Evading parking tickets

Bruce C. Miller

Nov 11, 2008, 1:35:35 PM11/11/08
I've gotten two parking tickets yesterday, both for expired license
plate tags. Normally, I'd give in and pay it, but since the expired
plates are from Pennsylvania and I moved to Virginia a year ago, I'm
thinking that if they tried to send a bill to my old address, it would
be returned to sender. I never got valid Virginia license plates, so
tracking me to my current address might not be easy.

Anyone tried to evade parking tickets or have a good reason to think I
might be able to get away without paying these? Together they are $80,
so it'd be nice to keep my hard-earned money, not to mention I'd hate
to see money going to a local government that hassles people with
stupid stuff like this.

Wilm...@gmail.com

Nov 11, 2008, 2:29:46 PM11/11/08

I at one time had more than 100 parking tickets all on the streets of
Los Angeles with a car that had expired Pennsylvania tags. I think
they may have got me for felony parking.

First thing is hide the tickets, you don't want some unrelated
incident to lead to the discovery that you are a scoflaw.

Next was I had to be careful getting in my car in the morning. I would
look carefully to see if maybe their was a police officer nearby
waiting to arrest me. Sometimes paranoia is a good thing.

Then, one must drive carefully. If the police are suspicious of you
they will run your plates and find you have no respect for laws, not a
good first impression with the po-po.

Lastly, you can never sell your car or register it. States do talk to
each other and before you can register or reregister the car they are
going to make you pay. Ride you car until it is junk.

I remember the day I said goodby to my car with more than 100 parking
tickets. The period to pay the infractions had passed and each ticket
ballooned in price, what was once a $25 ticket had now become
something like $100. I was tired of running and looking over my
shoulder. I removed the tickets, anything that could be traced back to
me and or my name, and for good measure I wiped down the interior to
remove any fingerprints. With a tear in my eye I bid fond farewell to
the car that served me so well over the years and left it on the curb.

I had left the car on the street in front of my apartment complex. It
continued to gather parking tickets. It grew dirty and the tires went
flat. Some one had broke a window and stole the radio that never
really worked right. I remember thinking, what an eyesore, I wish the
city wouldn't allow junk on the streets.

Then one day the inevitable happend; the car was removed and a load
was lifted from my heart. I promised my new car I would never allow it
to get a ticket and if it did, I would stand up and pay it right away.

Of course all this was before computers and The Denver Boot. Today
they know if you have a certain number of unpaid parking tickets and
then they boot it.

There is a difference between frugal and cheap. Get your cheap ass in
gear, pay the ticket, register your car and become a contributing part
of society

zzyzzx

Nov 11, 2008, 2:48:10 PM11/11/08
Pay up, deadbeat!

Bruce C. Miller

Nov 11, 2008, 3:04:31 PM11/11/08

I have zero shame in being cheap or a non-contributing member of
society.

I'll pay it, but I'll make a note to destroy some government property
equal to around $80 in value sometime in the future to make up for it.
It's only fair, after all.

curly'q

Nov 11, 2008, 3:56:22 PM11/11/08

There is no government property worth $80.00

The lowest priced item is a single round wooden toothpick and they start
at 97.50

LA

The Real Bev

Nov 11, 2008, 7:31:43 PM11/11/08
curly'q wrote:

And if you use it for something besides cleaning your teeth, it's a
federal crime.

Long ago when I worked at JPL I put one of those GI 3-shelf grey metal
bookcases on top of a GI grey metal table because I didn't have any
floor space; the inspectors wrote me up for misuse of government
property -- the bookcase is supposed to stand on the FLOOR, not a table.

I promised I'd take it down, but I never!

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Nov 11, 2008, 8:21:27 PM11/11/08

In San Francisco any car with 5 or more unpaid parking tickets can be
towed/booted. I have never heard of a state pursuing parking tickets
issued to cars from another state that do not remain in the state where
tickets were issued.

