Where's the rice?

Frank

Apr 24, 2008, 11:29:46 AM4/24/08
None at the local Sam's Club or Costco for the last couple of weeks, had to
go to an Asian store to get some ... wow, and I thought gas prices are high.
For the US, farmers must be switching form rice to corn for the ethanol
thing. I didn't know that many people eat rice (or hoard rice), we're
switching more to bread and pasta while still available.

Seerialmom

Apr 24, 2008, 1:24:06 PM4/24/08

I saw articles yesterday that Sam's Club was limiting customers to
4-20lb bags of rice. Probably similar at Costco. But I rarely eat
rice myself..so no biggy. No idea why there's a shortage, but it's
affecting people in other countries more.

Al Bundy

Apr 24, 2008, 7:15:23 PM4/24/08

I'm buying 5# bags of brown rice for just over $2 at a local chain.
Next time I go I plan to stock up more as this is a good price.

catalpa

Apr 24, 2008, 9:17:41 PM4/24/08

" Frank" <nore...@nothome.net> wrote in message

Why not just go to a supermarket? There are no problems here buying
American rice. Last week at one store a 20 lb bag of Carolina rice was on
sale for $6.99 and another store had 2 lb bags of rice for $1.00 (advertised
as 10 for $10.00).