Best frugal technology deal you've gotten

OhioGuy

Jan 4, 2008, 8:36:22 AM1/4/08
What's the best technology deal you've gotten in the past couple of
months?

For me, it was the PNY 2 GB USB flash drive I picked up at Staples for
$8.48 using a competitor's $15 off coupon. I actually got two of them, to
replace the old 512 MB ones my wife and I were using.

Al Bundy

Jan 4, 2008, 4:37:34 PM1/4/08

We are soooo impressed.

Marsha

Jan 4, 2008, 8:38:24 PM1/4/08

Sooooo, what's the best technology deal you've gotten?

Marsha/Ohio

Shawn Hirn

Jan 4, 2008, 11:14:57 PM1/4/08

Getting my employer to buy me a Palm Treo 700p and pay for my monthly
cell phone bill is probably the best frugal deal I did, but the boss
does actually expect me to answer my cell phone. Fortunately, work
related calls during off-hours are infrequent for me.

Gordon

Jan 5, 2008, 12:33:23 AM1/5/08
"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in news:fllcpc$f0h$1...@aioe.org:

Free iPod from Key Bank.

pc

Jan 7, 2008, 5:02:03 PM1/7/08

My best frugal technology purchase [not 'deal'..because I paid the going
rate] was an Asus eeepc that I got for Christmas.

My old laptop was on it's last legs so I went for the eeepc. I am in
love with this thing. And I am finally taking the Linux leap.

The only thing that I wish I could find is a cheap way to connect a
pcmcia Verizon card to USB. Any ideas out there?

..PC

Seerialmom

Jan 7, 2008, 7:43:42 PM1/7/08

Stumbled upon these Sony VRD-MC3 DVD recorders (mostly to record my
analog VHS tapes to DVD) at Sam's Club for $99.81 (MSRP is about
$299). Bought one for me and one for my brother. No PC needed; has a
little LCD screen on it.

Other recent "deals" though they pale in comparison to yours was about
10 USB 512MB flash drives I got at Target on clearance for $4.99 each;
made for nice stocking stuffers.

My favorite tech deal was the 50 cent Kodak "instant" camera I bought
at a silent auction about 20 years ago; I was able to turn that 50
cents into $50 because of a class action lawsuit; got $50 worth of
Kodak product vouchers...got ton's o' batteries with it.

Seerialmom

Jan 7, 2008, 7:45:12 PM1/7/08
On Jan 7, 2:02 pm, pc <p...@somewhere.com> wrote:
> Gordon wrote:
> > "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote innews:fllcpc$f0h$1...@aioe.org:

Isn't there a PCMCIA to USB adapter? I'm pretty sure I saw one
recently...check on frys.com .

Rod Speed

Jan 7, 2008, 9:30:27 PM1/7/08
Seerialmom <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2:02 pm, pc <p...@somewhere.com> wrote:
>> Gordon wrote:

>>> Free iPod from Key Bank.
>>
>> My best frugal technology purchase [not 'deal'..because I paid the
>> going rate] was an Asus eeepc that I got for Christmas.
>>
>> My old laptop was on it's last legs so I went for the eeepc. I am in
>> love with this thing. And I am finally taking the Linux leap.

>> The only thing that I wish I could find is a cheap way to
>> connect a pcmcia Verizon card to USB. Any ideas out there?

> Isn't there a PCMCIA to USB adapter?

Yes, but it wont do what he wants to do.

zcar...@yahoo.com

Jan 8, 2008, 12:24:27 AM1/8/08
On Jan 7, 8:30 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:

A 42" Olevia HDTV LCD 1080p for $650 which included coupon and rebate
from Micro Center.

Tockk

Jan 8, 2008, 1:16:49 AM1/8/08

"OhioGuy" <no...@none.net> wrote in message news:fllcpc$f0h$1...@aioe.org...

> What's the best technology deal you've gotten in the past couple of
> months?

A USB-to-Ouija board adaptor. Now my PC can tell the future.
-Tock

Logan Shaw

Jan 8, 2008, 1:32:01 AM1/8/08

If it really works, can I borrow it? I have some online stock trading
I want to do.

