Did anyone catch the frugal episode of HGTV's Designstar?

Seerialmom

Aug 13, 2007, 8:27:18 PM8/13/07
I couldn't wait to see this episode featuring one of my favorite
haunts, "The .99¢ Only Store". All the designers were given $399 and
99 minutes to shop; the room they were decorating had 3 white walls
and a generic Ikea white couch/coffee table. They could also spend
part of the $399 on 2 paint colors of their choice. The room only had
to have the illusion of style; not necessarily the function.

some of the designers used chili pods and pinto beans to make "rugs";
others used more traditional items like the candle plates and bamboo
that store has a gazillion of.

Myself...I think some were very creative in "repurposing" the items
but others could have done more; even if only 2 paint colors you could
still buy the following to make colors/dyes:

Beets, teabags, mustard.

Anyway...I'm sure it'll be repeated if you're interested.

The Usual Suspect

Aug 15, 2007, 2:18:04 AM8/15/07

I loved that episode! It was amazing, the way that those decorators
came up with creative ways to use that junk! The winner went way over
the top, though! He deserved to win, since they were told not to
worry about practicality, but looked like they had slapped him when
they told him that he was going to have to start doing some realistic
stuff. He's got the mentality of a 12 year old!

This season, the contestants are doing some great work!

Also, I'm going to dye a stained white outfit with something cheap and
natural. But I hate to waste my teabags. Would coffee work?

Gary Heston

Aug 15, 2007, 7:06:45 PM8/15/07
In article <1187158684.2...@j4g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
The Usual Suspect <ludmil...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[ ... ]

>Also, I'm going to dye a stained white outfit with something cheap and
>natural. But I hate to waste my teabags. Would coffee work?

It might. You could reuse teabags for dying; other natural options are
onion skins, turmeric, mustard, blueberries, and woad.

Note that natural dyes tend to fade quickly in sunlight.

Gary

--
Gary Heston ghe...@hiwaay.net http://www.thebreastcancersite.com/

Yoko Onos' former driver tried to extort $2M from her, threating to
"release embarassing recordings...". What, he has a copy of her album?

freeisbest

Aug 16, 2007, 4:46:49 PM8/16/07
On Aug 15, 2:18 am, The Usual Suspect <ludmillia...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Depends on the brand of coffee, some of the cheap instants
certainly stain your teeth. But think back to the last food you
stained your clothes with - if you liked the color to begin with,
there you are. For instance, if I didn't have a frontloader washer
and oxygen bleach, I would have a complete spaghetti-sauce-toned
wardrobe, with blueberry and strawberry accents.

Rod Speed

Aug 16, 2007, 5:22:10 PM8/16/07

The cheapest dyes would cost a lot less than using any food.

Seerialmom

Aug 16, 2007, 7:31:42 PM8/16/07
On Aug 14, 11:18 pm, The Usual Suspect <ludmillia...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> natural. But I hate to waste my teabags. Would coffee work?- Hide quoted text -

Yes! Coffee works as a dye, too (ask anyone who has spilled it by
accident on their white pants?). The Hawaii Shirt company sells
"coffee dyed" T-shirts already; I suppose the darker the coffee...the
deeper the brown?

Seerialmom

Aug 16, 2007, 7:35:59 PM8/16/07
On Aug 16, 2:22 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The cheapest dyes would cost a lot less than using any food.- Hide quoted text -

Yes...but you see the idea was they had money to buy at the 99¢ Only
Store...and chances are there were no fabric dyes (but they do have
kids watercolors in the stationery area)...but plenty of canned foods/
condiments that would have dyed fabric as well.

Dennis

Aug 16, 2007, 7:41:27 PM8/16/07
On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 13:46:49 -0700, freeisbest
<demeter...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Depends on the brand of coffee, some of the cheap instants
>certainly stain your teeth. But think back to the last food you
>stained your clothes with - if you liked the color to begin with,
>there you are. For instance, if I didn't have a frontloader washer
>and oxygen bleach, I would have a complete spaghetti-sauce-toned
>wardrobe, with blueberry and strawberry accents.

But you always look good in anything you eat.

Dennis (evil)

Rod Speed

Aug 16, 2007, 8:11:01 PM8/16/07

> Yes...but you see the idea was they had money to buy at the 99¢ Only Store...

Ours have fabric dyes.

> and chances are there were no fabric dyes (but they do have
> kids watercolors in the stationery area)...but plenty of canned
> foods/ condiments that would have dyed fabric as well.

Dunno, doubt too many of those are much use as permanent dyes.

The Usual Suspect

Aug 19, 2007, 4:43:30 AM8/19/07
On Aug 16, 5:11 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks all! I just bought coffee, and yes, I'm going to spring for
some RIT dye! Coffee costs a bundle these days!