George Grapman

Nov 11, 2008, 8:26:10 PM11/11/08

Years ago I had a friend who lived near downtown. I told him that when
I registered my car I had to pay $120 in unpaid fines. He said that he
had 180. I noted that $180 was not bad for living in his area but meant
180 tickets. The fines were more than the car was worth. Eventually it
was towed and a got another car.

I bought a car from a friend once. She told me there were unpaid
tickets and promised to cover them it it was a problem. When I filed the
ownership papers I signed a statement asserting I did not own the car
when the tickers were issued. They told me they would get her when she
got another car. They never followed up.

Coffee's For Closers

Nov 11, 2008, 8:41:01 PM11/11/08
In article <d59e9a59-0067-4bb4-8b38-
7a4903...@c36g2000prc.googlegroups.com>, Wilm...@gmail.com
says...

> I at one time had more than 100 parking tickets all on the streets of
> Los Angeles with a car that had expired Pennsylvania tags. I think
> they may have got me for felony parking.

(snip)

> Lastly, you can never sell your car or register it. States do talk to
> each other and before you can register or reregister the car they are
> going to make you pay. Ride you car until it is junk.

In some states, the registration hold apparently extends to other
vehicles. I know someone who received a letter stating
basically, "You have been designated a Habitual Offender. You
can't own ANY more cars in California until you pay up." For
tickets that were years old, on vehicles that had already gone to
junkyards.

I think that this had been the regulation for a long time, but it
was only about ten years ago that they finally got their computer
system set up to cross-reference.

Previously, you could even pull stuff like selling the car to a
friend, and then buying it back (requesting new plates) to
disconnect the old parking tickets. You would still have to pay
the tax, etc on the sale, but that might be less than the
tickets.

Also, you used to be able to save up a few tickets, then go to
court, and get a discount on the total payment (due immediately.)
But not anymore, since they "de-criminalised" parking tickets,
and made them civil quasi-judgements (without any right to
request court.)

But, these days, the DMVs and other gubmint groups are really
hard-line. In some places, they can apparently check to see if a
parked car has insurance, and ticket or boot it, if it isn't.
And the terminal in a regular cop car can apparently check on
insurance status, too. So no more lying with a paper
proof-of-insurance document after you stop paying for the policy,
or with one that came out of your printer at home.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

phil scott

Nov 11, 2008, 10:28:18 PM11/11/08

I live in the San Francisco bay area... if you dont pay your parking
tickets they get added to your registration fees. ...I tried going to
court...no court...so i wrote a letter to the address given for
protests and asserted that the meter maid must have been on crack...
didnt work.

I got 6 tickets, 450 dollars worth in one week... the meter maids
circle the block like race cars, if your meter goes over by a minute
they slap ticket on it.... its 75 dollars for parking yer crotch
rocket on the sidewalk... accordingly I quit doing business in the
city.

Phil scott

Phil scott

Bay Area Holdout

Nov 12, 2008, 1:34:26 AM11/12/08

"Bruce C. Miller" <bm3...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Are you sure they are Parking Tickets? Parking Tickets are for illegal
parking. Might make sense to get on the Net and punch in the Virginia
Vehicle Code number(s) they say you violated. I'm sure they'll come up, they
do here in CA.

After awhile they'll make it into the systems and you could get a bench
warrant issued. Next time you ever get pulled over, out come the bracelets
and off you go. Tell it to the judge....
Happened to a guy I knew for pledging the pay a bus fare and he never did,
arrested when he got pulled over two years later!

Pay the fine, and get the right plates if you live in VA now, it's got to be
cheaper than the fines for your overdue tags back in PA.

BAHO

George

Nov 12, 2008, 8:09:36 AM11/12/08
Bruce C. Miller wrote:
> On Nov 11, 2:29 pm, Wilma6...@gmail.com wrote:
>> On Nov 11, 10:35 am, "Bruce C. Miller" <bm3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> There is a difference between frugal and cheap. Get your cheap ass in
>> gear, pay the ticket, register your car and become a contributing part
>> of society
>
> I have zero shame in being cheap or a non-contributing member of
> society.

There are ways to exit the country if you aren't interested in contributing.