- Logan

m...@privacy.net

Jan 8, 2008, 12:08:06 PM1/8/08
pc <p...@somewhere.com> wrote:

>My best frugal technology purchase [not 'deal'..because I paid the going
>rate] was an Asus eeepc that I got for Christmas.

Can you give us a report on it?

Seerialmom

Jan 8, 2008, 1:06:30 PM1/8/08
On Jan 7, 6:30 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure I saw one recently...check on frys.com .- Hide quoted text -

You mean connect the PCMCIA to USB "cheaply"?

Rod Speed

Jan 8, 2008, 1:50:35 PM1/8/08
Seerialmom <seeri...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jan 7, 6:30 pm, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Seerialmom <seerial...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Isn't there a PCMCIA to USB adapter?
>>
>> Yes, but it wont do what he wants to do.
>>

>>> I'm pretty sure I saw one recently...check on frys.com

> You mean connect the PCMCIA to USB "cheaply"?

Nope, he doesnt want to connect PCMCIA to USB, he wants to
connect a pcmcia Verizon card to USB, a different matter entirely.

Dennis

Jan 8, 2008, 1:52:27 PM1/8/08

If Tock doesn't want to share, there is always the online version:

http://www.brainjar.com/dhtml/ouija/

Dennis (evil)

pc

Jan 8, 2008, 2:44:52 PM1/8/08

Yah..connect PCMCIA to USB 'cheaply'. The cheapest adapter I can find
is $150. Eek. I'd cannibalize an old laptop and solder on a USB
connection and encase it in a portable hard drive box if I could figure
out how. I'm pretty handy. But, clueless as to what would work.

I've been researching for a few weeks but haven't come up with anything.
That's why I asked here.

I know Verizon makes mobile broadband USB. But, they won't swap it out
for me. And I can't quite go to my employer and demand a USB
replacement for the card..as it's for my own personal use. Though my
new eeepc has wifi, it would be great to take advantage of the mobile
broadband card I have.

..PC

pc

Jan 8, 2008, 3:13:56 PM1/8/08

Sure!

I am in love with my eeepc. It weighs two pounds. Fits in my bag.
Does 99% of everything I do on a computer. All my peripherals work on
it. Comes with Linux Xandros, Open Office, Skype, webcam, etc.. Because
I've used Mozilla for years, with Windows, this was an easy transition
for me. And, I've added some programs to suit me without any problems.

Battery only lasts about three hours but Asus just announced that they
will be selling a longer lasting battery. The charger is the same size
as my cellphone charger [no big brick]..so I keep it in my little bag
for quick charges.

It does not have CD or PCMCIA slots [ergo my request for PCMCIA adapter
solutions]. But, the vast majority of time spent on the computer, for
me, does not involve using either of those things.

Check out www.eeeuser.com . It's a great site for info and help on the
eeepc [but not, alas, for help on my PCMCIA conundrum].

..PC

Anthony Matonak

Jan 8, 2008, 4:46:17 PM1/8/08
pc wrote:

> The only thing that I wish I could find is a cheap way to connect a
> pcmcia Verizon card to USB. Any ideas out there?

What does the Verizon card do? Wireless internet? Can't you find
a USB device that does the same thing? Something like this...
http://www.1800mobiles.com/verizon-novatel-s720-broadband.html

Anthony

Seerialmom

Jan 8, 2008, 5:01:56 PM1/8/08
> connect a pcmcia Verizon card to USB, a different matter entirely.- Hide quoted text -

Why is it different? He's got a Verizon PCMCIA "notebook" card and he
needs an adapter that will allow connection/use on a desktop (USB port
for example).

The Real Bev

Jan 8, 2008, 7:00:56 PM1/8/08
Linux and linux applications. Moreover we got $100 off on a demo Acer
notebook because the store couldn't get it to boot Vista, yielding a
$100 profit!

--
Cheers, Bev
The early bird gets the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.

Rod Speed

Jan 8, 2008, 7:58:40 PM1/8/08

> Why is it different?

