate the specific house when they open.

And there is also the other variable of the start time that varys quite
a bit, and the other factor, how interesting what is advertised is to you.

It isnt that hard to do in your head when its a total of only say 30 at most.

hal...@aol.com

Oct 18, 2008, 7:07:31 PM10/18/08
my first GPS garmin C340 is still in use today, it just got back from
a 16 hour trip of my neighbors.

I paid over 600 bucks august 2 years ago it paid for itself in time
saved by a few months.

My business is repairing roll laminators mostly for schools within
about a 100 miles of pittsburgh. its revalutionized my day saves tons
of time.

My software is 3 revisions ago, I am looking to buy a brand new unit,
they are much more accurate and sensitivew.

HONESTLY ITS THE BEST PURCHASE I MADE IN THE LAST 20 YEARS

I charge 100 bucks a hour for actual work time. Which sounds high till
you hear my competitor charges 250 bucks for the first hour.........

The Real Bev

Oct 18, 2008, 11:10:35 PM10/18/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> root <NoE...@home.org> wrote:
>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> I dont even attach it to anything, just pick it up and enter the new address
>>> just before driving off from the previous stop, before I start the engine.

This extra time allows your competition just that much more time to get
there before you and snap up the exact thing you've been searching for
for MONTHS!

>> So you do the sequencing of the sites in your head?
>
> Yeah, basically.
>
> Like I said, I havent found any GPS that will do the routing for you
> and will allow for the difference between yard sales that do list a
> full street address so you can find them before the official start time,
> rather than the ones that just list the street name and use a sign
> or balloons etc to indicate the specific house when they open.
>
> And there is also the other variable of the start time that varys quite
> a bit, and the other factor, how interesting what is advertised is to you.
>
> It isnt that hard to do in your head when its a total of only say 30 at most.

We had 40 today. It takes 45 minutes to read the paper and mark the
map. The route changes during the day depending on a number of factors
which can't be anticipated beforehand. Cancellations are especially
annoying.

Proper strategy includes arriving at a good sale before the competition,
most of whom buy for resale, while minimizing the total driving distance.

And some people think this stuff is EASY!

--
Cheers, Bev
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity

Rod Speed

Oct 18, 2008, 11:41:46 PM10/18/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> root <NoE...@home.org> wrote
>>> Rod Speed <rod.sp...@gmail.com> wrote

> This extra time allows your competition just that much more time to get there before you and snap up the exact thing
> you've been searching for for MONTHS!

Nope, doesnt take any extra time over hunting for the street
number, and I havent searched for anything for MONTHS anyway.

And you get there much later than I do because you cripple along on a bike.

>>> So you do the sequencing of the sites in your head?

>> Yeah, basically.

>> Like I said, I havent found any GPS that will do the routing for you
>> and will allow for the difference between yard sales that do list a
>> full street address so you can find them before the official start
>> time, rather than the ones that just list the street name and use a
>> sign or balloons etc to indicate the specific house when they open.

>> And there is also the other variable of the start time that varys quite a bit, and the other factor, how interesting
>> what is advertised is to you.

>> It isnt that hard to do in your head when its a total of only say 30 at most.

> We had 40 today.

Yeah, but thats coz yours is a much bigger place than mine.

And your economy has tanked and mine hasnt.

> It takes 45 minutes to read the paper and mark the map.

Fark, wota dinosaur. Doesnt take me anything like that to
enter them in the GPS. Doesnt even take 15 secs per yard.

> The route changes during the day depending on a number of factors which can't be anticipated beforehand.

Like what ? How many nuns you run over and cripple on your bikes ?

> Cancellations are especially annoying.

We get very few of those.

> Proper strategy includes arriving at a good sale before the competition,

Yeah, found out yesterday that quite a few show up the day before. Havent tried that myself yet.

> most of whom buy for resale, while minimizing the total driving distance.

> And some people think this stuff is EASY!

And some make it hard for themselves by not using a GPS!!!

The Real Bev

Oct 19, 2008, 6:39:52 PM10/19/08
Rod Speed wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

> And you get there much later than I do because you cripple along on a bike.

That's only on Thursday or Friday. Those sales generally suck, but we
have to ride SOMEWHERE.

>> We had 40 today.
>
> Yeah, but thats coz yours is a much bigger place than mine.
>
> And your economy has tanked and mine hasnt.

Haven't noticed any difference in quality or quantity. We stopped going
to the "rich" areas long ago because those people think their shit is
gold plated.

>> It takes 45 minutes to read the paper and mark the map.
>
> Fark, wota dinosaur. Doesnt take me anything like that to
> enter them in the GPS. Doesnt even take 15 secs per yard.

That's 40 out of a possible 200 or so. Selection is everything.

>> The route changes during the day depending on a number of factors which can't be anticipated beforehand.
>
> Like what ? How many nuns you run over and cripple on your bikes ?

You get extra points if you grab their rosaries before they hit the ground.

--
Cheers,
Bev

Rod Speed

Oct 19, 2008, 8:48:06 PM10/19/08
The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote
> Rod Speed wrote
>> The Real Bev <bashley1...@gmail.com> wrote

>> And you get there much later than I do because you cripple along on a bike.

> That's only on Thursday or Friday. Those sales generally suck, but we have to ride SOMEWHERE.

>>> We had 40 today.

>> Yeah, but thats coz yours is a much bigger place than mine.

>> And your economy has tanked and mine hasnt.

> Haven't noticed any difference in quality or quantity.

You will.

> We stopped going to the "rich" areas long ago because those people think their shit is gold plated.

>>> It takes 45 minutes to read the paper and mark the map.

>> Fark, wota dinosaur. Doesnt take me anything like that to
>> enter them in the GPS. Doesnt even take 15 secs per yard.

> That's 40 out of a possible 200 or so. Selection is everything.

You can still select when doing it with a GPS.

>>> The route changes during the day depending on a number of factors which can't be anticipated beforehand.

>> Like what ? How many nuns you run over and cripple on your bikes ?

> You get extra points if you grab their rosaries before they hit the ground.

Bugger, why didnt you tell me ? I knew I must be doing something wrong.