> I'll pay it, but I'll make a note to destroy some government property
> equal to around $80 in value sometime in the future to make up for it.
> It's only fair, after all.

There is no such thing as "government property". We (except you) paid
for all of it.

George

Nov 12, 2008, 8:11:20 AM11/12/08

Thats what they would do in PA. If you leave an unregistered car on the
street it is a violation of the motor vehicle code. They will ticket you
and if you don't respond a bench warrant will be issued.

> Pay the fine, and get the right plates if you live in VA now, it's got to be
> cheaper than the fines for your overdue tags back in PA.
>
> BAHO

Exactly, get the plates or dispose of the car.

Bruce C. Miller

Nov 12, 2008, 10:44:33 AM11/12/08
On Nov 12, 8:09 am, George <geo...@nospam.invalid> wrote:
> Bruce C. Miller wrote:
> > On Nov 11, 2:29 pm, Wilma6...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> On Nov 11, 10:35 am, "Bruce C. Miller" <bm3...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> There is a difference between frugal and cheap. Get your cheap ass in
> >> gear, pay the ticket, register your car and become a contributing part
> >> of society
>
> > I have zero shame in being cheap or a non-contributing member of
> > society.
>
> There are ways to exit the country if you aren't interested in contributing.

I'd rather stay here and take advantage of the willfully ignorant
taxpayers if I can. Unfortunately, I'm taxed any time I buy stuff, so
making sure I'm a net deficit to society is harder work than it
sounds.

> > I'll pay it, but I'll make a note to destroy some government property
> > equal to around $80 in value sometime in the future to make up for it.
> > It's only fair, after all.
>
> There is no such thing as "government property". We (except you) paid
> for all of it.

When the government let's me take one of the aircraft carriers or
submarines out for a spin that, according to you, it doesn't own, then
I might believe that.

George

Nov 12, 2008, 11:55:54 AM11/12/08
Bruce C. Miller wrote:

> When the government let's me take one of the aircraft carriers or
> submarines out for a spin that, according to you, it doesn't own, then
> I might believe that.

But we own those things collectively and have designated something
called the "government" to operate them for us. Thats part of what
living in a society is all about. We agree to kick in for the common
good such as owning aircraft carriers and submarines for our defense.

George Grapman

Nov 12, 2008, 11:56:44 AM11/12/08
Most of my tickets have been when I do not have change for the meter
and get nailed because I either take a chance or am getting change. A
few years ago San Francisco introduced pre-paid parking cards in $20 and
$50 denominations. You insert them in the meter and time is deducted in
25 cent increments. I have not had a meter violation in years.

Don Klipstein

Nov 12, 2008, 7:04:18 PM11/12/08

In Philadelphia, it is illegal to park on the street a car that cannot
be legally driven. You can get parking tickets for expired registration
and expired inspection stickers. (I do not often see that actually
happen.) I just wish they got more aggressive against people
double-parking close to and even alongside empty parking spaces.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

Wilm...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2008, 4:59:01 PM11/13/08
On Nov 12, 4:04 pm, d...@manx.misty.com (Don Klipstein) wrote:

> >Thats what they would do in PA. If you leave an unregistered car on the
> >street it is a violation of the motor vehicle code. They will ticket you
> >and if you don't respond a bench warrant will be issued.
>
>   In Philadelphia, it is illegal to park on the street a car that cannot
> be legally driven.  You can get parking tickets for expired registration
> and expired inspection stickers.  (I do not often see that actually
> happen.)  I just wish they got more aggressive against people
> double-parking close to and even alongside empty parking spaces.
>

>  - Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)- Hide quoted text -

Side story about Pa.'s inspection stickers. One time I needed a
sticker. The local Guido's were out of them for some reason and I knew
my car couldn't pass inspection legally. So I drew one.

I got a piece of construction paper approx. the same color as the
sticker. I then free handed drew an inspection sticker, cut to size
and stuck it to the inside of my windshield with spit. It looked good
at about twenty feet, but not so much closer. It worked for nearly a
year.

So one day a cop with good eye sight and nothing better to do busted
me. I spent the night in jail and in the morning I went to court. I
was charged with counterfiting and was facing one to ten years for the
felony. I was given a court date and released OR. I winked at the
judge as he made me promise to appear on my date, at I believe the
twinkle in his eye affirmed what we both knew; I wasn't going to
appear. The next day I drove out of town and headed to Cally, swimming
pools and movie stars, and I never looked back.

DanG

Nov 15, 2008, 2:10:27 PM11/15/08
It is really sad you feel this way. YOU broke the law. YOU are
not carrying your fair share of the taxes everyone else pays (I
see license plate fees as a type of tax). And yet, you feel you
have the right to do it wrong and threaten damage and destruction
in retribution.

Really sad.
Probably symptomatic of one of the many things wrong in our
society.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Bruce C. Miller" <bm3...@gmail.com> wrote in message

phil scott

Nov 15, 2008, 3:44:09 PM11/15/08
On Nov 15, 11:10 am, "DanG" <dgrif...@7cox.net> wrote:
> It is really sad you feel this way.  YOU broke the law.  YOU are
> not carrying your fair share of the taxes everyone else pays (I
> see license plate fees as a type of tax).  And yet, you feel you
> have the right to do it wrong and threaten damage and destruction
> in retribution.
>
> Really sad.
> Probably symptomatic of one of the many things wrong in our
> society.
>
> --
> ______________________________
> Keep the whole world singing . . . .
> DanG  (remove the sevens)
> dgriff...@7cox.net
>
> "Bruce C. Miller" <bm3...@gmail.com> wrote in messagenews:a0f459eb-1968-48b9...@v22g2000pro.googlegroups.com...

> > On Nov 11, 2:29 pm, Wilma6...@gmail.com wrote:
> >> On Nov 11, 10:35 am, "Bruce C. Miller" <bm3...@gmail.com>
> >> wrote:
>
> >>  There is a difference between frugal and cheap. Get your cheap
> >> ass in
> >> gear, pay the ticket, register your car and become a
> >> contributing part
> >> of society
>
> > I have zero shame in being cheap or a non-contributing member of
> > society.
>
> > I'll pay it, but I'll make a note to destroy some government
> > property
> > equal to around $80 in value sometime in the future to make up
> > for it.
> > It's only fair, after all.- Hide quoted text -

Hi dan,
that attitude develops in a culture over time... government at first,
uncorrupt, of the people, by the people and for the people, all good
men gladly contribute, even giving their lives.

as govt goes corrupt... those feelings abate.

Leaving only patriots willing to support the corruption, you know,
kill a few milion camel jockies to nail one for wilfull l failure to
kiss its ass etc.... such govt perverts, supportsfraudulent monitary
and banking practices that create a 100 trillion dollar debt bubble
that ruins all nations and starves hundreds of millions (conservative
figures iin these vents).

Our founding fathers wrote the patriots duty in this case into the US
constitution..

. its good reading.... has to do with cutting the balls off of ones
own leaders in those cases..... surely not funding them.

Phil scott

The Real Bev

Nov 15, 2008, 6:19:54 PM11/15/08
DanG wrote:

> It is really sad you feel this way. YOU broke the law. YOU are
> not carrying your fair share of the taxes everyone else pays (I
> see license plate fees as a type of tax). And yet, you feel you
> have the right to do it wrong and threaten damage and destruction
> in retribution.

Look at it another way: Who among us ever voted to install parking
meters or limit parking? I'd like to get rid of the 2-hour limit in
front of my house; there's no reason for anybody but us residents to
park there, and it's a monumental nuisance to us.

I suppose I could get up a petition, of course...

--
Cheers,
Bev

George Grapman

Nov 15, 2008, 7:43:02 PM11/15/08
The Real Bev wrote:
> DanG wrote:
>
>> It is really sad you feel this way. YOU broke the law. YOU are not
>> carrying your fair share of the taxes everyone else pays (I see
>> license plate fees as a type of tax). And yet, you feel you have the
>> right to do it wrong and threaten damage and destruction in retribution.
>
> Look at it another way: Who among us ever voted to install parking
> meters or limit parking? I'd like to get rid of the 2-hour limit in
> front of my house; there's no reason for anybody but us residents to
> park there, and it's a monumental nuisance to us.
>
> I suppose I could get up a petition, of course...

In some areas of San Francisco residents of certain areas that have
such limits can get stickers that exempt them.
One problem is that as new areas get them adjacent areas with no
restrictions become harder to park in.
Some of the restricted areas are near BART station and other areas
with with decent public transit downtown to prevent commuters from
parking all day.

The Real Bev

Nov 15, 2008, 9:06:55 PM11/15/08
George Grapman wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
>> DanG wrote:
>>
>>> It is really sad you feel this way. YOU broke the law. YOU are not
>>> carrying your fair share of the taxes everyone else pays (I see
>>> license plate fees as a type of tax). And yet, you feel you have the
>>> right to do it wrong and threaten damage and destruction in retribution.
>>
>> Look at it another way: Who among us ever voted to install parking
>> meters or limit parking? I'd like to get rid of the 2-hour limit in
>> front of my house; there's no reason for anybody but us residents to
>> park there, and it's a monumental nuisance to us.
>>
>> I suppose I could get up a petition, of course...
>>
> In some areas of San Francisco residents of certain areas that have
> such limits can get stickers that exempt them.

They cost money and are for visitors only on a $$/night basis. Screw
'em. Our city officials are as corrupt as they come; why else would
they put decorative paving in crosswalks in the center of town and leave
the rest of us with heaved sidewalks (some have 6" differences between
adjacent squares) and potholes.

> One problem is that as new areas get them adjacent areas with no
> restrictions become harder to park in.
> Some of the restricted areas are near BART station and other areas
> with with decent public transit downtown to prevent commuters from
> parking all day.

Yeah. The limit was established when there were serious businesses
across the street and it was easier for their visitors to park on the
street than in the parking lot. Move 30 years later and the serious
businesses have become a mall with convenient parking, so nobody parks
in front of our houses any more -- none of the stores open onto my
street. But the parking limit is still there.

I really need to think about that petition.

--
Cheers, Bev
Self Test for Paranoia: You know you have it when you can't

George Grapman

Nov 15, 2008, 9:47:43 PM11/15/08
I got angry last year when I got two parking tickets. One was in a
two hour zone. I had parked there for about 90 minutes,left the city
for a few hours,returned ,parked a block away and got a ticket saying my
card had been parked there several hours early. Neither the people who
write the tickets nor the Department of Parking and Transportation could
tell me how long one has to leave the area or how far away they have to
be when they return

The other time I returned to my car at a metered space and a truck
was double parked. I went fond the driver and could not locate him. I
returned a few minutes later and I was nailed for an expired meter but
the truck was not tagged.

Both times I filed written protests which were denied and passed on
wasting hours at a hearing (you have to pay the fine before getting a
date and the agency that writes the tickets holds the hearings).

I do notice that both times I wrote an appeal letters came back
telling me that dues to a backlog it would be 3 to 4 months before I got
a hearing and in the interim the ticket would be held in abeyance. Since
the city has declared war or parkers I have returned the favor. One each
of the three tickets since then I have written an appeal as the choice
is pay $50 now or pay $50.41 in three or four months.

George Grapman

Nov 15, 2008, 9:59:47 PM11/15/08
Allow me to change the topic to moving violations. I have read that
the best way to beat these is to show up in court and hope the officer
does not appear. The procedure here if you contest it is:

Show up on or before the due date and go the the clerks office for an
arraignment date.

Show up on that date and either get a court date or ,if eligible,
traffic school.

Go to court for a hearing.

Last year I got my first ticket in about ten years. The cop said I
was doing 45 in a 25. While I may have been over the limit I know it was
not 46. Someone suggested going to court and paying attention the dates
people got. If they got different dates it meant they were setting them
by the cops calendar in which case I should take the school option but
if all got the a=same date I should ask for a hearing.

I got an arraignment date set and when I showed up and got the paper
work the officer never filed I report. I figured, great, maybe he is
lazy and will not show up. The clerk then called my name and several
others and said our cases were dismissed because of no report. I figured
one of the following happened:

Laziness by the officer.
Paperwork got lost.
Cop saw I had asked for a hearing,remembered I was polite a figured
two trips to court was sufficient. If that was the case it worked as I
am very careful on that street now.

phil scott

Nov 15, 2008, 11:55:58 PM11/15/08
> is pay $50 now or pay $50.41 in three or four months.- Hide quoted text -

i and others avoid the city;;; so now when any building there needs
construction work they
get few bids, high bids...

I do my businesa where I dont get screwed... the city is now in dire
financial straights, business is off, tax base is in collapse; I
told em if they dont want to go broke they better quit screwing the
people who do business there

its not rocket science

Phil scott

George Grapman

Nov 16, 2008, 12:53:45 AM11/16/08

As I am sure you know tickets just went up. That means more shoppers
getting dinged and heading for a mall next time.

Don Klipstein

Nov 16, 2008, 1:46:57 AM11/16/08
In article <pOITk.3488$Wd1....@newsfe06.iad>, The Real Bev wrote:
>DanG wrote:
>
>> It is really sad you feel this way. YOU broke the law. YOU are
>> not carrying your fair share of the taxes everyone else pays (I
>> see license plate fees as a type of tax). And yet, you feel you
>> have the right to do it wrong and threaten damage and destruction
>> in retribution.
>
>Look at it another way: Who among us ever voted to install parking
>meters or limit parking? I'd like to get rid of the 2-hour limit in
>front of my house; there's no reason for anybody but us residents to
>park there, and it's a monumental nuisance to us.

Most residential streets in high-parking-demand areas of Philadelphia
don't have meters, but have signs saying 2 hour limit except for people
who have residential parking permits of the particular number of the area
in question. The car has to have address that its registration is based
on in the area for its particular number residential parking permit.

For example, if you live on a high parking demand block in University
City, and your car is registered there, you can get a permit with the
appropriate number (I forget what that number is - maybe 2 or 3)). With
that permit, you can park anywhere with no time limit on any unmetered
block with signs indicating time limit without that particular number
permit - that is, most residential blocks in University City with time
limit. Anyone who does not live there is subject to a 2 hour limit 8 AM
to 8 PM or whatever except for Sundays and legal holidays.

Any resiential block in Philadelphia with parking meters (it appears to
me there are a few, but only few) are for those without cars or for those
well heeled enough to have their own parking garage spaces rented or
owned.

- Don Klipstein (d...@misty.com)

phil scott

Nov 16, 2008, 12:12:31 PM11/16/08
> getting dinged and heading  for a mall next time.- Hide quoted text -

'dinged'? dinged you say? $50 is way more than some peoples
entire disposable income for a year. .. the same people cutting thier
pills in half, or going without dinner... all so the meter maids
can get 48k a year, and police can retire at more than a working
physician earns. ($150 to 200k a year... and rising fast believe it
or not)

Total outrage will ensue of course, but not until its too late.

Phil scott

George Grapman

Nov 16, 2008, 2:16:30 PM11/16/08

One thing has improved in SF. At one time if there was street cleaning
between,say, between 7 a.m. and 10 a.m. they would write tickets before
the cleaning and then return an hour or so later and write more tickets
proving it was revenue and not a cleaning program.
They no longer do this and if you find a street cleaner and get
behind it you can park.

aine...@gmail.com

Nov 25, 2008, 2:32:16 AM11/25/08
i think u better pay because u will leave in scared that police will
arrested u..
good luck in paying them=]

xoxo,
aineecumi

neway, my secret to release tension is playing this game <a
href=http://www.gamestotal.com> http://www.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://uc.gamestotal.com> http://uc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://gc.gamestotal.com> http://gc.gamestotal.com </a> <a
href=http://3700ad.gamestotal.com> http://3700ad.gamestotal.com </a>