Because the technology is completely different. A PCMCIA card that provides
a USB port is nothing like what is needed to run a PCMCIA card off a USB port.

> He's got a Verizon PCMCIA "notebook" card and he needs an adapter
> that will allow connection/use on a desktop (USB port for example).

Yes, and what you were talking about wont work in that situation.

There wont even be anywhere to plug the PCMCIA cards if the desktop doesnt have card ports.

de...@imply.net

Feb 26, 2008, 7:16:03 AM2/26/08
On Jan 4, 8:36 am, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:
>   What's the best technologydealyou've gotten in the past couple of

> months?
>
>   For me, it was the PNY 2 GB USB flash drive I picked up at Staples for
> $8.48 using a competitor's $15 off coupon.  I actually got two of them, to
> replace the old 512 MB ones my wife and I were using.

Not bad - I got an Olympus 7 megapixel digital camera from www.cutter.net
for $54 delivered.

WaterBoy

Feb 27, 2008, 2:10:52 AM2/27/08
.
wireless antennas [$75 each]
which picks up neighborhood internet.www

1 year ago i bought 2 -- 1 upstairs, 1 down
[saves me $30 a month]

waterboy

m...@privacy.net

Feb 27, 2008, 8:24:48 AM2/27/08
WaterBoy <wate...@financier.com> wrote:

What model/brand antennas? Have a link?

rick++

Feb 27, 2008, 9:44:45 AM2/27/08
I'm hoping to get one of theose digital convertor boxes free.
At least one store has indicated they may sell them for the
coupon price ($40). Possibly as a Black Friday enticement.

Too_Many_Tools

Feb 27, 2008, 5:49:12 PM2/27/08
On Jan 4, 7:36 am, "OhioGuy" <n...@none.net> wrote:
>   What's the best technology deal you've gotten in the past couple of

> months?
>
>   For me, it was the PNY 2 GB USB flash drive I picked up at Staples for
> $8.48 using a competitor's $15 off coupon.  I actually got two of them, to
> replace the old 512 MB ones my wife and I were using.

Nothing...

There are needs and there are wants.

Almost everything we desire are wants...optional purchases.

The best technology deal is when you don't buy it.

Technology items depreciate incrediably quickly.

I am typing this on a computer that seven years old and it is far more
than is needed for this application.

I used to be at the leading/bleeding edge of technology
acquisition...after a few cycles I determined that it was NOT the best
place for optimization of my resources of time and money.

TMT

m...@privacy.net

Feb 27, 2008, 9:48:14 PM2/27/08
Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Nothing...
>
>There are needs and there are wants.
>
>Almost everything we desire are wants...optional purchases.
>
>The best technology deal is when you don't buy it.
>
>Technology items depreciate incrediably quickly.
>
>I am typing this on a computer that seven years old and it is far more
>than is needed for this application.
>
>I used to be at the leading/bleeding edge of technology
>acquisition...after a few cycles I determined that it was NOT the best
>place for optimization of my resources of time and money.

Boy do I ever agree with the above!!!
I was same kind of person also!!

Question tho.... what IS the best place for
optimization of YOUR resources of time and money NOW?

Just curious what you do now

Too_Many_Tools

Feb 28, 2008, 1:56:54 AM2/28/08
On Feb 27, 8:48 pm, m...@privacy.net wrote:
> Just curious what you do now- Hide quoted text -

Considering that technology depreciates so quickly and new technology
is introduced on a three month cycle, I go way out of my way to buy
just discontinued equipment WHEN I NEED IT...not when I want it.

Also for computing resources, I like to buy equipment from companies
and schools that obselete equipment in terms of months....excellent
values at pennies on the dollar.

I just bought several digital cameras for gifts....85-90% discounts on
discontinued models that were current state of the art models at
Christmas. Same thing for cell phones...the lagging edge of tech is
much more fugal...IF YOU NEED IT.

Also for computers, wait at least for the first Vista maintainance
release before even considering buying a new machine....I hear that
there is a class action suit out now against Microsoft for rating
machines Vista ready that weren't. Why does that not surprise me?

