Ant Killer/Repellent- OXI CLEAN spray! Snail Bait Copy SLUGGO uses IRON PHOSHATE

David L

Nov 1, 2008, 4:36:36 PM11/1/08
Hi all,
I know the common house ants, at least around here in Coastal
California are the tiny Argentine Ant, non native apparently arriving
as a stow away, are very easy to kill with nearly any household
cleaner. I've been using the expensive but until recently effective,
TERRO Liquid bait that uses something similar to BORIC ACID. I'm not
sure if it's a slightly different compund or just a longer scientific
name for the same chemical, so people didn't know they were spending
so much for something very cheap? I've also tried making my own.
Either I have too many ants that just keep folowing each others trails
when one colony gets under control or it's losing effectiveness.

In a nutshell I tried OXI CLEAN spray inside the full garbage and
around the place where ants were entering the kitchen en mass, after
they launch a garbage can raid one night. They just dissapaeread and
don't come back for several days the first time. I'd urge anyone else
to try it and see if they get the excellent repellAnt effects which I
have noticed and post the results.
The ants just leave and stop coming back after getting sprayed for at
least several days. To confine the OXI CLEAN spray, I simply spray
some on a paper towel and wipe all around where they come in and along
any of their "chemical highways" that they are traveling on around the
kitchen. Remember I'm only using this on hard kitchen surfaces and
that the active principle of OXI CLEAN says Hydrogen Peroxide. It's a
fairly strong, non chlorine type OXIDIZER and will bleach or break
down any number of household items. I'd be careful around natural
fibers (eyeballs & nasal passages too) or anything that you don't want
bleached or oxidized. Doesn't seem to harm my paint or floor.

I'm not sure how OXI CLEAN works, but my best guess is it beaks down
the chemicals that ants use to communicate where they travel and so
get lost or confusing messages. It may have the effect of leaving them
"blind" about where to go to get to the food source, but that's just a
guess. I'm pretty excited about how long this stuff lasts and how
quickly it stops a huge line of ants that have found a bowl of sugery
or fatty food accidentally left out. They just STOP coming after the
trail and around there entryway is wiped down with a little OXI CLEAN.
OXI CLEAN is made by the Orange Glow International USA.
Good luck!

Next I'll be working on making my own SNAIL KILLER, a copy of the
German made commercial product SLUGGO which uses IRON PHOSPHATE 1% and
a bait of some kind (+ corn meal?) to constipate snails and they just
STOP EATING, crawl off and die. No masses of dead snail shells they
just stop showing up! The rest of bait material gets used by plants as
iron fertilizer. It's NON TOXIC! Unless your a snail! Got to locate a
small amount of IRON PHOSPHATE powder? At one percent concentration,
you could make a very large amount. Probably mixing it in well with
corn meal, should be a good bait? Possibly wetting to get a hard
pellet, unless this changes the iron phosphate?
Applying at least twice, first to kill the adults and then again (in a
couple of weeks?) to kill the hatchlings, seems to be an important
schedule to follow, in order to wipe out all the snails for an
extended time.
Anywhere to get IRON PHOPHATE?
-
Dave