TMT

Feb 28, 2008, 7:56:50 AM2/28/08

"Too_Many_Tools" <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

The easiest solution is to not buy a Vista machine. I just got a new system
for my 85 year old mother and was able to get her a machine with XP, not
Vista. The box is Vista capable, but since Vista is a twitchy resource pig I
had no intention of saddling her with something that sucks.

m...@privacy.net

Feb 28, 2008, 12:32:28 PM2/28/08
Too_Many_Tools <too_man...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Considering that technology depreciates so quickly and new technology
>is introduced on a three month cycle, I go way out of my way to buy
>just discontinued equipment WHEN I NEED IT...not when I want it.

Agree again!

I was always on the bleeding edge.... buy the latest
and greatest when it first came out

Naturally I lost my ass when a year or so later it was
worth pennies on the dollar or cost one tenth new!

Too_Many_Tools

Feb 28, 2008, 11:53:16 PM2/28/08
On Feb 28, 11:32 am, m...@privacy.net wrote:

LOL...join the club.

I have one of my first computers sitting on a shelf.

When I get the urge to spend money on new electronics, I get a beer
and sit and stare at it until the urge passes. ;<)

TMT

Too_Many_Tools

Feb 29, 2008, 3:52:34 AM2/29/08

Well here is a good example of the need versus want issue...do you
need Vista or do you just want it?

Now Bill...he needs you to want Vista.

TMT

Microsoft cuts Vista prices to urge upgrades

Microsoft Corp (MSFT.O) said on Thursday it plans to cut prices of its
Windows Vista operating system sold at retail outlets in a move aimed
at pushing customers to switch to the newest version of Windows.

The world's largest software maker said it plans to lower retail
prices for Vista in 70 countries later this year in tandem with the
shipment of the first major update to Vista, known as Service Pack 1
(SP1).

Packaged versions of Windows Vista sold at stores and on the Web
account for less than 10 percent of all licenses of the dominant
Windows operating system that sits on more than 90 percent of the
world's personal computers.

Most consumers opt to buy a new PC, which comes preloaded with the
latest version of Windows.

"We anticipate these changed will provide greater opportunities ... to
sell more stand-alone copies of Windows," said Brad Brooks, a
Microsoft corporate vice president.

In the United States, Microsoft will reduce prices for Windows Vista
Ultimate, the company's top-end operating system, to $319 from $399
for the full version and cut the price for an "upgrade" version to
$219 from $259 for consumers who already run Windows XP or another
edition of Vista.

It also cut prices for upgrade versions of Vista Home Premium, its
mainstream product, to $129 from $159. The price cuts vary by country.

In emerging markets, Microsoft will stop selling "upgrade" versions of
Vista, because, for many customers, it will be the first purchase of a
genuine copy of Windows. The company will instead sell Vista Home
Premium and Home Basic, a stripped-down version, at the upgrade
prices.

Microsoft has sold more than 100 million licenses of Vista since its
January 2007 release and its adoption has underpinned strong earnings
results at the company in recent quarters.

Nonetheless, some consumers have raised issues with Vista's
performance, stringent hardware requirement and lack of support for
other software and devices like printers. Microsoft said it would
continue to sell Windows XP until June 2008, delaying a scheduled
transition to Vista.

Brooks, who oversees consumer marketing of Vista, said he is confident
the company can bring in enough new customers to offset the revenue
declines from lowering prices after seeing the results of a recent
three-month promotional trial of lower Vista prices.

The announcement comes on the heels of sales data that showed a 30
percent drop in money spent for software at U.S. retailers in January,
according to market research firm NPD.

Microsoft said the announcement is unrelated to the sales data, which
the company said could be a result of inventory build-up after the
holiday shopping season.

(Reporting by Daisuke Wakabayashi, editing by Leslie Gevirtz)

Stormin Mormon

Mar 24, 2008, 1:47:39 PM3/24/08
Couple of USB "flash" or "jump" data storage. Also on Black Friday, got a 2
GB sim card for my digital camera.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus